forum

How to improve at 5K, 6K, 7K, and 8K?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DanSparce
Hi guys! I have been playing osu!mania for like half a year (I'm fairly new) and I managed to increase my rank to about 1200 by just playing on average 2 to 3 days a week but I play pure 4K. My hands doesn't seen to like the other key numbers and I want to increase my rank to about 900. Can anyone suggest any practice maps/tips/suggestions on how to improve at other key numbers? Thanks!!!
Tornspirit
Unfortunately the easiest way to improve at higher keycounts is to start out with those keycounts. Now that you're used to 4k you'll probably have to slog through songs which are technically much easier than what you're currently playing.

On the bright side you get the satisfaction of breaking through skill walls constantly.

Because of the abundance of 7k maps here, I'd recommend just playing as much ranked 7k as possible; 5k and 6k come fairly naturally after you play 7k. Most 8k songs are just 7 keys + a scratch; if you play 7k, this isn't too hard to get used to after a bit.
Bobbias
Yeah. I made the transition from 4k to 7k years ago when I switched from stepmania to o2jam. It was a real pain for a while, but some of that was because I was also switching from upscroll (stepmania) to downscroll (o2jam) at the same time. I had no experience with 5k or 7k until mania came out, but since I can play 7k they're not too hard to get used to. I'm still not as good at 5k or 6k as I am at 7k now, but it's been a lot easier for me to switch to lower keys than it was to learn 7k originally. If you decide to play 7k as Tornspirit suggests, treat it like a separate game. Don't expect to be any good at it immediately. It takes a lot more coordination to play higher key modes, rather than the speed and stamina that 4k generally require.

Also, there's a thread about improving at osumania, there's really no reason to post a new thread about it.
ikzune
personally i found the easiest way to transition in keymodes being start with entozers training section early on if your finger independence is terrible then move to autoconverts untill finger independence starts to properly develop after that i moved onto o2jam cconverts and then bms converts, after autoconverts and some ranked stuff i still find that you need some time with more dense patterns before moving to bms
Topic Starter
DanSparce
I could actually easily S those maps below 2.75 and could tolerate as much as 3.25 but that isn't enough to like raise my pp. :'( oh well. More practice!
Starry-
Honestly when you're training another keymode up, looking at pp will just demotivate you. In order to train that keymode you need to play to improve, and that may or may not be a different mindset to what you're used to. Just keep trying and practicing and eventually you'll get there. :)
Pinecone
Keeep practicing. Learning first time is the only hard part.
Bobbias

DanSparce wrote:

I could actually easily S those maps below 2.75 and could tolerate as much as 3.25 but that isn't enough to like raise my pp. :'( oh well. More practice!

Bobbias wrote:

If you decide to play 7k as Tornspirit suggests, treat it like a separate game.
You'd need to get roughly 90+pp for a score to even give you +1 pp right now. I'm not sure what sort of star rating you need to play to get that kind of PP, but probably somewhere in the realm of 4+ for a decent score to get you any increase in PP. If you want a significant increase, you'll need to get good scores on stuff in the 4.5+ range (and by good scores I mean high A's or S's).

If you stop concentrating on PP and just focus on enjoying yourself and improving, you should find the transition less annoying.