forum

[Guideline] Map's Creator must map an easier difficulty.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Winek
I'll just give a quick exemple:
RandomPlayer: Wow, I really like SuperMapper's Maps. I'll go get some more!
RandomPlayer: I love this mapper and the song... but I can't pass the Insane that SuperMapper made also, and there aren't any easier diffs by him...
Some time later
RandomPlayer: Hello SuperMapper, why didn't you map anything easier on this song?
SuperMapper: Lol get lost and go train instead of annoying me :)

Changing the OP:

The mapper should map at least a single Easy, Normal or Hard. Mapping only an Insane/Extra or more would not be suggested,
Other difficulties can be provided by other people.

Changed to guideline for now.
[N]ephy
You're completely right, we should not forget beginners or people who wants to play easy/normal/hard maps.
But like that people who just like to do an specialy map on their favourite music must to do other difficults ... they will just do nothing :/
Eni
Mappers shouldn't be restricted to what difficulties they need to map. I don't see how this new rule will help the current Ranking System. We have Guest Difficulties to help the original mapper.
Ayachi-
lol, I think GD works fine
nothing wrong with GD
DakeDekaane
Although I'd want to see more mappers making all the set difficulties, I understand the human side of mappers and I see no reason to restrict it specifically to easier difficulties, if they're forced to, we'll end with worse easier difficulties, so let's just keep it as we have now.
xxdeathx
When I read the title I thought OP wanted to prevent mapsets like these https://osu.ppy.sh/s/210937 https://osu.ppy.sh/s/87630 whose creator only mapped 1 diff and let the rest be GD's.

Anyways, to answer your proposal, I do agree that it's no fun for us less skilled players to be unable to play those single really hard difficulty beatmaps like [FOUR DIMENSIONS] and [0108 style] and [WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BLACK] properly.
So now they already can't get ranked anymore unless the song is over 5 minutes, and very few are. Those maps you mention were ranked before the 5 minute approval rule. If somebody wanted to rank them now, yes, they'd have to map a full set with easier diffs.
Shohei Ohtani
this rule already exists.

There's literally a rule for this.
Black Wolf159
Less Skilled players even play Big black or Image Material to improve, I just don't like the idea.
If the mapper want to make all diff, good, but if it's the contrary, we can't do nothing. It's true that some songs are really good but hard at the same time.

There are a lot of map on osu to play, people will get better to play those popular or funny songs, Mapping and playing isn't the same but they're both hard and spend your time. Players can learn how to map with osu!academy help or some other person; even by self...

xxdeathx: Best 2013 map and only have 1 diff by Kuria, lol.
Lach
I don't understand the reasoning behind this. While I would like larger contributions from the uploader (especially in the case of shorter songs) I don't think it's reasonable to make them HAVE to map their own easy/normal difficulty. I'm unsure what your reasoning for suggesting this is based off of the little story in the op, because that never happens. If SuperMapper wants to make hard maps and only hard maps included in his set, that's fine, as SuperMappers' maps will not get ranked that way. Unless they're above 5 minutes, in which case, good on him. That's the entire premise of approval.
KSHR

DakeDekaane wrote:

Although I'd want to see more mappers making all the set difficulties, I understand the human side of mappers and I see no reason to restrict it specifically to easier difficulties, if they're forced to, we'll end with worse easier difficulties, so let's just keep it as we have now.
I agree with this.
What's wrong with asking a mapper who is good at making easier difficulties for Easy/Normal?
Well.. there is no point in stating this into the Ranking Criteria in my opinion.
Topic Starter
Winek
As I said;

What if a player wants to play SuperMaper's map, but can't pass anything because he only make [noguard] [FOUR DIMENSION] [xxx style] ?
I totally am not talking about GDs; i'm talking about THE mapper.

I don't know if anyone understood but I said that the original creator of the mapset must at least map one of the easy difficulty including easy/normal/hard.
i guess my stupid op wasnt good enough
Thus this mapset:
Easy
RandomMapper's Normal
IdkWho's Hard
Insane

Would be correct; because the original mapper mapped an easier difficulty.

The reason i'm doing this thread is because alot of people think about the song; That's why a proper mapset must be included with at least a Normal.
But did you even think about Players that want to play X Mapper's map, but can because of these things? (thanks xxdeathx)
Kyouren
I think add too: Advanced or Medium diff~
If a mapper make Normal is too hard or Hard is too easy, so yeah (add)!
Topic Starter
Winek

gokugohan12468 wrote:

I think add too: Advanced or Medium diff~
If a mapper make Normal is too hard or Hard is too easy, so yeah (add)!
Advanced and Medium are somehow alike to Normal and Hard, so i guess it can be as well in.
Shohei Ohtani
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt and hoping you were saying the less completely wrong thing. Turns out i was wrong

Firstly, I dont think this is an issue people even care about. I see issues with mappers just piling on guest diffs, but ive never seen anybody caring about "oh well i just really need this guy's easies", especially in the context youre putting it in, with the implication that people are actively discussing wanting specific mappers easy diffs.

Secondly, theres no real justification to make it a rule. For a new rule to be added, there has to be an issue present id the rule is not added. For instance, the tule of forcing mappers to map the majority is in place because otherwise, it can be seen as taking someone elses work and getting credit for it, since someone else made the majority of the content. With this, theres no problem that is created from not having this.

I could go on, but i think those two points touch the majority of why this is completely wrong. If its seriously an issue to where you just NEED to pass a certain mappers map, then let that be motivation to get better at the game. Also, i dont see how people really would even get a sense of satisfaction from having a specific mappers easy. Theres huge stylistic changes that happen between easy and extra. I dont play a CDFA easy and go "wow this is just like playing CDFAs hardest map wow am i satisfied"

. . . Also, i dont even think theres any active mappers that fit this criteria of having no submitted easies/normals anyway, so uhhh
Topic Starter
Winek

CDFA wrote:

long text so just replaced it with "long text" ll
Trying to pill up the massh duuh

This is to prevents thing like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/87630 where the mapper only maps Insane and leave the other stuff to other mappers.
But indeed, having this as a "rule" doesn't quite fit, so I think a guideline here would be much appropriated.

and yes i do care duh look at my shitty rank
Shohei Ohtani
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/104986

Heres some Kurai easy for you have fun
Oyatsu
Feel nothing to say this as a new rule, what if the song is difficult to map a Easy/Normal diff, for example like high bpm. It is already a must. For clearer, I really didn't understand your mean and the mean of the subject.
Topic Starter
Winek

CDFA wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/104986

Heres some Kurai easy for you have fun
So I can't play a mapper's easy/normal etc because probably it was too boring to do this for the mapper, or that he just want to take [noguard] style and can't even map a single Hard diff?
ErunamoJAZZ
Hi. For me, the important thing is that the mapset have a proper spread. What care who made the diff?
Im agree with railgun that this "rule" is not intended to improve the ranking system. It is more a personal taste imo.

Is like the rule about preview point unsnaped xD

:)
Stefan
This is an awful idea.
Akali
What's the difference who maps it, they are all the same, easies especially. Newer players should forfeit playing easies or normals as fast as they can, the only reason more than 5 of them exists is that they can enjoy same songs.
Sakura
ftr Nogard diffs are Blue Dragon maps and he's mapped easier maps in his own sets.

Not every mapper is good at mapping every difficulty, some are pretty good at making Insanes/Extras but can't map an Easy/Normal, while others are good at mapping Easy/Normal but can't map an Insane/Extra, this is the reason mappers seek guest diffs to make good mapsets, in the end, you're still playing a difficulty that matches your play skill existent on the set, which is the reason the difficulty spread rule exists, we want good quality mapsets and unfortunately since not everyone is expert at mapping every single level of difficulty, guest mappers help in that regard.
show more