forum

[added] New beatmap category for good unrankable mapsets

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,918
show more
abraker
This should go down into the newsletter as the first request to receive 10k kudosus stars!

Yauxo

abraker wrote:

10k kudosus!
Stars, I think. 10k kd would be massive o:

Also, peppy, where are you D:
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
>10K stars
eeezzzeee

baraatje123 wrote:

If this'll get added (which I highly doubt) is that people only go for this type of rank, and put no effort in real ranking their map
Is nobody thinking about this... What mapper wants to make a full difficulty spread and follow rules of ranking criteria when they can just make 1 difficulty however they want and get it (new beatmap categorized) ?

I mean just look at how the approved category is killing off full size 3:00 ~ 4:59 length maps. Some people even wanted to loop the mp3 so it is longer and can be approved. If this is implemented it's pretty much guaranteed there will be less normal ranked content and I'm sure that's not what anyone wants.

Congrats for 10k stars though! But I don't support
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

eeezzzeee wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

If this'll get added (which I highly doubt) is that people only go for this type of rank, and put no effort in real ranking their map
Is nobody thinking about this... What mapper wants to make a full difficulty spread and follow rules of ranking criteria when they can just make 1 difficulty however they want and get it (new beatmap categorized) ?

I mean just look at how the approved category is killing off full size 3:00 ~ 4:59 length maps. Some people even wanted to loop the mp3 so it is longer and can be approved. If this is implemented it's pretty much guaranteed there will be less normal ranked content and I'm sure that's not what anyone wants.

Congrats for 10k stars though! But I don't support
That shouldn't happen since this isn't meant to exist for normal maps, so maps that don't "break any rule" would still need a full difficulty spread. This kind of maps would still need to follow the song and they are mostly harder to make due to their complexity.
eeezzzeee

Default wrote:

That shouldn't happen since this isn't meant to exist for normal maps, so maps that don't "break any rule" would still need a full difficulty spread.
Eighto isn't breaking any rules (other than not having a difficulty spread I guess), it's just ugly as heck.

Besides, my point is that if this is implemented many mappers will stop making normal ranked stuff and make break rules stuff for this instead. Its just so much easier/more fun/more creativity/etc.
-Aeryn-

eeezzzeee wrote:

Default wrote:

That shouldn't happen since this isn't meant to exist for normal maps, so maps that don't "break any rule" would still need a full difficulty spread.
Eighto isn't breaking any rules (other than not having a difficulty spread I guess), it's just ugly as heck.

Besides, my point is that if this is implemented many mappers will stop making normal ranked stuff and make break rules stuff for this instead. Its just so much easier/more fun/more creativity/etc.
First line is your opinion. Looks like a pretty beautiful map to me.

#2 - if there's a mass exodus of people making official maps because it's so much easier, more fun, allows for more creativity etc in the new system.. Then isn't the new system better? Those are very important metrics.
Bara-
It already did
silmarilen

-Aeryn- wrote:

#2 - if there's a mass exodus of people making official maps because it's so much easier, more fun, allows for more creativity etc in the new system.. Then isn't the new system better? Those are very important metrics.
this so much.

too bad the staff thinks new players are more important than good players (look at the rule that you need at least a decent low diff spread in your mapset but insane/extra arent required), and this change would mostly cause more hard maps.
helix
Mad support for this, it would make a lot of people happy :)
abraker
Holy Osu! This got ~400 more stars within several hours. Are we going for 20k?
OzzyOzrock
It can be arranged
do it do it
Vuelo Eluko
all my stars to this
Wishy
@People who complain about mappers going for this category because less effort.

Who cares, most maps that are gonna end up there are either extremely difficulty for over 99% players for whatever reasons. You can sugar coat it a low but in the end they are just gonna be very hard maps designed for fun for very high level players, that's what this is about. There are a few maps using some gimmicks like jubeat style or DJMax but what's gonna get spammed there are just hard maps where mappers don't want to spend a lot of time mapping easy difficulties.

Problem is you want to avoid everything involved with the current ranking system. This means BATs and whatever should have no word about what can and cannot go in this category, because we all know how it goes, even if this happens to exist most stuff will end up dead because some guy decided it's not gimmicky enough or that the mapper is just lazy.

