forum

[added] New beatmap category for good unrankable mapsets

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,918
show more
Fullerene-
Last time I checked this had 0 stars.

The fuck?

Support this anyway, though I'm not too sure what the criteria would be for other game modes to fit under this
saiyuri
time to see who is the true master of true truly love :o
Yarissa
THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN oh my god please

I want to buy like 4 years of supporter just to give this stars but I'm broke
Bara-
WTH happened with all these stars?
This'll surpass 10.000 in no-time
CookEasy
This better happens or the use of stars was useless 7k stars have no effect... D:
blahpy
So is the point of this to have leaderboards on completed unranked maps, or does it include all the awful/unfinished/duplicate ones?

If it doesn't then I guess I support this idea
Bara-
Blahpy, please read the whole thread

maybe my maps can now finally get ranked xD
LoGo
Supporting, don't see how this can harm anything, except if all maps get scoreboard and people start submitting empty maps, but that shouldn't happen if people who allow scoreboard have common sense.
Gumpy
wow 6700+ in 5 days
Winek
supportingg this
i was actually planning to do one of those thread some day...
you got me first
JappyBabes
tbh having scoreboards on ALL submitted maps would be nice, i know there are other games that handle it this way but old approval system is next best thing
Okoratu
As modding and ranking should be more community driven and we actively work towards moddingv2, i think it would be appropriate to have players who can pass the map vote if they think it should go into this category
Yauxo

Okoratu wrote:

As modding and ranking should be more community driven and we actively work towards moddingv2, i think it would be appropriate to have players who can pass the map vote if they think it should go into this category
TAG4 though
Shirai Kuroko
Best.Idea.I.Have.Ever.Seen upvoted 2 times!I hope peppy will add this to the game!
iiyo
did somebody say eighto ranking?
Lach
Isn't this what approval was for before it changed to >6 minutes? I can't be bothered reading the thread, but holy shit that's a lot of stars.

I suppose I should chip in. If this happens it can't be for just "LMAO MY AR10 MAP IS MY FIRST MAP EVER PLZ PLAY HATUNE MIKU MY ROOM FOR PONY", but genuine maps which are designed in a way to be weird and awesome, not just difficult. Some examples would be <insert sprosive maps here>.

Currently, "approval" maps just get a heart instead of a flame, and have for almost a year now. In that time, the category has stood dormant with a few random song compilations as the first thing people see. I honestly think it's time to change that and get some truly awe-inspiring weird shit their own scoreboard.

More stuff like Evanescent. More TAG. THIS. And a little Graces of Heaven for good measure.

edit: hakkyo, overjoy, and ln spaghetti nonsense too as long as it has actual interesting stuff. I'm sure there's a few people who have read this already who would love to just go ham with bpm multiplication.
Malte

JappyBabes wrote:

tbh having scoreboards on ALL submitted maps would be nice, i know there are other games that handle it this way but old approval system is next best thing
My opinion
Lust

Lach wrote:

Isn't this what approval was for before it changed to >6 minutes? I can't be bothered reading the thread, but holy shit that's a lot of stars.

I suppose I should chip in. If this happens it can't be for just "LMAO MY AR10 MAP IS MY FIRST MAP EVER PLZ PLAY HATUNE MIKU MY ROOM FOR PONY", but genuine maps which are designed in a way to be weird and awesome, not just difficult. Some examples would be <insert sprosive maps here>.

Currently, "approval" maps just get a heart instead of a flame, and have for almost a year now. In that time, the category has stood dormant with a few random song compilations as the first thing people see. I honestly think it's time to change that and get some truly awe-inspiring weird shit their own scoreboard.

More stuff like Evanescent. More TAG. And a little Graces of Heaven for good measure.
If Lach agrees with this, then so do I.
Kuon
Do it for her peppy-sama!
DoKito
Whatever you guys make with this idea... Please DON'T make it that you have to search for 1000 mods before getting a "gimmick map" "ranked" :c
CookEasy

DoKito wrote:

Whatever you guys make with this idea... Please DON'T make it that you have to search for 1000 mods before getting a "gimmick map" "ranked" :c
^dis
Sea_Food

DoKito wrote:

I dont know why the OP changed the title to "gimmick maps".

Originally it was just a suggestion to add distinction and a leaderboard for unranked maps that are not shit. But i guess all good gotta change
NickXitco
I want to see who's the top spinner for the tutorial :)
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

Sea_Food wrote:

Originally it was just a suggestion to add distinction and a leaderboard for unranked maps that are not shit. But i guess all good gotta change
I changed it just for you (the old title said unrankeable instead of gimmick) , it's long as heck now tho :o
But in the end, peppy will be the one to decide which maps will fit into the category if he ever implements it.
Sea_Food

Default wrote:

Sea_Food wrote:

I changed it just for you (the old title said unrankeable instead of gimmick) , it's long as heck now tho :o
But in the end, peppy will be the one to decide which maps will fit into the category if he ever implements it.
Thanks man. I really appreciate it. But tbh peppy can say what ever he wants, but it will be BNs or who ever gets the responsibility choice on how they intepritate the rule.
I am Cow
Why not just have it so a map has to have a set amount of favourites (70ish?) before they can apply for leaderboards. That way it could potentially solve the issue of having 200 or so crap maps wanting leaderboards a day and allow the community to choose maps they love (eighto/jump training) getting leaderboards.

