forum

[added] New beatmap category for good unrankable mapsets

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,918
show more
kouzuki_karen
scrolling this page makes my PC lag
drflash55
Bump...

I wish I could support this.

I'll just make a comment in spite of supporting this with stars, because I have none.

Edit: Just saw that I had two votes...

I gave one...

Waiting to see this turn out to be a reality.
Bara-
What a bump
Latest post was 6 hours xD
Yauxo
Maybe he's just waiting for osu!next for all the greater-scale changes.
abraker

Desperate-kun wrote:

abraker wrote:

It's prob because he is too busy working on other stuff so this is not much of a priority right now.
That doesn't mean what I said is wrong though...
I would be VERY surprised if he just eats all the stars like that.
NeTRare
Seems like a good idea. Just spent 64 stars on this.
abraker
Wow this has more stars than the pp ExGon has!
Endie-
Holy shit i thought I was looking at some kind of maze
ztrot
Hello! it seems you are all wanting a new category for beatmaps, but this has been done in the past and the results were a mixed bag. It is a shame to see so many votes on something that essentially could be done by anyone with a bit of free time. Unrankable maps are just that unrankable.... this doesn't mean they aren't good in there own right hell some of them could be amazing! But there is no need to create a category for something we wouldn't allow to save scores for, that is kinda all there is to this discussion. I mean if you really want no one is stopping you from making your own little blog or something listing out all the best gimmick maps, I mean if we were to make a category for things we wouldn't track score it would just be as effective as a personal ran blog. I understand some of you are newer around here so you wouldn't know but we have tried this and it failed it was reverted, and there is no sense in repeating ourselves.
abraker

ztrot wrote:

But there is no need to create a category for something we wouldn't allow to save scores for, that is kinda all there is to this discussion. .
The point IS to save scores, but disable pp ranking for these maps, just like those several old TAG4 maps that got derakend way back. It should be a section for maps which we love but will possibly never get properly ranked due to either the mapper going inactive, not meeting the ranking criteria, and so on.

ztrot wrote:

I mean if you really want no one is stopping you from making your own little blog or something listing out all the best gimmick maps.
Please, it's better to have it centralized. I have enough headaches going through the various fan made ranking or beatmap listings sites as sone include helpful features others don't have and have yet to be implemented on the official osu! page.
Halogen-
I don't remember if I've commented in here before, but I do recall seeing this thread on numerous occasions.

I'm willing to bet that there are two reasons as to why this is not feasible to implement. The first reason is that it is substantially more taxing on resources for the website. Every single difficulty of a beatmap that has scores saved to it are going to require a point where all of that data can be held. People need to also understand something else with that: just because you can only see the top 50 on a beatmap's page does not mean that the rest of those scores are not put into database tables. There's a reason why when a song is picked, you see #x out of y players. Sure, there are a lot of beatmaps now, and one could ask "well, if there's this much here, why can't there be more?" There are a finite number of resources for holding all of these scores and other data, and this category increases the flow of maps having data associated with it -- the consequence of this becomes scalability. Resources would be utilized at much higher rates than before.

The second reason I could see this not being implemented: it sets really bad precedents. While I myself do not agree with some aspects of ranking criteria, it does exist for a reason, and it helps to define a very clear scope that content must follow before being ranked. Making this secondary category sets up a situation for tremendous amounts of subjectivity. Until very clear parameters are set for this, it will be nothing but problems -- and at that point, if you're going to set so many requirements up in the first place, you might as well try and achieve ranked status.
Bara-
Uhm, aren't only the scores saved, and not the replays?
If only scores are saved, this is not that much of a problem
abraker

Halogen- wrote:

The second reason I could see this not being implemented: it sets really bad precedents. While I myself do not agree with some aspects of ranking criteria, it does exist for a reason, and it helps to define a very clear scope that content must follow before being ranked. Making this secondary category sets up a situation for tremendous amounts of subjectivity. Until very clear parameters are set for this, it will be nothing but problems -- and at that point, if you're going to set so many requirements up in the first place, you might as well try and achieve ranked status.
Not every single map in existence should be under this category, so I think it should be under the subjectivity of a group that knows a good map when they see one. I want this to be more like an honor system where a beatmap is nominated because it a display of quality and/or popularity.

I am thinking the system should be based on nominations just how the monthly charts work. Every month the BNs and QATs should chose a set of graveyarded maps that weren't updated for years and verify whether the mapper plans to work on the map to push it towards rank. If the mapper says that he/she doesn't plan to rank it or doesn't respond within a month, then that map can be put on a list to be nominated by them.

I would expand this more towards the community, but I fear we are going to get more spam of mappers posting their own maps, unplayable maps or yet another TV sized shit (in mania's case).

