forum

Do you need to be able to play all of the modes? (4-7k)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
George Lopez
I've only really played standard osu seriously and im thinking about giving mania a try since it seems really fun c: Anyway, do i need to be able to play 4k, 5k, 6k and 7k (im guessing those are the main ones?) well to play it at the top level. Or are there top players that for example, only play 4k?
ikzune
its all preference however u will find at least 10x the amount of songs in 4k and 7k compared to other keymodes so keep that in mind, 8k has a lot of songs to but you would have to go through the effort of looking on lunatic rave 2 and most likely playing on something like that, the only thing you should be aware of is if you start with 4k and stick to it, it becomes a chore to learn 7k once you have learnt 7k to the early bms level you should be able to have fun and at least improve in that key mode while improving 4key
Starry-

xkrissi wrote:

I've only really played standard osu seriously and im thinking about giving mania a try since it seems really fun c: Anyway, do i need to be able to play 4k, 5k, 6k and 7k (im guessing those are the main ones?) well to play it at the top level. Or are there top players that for example, only play 4k?
The main modes are definitely 4K and 7K. If you play 7K, well at least for me, I tend to get a lot of skill and ability in other keymodes (5K 6K 8K) too.
It's all about what you find fun really, but I definitely do recommend learning both. As laishiou said, a very large majority of the mapsets here are 4K and 7K, so you only really 'need' to play them in order to get a higher rank, at least.

Yes there's higher rank 4K players that only really play 4K, but maximum their rank tends to cap out at around #300~1000, since there isn't enough harder 4K maps ranked currently. But osu!mania is still a growing game mode, and things will change quite frequently, compared to standard at least.

Just play what you enjoy, but note the popular keymodes are 4K and 7K. I highly recommend you get a feel for both of them.
Aqo
it's kinda stupid that all key modes share the same ranking considering they're completely different games

I can understand if they don't want to make a ranking per key but at least give separate ranking for 4K vs 7K vs other

There should be like
Stepmania ranking: 4K/6K
o2mania ranking: 7K/7K+1(what most people here call 8K)
other mania ranking: shared ranking for 1K/2K/3K/5K/9K/10K/future key modes
lenpai
If you're after rank, practice a lot on 4k and 7k well more of 7k since more 7k maps are ranked and have more (in amount) difficult ranked content.

If you just want to play, then have it your way. ^^
Reiko
Top ranks do play 4k/7k/8k but in O!m its hard to find alot 8k maps so i would prefer to practise 8k in Lunatic Rave 2 (Lr2)
Pinecone
start with 4k, practice for a month, then try 7k
CephiCC

Hazelnut- wrote:

start 7k instead. Push yourself really hard for a month at most, and you'll have a good understanding of all the concepts neccesary for other game modes. Then move to 4k and begin to practice your stamina/bpm/rhythm/patterns.

It's easier to move from 7k to other modes. It's hard as shit to move up from 4k to 7k. It's not quite as hard to learn on 7k as it might seem.

Make sure you have a solid warm up and cool down and properly practice. Have fun :3
Jole

Hazelnut- wrote:

It's actually better to start with a higher key count first. Once you're able to play 7k it's very easy to step down to the other keymodes compared to going up from 4k
ikzune

Jole wrote:

Hazelnut- wrote:

It's actually better to start with a higher key count first. Once you're able to play 7k it's very easy to step down to the other keymodes compared to going up from 4k
Knit_old_1
if for whatever reason you don't want to play any of the keymodes, dont play them.
Starry-
Actually I started with 4K for the first few weeks or so, then I made an easy transition to 7K, playing them both equally.
I assume people have issues with higher keymodes because they play 4K exclusively for more than a month or two, that's when it becomes an issue. :P
But sometimes it's best to just get a feel for osu!mania as a whole first.
Cannu

Starry- wrote:

Actually I started with 4K for the first few weeks or so, then I made an easy transition to 7K, playing them both equally.
I assume people have issues with higher keymodes because they play 4K exclusively for more than a month or two, that's when it becomes an issue. :P
I can vouch for this. I have been playing mania for months and only ever focused on 4K. Now I've realised to get any further rank wise, I need to move on to 7K as there are no other 4K maps, but the transition is CRAZY
lenpai

CannuJul wrote:

Starry- wrote:

I can vouch for this. I have been playing mania for months and only ever focused on 4K. Now I've realised to get any further rank wise, I need to move on to 7K as there are no other 4K maps, but the transition is CRAZY
Just following up what CannuJul said.
6k - 7k, personally is already a 2 month transition. 4k will be much more difficult imo.
Bobbias

CannuJul wrote:

I have been playing mania for months and only ever focused on 4K. Now I've realised to get any further rank wise, I need to move on to 7K as there are no other 4K maps
This is just because we don't have a lot of maps yet... Once we have enough maps, it should be possible to be competitive even only playing one key mode. However, that time is a long way off, because in order for that to work, players would need enough high PP maps in every key mode to potentially fill their entire top ranks list. Still, as time goes on, it will be easier to stick to one key mode and rank up.

The main reason to play other key modes is the difference in how they play. Each key mode has it's own patterns, and each plays differently. For example, even though 4k and 6k have even numbers of keys, they play very differently. And although 7k is 6k with an extra button, the odd number of keys changes the patterns that are common. 5k and 7k are probably more close to each other than 4k and 6k are, but 5k still feels quite different since it's still 2 keys less than 7k.
pengomon
Just training, training, and training.... :)
Dracokain
Learn the patterns and the timing on 4k then move to try and practice playing 7k. I stated out on Beatmania/o2jam and going from 7k to 4k was a breeze. But I can see where going the other direction would cause problems.