forum

it's hard being an otaku lets face it

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
userunkown_old
This might not apply to everyone but even before I was an otaku my life was a little bad but sometimes I think when I became one it just became a little worse
-Nya-
Why do you say that?
Are you getting less social?
AnotherEpicName
I'ld say on the contrary
you got some stuff to talk about with people that are like-minded
-Nya-
@AnotherEpicName: Yeah, I agree. It's fun to talk about anime with other anime-lovers.
Gumpy

-Nya- wrote:

Are you getting less social?
I got more social
AJ-FreakS
it's hard being a weeaboo lets face it
-Nya-
@Gumpyyy: I think I got more social as well, and less shy.
Topic Starter
userunkown_old
I've gotten more social I think but people just stay away from me just because I'm an otaku
Bladesu

userunkown wrote:

I've gotten more social I think but people just stay away from me just because I'm an otaku
Those people are probably stupid and/or ignorant...
Nathan

RMaltsaar wrote:

userunkown wrote:

Those people are probably stupid and/or ignorant...
Navizel

AJ-FreakS wrote:

:^)
Athrun

AJ-FreakS wrote:

Yonpachi_old

AJ-FreakS wrote:

benjanyan
-
Granger
Well, if being a weeaboo is hard because others think you're weird then stop being a weeaboo, and use the normal words of your language when you talk.
Otaku > Weeaboo
Renevant
Well, when I first watched anime, I had a shock moment where I idolized a character from a series, thinking that acting like the main male heroine will make a girl like that show up in my life (i was like 14 at the time). Ended up being really weird and somewhat isolated for a week cause that character didn't start showing up and suddenly fall in love with me. I got over it though as i watched more anime.
whymeman
Well, anime can be an "odd thing" to talk about with some people, but it doesn't mean that being an Otaku makes life that much more harder all the time. There's usually a way to work things out if you try. If you watch I Can t Understand What My Husband Is Saying (yes that's the title), you can see that the main characters are total opposites, but still work together. Although anime may be just anime for some, I feel they still take at least a small fraction of something from reality and expand it into something interesting that can feel real and not real at the same time.
Topic Starter
userunkown_old

whymeman wrote:

Well, anime can be an "odd thing" to talk about with some people, but it doesn't mean that being an Otaku makes life that much more harder all the time. There's usually a way to work things out if you try. If you watch I Can t Understand What My Husband Is Saying (yes that's the title), you can see that the main characters are total opposites, but still work together. Although anime may be just anime for some, I feel they still take at least a small fraction of something from reality and expand it into something interesting that can feel real and not real at the same time.
yeh i watched and I kind of felt like i could relate to hajime
AnotherEpicName
the only hard thing about being an otaku is keeping the addiction satisfied
dem holidays where every series suddenly stops airing for a week or 2
Green Platinum

AnotherEpicName wrote:

the only hard thing about being an otaku is keeping the addiction satisfied
dem holidays where every series suddenly stops airing for a week or 2
What are you talking about this is when you work on your backlog.
Ironsoul27
It wouldnt surprise me if the ppl who say they got less social were actually acting 'chunibyou'
Green Platinum

Ironsoul27 wrote:

It wouldnt surprise me if the ppl who say they got less social were actually acting 'chunibyou'
Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't social in the first place and just got older and more aware.
Mogsy
"it's hard being an otaku"

how about just letting a hobby be a hobby and not a lifestyle
Sophia
The only hard part about being an otaku is not being able to show my new hobby to my friends because even though it's a TV show or a book like the ones they watch, just animated, they'll say it's just a random cartoon for kids and that I should stop watching hentai/DBZ while refusing to listen to anything else.

EDIT : And don't get me started on the music, they'd be willing to listen to all the vocaloid/utaite songs if they were just translated to english but refuse to listen to it in japanese, even though most of them don't understand neither of the languages.
Mogsy

Dm1321 wrote:

The only hard part about being an otaku is not being able to show my new hobby to my friends because even though it's a TV show or a book like the ones they watch, just animated, they'll say it's just a random cartoon for kids and that I should stop watching hentai/DBZ while refusing to listen to anything else.

EDIT : And don't get me started on the music, they'd be willing to listen to all the vocaloid/utaite songs if they were just translated to english but refuse to listen to it in japanese, even though most of them don't understand neither of the languages.
In terms of introducing someone to anime, you have to think of the stuff they already like, as anime is a medium and not just a genre. It's partly dispelling the notion that all anime is the same by showing them a variety of things similar to what they like that isn't heavily entrenched in the otaku tropes that you may be used to, but they certainly aren't.

Their closedmindedness towards an entire medium of media is their problem, but you do have to be wary of introducing this stuff to someone.

As far as the music thing is concerned? Really don't go there. In fact, much of typical j-pop production is much more different than typical Western pop production, and let's just say that how overly busy Japanese production tends to be is an acquired taste.

There's honestly nothing really "hard" about liking anime/manga/whatnot. There's something "hard" about being obsessed to the point where you take it on as an identity, but that's where you stop and realize your obsessions don't define you as a person.
ztrot
it took me weeks to get my younger cousin to finally pick up a anime and, I had to cater to what he enjoys in a show and it ended up being hellsing ultimate
Mogsy
Well, yeah, you have to start somewhere. Once they sit through a handful of shows, they'll usually start to be more open-minded and will expand their tastes. I was the same way, and I've gotten a few people into anime through other gateway titles (Bebop, Hellsing, FMA, etc.). It can be a struggle but if they like what they see, then it's worth it in the end.
Green Platinum

Mogsworth wrote:

Well, yeah, you have to start somewhere. Once they sit through a handful of shows, they'll usually start to be more open-minded and will expand their tastes. I was the same way, and I've gotten a few people into anime through other gateway titles (Bebop, Hellsing, FMA, etc.). It can be a struggle but if they like what they see, then it's worth it in the end.
Exactly this, I've sorted my own physical anime collection so there is a section of stuff that is good for beginners as well as another section that I classify as special consideration of course it's all to the individuals discretion as to what they want to borrow.
Kyonko Hizara
From when I was 3 till I was like 10 I really only watched the more popular series like Eureka 7, FMA, and Cowboy Bebop and then when I got online more than I should have I started experimenting with everything till I found the genres that I'm more into. I get asked by people all the time now with stuff that I recommend. I've even gotten quite a few people into anime.

Now my life consists of watching too many series and hunting for figures. Maybe not the best hobby to have but it keeps me happy so shit.