I'm a perverted old fogey.
blissfulyoshi

YodaSnipe wrote:

I'm a perverted old fogey.
I feel even older now, since if I remember correctly, I am older than you Yoda
YTYuyu
so you're saying you're older than 22 yoshi? o.o
Skyhmer
Was it decided on what days people would meet?
Are we going to eat out as a group on multiple days?
YodaSnipe

Byakugan249 wrote:

so you're saying you're older than 22 yoshi? o.o
Holy crap you remembered my age? xD
blissfulyoshi
Oh yoda is only 22, then I am older by a bit.
YodaSnipe

Gleipnir wrote:

Was it decided on what days people would meet?
Are we going to eat out as a group on multiple days?
As far as tradition, the official dinner is on the Saturday of the convention. It's the day that has the most "stuff", and therefore the highest potential meet-up attendance. However, from past experiences, lots of the Canadiosu!ans will end up making small groups and go for lunches/dinners. We used to go to an actual restaurant for dinner, but ever since this anime north tradition started getting more popular, we've been unable to find restaurants that can host the entire party. Last year we just went to boston pizza and ordered a ton of pizzas for a picnic.

I'm only able to go on the Saturday this year unfortunately. I may or may not be able to drive people around this year either so keep that in mind as well. I don't mind being a chauffeur but I have other responsibilities this year.

I also don't mind paying for the lunch (assuming it's something like pizza, just like last year's). People just paid me back in cash/change after we ate. It makes paying for the food a lot simpler. We'll need to agree on a time of day, and location (likely the Sheraton if they will let us bring in lots of pizzas).

tl;dr:
- Saturday dinner
- Probably pizza
- Bring some cash.
mm201
Hi
I'll be there
In the manga library again
kaetwo

YodaSnipe wrote:

tl;dr:
- Saturday dinner
- Probably pizza
- Bring somelots of cash.
ftfy, gotta have that cash to buy alpacas, posters, and all the pizza in the world
I have long red hair, and black, thicked framed glasses, and I'll be carrying around an adidas bag so it's not hard to catch me.
Jintai

Kairi wrote:

Put me in!
Riceball buddy #1 <3
Baan
friendly tip for Anime north:

Even if you must wait 45 minutes at subway for your food, do NOT walk far to purchase food, it is not worth it. Police stopped my friends and I and told us that its not safe to walk around like "that." (one of my friends bought a waifu.. lol)

ya so take care :oops: :oops:
Navizel
But I have my Madoka body pillow along with me last time :o

I'll probably wear my last of us fireflies shirt along with a laptop bag with a master ball and a "I <3 Yuri" pin attached. Say hi if you found me in the con. i'm very shy irl
blissfulyoshi
I know for myself, I just bought a footlong from Subway's in the morning when it was wasn't crowded, put the other half in my backpack and ate it later on the go (I usually eat while walking in conventions, but it does give you more time to browse).

As for what I am going to wear, probably one of my Love Live shirts (p/3649125), either Umi or Kotori, depending on the day.
Shiro-
So hyped to go this year since i missed the one last year :DDD
Baan

blissfulyoshi wrote:

I know for myself, I just bought a footlong from Subway's in the morning when it was wasn't crowded, put the other half in my backpack and ate it later on the go (I usually eat while walking in conventions, but it does give you more time to browse).

As for what I am going to wear, probably one of my Love Live shirts (p/3649125), either Umi or Kotori, depending on the day.
this is what i call dedication
YodaSnipe

Baan wrote:

this is what i call dedication
You should'a seen my wall(s) of Mio back in the day. It was so fantastic.
kaetwo
and all my anime stuff is going to come from anime north
Yoshi_green
Oh um for the record, if anybody needs to find me for any reason, I should be fairly easy to spot

Tall-ish asian guy wearing more or less all green clothes, it's my tradition

Also, quick question, is there a point in coming on Friday for anything if I'm not staying in a hotel? For the past couple of years, I've only came Saturday and Sunday because the drive was worth the time spent there, but idk about Friday :/
Kitsunemimi
Friday is always better than Sunday.
Topic Starter
Haneii

Yoshi_green wrote:

Also, quick question, is there a point in coming on Friday for anything if I'm not staying in a hotel? For the past couple of years, I've only came Saturday and Sunday because the drive was worth the time spent there, but idk about Friday :/
I find Friday more fun than Sunday (there's the Dealers room right when it opens, Nominoichi, Kigarumi Kpop Dance, Anime Hell, outdoor rave, and Karaoke!). I have a feeling I'm just tired by the time Sunday comes along so I don't go to as much as I do on Friday and Saturday.

