forum

Anime North 2015

posted
Total Posts
show more
KRZY
Yeah I'm going to this too can't miss Asapon

I probably don't wanna meet up with 50+ people but if you know me and would like to see me feel free to, I'll be there for the whole 3 days

May 22 is my birthday! Same as the Futami twins!
YTYuyu
omg i didn't think you'd be coming KRZY. looking forward to see you there :D
blissfulyoshi
Just some stats for people. I currently have 22 people (including myself) join the Google Hangouts chat. If you want to be invited in, just pm or anyone else on the list to add you to the chat.
those
Didn't get anything from you via email
blissfulyoshi
I added you to the group already those, strange..., going to do a quick test pm.

Edit: Just sent.

Edit 2: If you have any technical issues with Hangouts, please ask immediately, so I can help you resolve it.

Edit 3: Just talked to those, and we resolved his connection issues. Here is his advice: "If you don't see anyone else in the chat, ...you'd have to look through the invite menu to find the invitation" Hopefully that advice helps someone.
Kitsunemimi

Kitsunemimi wrote:

Would anyone prefer to use Skype instead? I'm personally a lot more familiar with the platform and I know a lot of people who do use Skype (rather than Hangouts).
Bump.
Maji
I like skype
blissfulyoshi
Kitsunemimi, I don't know how to use Skype as well, so if you want to use Skype, can you facilitate the group joining of it?

Since some people have been asking how to join the hangouts group, here is a quick guide to accept the invite through the web client.

Guide
1. Click on your name on the left hand profile

2. Click on invites
3. Click on the chat you were invited to

4. A box should open up on the bottom left asking you to accept or ignore, press accept.
banger_old_1

Bok Choi wrote:

I like skype
Topic Starter
Haneii
Anyone want to try Slack out?

- Slack offers one-on-one messaging, private groups, persistent chat rooms, direct messaging as well as group chats organized by topic.
- Unlimited number of users
- Slack provides apps for iOS, Android, and Windows. Slack also provides a Web version accessible from a browser.

I've already started the group. If you'd like to try it out, message me your email and I'll send you an invite. I really like the idea of different set channels (ie: Want to suggest a panel to go to? Let others know what panels others are headed to? Wondering what panels fellow osu! members are currently headed to? Check out #panels!)

pmon
heard of slack, haven't tried. Same with hangouts, haven't used before. Would prefer Skype.
Topic Starter
Haneii
A Skype group will be set up soon, however I'm pretty sure a lot of you here have used it to some extent and are already familiar with it.

I'd appreciate it if people would just check out/try the alternatives (if applicable) and give feedback/comparisons/opinions etc...

I'll put up a poll once we near the end of the month.
LengaJenga
I'm going this year with a few friends, but they don't really play osu :P
Kitsunemimi
Oh god the CSC301 vibes.

I actually quite like slack, but there are a couple of problems with using it.
First of all, even though it's essentially just a web-based IRC client, it really has this dev-team connotation associated with it. That is, they focus on things like GitHub integration and those sorts of things, and if anything, it just feels off using it as event group coordination.
Second, I'm fairly certain that pretty much nobody else in this group will have had used Slack, and one of the main reasons why I suggested to use something different from Hangouts is to find something that more people are familiar with. The more people you have that aren't familiar with your platform, the more people will have to go out of their way to download and set up a new service, and the more hassle there will be.
And also, there still isn't any good app for Slack on Windows Phone.

That being said, if you open a vote and everyone agrees that they want to go with Slack, then I'm all for it.
blissfulyoshi
Well with Slack, we can integrate it with a ticketing system, so you can assign tasks like group buyers, paying people back, and transportation. In this way you can create the most efficient group outing you can manage. /me shot

In all seriousness, while no one has used Slack, we all have used osu!'s irc system, so thought process wise, it is not a big jump. The only real downside I see is its windows phone support.

On the other hand, about Skype, tbh, I don't use it much. The only reason I have it on my phone is because Byaku convinced last year to use it, and nothing happened. Currently, there is only 1 person I use it to talk to, incredibly rarely, so I'm probably going to uninstall it if we are not using it here. Okay, getting a bit off topic, but I'm saying regardless of which pogram we use, someone will have to use a program unfamiliar to them. I use Hangouts for all my irl communication, but I know that is just me.

Well we still have 4-5 weeks before this convention, so we still have time to test and get people onboard.

