thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Explosive Fart
Lol same
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Shop is back up! Everything is available except for some keypop keycaps which I plan on restocking on within the week. The code with the escape cooldown (to fix multiple presses being registered) is being used for all new models and will be available on the reprogramming pages of the v2.1 and RGB by the end of the day.
DiSSneyVACation
For those who still have problems with the double sided tape/ sliding: http://i.imgur.com/15Dt0Vm.jpg
I needed something like a wristrest, so i came up with this.
Its easy to make and you dont really need anything other than a slightly more robust cardboard and glue :).
In theory it would slide too, but the weight of the hand and wrist prevents that.

Edith: I screwed the screws of the keypad through the cardboard, but you can obviously stick the doublesided tape on it too
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Just a small update.

The basic and basic+ models are still available (about 5 left in stock.) After they're gone, the shop will be down again for a few days as I'm working hard to get a helper, which means I should be able to handle a lot more orders without the shop going down for a few days every week.

The RGB model is going to be slightly revised. The microcontroller is being changed from the Teensy LC to Pro Micro, similar to the v2 to v2.1. I'm using different LEDs that use a data connection instead of individual R, G, and B connections for each LED, so the number of PWM pins require went from 6 to 1. There's no feature differences between the two or even any noticeable physical changes (except micro-USB type A to the more-used type B, both of which are compatible with a micro B cable.) They should be back up by the end of next week or Monday the 20th.

There's probably something else I'm forgetting, so I'll edit this later if I remember :P
ZenithPhantasm
@thnikk Do you know a site where I can buy single Gateron Clear switches?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I know of Zeal PC but shipping will bring you up to almost half the price of the bag of 120 on amazon. I know there's another site and I'll try to remember.

Edit: Oh yeah, me if you have paypal and don't want too many since I'm running pretty low. My new batch doesn't come in until August and I only have ~24 left, so it's fine if you only want 2-4. PM me if you're interested.
ZenithPhantasm

Thnikk wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I know of Zeal PC but shipping will bring you up to almost half the price of the bag of 120 on amazon. I know there's another site and I'll try to remember.

Edit: Oh yeah, me if you have paypal and don't want too many since I'm running pretty low. My new batch doesn't come in until August and I only have ~24 left, so it's fine if you only want 2-4. PM me if you're interested.
How much would 4 switches cost with shipping?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

How much would 4 switches cost with shipping?
I'd say $5 sounds fair.
ZenithPhantasm
Hmmmm are you willing to sell other switches as well?
I need PCB versions of:
2x of MX Browns, Clears (MX Clears), Blacks, Greens, and Greys as well as the 4x Gateron Clears mentioned above. How much would it cost?
Also do you know where I can purchase transparent non frosted polycarbonate keycaps for R4?
Yuudachi-kun
Thnikk I love you.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I need PCB versions of:
2x of MX Browns, Clears (MX Clears), Blacks, Greens, and Greys as well as the 4x Gateron Clears mentioned above. How much would it cost?
Also do you know where I can purchase transparent non frosted polycarbonate keycaps for R4?
The only other ones I actually have on hand are the blacks. I'm not really planning on getting any more of the rest. If you wanted just the 6 I'd make it $6.

[keycaps] You might want to check their row guide in the description first, though.

Khelly wrote:

Thnikk I love you.
thank you :oops:
The Gambler

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

I need PCB versions of:
I'd check out these sites. I'm planning to resurrect an old, broken CM rapid so I've been digging online quite a lot.

http://www.digikey.com/
http://www.mechkb.com/
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/
https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?lang=en

For more keyboard stuff you might also want to check out geekhack and deskthority.
Parity
The store page seems to be down... says, unavailable.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Fiad wrote:

The store page seems to be down... says, unavailable.
Yeah, it'll be down until next Monday or Tuesday while I wait for parts to come in. I've updated the OP since it's not very clear to people who are looking at the thread quickly.
DEAR SPARK
Topic Starter
Thnikk
7/21 Update
Everything is back up on the shop except for the RGB model, which I'm waiting on for more parts as well as some bug fixes and internal alterations to make things easier. It should be back up by Thursday or Friday.

