forum

[Archived] I can't install osu! anymore

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rekalar26
Problem Details:

Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman from the osu! Techsupport,
I'm certainly having a big problem with installing the game and I can't find the solution. I have Windows 8.1 and it worked totally fine before I reinstalled my whole setup. And now I can't get into the game. Its installing pretty normally but when its trying to open up it just comes with the message "osu! stopped working".

I tried many differnet things to get this working:
- re-installing
- deleting my registry/cache
- compability mode (for Win7, WinXP Service Pack 2/3)
- start as administrator
- downloading/installing the newest Windows updates
- updating graphic card driver
- using the osume.exe (screenshot below shows what kind of error I get when I open the .exe)
- downloading/installing the offline client without the installer

I hope you can help I'm becoming desperate with this problem.

Greetings, Victor Martin (aka Rekalar26)

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

https://osu.zendesk.com/attachments/tok ... +error.png

osu! version: 20141030.8
VeilStar
Osu!me is not supported anymore as far as I'm aware, updates are now handles trough the new updater.

Try what I said here;

VeilStar wrote:

If this is due to the latest CuttingEdge update, then open the "osu!.cfg" file in the osu! directory with any text editor (wordpad for example),
and change the first line to "_ReleaseStream = Stable".
Then launch osu! as you usually do and it should download/update the files to stable, and launch it normally again.

If that doesn't work then download this and extract the files into your osu! folder, do the .cfg edit I said previously, and launch osu!,
then let it update (while staying on stable), restart, and you're done.
Make sure you're NOT running osu! in compatibility mode and are NOT running it as admin.
Topic Starter
Rekalar26
If this is due to the latest CuttingEdge update, then open the "osu!.cfg" file in the osu! directory with any text editor (wordpad for example),
and change the first line to "_ReleaseStream = Stable".
Then launch osu! as you usually do and it should download/update the files to stable, and launch it normally again.

If that doesn't work then download this and extract the files into your osu! folder, do the .cfg edit I said previously, and launch osu!,
then let it update (while staying on stable), restart, and you're done.
My "_ReleaseStream" was already on Stable and extracting these files into the folder didn't work either, it just doesn't respond at all anymore. No textbox, no message, no error. It loads for about 2 seconds and then it stops, launching nothing.
hallucinater
Something may still be on your computer whether it be running or just in a file somewhere. Check Task manager and also make sure you don't have any Files left over when you previously uninstalled it. Not too sure if this is the problem but it might be
drum drum
Topic Starter
Rekalar26
:x

hallucinater wrote:

Something may still be on your computer whether it be running or just in a file somewhere. Check Task manager and also make sure you don't have any Files left over when you previously uninstalled it. Not too sure if this is the problem but it might be
I looked up everything after uninstalling it, every folder where it might could be and also deleted old files from another hard drive of mine.

drum drum wrote:

Try this osume? http://osu.ppy.sh/release/osume.exe
Doesn't work either, same error message

Geez this gets annoying, that I can't find any solution to the problem. :x
drum drum
Can you open Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs -> Application and run osu!
Share the error message it provides
VeilStar
t/271661/start=15

VeilStar wrote:

Just updating, this is what we've found out trough testing via teamviewer.

Issue:
Outdated osu! would pop up with an error saying the program has stopped working.
Updated osu! would simply not even run, not a trace of it in the task manager. Shift+enter didn't do anything. Running as admin didn't either.

What I noticed:
Since even running the application as admin didn't show any sign of a reaction, and everything else worked fine,
I immediately thought that it was probably due to account related permissions. Which turned out to sort of be the case.

Suggestion:
Create a temporary guest account in windows and try to run osu! from that account.

Result:
Osu! does run perfectly fine on the guest account.

Suggestion:
Check your UAC permissions.

Result:
With UAC set to the default osu! does run on the main account, but here comes the weird part.
The process just closes for no apparant reason out of the blue.

Suggestion:
Do a scan to make sure there is nothing 'bad' that could cause the process to abruptly close.

Result:
No idea yet, waiting for an update from the OP.
Anyway, does anyone have any idea why osu! (or any program) would literally just vanish while running?
(It just literally closes out of the blue, it's really odd.)

Basically.... make sure your UAC settings are not turned off, but set to the default.
Also try making a guest account in windows and running osu! from there