forum

Rank Join.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +107
Topic Starter
lehmakari
Example : Only rank # 199,999 below is allowed
Custom rank
this can be turn on and off

You guys dont get it.? uhh.. Example i created a GAME IN MULTIPLAYER If i enabled rank join This can be editable....
deadbeat
is this for multiplayer?
Sea_Food

deadbeat wrote:

is this for multiplayer?
No i think he means that peppy should have a feature that for example only people who are rank 100k or better are allowed to play single or multi. The game would be locked for others. What do you think is it for MP or not?

But yeah this actually sounds like a good idea. Filtering people from up and down so that games are more fair. But honestly since rank is subjective to others and pp2 is objective, i think it should be based on pp instead of rank. Or maybe have option for both if the host cant visualize other.
Deimos

Sea_Food wrote:

deadbeat wrote:

is this for multiplayer?
No i think he means that peppy should have a feature that for example only people who are rank 100k or better are allowed to play single or multi. The game would be locked for others. What do you think is it for MP or not?
How does it even make sense?

How do you want to get better if you are not allowed to play single or multi.

As deadbeat menitioned:

Create a multiplayer lobby and add a requirement like: only #5.000 or better are allowed to join the lobby
Topic Starter
lehmakari
Yes it is for multiplayer
Bladesu
I actually thought about the same thing for a while...
Charize
Really don't like this idea. Actual skill is often not accurate to rank or PP.
I get PP because i really push for full combo on songs. But if i played many different songs without really beating down for full combo I would not have nearly the same PP. Aswell as those who "PP farm" with double time hard maps can get alot more than other players of the same skill.

Are you then saying the farming player has to play on servers with more skilled players or make his own server. Unecessary :/
Put the difficulity of maps you play in the lobby name and let players decide their skill by them selves.
You can always kick or just make him play with mods as a handicap.

It could some more detailed stats as to the recommended rank based on the players in it. Like average or median value. Now you basically only see lowest and highest. Which could be inacurate.
Yukiteru Amano
I would love this option! :)
Golterboose
Would be a good option, but what if i want to play with the pro players in ctb XD
Bara-

Zenmetsu wrote:

Would be a good option, but what if i want to play with the pro players in ctb XD
Ask Yukiteru Amano

I like this.
I hate it when I'm playing taiko, and a low rank comes in (5 k is low for me), and can't keep up with it, and then starts complaining about the map
Flanster
I guess it can be useful to filter higher ranked players not to overpower the rest. Sure.
FrzR
Would be great. +1 :D
Lach
Oh man, I can see it now.

Game name: SNOW WHITE BATTLE ME
Minimum rank: #1

Forever empty room. I suppose if this were added a measure could be taken to prevent people setting the minimum rank above their own, but I still don't think this is a very good idea. If someone is having trouble they should perhaps try finding another room with players around their skill level instead.
haha5957
looks ok for me

some obviously use multi to kinda compete random others and those kind of people will not want to compete #100 when you're #10000 because they most likely are gonna lose.

if this can't be room specific making this as a channel (some other games, say like ~#300000, ~#100000, ~#50000, ~#20000, ~#5000, #4999+ and etc) should also work too imo

a person with #8000 making room "#7999 or below only" looks little stupid but can be prevented anyways.

and if you think you have undeserving rank in either lower/higher way you are somehow wrong. you being #7800 doesnt mean you are better than #7801 or #7802 but you probably are better than #12000.
Pawsu
like loliflan said, as long as it doesn't overpower it...
some dude wants to play harder maps, but all the rooms are ranks lower than him, and he isn't able to join! that'd be really...uh, upsetting, i guess
Karuta-_old_1

haha5957 wrote:

looks ok for me

and if you think you have undeserving rank in either lower/higher way you are somehow wrong. you being #7800 doesnt mean you are better than #7801 or #7802 but you probably are better than #12000.
no, I am rank 5k and I can't beat some of the 20k out there
Ethelon
Sure rank doesn't precisely pinpoint how skilled you are at any given time, but having default rank categories gets closer.

