forum

The Touhou Project

posted
Total Posts
show more
rayxdgreatx

Zekira wrote:

how do I keep Ran fixed in the same place like in some replays?
Uh...? That only happens on certain cards you know. Most of the time she really moves. I for one hand can say I can track her position down though; since almost all of her attacks just require streaming, you can pretty much follow her easily by just looking at the bottom of the screen lol.
Certain cards... I was talking about Izuna Gongen. In some replays people stay on a part of the bottom right of the screen, and Ran shot bullets like crazy but none of them ever hit, lol.
Zekira
...oh, I think it's that gay safe spot thingy or something. I don't know where it is, but I've heard it's to the right though (? All I know is Yukari's is in the left)
Arusha Shuna
so yeah, i started to play touhou danmaku few weeks ago (rarely though, too much osu! and irl =_=)
started with TH07 easy (bad start >_> what do you expect from a beginner anyways) no continues used though...
cleared on 2nd try ReimuB :X, not bad for a beginner

normal was too much for me, youmu raped my lives after saving some :o

bored to death i went on TH12 (bad jump...), now even easy raped me to death... FAST :(
now what are those UFO's are for? does the colors difference affect anything?
(also you touhou people said 1 CC, what does that mean?)
UtsukimiJerry
1CC means that you clear the game on any difficulty without any continues

hmm I haven't played any danmaku at all this month.. maybe I should start again
Zekira
UFO System summarized:

-Combinations come in 4 forms: Multi-colored, Red, Blue, Green
-When an incompatible UFO is obtained as the 3rd UFO, the first one is discarded (e.g. if you have 2 Red UFOs and suddenly get a green or blue one, or if you have red and blue UFO and then get another Blue or Red one)
-When you form a compatible combination of 3 UFOs, a UFO will appear. This UFO has an item magnet and set life, and you have 10 (12?) seconds to destroy it.
-If the UFO obtains a certain number of items (I don't remember how many), it spits out a bonus depending on what kind of UFO it is (explained later)
-you have to kill it within the time limit or else it will just fly away with all the items, lol.
-If you manage to kill it, all items it sucked in will magnetize to you, point items get maximum value, and bullets near it will be cleared. If the bonus is activated, a larger area of bullet clearing happens.
-Different UFOs give different items on kill, but all of them spit out a UFO of their color (but switching) on kill:
---Red UFOs drop a Player fragment. Getting it a bonus spits out another player fragment.
---Green UFOs drop a Spell Fragment. Getting it a bonus spits out a Spell Item.
---Blue UFOs give you insane points. Getting it a bonus increases its multiplier on kill.
---Rainbow UFOs don't spit out anything extra unless you get the bonus, though it does have a score multiplier but not as high as blue UFOs. Getting it a bonus results in it spitting another switching-colored UFO.
-UFOs have a hitbox, don't forget that.
Arusha Shuna
so rainbow ufo's pretty much the useless one?
Azure_Kite

Arusha Shuna wrote:

so rainbow ufo's pretty much the useless one?
Yes.

Scorewise, aiming only for blue UFO's is the best course of action. but normal people need bombs. and lives. Although mainly bombs. You get more value out of getting a green UFO (With 1 & 1/3 bombs) than you do getting a red UFO (1/2 a life)
Zekira
Scorewise, aiming only for blue UFO's is the best course of action.
NO; a balance between Blue and Rainbow is actually recommended even by Touhou Wiki, particularly a lot of rainbows in the late stages, due to the extra UFO that is obtained from them and their item conversion.

As the critical UFO summoning spots (over 100 point/power items during a single UFO's lifetime) don't start until post-midboss stage 3, it is generally advised to maximize the point value until that point using all means available (on Easy mode, it is possible to increase the value up to as much as 37,000 upon reaching the stage 3 boss). Collecting a single UFO token while a UFO is already summoned is equivalent to 1000 graze points, and can be done within the first minute of stage 1. Because of this, Blinking UFOs are significantly better for scoring in early stages than Blue UFOs, as on satiation a Blinking UFO will release a UFO token that can be immediately collected to increase the point value by another 1000.

A quick rule of thumb here is try to minimalize UFO summon on stage 1 to 4, and to summon Blue or Rainbow UFO as much as you can on stage 5 and 6.
Also, when Rainbow UFOs receive Power Items, they get converted to Point Items instead, so you can take advantage of the Rainbow's multipler for that too, unlike Blue ones which still retain Power as Power. Take note though that Point Items get converted to Power, but there's an immense amount of Power Items in this game, especially in the late stages.

