forum

[added] New beatmap category for good unrankable mapsets

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,918
show more
Raging Bull
Yarissa
I'm not quite sure why map quality should be a requirement when gimmick maps would give no pp. Is it so the server doesn't need to store more data? I can't see it as being something super intensive on the server end, however, I'm not quite sure of what the ranking servers are capable of.

If quality isn't a big issue, then there should be something similar to how the qualification system works imo. It would be similar to how the community votes work, except without the BAT/ QAT ranking process. If the community votes that they want a zapy map to have a gimmick leaderboard, it should be as simple as that. A few votes and huzzah! a gimmick leaderboard is now there! Maybe some LIGHT quality checks to make sure the map isn't absolute shit, but really, there are some pretty bad maps out there that are already ranked. And nobody is gonna vote on someone's first map that has the quality of 2007 mapping with no distance snapping/ improper timing or what not. Not to mention, there are a lot of mappers who just plain don't want to deal with ranking criteria (like having an easy on there map). I'd love to see some maps that have just that one hard difficulty getting a gimmick leaderboard. (Silynn maps pleaseeeee)

I'm sure all of my opinions and questions have been stated before (I didn't really read much of the thread), but I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw my opinion out here just incase.
Katarai_old
I'm new to the game but isn't the whole point of ranking maps to make them available for competative play? You would be creating a paradox by adding scoreboards to maps than are not intended for this.

Theres no issue with 100% of maps being ranked though.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

Katarai wrote:

I'm new to the game but isn't the whole point of ranking maps to make them available for competative play? You would be creating a paradox by adding scoreboards to maps than are not intended for this.
Aren't scoreboards considered competitive play too? How can a map not be made to have one, will the universe implode?
GhostFrog

Katarai wrote:

Theres no issue with 100% of maps being ranked though.
A map that's ranked is supposedly high quality and official. In reality, a ranked map is just a map that enough people with fancy titles have verified as adhering to somewhat arbitrary ranking criteria (and more recently, it also means the fun police QAT have checked to make sure the AR is at least .5 above what would be ideal). I agree with you that the best solution would just be to rank a wider variety of maps (though I'm not sure if I agree or not with 100% of maps being ranked), but that's not going to happen. Ranking maps that are the wrong type of fun would ruin the pristine image of ranked maps as a generic and boring set of official maps, so we have this request instead.
ziin
I just didn't want BlythE to disappear into the abyss that was the graveyard. At the time, old graved maps were unable to be downloaded.

You'll note I added a mediafire mirror to airwave for that purpose, and whenever mm201 finishes his skinnable sliders, I'll fix airwave and go for whatever archival of the map I can get.

Obviously I approve.
CookEasy
So 8k stars + from community are enough to be forgotten that fast? Or is there any progress going on that..? Would be really sad if that idea just gets dismissed by the fact of that huge community support..
Tari

CookEasy wrote:

So 8k stars + from community are enough to be forgotten that fast? Or is there any progress going on that..? Would be really sad if that idea just gets dismissed by the fact of that huge community support..
Please just wait, stars just shows how much supports this has.
Karuta-_old_1
support for the love of unrankable maps

I will read this and make this a more meaningful post later
Myxo
I really hope this will be implemented sometime. If it will, it will take a long time, so please be patient guys..
Wojowu
Woah, I have been thinking about basically exactly the same idea for a while now, and here I look - it already is requested with over 8000 stars!! I don't have any to give, but I support this 100%.
Nikulae
I think it should be kind of like the current ranking but not as strict. Cause i enjoy playing unranked maps but i want to share my scores with others or see what the pros can accomplish.
talutocxu
I think, we should have a rating system for unranked beatmaps.
If a beatmap meet the requirement rating (for example: > 100 votes and rating > 9.0), it will have a scoreboard.
Litharrale

talutocxu wrote:

If a beatmap meet the requirement rating (for example: > 100 votes and rating > 9.0), it will have a scoreboard.
It'd be better to base this off map quality and not map popularity.
Any famous player could make a trash map and instantly get a scoreboard on it with your system.
Just leave it to the BNs to decide.
talutocxu

Litharrale wrote:

talutocxu wrote:

It'd be better to base this off map quality and not map popularity.
Any famous player could make a trash map and instantly get a scoreboard on it with your system.
Just leave it to the BNs to decide.
I will change my line to : "a beatmap meet the requirement rating will be considered to have a scoreboard".
Anyway, that's just my opinion.
Syphist
This would be good for mappers like caren_sk and Akali. Not to mention all those gimmick maps and whatnot. This would give people something else to do besides grinding pp all day and give people who like to make maps outside of the general ranked criteria a little more room to stretch. This would be a really nice "for fun" aspect of the game.
Comet
Please Don't Die, Thread. I really want this to go through :P
Nakano Itsuki
If supporter needs a price increase for servers to accommodate these leaderboards and replays, I would totally be paying for it.
CookEasy
Never give up
Trosk-
Cookeasy PogChamp
Grassgrow
bumpidy fu**ing bump
Vuelo Eluko
The tag4 fiasco shows this is possible. sooo now we just hope peppy wants to fork over the bandwidth and storage for it
Yuzeyun
Nobody aside from Lach mentioned Taiko gimmick maps which are starting to grow large. There aren't many maps for now, but I strongly believe it will grow super large as the category gets created. However if you think about a ruleset, think about every mode. Taiko can have a very hard gimmick map even with 0.7 stars.

