forum

[resolved] [Solved] osu! Client Stutters

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Scorpium
Problem Details: What's been happening to me is that my osu! client stutters a lot, well they are light stutters, but they may get to the point that I can't play at my best performance.

This started happening since I used my new laptop that I just bought (ASUS A455LN-WX016U), and the specifications is as follows:
Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit
Intel Core i5-4200 @ 1.70 GHz (Haswell)
4GB DDR3 RAM Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 840M (2GB VRAM)

I already tried several solutions to this, from the other forums as well, but nothing worked. I thought this was a problem from the so-called cursor stutters on the Windows 8.1, but the solution didn't do anything, as well as updating my Windows 8.1 version to the absolute latest release and updating my drivers. I also tried exiting ALL of my background programs including my PC protection softwares, leaving only NVIDIA Control Panel and Bluetooth icons on the taskbar, it didn't work as well. I even tried switching GPU integration from Intel HD Graphics to NVIDIA, which obviously won't work. I tried using the cutting-edge release of osu!, it didn't work as well. But when I play other games, such problem doesn't appear, only in osu!. Using OpenGL instead of DirectX also didn't work, and only results in me having input delay in the game. Setting the priority of osu! to high in the Task Manager didn't do anything as well. And of course, I tried my frame limiters one by one, and nothing works as well. None of my friends know the problem when I asked them as well.

I'd be glad if anyone's able to help me with my problem. Sorry about my English.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: (Do I need to put this in? Because it would take some time with my slow upload speed, but if it's necessary then i will do something about this.)

Cheers.

osu! version: 20150109.1 (latest)
Flanster
When does it occur, randomly or at certain places?
Topic Starter
Scorpium

LoliFlan wrote:

When does it occur, randomly or at certain places?
It happens all the time, but sometimes it would get crazy at some specific maps. And of course I've turned off the SB and video.

EDIT: To add, it only happens when I play, it doesnt happen in the menus or w/e.
Flanster
Try updating/reinstalling your motherboard drivers. Same for audio drivers and installed codecs.
Try them one by one.

I'm curious though as to why it happens only in osu!, getting any fps drops?
You can also try selecting the audio source from options.
Topic Starter
Scorpium

LoliFlan wrote:

Try updating/reinstalling your motherboard drivers. Same for audio drivers and installed codecs.
Try them one by one.

I'm curious though as to why it happens only in osu!, getting any fps drops?
You can also try selecting the audio source from options.
Nope, my fps is fine, it's pretty stable.
And for the audio source there's only Realtek so I can't do anything about it.

EDIT: Well actually I dont have the dropdown option for that lol.
Flanster
Thats because I have a monitor with HDMI plugged in as a 2nd audio source.
Anyway try those drivers/codecs.
Topic Starter
Scorpium
Ok I just tried updating my audio and mainly other Intel chipset-related stuff, and they are actually updated to the latest version, since this is a pretty new notebook.
I'm still pretty curious about reinstalling my drivers and all that since I have almost zero experience with it, but I did reinstall my audio driver. Didn't work as well.

I'm afraid it's a hardware problem, but who knows.
Flanster
Is your laptop using an SSD (Solid State Drive) by any chance?
magg82

LoliFlan wrote:

yes
VeilStar

magg82 wrote:

yes
Would it be possible to run osu! off a different drive that isn't an SSD?
I assume LoliFlan asked this because very recently someone with a similar thread fixed it by moving osu! to his hdd.

You can just cut and paste (or move, or copy) the entire osu! folder, btw. No need to actually install it.
magg82
okay thanks wil try that
Topic Starter
Scorpium

LoliFlan wrote:

I'm using a regular HDD. Sorry for the late response, I was away to do some IRL things.

Anyway, in the meantime I'm going to copy my osu! from D:\ to C:\, to see if it might just work. I'll leave this until I get some results.

EDIT: Well somehow the problem really is resolved by me installing a new and clean osu! client in C:\, and copying all the Songs, Skins, and Replays folders over from the osu! client on the D:\ drive to the client in C:\ drive. Strangely enough, they're not even in a separated drive (C:\ and D:\ are combined in 1 HDD), and it seems to work better in C:\ drive. I suppose it's not a hardware problem, but a strange software problem.

Thanks for those who've helped me finding solutions to this. :D
Bara-
Off-topic
Don't mark threads by yourself
A moderator will do it, and move it to Resolved Subforum
drum drum
Marking resolved