Edit: Forgot to say, since so few people actually read the read the thread, it is better to just send out invites for now. It is much easier to talk on those platforms than on the forums. We can have people test how much they like each platform and then consolidate.
Skyhmer
Poked around in slack this morning and I found it very useful considering the examples bliss listed
I've used Skype for 3 years but slack could really be more effective in this case.
Toke
Tickets have been bought, I will be going on friday and sunday. Looking forward to meeting friends c:
Kitsunemimi
Oh right I forgot to say something about this.

Someone should probably make a poll here for whichever chat we should be using before things get too crazy.
So far it's Hangouts, Skype, or Slack, right? No Whatsapp... right?
blissfulyoshi
Yeah.... no one in our group seems to be vocal about their experience with Whatapp..... strange. oh well. Only 3.

And Gleipnir, sorry if you misread my post. The first paragraph was a joke for developers reading the post since I am way too lazy to make and maintain a ticket board for a con (admittedly if someone is willing to do most of the work, I don't mind helping slightly.)
Skyhmer

blissfulyoshi wrote:

Yeah.... no one in our group seems to be vocal about their experience with Whatapp..... strange. oh well. Only 3.

And Gleipnir, sorry if you misread my post. The first paragraph was a joke for developers reading the post since I am way too lazy to make and maintain a ticket board for a con (admittedly if someone is willing to do most of the work, I don't mind helping slightly.)
Well thats embarrassing ._.
Ciao
Planning on coming Friday/Sunday : D
captin1
i'd vote for skype, seems like the simplest option to me and i use it the most
-Soba-
I use slack at work, it's pretty great
blissfulyoshi
As I said earlier, we are using this time to test things. Since I don't have much experience with Skype, someone else has to set up the group and invite everyone if we are ever planning to make the Skype group happen.
Skyhmer

blissfulyoshi wrote:

As I said earlier, we are using this time to test things. Since I don't have much experience with Skype, someone else has to set up the group and invite everyone if we are ever planning to make the Skype group happen.
I could easily do this unless someone would rather do it. I use skype daily so keeping a group running is a usual for me.
those
Then do it, and whoever you invite should invite everyone they know. Take initiative pls ok
Skyhmer
Alright then, Just wanted people to be aware first.
People can just message me their Skype or add kingsly.irehovbude on Skype so I can invite them to the group.
I'll need at least 2 people other then me before the group can actually be created.
Kitsunemimi
Not sure if that many people will see that post but I guess an official announcement can be made in the OP when the time comes.
Speaking of which, I still really think we should get a vote started.

By the way, for Skype, it can be a bit of a hassle with lots of people in a single group, so what you should be able to do (I think) is turn off push notifications for specific chats in all of the mobile apps. Then again, I think Skype has the worst apps of all of the chat services that we've covered so far, so that is a small downside to it.
For the PC, you can change notification settings and even use highlights if you go to Conversation > Notification Settings, from the menu bar up top. The dialog should look like this.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Skype highlights match within words, rather than whole words, so in my example, pretty much all of the highlights except for the first two end up being redundant. The same is not true for Slack, to my knowledge.
mits
I probably didn't read something, though where exactly will the meetup take place?

Would be pretty efficient if it were at Sheraton, haha.
Maji
There's no planned place as of now, but last year we met up at Sheraton then went elsewhere from there.
Bzer
im coming on sunday! RIP me missed saturday tickets ;_____;
KRZY
Anyone who's coming from the Boston area? And/Or anyone who's going to be there on Thursday?
YTYuyu

KRZY wrote:

Anyone who's coming from the Boston area? And/Or anyone who's going to be there on Thursday?
i'll be there. idk about the others :(
Topic Starter
Haneii
Finally caught up on updating this thread. I've tried to add all the new attendees that posted on the last couple of pages. Please post or message me if you don't see your name there. It's important that your name is up there so we know who to send pms to with con/meet-up information

Also added the poll. Please vote!

[If you haven't been added to a communication group (ie: hangouts, skype, or slack) and you would like to, post in the thread and someone here will pm you requesting your email/skype name and add you to the group]
TrickMirror
Don't have a ticket, but I wouldn't mind popping up and saying hello if people want to meet anywhere I don't need one.
oOFrostOo
Just bought a sunday ticket,

might buy one for friday if my school board strikes
uzzi

oOFrostOo wrote:

might buy one for friday if my school board strikes
Yo that's almost the whole Uzzibola squad!!~!@
oOFrostOo

- [ U z z I ] - wrote:

oOFrostOo wrote: