forum

[Question] Picking up abandoned beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_2304476
I have a question regarding beatmaps that a player has "abandoned".

If a mapper has decided that he wanted to quit working on a beatmap and leaves it in the graveyard with intention of never returning to it, or, if the beatmapper has for example, quit Osu!, would another user be able to pick-up that beatmap, continue working on it and get it ranked?

I wondered if it would be allowed to treat the difficulties the other mapper has made as guest-difficulties and then create your own difficulties to go along with the mapset?
Yixa
This is a good idea, i like this idea
blissfulyoshi
Please try to contact the original mapper before doing this, but if no one responds, then feel free to try this.
Topic Starter
DeletedUser_2304476
Your Good Self
I don't think this will be allowed. If you include someone else's map as a GD, they would have to consent, then make any changes as necessary to the map during the modding process. If you can just take someone's map like that as a GD, then during the modding phase you can potentially just butcher the whole map into something else, with another mapper's name. The potential end product could be something like Hollow Wings' Extra (just for example), while the map inside is completely different from the usual HW mapping style.

If you need diffs for your mapset, map them yourself or get GDs from current users. Maps in the graveyard are usually old and don't have as high a quality as maps made now.

And I think it would be relevant to bring up this post: p/2815349/
SPOILER

CDFA wrote:

I wrote a thing about htis on my way to work, but it didn't send.

The biggest issue with this is that

1) Some mappers don't want to have their maps ranked, or would want to re-work their map before getting it ranked

Example: https://osu.ppy.sh/s/20794 . Let's say someone really wants to get this ranked. And let's say that I'm away from osu! for a while because of school or something.

I don't want to get this ranked. I might want to later, but I still want to re-map parts of it and make it better with my added years of experience from when I mapped it.

But I'm not able to get on osu! to check on it, or I'm not very active and don't see it before suddenly

oops

"hey guys im gonna get this ranked haha wow i love bad apple"

sir no dont

"hahah"

sir

"hahahahahhahahaha"

"Wow CDFA sucks at mapping what the fuck"

2) I know there's a lot of debate about mappers and shit doing their own work, but this would completely destory everything about that if I could be like "Wow CDFA mapset in the graveyard full ENHI spread, let me just take that and

pow pow

Now you have an entire CDFA mapset in your pending with literally no effort.

I'm not really huge on the whole "Your map is no longer a valid and playable map because you didn't make enough diffs for it", but still, it seems kind of unfair that the option to use someone else's work as your own seems really weird. A diff? Fine (Two if it's a taiko thing or however the other modes work), but an entire mapset? No.

A better idea would be a subforum where people can post "Open-Use Difficulties", in which players can map a difficulty, and place them in this forum, allowing other users to add that difficulty to their mapset. This will ensure that the maps being taken are allowed to be taken by the mapper, and it won't be mapsets, just diffs. I'd probably shove a lot of my graved maps in there (Although I give (generally) full permission to use my difficulties as long as the mapper asks me via PM.).

If you're looking for other diffs to add to your mapset, or want to continue a stopped mapset, try PMing the mapper. It helps to have experience with getting things ranked and to be able to make a name for yourself before doing this for most mappers. I know that personally, I'd be wary about giving my diffs to unknown people, as 95% of the time the diff will end up in the graveyard (Although 95% of the time I make diffs for friends, they end up in the graveyard too :P). I was able to get my normal for this map ( https://osu.ppy.sh/s/117243 ) by doing that
Kibbleru
well if he deleted it and quit it should be fine imo.

i mean nobody would know B)
blissfulyoshi
If you are scared about butchering it, then don't put his name in the diff name, and just credit him in your map information. (But as Kibb said, I doubt anyone would know)
Your Good Self
I guess if there's absolutely *no* evidence online to show that the beatmap was made by someone else, then I guess you can (incorrectly and secretly) claim it as your own.

blissfulyoshi wrote:

as Kibb said, I doubt anyone would know