Also this should be per-map and not per-mapset. Otherwise there would be some unjustified combinations like one awesome map and unfinished shit.
Kayla
I would support this but it seems like the solution in 2015 going into 2016 is to just rank the unrankable gimmick maps.
abraker

Kayla wrote:

I would support this but it seems like the solution in 2015 going into 2016 is to just rank the unrankable gimmick maps.
I don't want those kind of beatmaps to be mixed with normal beatmaps. Also, this will encourage to mappers to map more gimmick maps rather than actual beatmaps. The only way I see this working is by nominating age old beatmaps.
Sea_Food

Kayla wrote:

Also, this will encourage to mappers to map more gimmick maps rather than actual beatmaps.
This ofcourse is in no way a problem or a negative.
Valentine
This would be heaven for me
-Nero Yuki-
I think it's a good idea, if one map can't be ranked or hard to be ranked but have a high enough favourite times (yes, favorite) it can be moved to the "player's choice" category or something like that, +1 vote :)
p/s imagine if centepede have scoreboard, that would be D everywhere ^^
lilynya

abraker wrote:

I don't want those kind of beatmaps to be mixed with normal beatmaps. Also, this will encourage to mappers to map more gimmick maps rather than actual beatmaps.
It's too late man
abraker

Aeii wrote:

abraker wrote:

I don't want those kind of beatmaps to be mixed with normal beatmaps. Also, this will encourage to mappers to map more gimmick maps rather than actual beatmaps.
It's too late man
trying not to loose hope
Yauxo
Darn these mappers, having fun while mapping! swings fist furiously
lilynya

Yauxo wrote:

fun while mapping
what
Bara-
The more I think about it, the less harm will it create
If people want to follow gimmick instead of rank just let them.
This'll leave more room for mappers who want to get their maps formally ranked ^_^
Yauxo

Aeii wrote:

Yauxo wrote:

fun while mapping
what
FUN WHILE MAPPING
lilynya

Yauxo wrote:

FUN WHILE MAPPING

WHAT
Yauxo

Aeii wrote:

Yauxo wrote:

FUN WHILE MAPPING

WHAT
FUN WHILE MAPPING

Really though, this has so many stars, why is there still no statement (or did I miss it) ;w;
Okoratu
I think there's a statement from ztrot somewhere on this thread that we're wasting our stars
Yauxo
nice
Toadsworth

ztrot wrote:

Hello! it seems you are all wanting a new category for beatmaps, but this has been done in the past and the results were a mixed bag. It is a shame to see so many votes on something that essentially could be done by anyone with a bit of free time. Unrankable maps are just that unrankable.... this doesn't mean they aren't good in there own right hell some of them could be amazing! But there is no need to create a category for something we wouldn't allow to save scores for, that is kinda all there is to this discussion. I mean if you really want no one is stopping you from making your own little blog or something listing out all the best gimmick maps, I mean if we were to make a category for things we wouldn't track score it would just be as effective as a personal ran blog. I understand some of you are newer around here so you wouldn't know but we have tried this and it failed it was reverted, and there is no sense in repeating ourselves.
I mean the community hasn't changed AT ALL since then...
MashiroSymphony
So I think what this is missing is a post containing specifics of the request.

small example below

What should this be now? My opinion: Submitted maps that will not go for ranked but are finished and unchanged for a longish time but do have
community support and love to want a Scoreboard that maybe has the top 50 replays but does not give PP.

-Map Submitted and unchanged for example 6 months.
-Map has for example 500 favourites or more to represent the community wanting a scoreboard and then could either get a scoreboard or apply to get
a scoreboard and someone in charge to give a greenlight.
-Scoreboard should be added with a warning for no PP.
-Replays maybe for top 50
-Quality Control there should be no Quality control except the amount of favourites, in my opinion this should open the map up for this kind of scoreboard
but ofc no NSFW stuff or other big problems that do not apply to the mapping in itself.

This is all debetable but I think to make this request happen we need to present a plan and I am sure someone can make a better post containing all problems with this
and how it could really be implemented.

Maybe Peppy can give some input again on this request because of the amount of stars?
Sotarks

Okoratu wrote:

I think there's a statement from ztrot somewhere on this thread that we're wasting our stars
That's a sad story...
It's actually a pretty good idea, but anyway.. xD
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
That is not necessarily true. If this request had no chances of ever being implemented it'd probably have been marked as invalid. As far as I know we don't have an official opinion on this from the staff.
GhostFrog
I have no idea whether or not this was meant as an official opinion from the staff, but for reference, here's what ztrot said about it:

ztrot wrote:

Princess Jish
YES PLEASE
I enjoy a lot of gimmick and troll maps
CookieSlay3r

There's a lot of stars lol
AncuL

CookieSlay3r wrote:

There's a lot of stars lol
african childrens could eat those stars
SubZ
Ranked
Qualified and Approved
Pending
Graveyard
2010 - 2013 mad science experiments
CTB Mazes

The possibilities are endless \o/
Electovoid
This would be briliant - there are so many EXTREMELY popular unrankable maps (heck arles maps definitely come to mind) that it would be brilliant to have a scoreboard on
Though I definitely feel there should be a criteria as many have mentioned. Though, definitely not a strict one.

Personally, I thought of having a system where users could 'vote' on maps that haven't been updated or ranked after a certain time period. (say, 6 months).
>If a map reaches a certain amount of votes, it would be placed on a 'To be approved' list
>Then, these maps would simply be checked for profanity, nsfw and non mapping based problems that might arise.
>After the check they are then given a leaderboard.

Though, as someone mentioned previously - I definitely think there needs to be a warning that no pp is given for the map.

This is definitely a feature Id LOVE to see added - I enjoy so many unranked maps that will just, never be ranked ;___;
mizuki-chan
Denied ^-^
Miterosan

mizuki-chan wrote:

Denied ^-^
no
show more