It depends on how early you can get to the con on Friday (also are you getting your pass on thursday or will you be waiting in line as soon as you get there on friday?) and how late you can stay before leaving. If you can attend for a sufficient amount time on friday, then yes, its worth it.
Yoshi_green

Haneii wrote:

Yoshi_green wrote:

I find Friday more fun than Sunday (there's the Dealers room right when it opens, Nominoichi, Kigarumi Kpop Dance, Anime Hell, outdoor rave, and Karaoke!). I have a feeling I'm just tired by the time Sunday comes along so I don't go to as much as I do on Friday and Saturday.

It depends on how early you can get to the con on Friday (also are you getting your pass on thursday or will you be waiting in line as soon as you get there on friday?) and how late you can stay before leaving. If you can attend for a sufficient amount time on friday, then yes, its worth it.
Okay, that makes sense, since I don't really stay that long on sunday anyways. I'll try to make it for friday, and it should be possible since school ends in late April for me now too :)
Topic Starter
Haneii

Yoshi_green wrote:

school ends in late April for me now too :)
They grow up so fast :O

@people who've decided their look/what they'll wear 12 weeks before the con: If I can't find you and later discover it was because you changed your look, there will be hell to pay :U
YodaSnipe

Haneii wrote:

They grow up so fast :O
Tell me about it. Felt just like yesterday when we weren't among the oldest people playing osu! in Canada and organizing these events- oh wait...
those
Mannnn
YodaSnipe
oh bby
kaetwo

Haneii wrote:

@people who've decided their look/what they'll wear 12 weeks before the con: If I can't find you and later discover it was because you changed your look, there will be hell to pay :U
damn it let me make a reminder to remind me in 12 weeks
Topic Starter
Haneii
Quite a few first timers have approached me with questions about the ongoings of AN and Cons in general. I'll post a bit of my highlights from AN but I was hoping others could post about the events/panels/workshop etc... they enjoyed at AN and would probably recommend.

Last year I went to various panels and some sewing/cosplay workshops. I also enjoyed AN Idol, Cafe Delish, Nominoichi, Karaoke, Kigarumi Kpop dance (Fri + Kigarumi dresscode), JRave (fri), JpopDance (sat), Manga Library, Cafe Nocturne, and caught a bit of the pop idol dance Showcase.

I also spent a lot of time hanging with friends, taking pictures of cosplays, shopping in the dealers room, and popping in and out of the gaming/rhythm games rooms.

Things I've enjoyed at past ANs: The 404s, Evil laughter contest, Anime Name That Tune, Anime Jeopardy, Masquerade skit contest, AMV contest, Yaoi Idol, Anime pictionary, and circus workshops.

I can also post past schedules (however, since they are not the final versions you see in the program book that you get at the con, they're missing a ton T_T)

AN2014

AN2013

AN2012
Topic Starter
Haneii
Con guide from 2013 thread XD Hope its still relevant :P

Anime North 101

Before the convention:

1. Print out all your tickets and confirmations
This includes pre-registration tickets, hotel reservations, moonlight ball tickets etc..

2. Pack your chargers and memory cards
Make sure you have everything you need for your cell phone, iPod, camera, laptops, etc.. Bring your 3DS to rake up hundreds of street passes ;)

3. Wear comfortable shoes
Title says it all. You’ll be doing A LOT of walking. If you’re cosplaying, bring an alternate pair of shoes that you can slip into once your feet start aching.

4. Money!
If possible, stop and get cash BEFORE coming to the convention. You’ll want to avoid ATM’s at the convention. The line-ups are huge D: (heads up: DVD’s and figurines can get pretty expensive so make sure you have enough for all your expenses at the con! This way you won’t have to starve because you couldn’t part without that Axel PVC figure!)

5. Take a comfortable/light bag with you

Have a bag with you to carry all your personal items and, later, your purchases.

6. PACK WATER

STAY HYDRATED! Always have a water bottle on you. You’ll be surrounded by 20K people in hot weather (usually in the high 20’s °C)

7. Pack snacks

Most of the food options near the convention will have long lines. You can spend more time at the con if you pack some of your own snacks.

8. Research your food options before heading to the con

Look up their locations, menu, etc.. Plan where you wish to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

9. Have a look at the convention’s website in advance

Take note of the events/people you don’t want to miss.

10. Once you get it, DON’T FORGET YOUR BADGE.

You’ll need to have this on you at all times. You won’t be allowed into panels, events/activities, or the dealer’s room without it!

11. Plan to show up early for registration

Friday – starts at 1pm
Saturday – starts at 9am
Sunday – starts at 9:30am
If you’ve pre-registered you can also pick up your pass on Thursday between 5pm-9pm

At the convention:

1. DRINK WATER! KEEP HYDRATED!
You should have a water bottle on you. You'll also find water stations set up everywhere around and inside the convention. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE!

