forum

7K Key Layout Problem

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kaito-kun
1st of all, sorry if there's already a thread discussing this, the search tab is understandable for me.

OK, now to the problem (been having a lot of them recently, don't know why.........), My layout for 7K is ASDF JKL, I use the pinky finger, but people say that it's bad to use it at higher difficulties. Then I tried multiples thumb layouts, but none of them was confortable for me (not in terms of gameplay, more like it was not confortable in itself). May be my keyboard, tho.

So, I have 2 questions, 1. Do you reccomend me to keep playing with my pinky finger, or learn to use the thumb? If you tell me to learn to use the thumb, 2. Which layouts can you reccomend me for it? (have tried SDF space JKL, and QWE RightAlt P[])

Thx in advance :D
Silver Sky
IMO it's up to you, if your pinky finger is going to be strong enough to play harder maps I think it's fine. But it will take more time to train your pinky finger I suppose.
If you haven't played osu!mania for a long time I suggest you to change to thumb though, before it become your habit of playing with pinky finger.It is easier of course, in terms of finger strength and dexterity.
lenpai
Comfortability is a must but compatibility with other keymodes must be considered. Using a Pinky shouldn't be much of a problem if it suits you best. I know a couple of people who use pinkies instead of thumbs who can play really well. Pinkies are usually weak making hard maps harder to play than they should be but time will pass and that pinky strength will improve. So have it your way, no one's stopping you. :P

Although I still strongly suggest playing with thumbs. Maybe try it for 1 or 2 months. If it really sucks (thumb usage) then go to pinkies.
Bobbias

Amefurashi- wrote:

Maybe try it for 1 or 2 months. If it really sucks (thumb usage) then go to pinkies.
Solid advice. VSRGs are not the kind of game you can expect to play for a few hours and figure out what works. It takes months to really figure out what you're doing, with a few exceptions.

Learning to use your thumb is not an easy task, and it can seem like a good idea to just use a pinkie instead, but I would suggest at the very least trying to use your thumb for a while. Even if you switch back, it should be a valuable learning experience.
Topic Starter
Kaito-kun
Thx for the advice :) , but I can't find a confortable way to put my thumb into use (as I said earlier, I think it may be my keyboard), so can you reccomend me any way to put my thumb into use? Also, as I said, I don't find it unconfortable because I'm not used to it, it's more like it's an unconfortable position itself.

Gonna try learning using the thumb, possibly for 9k (wanting to learn all keymodes, going up to 8k now), but if I find that using the thumb is easier than using the pinky after some training, I'll keep it. If not, I'll still have some thumb experience for 9k :D (win-win anyway)
Bobbias
What keyboard are you using? I've only ever used standard cheap USB keyboards or laptops, so I have no experience with any keyboards that might be worse for using your thumb.
Topic Starter
Kaito-kun
I use the same type XD. but if you want models, I use the Genius KB-110X

Cuppp
Try moving your right hand up a row or two if necessary, some people find that more comfortable.

for instance JKL goes up to UIO or IOP
or you can move higher up to the numbers 789 or 890

but really all this shit is personal preference, play however you want
Topic Starter
Kaito-kun

Cuppp wrote:

Try moving your right hand up a row or two if necessary, some people find that more comfortable.

for instance JKL goes up to UIO or IOP
or you can move higher up to the numbers 789 or 890

but really all this shit is personal preference, play however you want
Well, thx for the info, just wanted to ask since I don't want to regret my decision later on, so I ask the pros (or at least the ones above me :P), who have more experience than me. Anyways, thx everyone for the help, gonna learn to use the thumb, but will keep my pinky finger in mind for future key modes :D
lenpai
It's all practice

Although I'm right handed, I use my left thumb in a shift, z ,x ,space, j, k, ,l layout in a macbook keyboard. Looks very uncomfortable but I got used to it.

Try any positioning that will fit thumb usage. There should be one.
Mwallx
Thumb of course.Even though both feeling sick when encounter
jacks,thumb is still relative more flexiable than pinky finger.
If you want to improve faster better change to thumb before you
construct a strong reflction of pinky finger.