The ones I have in mind at the moment and you should check these out to see what we are capable of:

Storyboard gimmick Taiko maps:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/154326 DJ Noriken ft. Yukacco - Lucent (JAKAZiD Remix) -- Probably the most popular in its category
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/219939 DJ Shimamura feat. Yukacco - Magik Night (JAKAZiD's magic verdrive! Mix)
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/197242 Camellia - Bangin' Burst
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/301247 Yooh - MariannE

Normal gimmick Taiko maps:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/219733 Yuitsuki yukari - Shiawase ni nareru kakushi komando ga aru rashii
The Gambler
Hmm... HanZer and Hollow Wings maps would definitely get a benefit here. Too broke for supporter though, so I get no vote.
Batujitsu
Such stars - much wow
abraker
will this really hit 10,000?
7ambda

abraker wrote:

will this really hit 10,000?
It just did.
abraker
This should go down into the newsletter as the first request to receive 10k kudosus stars!

Yauxo

abraker wrote:

10k kudosus!
Stars, I think. 10k kd would be massive o:

Also, peppy, where are you D:
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079
>10K stars
eeezzzeee

baraatje123 wrote:

If this'll get added (which I highly doubt) is that people only go for this type of rank, and put no effort in real ranking their map
Is nobody thinking about this... What mapper wants to make a full difficulty spread and follow rules of ranking criteria when they can just make 1 difficulty however they want and get it (new beatmap categorized) ?

I mean just look at how the approved category is killing off full size 3:00 ~ 4:59 length maps. Some people even wanted to loop the mp3 so it is longer and can be approved. If this is implemented it's pretty much guaranteed there will be less normal ranked content and I'm sure that's not what anyone wants.

Congrats for 10k stars though! But I don't support
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

eeezzzeee wrote:

baraatje123 wrote:

If this'll get added (which I highly doubt) is that people only go for this type of rank, and put no effort in real ranking their map
Is nobody thinking about this... What mapper wants to make a full difficulty spread and follow rules of ranking criteria when they can just make 1 difficulty however they want and get it (new beatmap categorized) ?

I mean just look at how the approved category is killing off full size 3:00 ~ 4:59 length maps. Some people even wanted to loop the mp3 so it is longer and can be approved. If this is implemented it's pretty much guaranteed there will be less normal ranked content and I'm sure that's not what anyone wants.

Congrats for 10k stars though! But I don't support
That shouldn't happen since this isn't meant to exist for normal maps, so maps that don't "break any rule" would still need a full difficulty spread. This kind of maps would still need to follow the song and they are mostly harder to make due to their complexity.
eeezzzeee

Default wrote:

That shouldn't happen since this isn't meant to exist for normal maps, so maps that don't "break any rule" would still need a full difficulty spread.
Eighto isn't breaking any rules (other than not having a difficulty spread I guess), it's just ugly as heck.

Besides, my point is that if this is implemented many mappers will stop making normal ranked stuff and make break rules stuff for this instead. Its just so much easier/more fun/more creativity/etc.
-Aeryn-

eeezzzeee wrote:

Default wrote:

That shouldn't happen since this isn't meant to exist for normal maps, so maps that don't "break any rule" would still need a full difficulty spread.
Eighto isn't breaking any rules (other than not having a difficulty spread I guess), it's just ugly as heck.

Besides, my point is that if this is implemented many mappers will stop making normal ranked stuff and make break rules stuff for this instead. Its just so much easier/more fun/more creativity/etc.
First line is your opinion. Looks like a pretty beautiful map to me.

#2 - if there's a mass exodus of people making official maps because it's so much easier, more fun, allows for more creativity etc in the new system.. Then isn't the new system better? Those are very important metrics.
Bara-
It already did
silmarilen

-Aeryn- wrote:

#2 - if there's a mass exodus of people making official maps because it's so much easier, more fun, allows for more creativity etc in the new system.. Then isn't the new system better? Those are very important metrics.
this so much.

too bad the staff thinks new players are more important than good players (look at the rule that you need at least a decent low diff spread in your mapset but insane/extra arent required), and this change would mostly cause more hard maps.
helix
Mad support for this, it would make a lot of people happy :)
abraker
Holy Osu! This got ~400 more stars within several hours. Are we going for 20k?
OzzyOzrock
It can be arranged
do it do it
show more