2. Read the Con guide
You’ll receive an information booklet with your badge at registration. It’ll contain the con rules and a detailed schedule of events. With a pen or highlighter, mark anything that catches your interest: games, panels, workshops, contests, band performances, dances, autograph sessions, and anime screenings.

3. Be mindful of your (and other’s) cosplay wigs, long trailing bits, and props in crowded spot
s
Try not to jab or hurt anyone with your cosplay and keep a look out yourself. Avoid stepping on someone’s cosplay.

4. Keep checking your phone regularly

You will not hear your phone most of the time! Always check your messages in case someone is trying to get a hold of you!

5. Bus and Transport between Venues
A convention shuttle service will run between the Toronto Congress Center, Doubletree Hotel and the Sheraton Hotel (see pocket program for times). There will be a special shuttle Friday night only to the Marriott Hotel for use by attendees of the Moonlight Ball.

6. Don’t be afraid to split up.
Don’t feel pressured to spend every min with your group of friends. It’s fine to go off to explore on your own or in pairs if you’re part of a large group. No matter how much you and your friends have in common, you won’t all want to do the same thing all of the time!

7. Don't spend the entire time at con doing the same thing.

Don’t just stay in the dealers room shopping or watch anime all day.

8. Take short breaks to do nothing. Just sit back and relax for bit.

9. Don’t wear heavy/thick cosplays or masks at any of the dances.

10. Line up early for big-name events.
Band performances, cosplay/voice/ AMV contests, and awards ceremonies. Get there early to grab a seat!

11. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

Remember to eat, sleep, DRINK WATER, shower, and brush your teeth!
Kitsunemimi
Just thought I'd share a couple thoughts from my experiences. haha, thoughts

The JRave/JPop dance are pretty good ideas. Chances are, if you stick with everyone after the dinner meet up or whatever ends up happening, it'll be the JPop dance after. Or you could go to the parking lot rave if you're into that. I find that in the last two years, the indoor dances have been less about the bass, and had more focus on actual JPop, so take from that what you will.

AN Idol and the 404s are two mainstream recurring events, and you really can't go wrong with these kinds of larger events, so take your pick. Also lots of osu! people also spend a lot of time at Sheraton, primarily for the gaming rooms.

I find that lots of newcomers often spend much of their time at the Dealer's Room - there's a lot to explore, but just be mindful that there may also be some other events worth going to. On the other hand, if you're lost and don't know what to do, Dealer's Room! Or you could try to find some of the other guys at Sheraton.

Haneii pretty much covered all the general tips, but here are some that I think that are most important.
It's a really good idea to look up the schedule on their site and try to plan things you'd like to do before hand. Things don't always go as planned, especially if you're new to this sort of thing, but it helps a ton to have an idea of what things you want to go for.
Make sure you line up super early for the big events, you'll regret it if you don't.
And check your phone. Oh my god for the love of god check your phone. Unless there isn't a single person you know who's attending the event with you, CHECK YOUR PHOne D:
FlamingRok

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Also lots of osu! people also spend a lot of time at Sheraton, primarily for the gaming rooms.
Can attest to this. Also, gaming related, the retro game room has tournaments that you can register for (last year I went for Puzzle League and got third place, not bad I say), and it's with a wide skill level as well. There could be people there who play almost like it's a side-job, and there are others who haven't even played the game before! All ranges of skill are allowed inside of the tournaments, and in the end, they're just for fun.
YTYuyu
guys i sent my payment between the 5th and 9th of January. 2 weeks later deduction went through on the 19th of January.. now it's been over 4 weeks and i still didn't get my confirmation form via email. should i ask further questions about this or do i continue waiting? :?
banger_old_1
If I were you I'd probably email them (registration@animenorth.com) and ask about it. Last time I emailed them about something they responded within the same day.
meiikyuu
hi, i'm coming this year actually. hope to meet you guys haha~
YTYuyu

meiikyuu wrote:

oh dw some of us know :D

thank Jonny for that haha :P
Topic Starter
Haneii

meiikyuu wrote:

Really looking forward to meeting you and LunarSakuya. >w<

@Byakugan249: Did things work out with registration?
YTYuyu
yea it turns out i wrote out the wrong email, i put .com instead of .ca. in the end they sent me another copy and everything is resolved :D
kaetwo
@Byakugan i feel .ca emails are the worst thing that ever happened in canadian history, but glad to hear you got it sorted it c:

I'm planning to order the buttons (just the plain ones) soon, how much should i order?
show more