forum

The Transition from AR9 to AR10. How did you do it?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Scintillate
I've been seeing many forum posts asking, 'Hey how do I read >ar10?' Of course, the main and most common answer you will see everywhere will be PLAY AR10. So, rather than asking How do you do it I want to see how YOU YOURSELF did it. Tell us your story!

EXAMPLE: I play freedom dive 3,000,000 times with HR until I fc.

I can NOT read AR10 nor am I really trying to be able to read it, but I thought this would be a good idea to be more specific. Since people with actual experience with ACTUALLY READING AR10 could show and tell us!
gregest
I played AR10 maps with HD and bumm,I can read it
Vuelo Eluko
keep practicing your core skills reading consistency etc
you'll be ready for it when you're ready for it
E m i
by not caring about it
can't aim cs5.2 + ar10 maps are 6+ stars = don't need ar10
i still freeze on doubles/triples :(
Yuudachi-kun
Play more Ar10 to do AR10.
Nathan
Start out DTing ar 8 then just straight up play ar 10
xasuma
After ar8+DT was easy to read. I picked some songs I played a lot (AR9's), went on the editor and made them ar10. Since I had the songs somewhat memorized, I could do them. After that I took a 2 month break and when I came back I could read ar10. gg wp!
Arnold0
I wonder is something else then "Play More™" exist to read AR9.63, because it's annoying to play something you can't read correctly, and at the same time, bieng able to play AR9.63 is required to pass maps with DT...
Also I'm just too much rageing of ranks 70k who can play AR10...
ZenithPhantasm
I learned AR10 after realizing AR9 had too much shit on the screen.
Treekii
I played a lot of HR with AR7 songs, and DT with some AR8 songs. It helped me slowly transition to making ar10 more comfortable.
buny
i play airman adnd big blaek 1000 tiem now read ar10
Dashesd

buny wrote:

Thank you i'll do that from now on instead of trying to learn ar8+dt
"advice from rank 500 player > strat from some no name low ranked player"
Bengon
Little off topic, but has to do with AR10. What is better to do overall? Play AR10 then practice HR or practice HR and then play AR10 maps. I've lurked around the forums and have found that people say to do one or another when asked how do AR10/HR.
E m i
hr cuz cs5.2
Raniemi
I played AR8 DT to get used to AR9.6
After getting used to 9.6, the transition to AR10 just takes a little bit
of playing AR10
Heterozygous_old
I actually went right to ar8 hr before I have no problem with ar9 at all and now I think I got it all messed up.
Karuta-_old_1
play more ar9, really
ZenithPhantasm

Raniemi wrote:

I played AR9 DT to get used to AR9.6
lolwot?
Raniemi

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

lolwot?
Ehh .. fixed to AR8
Vuelo Eluko
im perfectly fluent in ar8dt but i find ar10 obnoxious, the approach circles on cs4 are too fast theyre distracting. hard rock fixes this issue though, small circles + ar10 = perfec
Gretsch
Play harder / faster maps on AR9 and you will get better at AR10. Don't dwell on the AR10 stuff. Do an AR10 map once in a while but don't dwell on it. If your accuracy is under 80% then there's no point in spamming it. As you get better you will have a day where you cross the plateau and AR10 is doable. Once you hit that then you can practice AR10 stuff for better accuracy.
ZenithPhantasm

Riince wrote:

im perfectly fluent in ar8dt but i find ar10 obnoxious, the approach circles on cs4 are too fast theyre distracting. hard rock fixes this issue though, small circles + ar10 = perfec
Have you tried using Hidden?
Vuelo Eluko

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Riince wrote:

Have you tried using Hidden?
i dislike hidden
wank_old_1
Same way I learned ar9, NoFail and spam maps. Probably why I can't do the accuracy thing.

I can 80-90%,most of these unranked ar10 maps, but now I can't read ar9 ;_;

Ar10 jumps are so fun tho.
FieryLight

Raniemi wrote:

I played AR8 DT to get used to AR9.6
After getting used to 9.6, the transition to AR10 just takes a little bit
of playing AR10
I took the same route + some unranked AR10 practice maps
RaneFire
Just a warning: I don't recommend this to any new player.