Just a thought~~
Lach

mooooo1245 wrote:

Why not just have it so a map has to have a set amount of favourites (70ish?) before they can apply for leaderboards. That way it could potentially solve the issue of having 200 or so crap maps wanting leaderboards a day and allow the community to choose maps they love (eighto/jump training) getting leaderboards.

Just a thought~~
Nah. That's not a good idea because there's maps with 70 favourites that are awful to the point where they're unplayable. The idea is that people use common sense to sift through those 300 bad maps and approve the actual interesting stuff.
Midge
I have some questions though. If it's gonna be this easy to get a leaderboard for your map, what would even be the point of going for real rank in your map? Is that not the point other than for it to be counted for pp? Or is this only applying to full-on, unrankable maps, and not tv-sizes or even fanzhen-esque maps, which are completely rankable?

Furthermore, I've skimmed through the thread, but I haven't read anything about a process. I'd like to see at least some idea for a structure.

Also, are IIDX maps allowed in this category? Those are unrankable, too.

That said, I really hope you refute what I've brought up, as this is a really good idea. I just want to make sure it's watertight.
Lach

Midge wrote:

I have some questions though. If it's gonna be this easy to get a leaderboard for your map, what would even be the point of going for real rank in your map? Is that not the point other than for it to be counted for pp? Or is this only applying to full-on, unrankable maps, and not tv-sizes or even fanzhen-esque maps, which are completely rankable?

Furthermore, I've skimmed through the thread, but I haven't read anything about a process. I'd like to see at least some idea for a structure.

That said, I really hope you refute what I've brought up, as this is a really good idea. I just want to make sure it's watertight.
If anything, it shouldn't be easy for that exact reason. Maps should be playtested and modded by experienced players, go through the same modding process, and require 2 bubbles and a ranking BA. If just any random map can be pushed into whatever category this goes into (approval please), it defeats the whole purpose.
xxdeathx
just wondering how do people shoot 70 stars at a feature request? i thought you only get 2 per month

and how'd this get to 7.5k SP in 3 days?
Midge
But the whole idea is for it to be easy, isn't it. I mean, graces of heaven shouldn't have to go through intensive modding, only for it to be a ranked map without the privilege of being a real ranked map. The op says some light modding to remove unplayable (wrong timing, unsnapped notes, etc), and that's it.
Bara-
Per month you buy, you get 2 stars
If you buy 3 months, you get 2x3=6stars
2 year is 24 months, so 24x2=48stars

Also, the more I read it, the more I like it, I'm only scared for people putting less effort into their map causing less maps to get ranked (or this could allow for more maps to get ranked, as most maps will probably go to gimmick, causing BN to have more time)
Reviz
That's an interesting discussion you're having here. Which brings me to my kind of controversial opinion: the whole ranking process is a joke. In 3 years of playing this game, I've never ever seen a map becoming noticeably better after years of mapper searching for BAT's, asking for mods and trying to squeeze his mapset into the ranked criteria.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/162405 this easily comes to mind. The map was ready to go in 2012, yet it was ranked only in 2014. Was it worth the time and the efforts to rank it? I think not. I enjoyed it back then, I enjoy it now just the same.

If a map is enjoyable to play, people won't care about anything else, people won't care about unrankable patterns, lack of harder/easier difficulties etc. etc. Hell, you can just rank all of Zapy's maps right now and I can guarantee you, not a single person will be upset.

So why do we need all these artificial barriers again?

Also, while we're at it, and if this request is gonna go through, people were always making 2 diffs of the same beatmap: AR9 and AR10. Just make AR adjustable already, like in osu!mania. Again, I guarantee you, the ratio of people happy/upset about this will be 99/1

Just some controversial thoughts, don't get your panties in a wad over it please
Bara-
I might have an idea
For the Gimmick category., it needs to have 12 SP (like normal) from mods and stars (not your own), and then your map will apply for it, only if 1/2BN (or GAT/GN (smth like that) will agree
Does this sound better (then favorites or such)?
Granger

Reviz wrote:

Because without those you'd have some serious issues regarding new people joining the game. How do you expect those people to play/get better if theres only insane+ maps? People are already putting extemely little effort into their easy maps, imagine what would happen if those werent mandatory...
Sea_Food

Granger wrote:

Reviz wrote:

Because without those you'd have some serious issues regarding new people joining the game. How do you expect those people to play/get better if theres only insane+ maps? People are already putting extemely little effort into their easy maps, imagine what would happen if those werent mandatory...
There is a very very large aumont of easy maps and there were before it was mandatory. Its reatrded that every map needs an easy diff because people play them during the first 30min-3hours after they DL the game. Wouldntn it be enough that they get to choose from the thoudands of beatmaps? Why do they need to have the privledge of choosing from every single one?

