forum

Ways to improve tap speed?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm
I've been at the 200 bpm wall for quite a while now (~5 months) despite intense practice my speed has only droppped slowly to my limit of 170 bpm. Are there any ways to fix this?

If you're going to suggest play more please go fuck off.
Yuudachi-kun
Bang your head against maps like cocaine and try to pass as much of scarlet rose as you can singletapping?
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

Bang your head against maps like cocaine and try to pass as much of scarlet rose as you can singletapping?
Fuck off if you can't give a serious reply.
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

Fuck off if you can't give a serious reply.
That wasn't serious? That first map really helped me.

Okay, I'll give you 90% of the replies in this thread "hurrr play more"
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

Okay, I'll give you 90% of the replies in this thread "hurrr play more"
That's what I've been doing for the last 5 months and my speed DROPPED.
Yuudachi-kun
You've also been playing a lot less everymonth. Coincidence? There's nothing else to try but changing your keyboard position/what keys you use.

E: noticed your graph only ends in nov 14. What happened to dec/jan?
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

You've also been playing a lot less everymonth. Coincidence? There's nothing else to try but changing your keyboard position/what keys you use.

E: noticed your graph only ends in nov 14. What happened to dec/jan?
RSI happened. Which is why PLAY MORE isn't a legitimate answer.
B1rd
that's weird. I can tap 240 without any practice.
Yuudachi-kun
If rsi happened then I don'tknow what to say. That's the cause and you'refucked until it heals?
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

If rsi happened then I don'tknow what to say. That's the cause and you'refucked until it heals?
No my speed has been decreasing even before I was diagnoised with RSI. I think Im probably doing something wrong but Idk what.
FlamingRok
I'd say slowly increase BPM speed. If you can single-tap 200BPM, try 205BPM, or 210BPM, until you are able to consistently single-tap those speeds. Then rinse and repeat. Eventually, you might find that even after a month, you can't get any faster. At that point, I'd say you might be at your body's limit (though who knows).
f i z i k

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

RSI happened.
and you still ask for help on getting faster,oh god

1. play MORE ABOVE your limit. if you don't get used to tapping faster you won't tap faster
2. if you really have rsi then just forget it already, do you really think injuring your hands is worth clicking circles? some people are just not cut out to be fast players, and some just ruin it by playing too hard stuff with shitty technique

You post quite a lot, you should know by now that noone can give you more advice than "technique>speed,sit properly and stay healthy,don't overdo it, don't put too much tension, don't stress yourself, play more"
Upskirt
Really, stop playing Osu if you have RSI. It will only get worse.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Venzire wrote:

Well it's not going to get better even if I stop. Might as well take the time to develop the tendons that are still attached.
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Venzire wrote:

Well it's not going to get better even if I stop. Might as well take the time to develop the tendons that are still attached.

And if you do inprove your tap speed you'll be more likely to get another RSI due to already having one?
Vuelo Eluko
i can only offer advice as a mediocre player who focuses on speed

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/38950 - Either difficulty + DT, packed with 225 bpm 1/4 notes which is a pretty good thing to shoot for IMO

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/229179&m=0 [Hard] + DT = another great map but for singletap speed only. It won't be overreaching for you but it will only help with singletap so.. eh

Another thing you could do is what I do, i pushed my speed by changing ar9 DnB maps to ar8 so i could read them better with DT, they all go to around 250-260 bpm. It's kind of overreaching but if you can follow the rhythm with your ears you can try to force your fingers to keep up, ive noticed my stream speeds gotten faster. what used to be 50's and misses eventually became a few 300's into a few 100's on those kinds of streams, over the course of something like a year. Progress.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Riince wrote:

i can only offer advice as a mediocre player who focuses on speed

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/38950 - Either difficulty + DT, packed with 225 bpm 1/4 notes which is a pretty good thing to shoot for IMO

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/229179&m=0 [Hard] + DT = another great map but for singletap speed only. It won't be overreaching for you but it will only help with singletap so.. eh

Another thing you could do is what I do, i pushed my speed by changing ar9 DnB maps to ar8 so i could read them better with DT, they all go to around 250-260 bpm. It's kind of overreaching but if you can follow the rhythm with your ears you can try to force your fingers to keep up, ive noticed my stream speeds gotten faster. what used to be 50's and misses eventually became a few 300's into a few 100's on those kinds of streams, over the course of something like a year. Progress.
Thank you for your helpful advice. I will give those a try.

Kheldragar wrote:

And if you do inprove your tap speed you'll be more likely to get another RSI due to already having one?
Surgery is always an option.
Ichi
My advise would be.

Try to play alot of DT and high BPM maps, focus on reading too. Sometimes is not how fast you hit the keyboard but how effectively you do it. Try and remember, when you started out with the game you would maybe attempt a map alot higher than your skill level and speed, and even though you would try to tap as fast as you could, it seemed like it was too slow. Now think about those maps that you can do now, are you really hitting much faster? well probably yes, but for the most part what made you pass those maps now is the reading ability you acquired. Sometimes is not that you don´t have the speed but you lack the reading for some streams or single circles.

