forum

Full Area?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
I got a 14x10cm tablet, and a 17" CRT monitor http://www.pcworld.com/product/1408665/ ... nitor.html
Should I use full area? I play fullscreen 1024x768
I already use most of it. I feel so much better at aim after I bought this bigger tablet and started using bigger area, but I am not sure if I should use full area really since my monitor is already pretty small
Also I use absolute raw input option. But I doubt that makes any difference since I play full screen :D
Ayy thanks for reading
SomeLoli
just use full area ayyyyy
Yuudachi-kun
Is 10cm x 5 cm approx good enough?
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
I think I'm using 8x6cm. I have a feeling that if my osu window is... 4:3 resolution that if I map my area 4:3 aswell play a lot of better. That is, at least what happened recently, because before I was playing on a 16:9 res windowed on a 4:3 monitor, and when i switched to fullscreen I saw huge aim improvements.
So this is somewhat... Little more than a half. Hmm..
So 10x5 falls off since it's not 4:3. Or does that even matter lol?
ayy
Yuudachi-kun
10x5 was only an approximation since my driver only gives the area in inches and I can't remember the exact values;

it's actually like 10.59 x 5.66 cm I think?
Topic Starter
MiloSx7
That's still not 4:3.. :D
B1rd
use full area if you're comfortable with it. Upping your osu! res would do the same thing.
Topic Starter
MiloSx7

B1rd wrote:

use full area if you're comfortable with it. Upping your osu! res would do the same thing.
It's already fullscreen, so it's max :D Only thing left to increase is the area
Drezi
Tablet area should be of the same proportions as your monitor. So 4:3 monitor 4:3 tablet area. Just use Force proportions and it does it automatically.

Full area is meaningless by itself, if you play osu fullscreen on a 16:10 or 4:3 monitor, then full area might very well be too big, and bigger than what most people have in mind when they say go full area.

Someone should make a guide on how tablet area, monitor and osu resolution relate to each other.
SomeLoli
Drezi didn't anyone tell you bigger is always better, ayyyyy. Full area it is :)
B1rd

Drezi wrote:

Tablet area should be of the same proportions as your monitor. So 4:3 monitor 4:3 tablet area. Just use Force proportions and it does it automatically.
you don't need to have the same proportions. It doesn't matter.
Drezi
you can get used to any crazy setting, but it does matter, it's easier that if you want to do squares on screen, you do it by moving your pen in a square pattern over the tablet aswell, and not different paralellograms depending on the orientation of the square...
TakuMii
Just try to use the biggest that you find comfortable. Bigger area means more precise movement, but only to an extent (if it requires arm movement or causes physical pain, you may need to adjust your pen grip or make your area smaller). Also, keep in mind that using the "Force Proportions"/"Screen Ratio" option on your tablet will make it easier to train your muscle memory, although it isn't necessarily required to become good at the game (I'd recommend it though).

Personally, I play on a 20" CRT, fullscreen at 1366x768 (16:9 on 4:3 screen, black bars on top/bottom) with an area of about 9cm x 5cm with "Force Proportions" and Raw Input turned on, and I'm doing just fine. I used to play on full area (about a year ago), but all that did was make my hand feel as if it was on fire.
B1rd
There is no evidence whatsoever that forced proportions has any effect, so don't say you have to use it. And I find the concept stupid, if you hold your pen higher that will make the pen tip move further vertically but not horizontally, the same as having an un-proportioned area. It's not how your brain works, your brain trains muscle memory by figuring out 'ok to hit that circle I need to move this muscle x amount and this muscle y amount', proportions has no effect on this process.

rrtyui doesn't have forced proportions and he has the best aim by far out of any current players.
TakuMii
I'm not sure about you, but I can make circles (not ovals) at my tablet area regardless of where I hold my pen... my grip doesn't change anything when it comes to making proportional movement.

I will admit that rrtyui doesn't have any problems with using a 16:10 area on a 16:9 monitor (not even that big of a difference), but it doesn't change the fact that you're adding an additional factor to compensate for while aiming. It'll make more of a difference when training your basic muscle memory... rrtyui has been playing since 2010 and has over 170k playcount, so he's already way beyond that stage.
B1rd

YayMii wrote:

I'm not sure about you, but I can make circles (not ovals) at my tablet area regardless of where I hold my pen... my grip doesn't change anything when it comes to making proportional movement.

I will admit that rrtyui doesn't have any problems with using a 16:10 area on a 16:9 monitor (not even that big of a difference), but it doesn't change the fact that you're adding an additional factor to compensate for while aiming. It'll make more of a difference when training your basic muscle memory... rrtyui has been playing since 2010 and has over 170k playcount, so he's already way beyond that stage.
It adds no additional factor...

If I hold my pen at the middle due to leverage it will move the tip over twice as much distance. In other words moving your grip up and down the pen has almost the exact same effect as making your area taller. Your brain has no comprehension of the pen tip, only how much muscle movement translates into how much movement on screen. This point is irrefutable and means that almost every plays with different proportions regardless if they have forced proportions on or not. Your arguement is invalid.
nrl
It makes more logical sense to use forced proportions, so unless you're already used to playing without them there's no reason not to. There isn't enough evidence either way to make a definite conclusion, and even players who don't force proportions likely approximate them very closely.

B1rd wrote:

This point is irrefutable and means that almost every plays with different proportions regardless if they have forced proportions on or not. Your arguement is invalid.
Irrefutable? Are you telling me your brain can't determine based on the weight distribution of the pen whether you're holding it near the tip or in the middle? Most people have used a writing utensil before, they already have muscle memory that's applicable to tablet play and have likely already developed the ability to determine where a pen-shaped object is pointing without looking at it. Your claim isn't just refutable, it's completely nonsensical. The pen tip might not be directly connected to your brain, but anyone who's used a pencil has some comprehension of where the tip is.
TakuMii
When I draw a circle on a piece of paper, I expect a circle to appear. It doesn't matter where I hold the pen, a circle will always appear. The weight distribution of the pen has nothing to do with whether I drew a circle or not. I don't see why or how this very same muscle memory doesn't apply to a tablet pen.
B1rd

Narrill wrote:

B1rd wrote:

This point is irrefutable and means that almost every plays with different proportions regardless if they have forced proportions on or not. Your arguement is invalid.
Irrefutable? Are you telling me your brain can't determine based on the weight distribution of the pen whether you're holding it near the tip or in the middle? Most people have used a writing utensil before, they already have muscle memory that's applicable to tablet play and have likely already developed the ability to determine where a pen-shaped object is pointing without looking at it. Your claim isn't just refutable, it's completely nonsensical. The pen tip might not be directly connected to your brain, but anyone who's used a pencil has some comprehension of where the tip is.
I wasn't trying to say it was impossible to determine where the pen tip was, that wasn't my main point. But what is nonsensical is you claiming that you gain muscle memory for osu! from writing. You obviously don't, they're completely different. You get muscle memory for osu! from clicking circles, whatever 'muscle memory' you have from writing isn't going to have any major impact on that.
nrl

B1rd wrote:

I wasn't trying to say it was impossible to determine where the pen tip was, that wasn't my main point.
It really is though; you're claiming that your brain can be completely fooled by moving your hand up higher on the pen, but the reality is that because your brain can easily determine where the pen tip is by the distribution of weight in the pen it just doesn't work that way.
show more