You don't have to give the player the option of setting the rank requirement.
In application you'd be setting a category based on the following default minimum requirements (arbitrary numbers):
#250,000+
#250,000
#100,000
#50,000
#25,000

(I'm not going any lower because I assume that there are much less players at these ranks randomly looking for multiplayer games outside of friend groups)
You could also allow players to set boundaries between requirements to exclude higher ranked players.

There could be the argument that this would fragment areas of the community in multiplayer, but I think it allows for a better overall gameplay experience.
And to be honest, there have been plenty of times when a #250K+ player joins a game with a bunch of under #10K players (or being generous, #50K) and makes the group wait (because we're not mean) only to quit immediately. This will help new players find games they can actually play in.

The point isn't to display superiority, but rather to facilitate a better gameplay experience.
Green Platinum
Could I make a lobby that only allows 40ks and above. I hate it when people beat me in mp.
shioty
Nice app my friend :D
Topic Starter
lehmakari
Thanks
Seijiro
Let's start with saying that this is a very good idea. Sometimes it could be really annoying to be overhelmed or to overhelm others in mp.

CanadianPaws wrote:

like loliflan said, as long as it doesn't overpower it...
some dude wants to play harder maps, but all the rooms are ranks lower than him, and he isn't able to join! that'd be really...uh, upsetting, i guess
We're talking only about join boundaries, not map selection boundaries ;)
Nobody says you can't play a certain map/difficulty in a rank restrictive mp room

We could also exclude friends from this boundary maybe. I mean, mp rooms should be fun and as long as there are only friends in the room it should be easy to make a compromise. (Obviously invites should follow the same rule imo)

Nothing else to add here, since the rest was already suggested :3
Dazdy_old
Imo, I don't disagree with you but it'd be nice to have the thread name changed to something more understandable.
Karuta-_old_1
please let some 200k ranks play 5 stars songs and not implement this
Topic Starter
lehmakari
up
Deimos

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

and then? the host is still able to kick them
Topic Starter
lehmakari

Zenmetsu wrote:

then turn it off

READ THE POST CAREFULLY

"MAY MAPOST LANG EH"
Fluke
I think this sounds great.
I'm currently at #58k, too much of a nice guy to kick people out of my games, and don't really care too much about whether I win or lose, though it's more fun with a close match.
Implementing this would be a "nicer" way of hindering people utterly destroying small fry like me.

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

200k ranks could play 5* songs, and they could prevent, say, people below #200k from entering their room, making it a more fair fight.
Seynn

lehmakari wrote:

Zenmetsu wrote:

then turn it off

READ THE POST CAREFULLY

"MAY MAPOST LANG EH"
Or just make multiplayer invitations bypass the restriction. Oh yeah, you should add that onto the thread post.
Fluke
For everyone that fails to understand the concept:

What he wants (unless I'm horribly mistaken), is an option* to set a filter to ranks, preventing those over or under chosen rank to enter your game, thus getting a more effective way of keeping your own game leveled than kicking everyone under/over the rank you wish to play against. A rank you have chosen before hand. (After reading through the comments, I feel I kinda need to be that specific and repeating)

*An option means it is optional. As in you can choose whether you want to use it or not.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
Karuta-_old_1
Or just make multiplayer invitations bypass the restriction. Oh yeah, you should add that onto the thread post.
Seynn I love you

Kjodiz wrote:

I'm currently at #58k, too much of a nice guy to kick people out of my games, and don't really care too much about whether I win or lose, though it's more fun with a close match.
Implementing this would be a "nicer" way of hindering people utterly destroying small fry like me.
The best way to improve in any games is to challenge yourself
The reason you are playing is because you like the game and want to be better at it.
I really respect SapphireGhost for his reminder to tell ourselves to focus on improving on skills and not comparing with other people (but boy is it hard)