Terran SCV wrote:

Bought a keypad (Tomoko Kuroki, account was closed cause I forgot this original one existed lol), and I'm absolutely loving it. I put in a review under the name 박지수 on Etsy. Very great product.
Thanks a lot for the review and I'm happy you like it so much! Thanks also for, despite your disposition, giving the tape a fair shake.
ChokeMeister

Thnikk wrote:

Shizuyi wrote:

What about Basic and BAsic +? WHat makes em worse than RGB or v2.1?
The 125hz polling rate instead of the 1000hz found on the RGB and v2.1. Other than that, no backlighting and no escape button on the basic.
Will the 125hz polling rate make a difference on accuracy while playing osu? Especially for OD 10
Explosive Fart
i got it but i dont have any keys...
Explosive Fart
keyswitches i mean
ZenithPhantasm
A little something I made with a little help from thnikk

Going clockwise from top left: MX Reds with Gateron stems, MX Blues, MX Gateron Skyblues (custom switch :) ), Gateron Clears, and MX Blacks.
All of the switches uses Cherry's contacts, not Gateron's
I do not plan to sell these
Topic Starter
Thnikk

CoalMiner107 wrote:

Will the 125hz polling rate make a difference on accuracy while playing osu? Especially for OD 10
It does make a difference but I'm not sure when it comes into play. I think it's been mentioned in the thread if you want to look back a few pages.

thebeastbloc wrote:

keyswitches i mean
I think you mean keycaps. No keyswitches would look like this:

This is because you selected "none" as your keycaps.

You can buy them through my shop (though shipping will be expensive,) or try to get them from someone in your country. I'm not familiar with sellers in Australia but you can check out the wiki on the mechanical keyboards subreddit or ask there if you don't find anything.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

A little something I made with a little help from thnikk

Going clockwise from top left: MX Reds with Gateron stems, MX Blues, MX Gateron Skyblues (custom switch :) ), Gateron Clears, and MX Blacks.
All of the switches uses Cherry's contacts, not Gateron's
I do not plan to sell these
Glad I could help ;)
[Aiko]
[deleted]
Topic Starter
Thnikk
The RGB model went back up about an hour ago. This is a new revision which I'm differentiating with the (1.1) in the title for people who want to reprogram their keypad. Here are the changes:

-The LEDs have been changed from regular SMD 5050 RGB LEDs to WS2812B. The originals I was using used 3 pins per led, each to control an individual RGB value. The new ones use one pin for data across both LEDs, reducing the require PWM outputs of the microcontroller from 6 to 1. The new LEDs also look a little bit better, producing whiter whites than before.

-The microcontroller has been changed from the Teensy LC to Pro Micro. Since the required PWM pins decreased, there was no reason to continue using the Teensy LC.

-The position of the LEDs has moved down from under the stem to under the contacts. This is just for mounting, since it's significantly easier to work with than it was before.

The bright spot shown on camera does help give you an idea, but it's not indicative of what it looks like in person. I would say the top of the switch looks darker, not that the bottom of the switch looks noticeably brighter. I will say that the lighting was a bit more uniform before, but moving the LEDs was such a huge help and the new LEDs look a little better so I'm sticking with this now.

-The price has gone down by $1. I know, not huge savings, but still a little bit cheaper!

CelticDog wrote:

So, I bought the RGB model with clears and figured I'd make a test play video. I think its pretty cool! ^^

[video]
Thanks for the video, I'll add it to the playlist. Glad you like it :)
Basdi

Nice work!!! (Arrived@Germany)

Greeting from Germany
Sebastian J.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An alle Deutschen die sich dieses Keypad kaufen wollen,
es kann durchaus sein das Ihr zum Zoll wie Ich rennen müsst da dieses Gerät versteuert werden muss. (Mehrwertsteuer*)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 7/31/15

The shop will be down for about a week while I wait for parts to come back in.

I'm working on rewriting the code for the RGB (1.1 specifically, but the 1.0 model as well in the future) to add some cool lighting effects involving brightness change. I also have some ideas for the v2(.1) so I'd like to rewrite everything, but there's only so many hours in a day so it may take a while. At the very least, I'm hoping to get the RGB done in my downtime so if you have one you can have something to look forward to.

