forum

Star Patterns

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DropPopCandy
So today I realised that the bane of my existence are the super simple patterns of five-point stars. Honestly, I realise that all I need to do is play more to get used to these damned patterns, but I need a larger library of maps that feature them (preferably ones that don't send me to the fail screen after missing four of the five notes) to practice on. If anyone knows of ANY good maps that feature star patterns please send them my way! :D

Also, if anyone has advice for how to deal with these patterns feel free to share :o
Yuudachi-kun
Don't stare blankly in the middle of the screen.
Topic Starter
DropPopCandy

Kheldragar wrote:

Don't stare blankly in the middle of the screen.
//gasp

Genius! xD
E m i
Topic Starter
DropPopCandy
Loving the sarcastic replies xD
Yuudachi-kun

dististik wrote:

Loving the sarcastic replies xD
Mine wasn't sarcastic. I just have a bad habit.
piruchan
I usually look at the middle of the pattern, somehow it helps.

Edit: based on the picture [ Momiji ] posted, it's the middle of the pentagon.
winber1
Karuta-_old_1
Topic Starter
DropPopCandy

piruchan wrote:

I usually look at the middle of the pattern, somehow it helps.

Edit: based on the picture [ Momiji ] posted, it's the middle of the pentagon.
Thanks, I'll try that out!

winber1 wrote:

thank
Thank you~!

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/50771

enjoy
I shall! Thank you x3
ZenithPhantasm
Think of it as one traingle+one line. Ezpz.
CPTW

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Think of it as 2 triangles like the diagram

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

p.s all patterns are triangles but rotated maybe even + x amount of extra circles
DahplA
Stars are easy for me. Maybe it's because I use mouse >.> If you are using tablet, just practice doodling stars when you are bored at school or something. Also this has a few at the start.
DT-sama
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
//gasp

Genius! xD
XDD
buny

DahplA wrote:

Stars are easy for me. Maybe it's because I use mouse >.> If you are using tablet, just practice doodling stars when you are bored at school or something. Also this has a few at the start.
stars are probably the easiest patterns to play
shortpotato
maki is too shy to become a star
change your profile picture to honoka

srsly you can focus on improving your aim as a whole and then when you come back to stars, it will become much easier ! :D
if you havent turned of mouse accel yet as a general tip you should
Novalogic
I don't know if it'll work for you, but when i had a problem with similar patterns or any other high bpm repetitive medium jumps, it helped to focus on appearing notes as fast as possible. In other words - try improving your reading skills, notice appearing notes as fast as you can.
Infevo
I made the experience that a lot depends on reading. Playing more complex maps helped me with jump combinations. And I never see these as patterns like stars or squares. I started splitting everything up in single jumps.

Of course you might be limited by other factors since there are so many in Osu!. Speed, aim, accuracy. But I am pretty sure that reading skills are the most important basics. And reading is not simply being able to spot a circle when it appears. It involves understanding when to exactly click it and what kind of movement you have to execute to hit it with consistence. You have to process the information of your cursor's local origin when hitting a previous circle and the distance and speed required to get to the next circle's location with the right timing.

Keep in mind learning patterns will only bring you this far. Eventually, another map's stars are completely different from those you played in the past. It is not like you can learn one pattern and transform it into muscle memory so you will be able to beat it every time no matter how different it is.
Topic Starter
DropPopCandy
Thanks so much for all of the advice and replies so far!! :)

shortpotato wrote:

maki is too shy to become a star
change your profile picture to honoka
I laughed harder at this than I should have xD I actually changed my profile picture to Reimu before reading this

DT-sama wrote:

This is mostly stars.
Thank you!!!

shortpotato wrote:

srsly you can focus on improving your aim as a whole and then when you come back to stars, it will become much easier ! :D
if you havent turned of mouse accel yet as a general tip you should
I play tablet, but I'll try to improve on my aiming~!

DahplA wrote:

I'll try out doodling when I have nothing to do :D Also, thanks for the map!

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Hmm~ I'll see if that helps

Infevo wrote:

I made the experience that a lot depends on reading. Playing more complex maps helped me with jump combinations. And I never see these as patterns like stars or squares. I started splitting everything up in single jumps.

Of course you might be limited by other factors since there are so many in Osu!. Speed, aim, accuracy. But I am pretty sure that reading skills are the most important basics. And reading is not simply being able to spot a circle when it appears. It involves understanding when to exactly click it and what kind of movement you have to execute to hit it with consistence. You have to process the information of your cursor's local origin when hitting a previous circle and the distance and speed required to get to the next circle's location with the right timing.

Keep in mind learning patterns will only bring you this far. Eventually, another map's stars are completely different from those you played in the past. It is not like you can learn one pattern and transform it into muscle memory so you will be able to beat it every time no matter how different it is.
Alright :o I work on improving my reading every day so hopefully I'll get better at the patterns sooner rather than later :D
Insyni
Anyone know how to post deleted maps? I have a perfect one, but it was deleted...
ZenithPhantasm

Insyni wrote:

Anyone know how to post deleted maps? I have a perfect one, but it was deleted...
Export in editor then puush it.
zwoots

Insyni wrote:

http://bloodcat.com/osu/

Doesn't have everything but it's a good place to start looking.
Insyni

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Insyni wrote:

Export in editor then puush it.
Like this? Not sure if I did it right. It wasn't ranked so I doubt it would be on bloodcat.

http://puu.sh/fnFJl/ea481972f4.osz
naliem
I read each part of the star like a separate jump to make it easier to read. And never look at the center of the screen.