Speaking about survival: Also, one thing that's actually pleasing to do in TH12 is overbombing, as it's made even more possible by Green UFOs. The wiki has some input on this too, and is still up to preference:

For survival

Green and red UFOs, while generally useless in high score runs, are able to provide a less experienced player with a sufficient life and bomb supply, as well as clear the screen of bullets in a bomb-like fashion. Be wary that they should still be satiated with items before destruction in order to take full advantage of their summoning.

Also note that it is slightly more beneficial to summon green UFOs compared to red:

* 1 green UFO = 1.33 bombs. 1 red UFO = 0.5 lives.

* Each green UFO gives at least one immediately useful full bomb item.

* 6 green UFOs = 8 bombs. 6 red UFOs = 3 lives (6 full bombs).

* If a player uses all of their bombs before dying, going for green UFOs potentially gives them 33% more full bombs.
* Note, however, that dying will also clear the screen of bullets. Thus, a player who has summoned 6 red UFOs can fail to dodge 9 times compared with the green player's 8. This is usually a less attractive option because of power loss and reduced versatility.

Barring some exceptions, a character's bomb is generally powerful enough to quickly deplete the HP of most spellcards. By methodically summoning green UFOs, a player should be able to bomb through (nearly) every problematic attack, allowing an easier victory. Green UFOs also allow a marginally better score increase, although it's pointless to use them for that purpose. However, if a player is inexperienced with both deciding a good bombing opportunity and using bombs reactively (deathbombing), going for red UFOs instead may have its merit.
LittleMagic_old
many highscore players use mostly rainbow ufos. So it won't be useless after all.
On Stage 5,6 its pretty useless, if you use rainbow ufos. Loosing very much scores :P
Zekira
But Stage 5 has a shitload of Power Items, it's actually kinda amusing to use Rainbow UFOs there.
Gabi
think someone posted this a few pages back, but i just can't stop lolling at SYAMEIMARU

Arusha Shuna
haha yeah stage 5, i can't even pass stage 3
i always died/bombed on stage 2 boss (i forgot the name) last spell, does that spell even has a safe spot?
rayxdgreatx

Arusha Shuna wrote:

haha yeah stage 5, i can't even pass stage 3
i always died/bombed on stage 2 boss (i forgot the name) last spell, does that spell even has a safe spot?
hai aru :3

Kogasa? yeah, that spell is really hard... i managed to evade one wave by moving straight into the gap between two bullets

...but I never captured that card. too hard. you have to keep moving.

btw, are Last Words supposed to be easier than Extra Stages?
LittleMagic_old
Kogasa ... KOGASA!!!
Only because of her in Hard/Lunatic, i changed perm my mind.: TH12 is the hardest game ever -.-
Her last spell is easy ... well at least on hard. Lunatic = omg

But Kogasa is Cirno-likish after all for lunatic players D:
Arusha Shuna

LittleMagic wrote:

Her last spell is easy ... well at least on hard. Lunatic = omg
you and your mad skills :o
Zekira
Is it that umbrella train thing?

If it is, then basically the way to do it is short horizontal streaming while moving a bit forward and back. Err wait, I can't explain it better. I just do this: go to the direction on the train that's incoming but put yourself sufficiently in the middle so that you minimize the need to move horizontally; only a few bullets actually pass the middle-horizontal path since the trains crowd the sides too much.
Arusha Shuna
Zekira so pro...
yes it worked well! thanks! :)

also i'm looking for a character in TH12 that is "beginner friendly"

i'm using ReimuA but it didn't work quite well like i play ReimuB in TH07
so any suggestions? since i don't understand jap very well, crappy internet took forever to DL the patch :o

...or maybe i'm just lazy
Zekira
Sanae-B got me to Stage 6 on the first time I tried it out, maybe try that or something, I dunno; TH12's pretty hard on its own. If you consider there's actually no beginner's shot type on this one; for each character there exists one shot type that will help against Shou and another one that helps against Murasa. Or you can also simply segregate them as area-shot and the other as focused-shot. Sanae-B just happens to be able to fulfill both of those roles, for some odd reason, not to mention she has the longest invisible time from bomb too.

I use Marisa-A because... well, it's Marisa and is actually the only speed that I can actually make sense out of. I just couldn't 1CC Normal using Marisa-B because Murasa's being a bitch, but then again with Marisa-A I have major problems with Shou for some odd reason.