Games that weights rank/win:lose ratio too heavily probably poisoned most people out there
There are alot of games where people would just leave/kick you if you are a lot better than they are
and in some games like cs:go and LoL kick you for being too much of a newbie

But not on osu! most people are still nice with me being a 6k and waltzing into a 100k room

Winning and Losing probably only matters when it is official, other than that I don't see why we need to implement restrictions
P.S. Firetruck this option
Seynn

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

Winning and Losing probably only matters when it is official, other than that I don't see why we need to implement restrictions
P.S. Firetruck this option

I agree with what yummy said. Personally when a rank 1000- or w/e, joins my room, I feel honored rather than annoyed or displeased. (Oh, and a high rank joining a room motivates me to play better, at least while he's in there)
Fluke

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

The reason you are playing is because you like the game and want to be better at it.
Of course. But for example:
When I host rooms, I like to rotate hosts, making me lose all control over anything that goes on.
It's awesome for a while. Tons of new songs to practice in my library, until the <10k's start filling the room, and start putting on 6+* maps..
I might as well play The Big Black blindfolded, because those maps are way out of my league.
The same way a 5* and 4* are way out of lower rank players' league.

It's fun with a challenge, but when you just know that you have absolutely no chance on even completing the map, it sucks all the fun out of it.
At least that's my opinion.
Yuudachi-kun
I like the idea, but it's sadly useless for me bceause there are rare occasions I forget to set a room password and have unwanted people in them.

Oh hey, we're all playing 5 star songs and some random 70k comes in, takes forever to download a map, then leaves. Wait, I have a room password for a reason. And forced start.
L Hime
I'm all for this as long as it's optional weither you want to use the "rank barrier" or not, I play a lot with friends who're significantly less rank than me. Maybe the option could be "only for equaly skilled players." That makes it so that only players 50% higher or lower than you can see the lobby.

Basically if you're rank 50k and use this option anyone inbetween rank 25k-75k could join the game. Ofcourse as you climb in rank this gap would get smaller.

Rank 10k = 15k-5k
Yuudachi-kun
The skill gap between ranks also gets higher the lower you go.
Topic Starter
lehmakari

lehmakari wrote:

Example : Only rank # 199,999 below is allowed
Custom rank
this can be turn on and off

You guys dont get it.? uhh.. Example i created a GAME IN MULTIPLAYER If i enabled rank join This can be editable....

upup
Mahogany

[MY] yummy90 XP wrote:

But at the same time don't go overboard with challenging yourself. Someone at rank 200k won't learn anything from playing a 5-star map because they're probably desperately flailing their mouse/pen around and mashing the keyboard trying to keep up because they don't have the necessary speed developed. The only thing they'll learn is bad habits.

I don't play multi often but when I do I usually see quite a few people playing incredibly difficult maps (Freedom Dive, Scarlet Rose, Big Black) without the sort of ranks to back them up. Maybe they just wanna play through the song and don't know that nofail exists >_>
Karuta-_old_1

Mahoganytooth wrote:

I don't play multi often but when I do I usually see quite a few people playing incredibly difficult maps (Freedom Dive, Scarlet Rose, Big Black) without the sort of ranks to back them up. Maybe they just wanna play through the song and don't know that nofail exists >_>
Actually that's the problem, it is usually the lower ranks (less than 20k) that are picking songs that are considered "hard" for most people and end up getting barely 50% accuracy

something like Calamity Fortune, Omega Rhythm and etc

that's some people's way of having fun/troll/ or (I picked this because a high ranked guy is here) but like Kjodiz said it makes it pointless to keep on playing, and lower ranks would leave

I will 100% chicken out if you play freedom dive 4D so it is not just for lower ranked players (cause I just can't dive into freedom)

I'd always stick to the room's level cause there is no point for people their ranks to play beatmap around my rank (but I get feedback from playing 2009-ish songs) , and I would only pick higher difficulty songs when the room prefers it
show more