Also we are off topic now.
jesse1412

Sea_Food wrote:

Granger wrote:

There is a very very large aumont of easy maps and there were before it was mandatory. Its reatrded that every map needs an easy diff because people play them during the first 30min-3hours after they DL the game. Wouldntn it be enough that they get to choose from the thoudands of beatmaps? Why do they need to have the privledge of choosing from every single one?

Also we are off topic now.
Eyyyy you made a good post.
Akali
I had idea like that, I will post my suggestions/criteria how it could work later. Maybe

First of all - maps with scoreboards that don't give any pp should overtake the "approved" name, currently approved maps existing make no sense, it's just a ranked map with long enough difficulty (inb4 total score bullshit no one cares about)

Biggest problem is that it needs some sort of approval team anyway. BNs have a lot of work, so either they would approve maps like that in extra time or it would require making completely new team, up to osu! staff if they want to create something like it.

Approval criteria:

-Proper timing (crucial)
-At least basic hitsounding
-One diff only, preferably with some sort of minimal star rating (4-4,5 should work for osu!)
-At least 1:50 of draining time
-Map shows "intelligent design" - it shouldn't be just few minutes of retarded square jumps, it should represent the music somehow, just without being bothered about stuff like kiai time, proper slider velocity etc
-No extreme overmapping
- +6sp minimum? Just to guarantee some sort of insight from modders or that mapper actively takes a part in a modding process on other maps/sets

Biggest problem here is that this sort of approval could easily get out of control and create a circlejerk on larger scale, where friends approve eachother's gridsnapped copypaste. I still love this idea, it would let some mappers get more recognition and players show off their skills on something more crazy then we are used to.

Also I think it would be a good idea to seperate these maps from officially ranked maps, so stupid people don't start blaming osu! staff for promoting "cancer". I would be ok with a situation where they don't even appear in "Beatmaps" section, just let them have seperate forum. This way better maps like this would be played more and spread across the community through multiplayer, pms and spectating players, resulting in some sort of natural selection in terms of popularity
Sea_Food

Midge wrote:

Yes the point of getting your map ranked is so that it yields pp. Doing good on a ranked map = your rank gets better. The primary reason there even is a ranking criteria is not to promote polished maps, but to ensure that people would not get ranking from "troll maps." It was much more important in the old pp system but its still valid now.

Also there have been alot of ideas about the process. Most of them bad but i will give you mine.
1. Someone makes a map
2. A BN or a QAT plays it and notices that the map is playable, as in its compleatly mapped and has no empty difficulties, is timed atleast almost perfectly.
3. The map gets promoted (to checked??) and gets a learderboard and somekind of distinction for the download page.
Note that this can happen without a single mod made to the map.

and that optionally continues into

4. the map goes trough the ranking process
5. the map gets ranked

jesus1412 wrote:

Eyyyy you made a good post.
thanks man
jesse1412

Akali wrote:

Approval criteria:

-Proper timing (crucial) Ok.
-At least basic hitsounding Ok.
-One diff only, preferably with some sort of minimal star rating (4-4,5 should work for osu!) What's the point in this?
-At least 1:50 of draining time 30 seconds should be long enough (or just fully mapped mp3).
-Map shows "intelligent design" - it shouldn't be just few minutes of retarded square jumps, it should represent the music somehow, just without being bothered about stuff like kiai time, proper slider velocity etc Ok.
-No extreme overmapping Too subjective, if it plays well, let it have a scoreboard.
- +6sp minimum? Just to guarantee some sort of insight from modders or that mapper actively takes a part in a modding process on other maps/sets Ok.

Biggest problem here is that this sort of approval could easily get out of control and create a circlejerk on larger scale, where friends approve eachother's gridsnapped copypaste. I still love this idea, it would let some mappers get more recognition and players show off their skills on something more crazy then we are used to. Punish these people if their maps are shitty, revoke their ability to scoreboard a map.

Also I think it would be a good idea to seperate these maps from officially ranked maps, so stupid people don't start blaming osu! staff for promoting "cancer". I would be ok with a situation where they don't even appear in "Beatmaps" section, just let them have seperate forum. This way better maps like this would be played more and spread across the community through multiplayer, pms and spectating players, resulting in some sort of natural selection in terms of popularity No point in this really, they'll be like other maps, just make it obvious that the map doesn't contribute to pp (not sure why they wouldn't if they have to go through approval to get a scoreboard though, it's pretty clear if they pass that they aren't pp breaking maps).
show more