forum

How long it is to get used to mech kb?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Frc
Well, today i received my new mech kb (CM Storm Quickfire TK Brown, because there are no Reds in Spain, or at least i couldn´t find anyone), and after playing osu with it about an hour, i figured out i´m not even able to pass maps because it randomly starts to miss/100/50. I think it´s related to the keyboard because my aim and rhythm are in usual levels. I´ve heard this type of keyboard don´t need to press the key completely for registering it, and i´m used to a rubberdome, so when i play i don´t know how to do that, it gets worse at alternating of course, because if i press the key all the way, i think it happens something like this: Press> It registers halfway>(delay)>I end pressing the button, and that delay makes me fail, also when i press the key all the way i run out of stamina after 5 minutes playing. And i´m not sure, but i don´t think "playing more" will magically make me learn to play hitting the notes only half way properly because i don´t even know how to hit the notes half way, i´ve tried hard but i can´t stream without pressing the key all the way.
So i guess there is a period of getting used to this kind of keyboards, but if anyone who uses browns can give me some advice, it would be awesome.

Thanks
Gumica
ಠ_ಠ Play more.

It will feel better after a few hours/days. It's like if you'd buy a new tablet or a new mouse; It takes a bit of time to get used to the new peripheral.
And the delay isn't making you fail, it's probably just your speed. If you just went from a rubber dome keyboard (that uses USB) to a QuickFire TK, you might want to know that TK's have 1000Hz polling rate, meaning the time your computer needs to register your key press is 1ms. Cheap keyboards usually have 8ms delay => therefore, you are pressing the key faster then what you might be used to.
Topic Starter
Frc

Gumica wrote:

ಠ_ಠ Play more.

It will feel better after a few hours/days. It's like if you'd buy a new tablet or a new mouse; It takes a bit of time to get used to the new peripheral.
And the delay isn't making you fail, it's probably just your speed. If you just went from a rubber dome keyboard (that uses USB) to a QuickFire TK, you might want to know that TK's have 1000Hz polling rate, meaning the time your computer needs to register your key press is 1ms. Cheap keyboards usually have 8ms delay => therefore, you are pressing the key faster then what you might be used to.
And you think playing more will solve this?
xasuma
It felt better instantly. The first time I hit the key it felt amazing. And it still does.
I never had to get used to it. lol
Vuelo Eluko

FrcV wrote:

Gumica wrote:

ಠ_ಠ Play more.

And you think playing more will solve this?
Obviously.
Gumpy

Gumica wrote:

ಠ_ಠ Play more.

xasuma wrote:

It felt better instantly. The first time I hit the key it felt amazing. And it still does.
I Give Up
It varies between person to person. Took me about two weeks to get as good on a mech as I am with scissor and rubberdome.
George Lopez
Took maybe 2 hours. On my old keyboard i actually had to press the buttons. Now i can just barely press them and it will press them 3 times.
deletemyaccount
Make sure you bottom out the keys. Just because the switches actuate halfway, doesn't mean you only have to press them halfway.
Rio-
idk... i think 2-3 days should suffice if You played osu! using Membrane or dome keyboard before
*well I'm using membrane kb atm, but I used a mech kb borrowed from a friend once.

It's faster to get used with new keyboard rather than get used with new mouse or tablet
Deathripi
But I thought mechanical keyboard = winstant. :(
Topic Starter
Frc

Deathripi wrote:

But I thought mechanical keyboard = winstant. :(

It isn´t lol, by the moment i can´t even stream because when i try to press the keys it just refuses to do like the rubberdome.
B1rd
it took me around half a year.
Kouya-
I got a Razor BlackWidow Stealth in my PO Box for Christmas from a friend .

I tried and tried for 2 days straight .

I never got into it xD
dung eater
short streams and singletapping almost instantly, long streams there's no feel to tapping on blacks like there was on membranes ,_,
shuai8297
I bought some cherry MX blues, took me about a two nights of playing to really get the hang of them. I'd suggest still bottoming out on single taps, alot easier that way, espacially with browns or reds.
Topic Starter
Frc
Well, after two days i feel singletapping weird (and stupidly difficult) because the key is too heavy, and when it comes to stream, well... if i try to stream the way i did in the rubberdome (separate the fingers in each keystroke) it´s completely useless, and if i try to stream without separating the fingers from the keys, i only get random shit (not 300 that´s for sure) and i don´t even feel im streaming correctly, because a lot of times when i try to zxzxzx it just does zxzxxz or even the middle finger don´t press the z and its zxxxzx and that´s a completely disaster.
-sev
Thanks for the heads up friend the suspense was killing me.
FrzR

xasuma wrote:

It felt better instantly. The first time I the key it felt amazing. And it still does.
I never had to get used to it. lol
My first time with blues since I haven't tried others yet lol