Another advise would be, try to press the keys as lightly as you can and hold the pen as lightly as you can. If you´re not warmed up it may seem difficult, but as you play more try to have a mindset of lightly tapping the keys and holding the pen, and doing it fast. It´ll eventually give more stamina too.

Gl
Kwonaiden
3 weeks ago my comfort zone was 170 single tap which really sucks any thing over i would find difficult to keep combo. After mashing out weeks of practice on just really high bpm maps on no fail (no DT included) i am getting comfortable up to 210 -220 bpm zone single taps but still a long way to go to have it at good accuracy and to fc something.

Tried everything i can from wrist to fingers. What i found is the wrist is where it is at to break past the 200+ bpm barrier but i think you know this already.

The light tapping doesnt work for me, the faster i wanna go the harder i hit the keys hence why my finger tips kinda hurt now so a break is needed.

Maybe when i get used to it my tapping will be less harder on the keys.

Summary: play alot of high bpm maps outside of your comfort zone (went to around 250 i think? But stuck with maps around 230)

Start tapping from your wrist and practice mastering that i think finger tapping only goes so far but i than doomsday has some freakish fingers and his speed seems to be from his fingers (correct me if im wrong).

Lastly if you get the beat and rhythm of the song down your speed will naturally improve from reading the map. Kinda like touch typing where you think of words when you type but never the letters and voila! You typed a sentence.
cheezstik
I'd improve single tap stamina as well (which may or may not be a good thing for your RSI) since if you have more stamina, it doesn't take as much effort to single tap, so single tapping at anything other than your absolute max will be much more comfortable and consistent. For example, I can burst 280 for only a couple notes, but 250-260 is pretty much infinity, even though it's not that much slower.

A good map for training single tap stamina is the guitar vs piano maps, also trains aim and snapping as well as a bonus.
deletemyaccount
just alternate

edit: ok this may have sounded troll but it may actually be a solution. it werks
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

Philantropist wrote:

just alternate

edit: ok this may have sounded troll but it may actually be a solution. it werks
I originally tried that but it didn't help my stream speeds.
Spirit_Dreamer
RSI and not stopping? You think it's not gonna get better? Don't underestimate the human healing ability.Just stop to play and strain your hand until you feel absolutely no pain and discomfort.Probably your speed was getting lower exactly because bad posture/hand position and you ignored it until got too painful and then you noticed the RSI.Just rest until heals completely and even after that don't start immediately.Instead I propose to start using your left hand more in your daily activity for a while, raising the hand agility.Then it will be easier to get more natural and good posture that won't hurt you.
E m i

Spirit_Dreamer wrote:

RSI and not stopping? You think it's not gonna get better? Don't underestimate the human healing ability.Just stop to play and strain your hand until you feel absolutely no pain and discomfort.Probably your speed was getting lower exactly because bad posture/hand position and you ignored it until got too painful and then you noticed the RSI.Just rest until heals completely and even after that don't start immediately.Instead I propose to start using your left hand more in your daily activity for a while, raising the hand agility.Then it will be easier to get more natural and good posture that won't hurt you.
best advice in this thread.
or if your RSI is very specific, you might change tapping fingers/swap hands/whatever
Upskirt

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Venzire wrote:

Silly, it will only get worse. >.<
Ethelon
Your time off of osu is as important as on.

As fizik already mentioned, make your plays count for more by playing slightly above your limit, instead of increasing quantity. Improving isn't about getting to a point where you're playing all the time. You'll improve faster if you make the time you spend more valuable and then giving your evidently stressed nerves a break.
gh0st-
I literally could not stream over ~160bpm consistently until I was around 7k rank. After I broke that barrier I started playing a lot more maps with streams (I quit ar8 DT farming cuz that's bad for you), making me better at streaming. Only way to get better at something is to practice.
Nameless
Play more.

Yes, I'm serious.
Vuelo Eluko

MintLatios wrote:

Play more.

Yes, I'm serious.
with speed that doesn't work, you actually have to actively push yourself physically to develop it. or 200k plays later you'll be lewa
cheezstik

Riince wrote:

MintLatios wrote:

Play more.

Yes, I'm serious.
with speed that doesn't work, you actually have to actively push yourself physically to develop it. or 200k plays later you'll be lewa
One of the most accurate players in the world and still top 10 in PP after a year of afk? Sounds good.
otonashi-senpai

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Spirit_Dreamer wrote:

or if your RSI is very specific, you might change tapping fingers/swap hands/whatever
Inb4 he switches hands and gets RSI in both.
Topic Starter
ZenithPhantasm

[ Momiji ] wrote:

Spirit_Dreamer wrote:

I switched to index/ring
SHYTMISS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY
Use this , it helped me alot with streaming for short time 200bpm, for longer... too low stamina :)
And one more thing. Do not use force style. Just try to use as low power as you can...
buny
play high bpm maps for long periods of time
Yuudachi-kun
E m i

Kheldragar wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/90385 is so good.
jizzus
B1rd
Igorrr is good
show more