Also to remind that, unlike the early Touhou, the bombs are actually similar in role to its shot type. E.G. TH07 Marisa-A has focused shot type with a spread-type bomb, and Marisa-B has area shot type and powered bomb, while in TH12 Marisa-A gets both the focused shot type and powered bomb.
Arusha Shuna
oh GOD you're damn helpful :)
thx for the tip Zekira :D, i'll work something out
Zekira
KayMemoria
Barrel Roll nullifies pain....lol
Arusha Shuna
barrel roll. it deflect bullets...
rayxdgreatx
Guys, are Last Words hard?

Some of them seem pretty easy to me...

EDIT:

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.
I JUST BEAT RAN!

...with zero lives remaining. :P

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=9064
Zekira
Some of them seem pretty easy to me...
Except Fantasy Motherfucking Heaven, Unseasonable Butterfly, and Saigyouji Flawless Nirvana, they're pretty much easy with around 20 minutes of practice.

Now go and get a few more spellcards and unlock Phantasm :D (you'll need at least 60 in the Results->Spell Cards record page) Trust me, since you've cleared Extra, Phantasm wouldn't take too long to clear.
rayxdgreatx

Zekira wrote:

Unseasonable Butterfly
...wait what? that was one of the hard ones? no wonder I only captured it on the 300th try :o

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=9061

ugh, and the win was lucky, as well.

Zekira wrote:

Now go and get a few more spellcards and unlock Phantasm :D (you'll need at least 60 in the Results->Spell Cards record page) Trust me, since you've cleared Extra, Phantasm wouldn't take too long to clear.
Awkey XD
Jinxy
aya

rayxdgreatx

JInxyjem wrote:

aya
⑨ videos

Ayayayaya...

*danmaku'd*
Zekira
Roflol, hahaha
Zekira
Oh god, hahahahaha!

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10124909

(can't find it on YT)

I never expected a MAD of this song, seriously. Is Nitori's song really that memorable... because I totally lol'd at this.

DON DON DON DON DON DON DOOOOOON DON DOOOON
LittleMagic_old
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

OMFG FULL COMBO!! XD
*LOLOLOLOL*
Shiftyness13
New update for Kaguya Table that makes it so Enlightenment doesn't take forever. I think I'm going to get back into this :3
Arusha Shuna
...i... don't get that vid...

blame me for never played any taiko no tatsujin

EDIT : ok never mind above. How the fuck am i going to kill this thing?
Jinxy
This took me MUCH TOO LONG than it should have.

In other words, I just made my own Bomb Spellcard. Its a drill.
Zekira
And finally you decided to make your own spellcards lol.

Me? Actually, I kinda revolve too much around spellcards in such a way that I'm useless without them :/
Faust

JInxyjem wrote:

This took me MUCH TOO LONG than it should have.

[attachment=0:d92f9]Burner Ver Spell Card.png[/attachment:d92f9]
In other words, I just made my own Bomb Spellcard. Its a giant stick of Pocky.
- Fixed.
rayxdgreatx
Ugh... It's so hard to get those 60 spellcards

"All characters combined" mean that every character contributes to the 60 spellcards of do I need to complete 60 spellcards total with any character?

anyway, tried Moko-tan's stage. The first spells are easy. Then I got to Honest Man's Death which requires precise timing, Phoenix Tail which is really thick, and Fujiyama Volcano which is unavoidable for me without using any bombs. Died on the latter.

Btw, I also replayed StB and got 35 scenes cleared some time after that.
Zekira
60 unique spellcards for all characters combined. Basically what you would want to do is clear Normal/Easy again but with a better run this time, then clear Easy/Normal. After that spend some more time trying to capture more cards in Extra. If that still doesn't cut it then you have no choice but to capture some cards on Hard. Remember that you have to save the score record in order to register that the spellcard was captured.

But I only cleared Normal, Hard, and Extra to obtain Phantasm. I'm not sure how many cards there are in the diffs. anyway, but at least all the cards in each difficulty are unique.
Arusha Shuna
i f2'ed the song select screen and...
what the hell happened!?

look at the song title at the top-left corner

and it happens... AGAIN!

i swear i didn't change any BG in those 2 song's folders
alice really wanna sing eh?

EDIT : whoops looks like the 1st and 2nd pic got swapped, oh well who cares :P
Zekira
She won't stop until she remembers the lyrics, rofl
-SiN-
show more