I've said this ages ago but maybe getting some... idk something like BATs but instead of mappers let it be players and if you get like 3 or 4 players on that group approve the map then it just gets into that category and can't be modified any further (because scoreboard issues). Ofc let's say you just need 1 BAT approval because players who don't know much about mapping (because they actually spend their time playing the game) won't be able to notice some issues like maybe timing things and some technical things I don't even know about.
Vuelo Eluko
i just want a form of ranking that is outside the reach of petty QAT's and their opinions they use as word of law.

too many maps that made it through the arduous process of getting approved by BAT's and so much effort by the mappers to polish them only for someone who is arbitrarily in power and has to follow no guidelines for judging a map to say "ugly, remap" "unreadable" or the like and shoot it down.
Bobbias
I want to address the argument that this will promote low effort maps. I would like to point out that due to the current rules, it's already easy to rank low effort maps. Just look at how many 2 difficulty TV Size maps exist. If you search "TV Size" in all ranked beatmaps more than half the maps on the first page are 2 diff TV Size maps. And it's not just old maps either.
Wintermourn
:!: this has become a wall of stars :P
Bara-
Almost 11k
I want this so badly now ;w;
-Atri-
Vegeta, what did the scouter say about it's star priority?
- Sugoi Sugoi -
this is so many stars peppy better do this >.>
Seijiro
How the heck all these stars ended here...
cracker12_old
i was already thinking of this for such a long time XD we really need this instead of ranked and unranked make something inbetween or instead of unranked make them the same as ranked but without getting any pp from it
Rilene
Eh, bump.

Also this would be very nice to have, for separating good maps with unrankable elements and a effortless/inexperienced maps (honestly, there are some).
Bara-
Yes please
Yauxo
11k stars speak for themselves, Im still waiting for a statement.
Wojowu
Why is this not a thing yet
abraker

Wojowu wrote:

It's not hard to disable pp for a map and just leave scores. It's probably making a proper catagory listing on the website and ingame which is holding this back. I think this is more likely to be implemented when the devs will be up to the beatmap listing on the new site.
Pituophis

abraker wrote:

Wojowu wrote:

It's not hard to disable pp for a map and just leave scores. It's probably making a proper catagory listing on the website and ingame which is holding this back. I think this is more likely to be implemented when the devs will be up to the beatmap listing on the new site.
The problem is picking which maps to give a leader board. At least, that's the biggest problem I can think of with this.
Stefan
Oh my god, the star amount.

Bump.
XinCrin
It was known as approved beatmaps. Anyways, I want this! :D
Myxo
I'm really asking myself, if it already has so many stars and has not been implemented yet, there must be a good reason for it... Maybe peppy simply doesn't want to promote gimmick maps, or atleast doesn't want them officially listed, as osu! is still a rhythm game that aims for maps being sightreadable etc, which would not be the case with these maps? Like, maybe he doesn't want those maps to represent the game as a whole.
abraker

Desperate-kun wrote:

I'm really asking myself, if it already has so many stars and has not been implemented yet, there must be a good reason for it... Maybe peppy simply doesn't want to promote gimmick maps, or atleast doesn't want them officially listed, as osu! is still a rhythm game that aims for maps being sightreadable etc, which would not be the case with these maps? Like, maybe he doesn't want those maps to represent the game as a whole.
It's prob because he is too busy working on other stuff so this is not much of a priority right now.
Myxo

abraker wrote:

Desperate-kun wrote:

It's prob because he is too busy working on other stuff so this is not much of a priority right now.
That doesn't mean what I said is wrong though...
kouzuki_karen
scrolling this page makes my PC lag
drflash55
Bump...

I wish I could support this.

I'll just make a comment in spite of supporting this with stars, because I have none.

Edit: Just saw that I had two votes...

I gave one...

Waiting to see this turn out to be a reality.
Bara-
What a bump
Latest post was 6 hours xD
Yauxo
Maybe he's just waiting for osu!next for all the greater-scale changes.
abraker

Desperate-kun wrote:

abraker wrote:

That doesn't mean what I said is wrong though...
I would be VERY surprised if he just eats all the stars like that.
NeTRare
Seems like a good idea. Just spent 64 stars on this.
show more