I was "stuck" at lower AR's for ages (2 and a half years). AR9.6 wasn't really a problem, because those are just AR8 at 1.5x speed. But when it came to reacting to fewer notes appearing faster, I was just useless because I think too much about rhythm and planning. AR10 didn't give me that safety margin of thinking ahead, so whenever things appeared too fast, I just fumbled.

The solution: Spam AR10 maps.

Who would've guessed you actually have to play AR10 to learn AR10. Of course, I didn't lose my ability to read AR's 7-9. I still speculate that people who complain about this couldn't read in the first place.
Vuelo Eluko

RaneFire wrote:

I still speculate that people who complain about this couldn't read in the first place.
i also believe this
Gumpy
Got bored with 9/8 and skipped to 10 which was a mistake to say the least now I tend to skip notes on 9 because I thought I hit them.
Tshemmp
I played Hard diffs with AR 7 and 8 with HR. Hard diffs because they are easier so you can focus more on the high AR.
Ninonuko
I don't really understand what is reading skill (I'm serious), I can play AR 7-10 no problem, if I got combobreak I think it's just my aim or taping
I got ar 10 by spaming high bpm AR 9 crazy map, then I try AR 10 and it's look slower
Then after I can FC AR 10 (edited map or HR easy insane) I realize what makes HR hard
Daborgia
I Hr all the way to AR10.

Hardest thingy with Hr is the harder OD + Hp Drain and the really small Circles but it also improves your aiming skills ( just hit with 100 and u die because of HP drain=.

Personally i can´t recommend Ar8 +Dt because i began slamming my Keyboard because of the 50% Speed increase and the Risk of just spamming is way bigger than Hr well known maps because of the much higher BPM. The only upsides of Dt Ar8 are u get used to high Bpm and get moar Speed, abd the jump from 9 to 9.6 is rather short, than direct from 9 to 10.
RaneFire

Ninonuko wrote:

I don't really understand what is reading skill (I'm serious), I can play AR 7-10 no problem, if I got combobreak I think it's just my aim or taping
I got ar 10 by spaming high bpm AR 9 crazy map, then I try AR 10 and it's look slower
Then after I can FC AR 10 (edited map or HR easy insane) I realize what makes HR hard
Reading skill is holistic. Whatever caused you to make a mistake can likely be avoided if your reading was better. That is assuming it was a mistake. I have a hard time calling things I can't do... "mistakes". So reading is broadly used to describe your ability to play maps well, which you have the skills to play. It is speculative at best to try measure anything outside of that, because you can't play it.

A common misconception is that reading is all about AR. It's a major component, but it's not "just" AR. There are maps I have trouble reading which are within the AR range I'm comfortable reading, but they are more complex, throwing a lot more information at me, whilst also being difficult to execute. It's important to note that this all occurs at once. Simplicity with difficulty does not mean it's difficult to read, but only that it is difficult. Likewise, a map with visual obscurity, that isn't actually difficult, will give me ample time to read, making it not so difficult.

Basically reading is a subjective topic concerning an individual's skill. You can read AR10, but still be shit. Some people are upset by lowbies claiming to read AR10, forgetting that whatever standard they are using to measure themselves is very different. So in this sense, if you want to compare yourself to a lowbie, they can't read AR10 by your standard, yet they can to themselves. A new player can likely read AR8 after a few weeks, but lacks the skill to play higher difficulty AR8 maps. Thus it's quite pointless to compare reading, since holistically, it includes your skill level.
Ninonuko

Ninonuko wrote:

I can play AR 7-10 no problem
I mean I edit the map that I can play well (most of them are insane ar 8/9 ) to ar 7-10 and have no problem

RaneFire wrote:

A common misconception is that reading is all about AR. It's a major component, but it's not "just" AR. There are maps I have trouble reading which are within the AR range I'm comfortable reading, but they are more complex, throwing a lot more information at me, whilst also being difficult to execute. It's important to note that this all occurs at once. Simplicity with difficulty does not mean it's difficult to read, but only that it is difficult. Likewise, a map with visual obscurity, that isn't actually difficult, will give me ample time to read, making it not so difficult.
what I dont really understand is why spamming high bpm crazy map like with a dance number, talent shredder, adults toy, etc make ar 10 looks slower. But many people say you must play ar 10 to learn ar 10

RaneFire wrote:

Basically reading is a subjective topic concerning an individual's skill. You can read AR10, but still be shit. Some people are upset by lowbies claiming to read AR10, forgetting that whatever standard they are using to measure themselves is very different. So in this sense, if you want to compare yourself to a lowbie, they can't read AR10 by your standard, yet they can to themselves. A new player can likely read AR8 after a few weeks, but lacks the skill to play higher difficulty AR8 maps. Thus it's quite pointless to compare reading, since holistically, it includes your skill level.
I'm never claim I can read something, because I don't really understand what is that but I know it's hard to get
Then I will never claim that I can read something, because of my extremely bad accuracy that far bellow my standart, even I can FC without many tries but I just play whack a mole
RaneFire

Ninonuko wrote:

what I dont really understand is why spamming high bpm crazy map like with a dance number, talent shredder, adults toy, etc make ar 10 looks slower. But many people say you must play ar 10 to learn ar 10
Note density is a bigger factor than AR by itself. Most high BPM maps have high note density and learning to process more information is what makes previous attempts look slower. You're also likely experiencing more adrenaline than normal by playing maps that feel "crazy", if it's just temporary.

Ninonuko wrote:

I'm never claim I can read something, because I don't really understand what is that but I know it's hard to get
Then I will never claim that I can read something, because of my extremely bad accuracy that far bellow my standart, even I can FC without many tries but I just play whack a mole
I was wondering for a moment, but you do seem to understand. It's not as complicated as I make it sound.
buny

Dashesd wrote:

buny wrote:

Thank you i'll do that from now on instead of trying to learn ar8+dt
"advice from rank 500 player > strat from some no name low ranked player"

it works

why is there always a shit storm on two conflicting opinions?

and why do 5 digit ranks always come into threads like this claiming that they can read ar10 without having any decent ar10 scores?
fieryrage
I can't read AR 10 at all except for Airman.
Green Platinum

fieryrage wrote:

Probably a sign you can't read ar10. The drain on Airman is so low it's more impressive if you fail.
Vuelo Eluko

Green Platinum wrote:

fieryrage wrote:

Probably a sign you can't read ar10. The drain on Airman is so low it's more impressive if you fail.
i can read ar10 but i cant pass airman
what do
E m i

Riince wrote:

i can read ar10 but i cant pass airman
what do
rotate all objects by 180 degrees
i memorized airman (probably incorrectly) and this allowed me to play it without memorization 8-)
and pass 8-)
nrl

RaneFire wrote:

Thus it's quite pointless to compare reading, since holistically, it includes your skill level.
It's not that reading is holistic, per se, it's that the effects produced by changes in reading skill aren't easily distinguishable from those produced by changes in all the other core skills. Bad reading can cause you to have bad accuracy or miss. Bad aim and accuracy and speed can all also cause you to have bad accuracy or miss. The problem lies in the fact that because all the externally visible effects of a single instance of reading failure are identical the delineation must be done by the player themself and must occur during play; an outside party cannot make this determination at all, and the player cannot make it without a constant level of self-awareness. This is true of all the other core skills as well, not just reading.

It's possible, however, to determine a player's proficiency with a given component of skill from the outside by observing changes in overall performance as the input (the beatmaps) is quantifiably changed in ways that should theoretically interact with that component of skill. Such a determination is of no use in answering the question "did I miss that note because of bad reading or bad aim?", but as long as the question exists in a broader frame than that reading can certainly be evaluated, compared, and discussed. The real difficulty is in determining exactly what an isolated increase in reading difficulty means in the context of a beatmap.
show more