forum

[added] New beatmap category for good unrankable mapsets

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +12,918
show more
Hattouri
The players themselves can judge whether or not they want this map to have a leaderboard, no need to involve any 'approval teams' into this.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

Stefan wrote:

Default wrote:

[...]and the beatmaps would give no pp, but the scoreboards would still be there, just for fun. What do you think about it?
I get your point, that of course would be required to have them existant at all. The actual problem is to declare them as gimmick maps. What are the criterias for them? Is it worth calling them as gimmick? Do they just exaggerate with that what are they're supposed to be? It's a very very tough thing to have something solid for such maps.
I've been thinking about letting the mapper decide the category of their maps, while allowing the modders to change it if they think it's wrong. I don't think it's possible to make proper criterias for them.

Edit: I've added some examples to the OP
DoKito
Is this only for gimmick maps now? Like... Storyboard stuff? If yes then i will be sad.
MillhioreF
All of my yes, please. It would be great to have competition and leaderboards on high-quality maps even if those maps can never be officially ranked - obviously it would only be a leaderboard though, no score increases or pp or anything.
CookEasy
It was always my dream to get this, if there is the chance of competetive playing on zapy maps, (screw pp lol) i'd totally take that chance
slushy
100% yes
8-)
Kynan
Suppooooort !
Toadsworth
If this happened would there be anyway to include scores players have already achieved?
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

DoKito wrote:

Is this only for gimmick maps now? Like... Storyboard stuff? If yes then i will be sad.
What do you mean with storyboard stuff? It's is and has always been for good maps which have unrakeable elements, but they need to be playable. "Art" maps wouldn't fit in it.

DatPenguinTho wrote:

If this happened would there be anyway to include scores players have already achieved?
I don't think that's posible, sadly. It wouldn't be fair for the people who have lost their local replays anyway.

btw DATS A LOT OF STARS
Venitros
This needs to happen
DoKito

Default wrote:

DoKito wrote:

What do you mean with storyboard stuff? It's is and has always been for good maps which have unrakeable elements, but they need to be playable. "Art" maps wouldn't fit in it.
For me "gimmick" maps are maps like "Fake It", where the storyboard is part of the map. I just wouldn't call every map, which isn't rankable a "gimmick map". That's why i was asking cause that would mean my maps wouldn't get a scoreboard if that's the case.
Yauxo
Take all my stars pls.
I feel like this idea is way overdue. There are so many ways to map amazing gimmicky maps, but little to none know them nor have the motivation to play them (unranked, no scoreboard to compare to friends, blah).

As for "what maps belong there" - we dont have BNs for no reason. Get some "rules" up or create another team that'd focus on exactly these maps.

/2cents
Stefan

DoKito wrote:

There are different kinds of gimmick maps.

1. Working with the SB (like you mentioned Fake It)
  2. where the Gameplay is completely new (Jubeatsu or Osuka)
  3. where the Skin and/or Hitsound elements are changed (Proud of You by deepsea but I am not sure if it still works properly)
  4. unrankable pattern/SV mechanics (Evanescent)
They're probably more but... these are quite common.

Also I don't see the problem in getting them approved by the Beatmap Nominators? I mean okay, the only issue why these maps probably can't be really approved is because the build how they're made gets broken due new updates (changing skin/hitsound behaviour, etc). Else, why would you update a beatmap which doesn't need an update?
TicClick
you guys will need GAT, or Gimmick Assurance Team
Lanturn
Gimmick maps you say? ................... =]

te-te-te-te-tewi~

This is a cool idea I guess. I still have lots of ideas up my sleeve.

Let'see how this does. Have a star for now.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

TicClick wrote:

you guys will need GAT, or Gimmick Assurance Team
Seems legit :D
gregest
yes plz I need this
-GN
yeah, i feel like this would be very good for the playing community and map creators if it was implemented right.
Vuelo Eluko
peppy probably doesnt want to fork over the bandwidth for scoreboards that dont even matter in the system

would b cool tho
Xilver15
The problem is, what exactly defines a good unranked beatmap? I feel like for this to happen there will need to be a team that chooses which maps get a scoreboard and which ones don't.

EDIT: nvm this has been discussed already, good luck finding a team!

Good idea though, starred.
blourgh
Would they even have to code a completely new system? I feel like they could just rank those maps but make them give 0 pp like tag4 maps.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

blourgh wrote:

Would they even have to code a completely new system? I feel like they could just rank those maps but make them give 0 pp like tag4 maps.
Idk, that would be quite confusing, especially if somebody fc'ed a map without knowing it gives no pp
Timorisu
Qualified category didn't need a completely new system either, so if this would be executed in form of a category like Ranked/Approved/Qualified it probably wouldn't be much work :P

+Support
nigelf
have all my votes
IceFreaki
I'm all for it.
Would be really nice to see some battles for #1 on super difficult maps.
Blue Stig
Four days and 2472 stars!
I don't think I've ever seen so many stars so fast!

*Throws more on the pile*
- Marco -
inb4 invalid
Hexas
Yes Please!
Kynan
3000 votes in 4 days gg
Yauxo

marcostudios wrote:

inb4 invalid
The pain would be real.

This is probably the fastest star-growth Ive seen. Peppy, input pls
Chirimu-Chan
That would be... darn that writing stuff

Take my Mone....eeh Stars!
sullyjhf
oh baby a triple

anyway this is a super super good idea have all my stars
Celleste

Default wrote:

blourgh wrote:

Idk, that would be quite confusing, especially if somebody fc'ed a map without knowing it gives no pp
Then all we'll need is a popup message on the corner saying something like "this map is an unranked map. You will not get any pp by playing it."
sirusi
I support this.
But you can't simply put a leaderboard on every single submitted map (or you can?).
There must be some selection system.

Anyway 4 days already 3400 stars wow.
People are throwing every star they have, what if this is moved to invalid?
Comet
Threw 2 stars on, this needs to be a bloody thing.

Also it likely got at least half the stars because good ol' Captain Jacky (CookEasy) decided to post about it on reddit
Timorisu

VMzOlliver wrote:

I support this.
But you can't simply put a leaderboard on every single submitted map (or you can?).
R E A D T H E T H R E A D
Granger

Lanturn wrote:

te-te-te-te-tewi~
I wonder how the scoreboard on the DtB would work, since the goal is to get no points... the scoreboard would show the worst plays.

Also: Wtf stars. O_O Last time i checked this it was at like 10 stars...
- Marco -

Granger wrote:

Lanturn wrote:

te-te-te-te-tewi~
I wonder how the scoreboard on the DtB would work, since the goal is to get no points... the scoreboard would show the worst plays.

Also: Wtf stars. O_O Last time i checked this it was at like 10 stars...
Magic :D
peppy
Basically what you're saying is bring back the old "approved" system, for those who have been around long enough to remember it.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_4329079

peppy wrote:

Basically what you're saying is bring back the old "approved" system, for those who have been around long enough to remember it.
Yup, I didn't know it used to be like that until yesterday. I came quite late to osu :)
show more