I'm also trying to get something else that will be a cool option for people. It's nothing crazy, but I don't want to spoil the surprise.
ToransuShoujo
I ordered one before your store went down for restocking. Im really excited to get it, especially since my Z and X keys on my current keyboard broke. Thanks!
MeanDeer
The tape on the bottom of my keypad has worn out and no longer sticks. Should I buy more? If so, where can I find them?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

MeanDeer wrote:

The tape on the bottom of my keypad has worn out and no longer sticks. Should I buy more? If so, where can I find them?
How long have you had it? Have you cleaned it yet?
MeanDeer
I've had it for about two months. I washed the tape once after it got dirty.
Yarissa
Hey, I'm actually curious if you PCB/ solder mount these, since I'd like to try interchanging my own switches on these
ZenithPhantasm

Kaoru wrote:

Hey, I'm actually curious if you PCB/ solder mount these, since I'd like to try interchanging my own switches on these
I think you mean PCB or plate mount. Im 99.9% sure Thnikk uses PCB mounted switches.
-Raiz
how much is this keypad+shipping ? cuz its out of stock on the website
Topic Starter
Thnikk

MeanDeer wrote:

I've had it for about two months. I washed the tape once after it got dirty.
You should be able to wash it again and again and still be okay. If they do ever wear out after repeatedly cleaning them, all you have to look for is Scotch Restickable Tabs at your local office supply store. I use the 1x1" ones cut in half, but the 1/2"x1/2" ones would work too, just not as well. If you can't find them in any store or don't have any office supply stores near you, you can get a value pack on Walmart's website for around $5 with 27 tabs.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Kaoru wrote:

I think you mean PCB or plate mount. Im 99.9% sure Thnikk uses PCB mounted switches.
The switches themselves are pcb-mount but they're closer to plate-mounted. If you wanted to replace the switches, all you should need is your switches, a soldering iron, and a hot glue gun. Since you'd need a soldering iron to remove pcb-mounted switches, I can't imagine you'd run into any problems ;)

It's not ideal for me to be gluing the switches in, but hot glue is VERY easy to remove with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and a hot glue gun only costs ~$2.50 at most craft stores, so I'd rather have them solid on the unit than try to cut my cases with machine precision (by hand,) especially considering how easy it is to replace.

danteelesh wrote:

Prices are available here for now: [link]

For all of the models that say keycaps aren't included in price, it's $1 for the white or red & blue DSA keycaps and goes up to I believe $8 for doubleshot keypop keycaps.

Edit: Shipping also not included which is $5 to the US and $10 everywhere else.
-Raiz

danteelesh wrote:

Prices are available here for now: [link]

For all of the models that say keycaps aren't included in price, it's $1 for the white or red & blue DSA keycaps and goes up to I believe $8 for doubleshot keypop keycaps.

Edit: Shipping also not included which is $5 to the US and $10 everywhere else.[/quote]

when will you restock the keypads ?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Brightness can now be changed on the RGB 1.1 between 20 and 100%!
Still contemplating whether I want to leave the option on every LED mode besides custom or not. It's changed the same way colors are changed on custom, but I might make the LEDs white to show the brightness after the two blinks, then back to normal when the side button is released. This way it can be available on all of them without any confusion as to the current brightness which can come up on the BPM mode, since no keys are detected as being pressed. Most of what I said probably sounds like gibberish but if one person who owns one understands, good enough.

The code will be updated on the website tomorrow after I work out the last kink. The change will also be made to the original RGB hopefully within the next few days unless I get terribly busy, but it will still be top priority regardless.

-Raiz wrote:

when will you restock the keypads ?
We already talked in-game but for anyone else interested I'm hoping to be back up tomorrow or Saturday, depending on when the last parts I need come in. It should be tomorrow.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Hello everyone! Time for a small update since I haven't made a post in over a week.

Update 8/15/15
I restocked on Gateron clears and got some Gateron blues in for the first time. After playing with them for a bit, I do really like them. It's hard to say if I think they're better for osu than Cherry's since I don't think any tactile switches make much sense considering how violently people slam their keys down, but I do think they feel better. The slightly higher actuation point and the characteristic smoothness of Gateron switches really doesn't make them a pleasure to use, albeit maybe better on an actual keyboard. If you are interested in blues on a keypad though, this is definitely a nice addition to the current switch lineup!

Keypads are down again. I'm waiting on microcontrollers for the v2.1 and RGB that should come in by around Wednesday as well as black cases that should be in around the same time. If anyone noticed, I did add an option for a white case, which I'll be changing a bit. Etsy limits you to two variations per listing (which is currently occupied by switches and keycaps on most of my models,) so I'm going to have black and white as different listings. The only problem here is that I need product shots which I need actual units for first, so I'm hoping to have time for that tomorrow after I finish today's orders and get white versions of the basic and basic+ up by Monday.

Brightness change for RGB 1.0 is still in the works but hopefully I'll have a little bit of time to work on it tomorrow and the code for the 1.1 hasn't gone up yet, but I'll do my best to get it up either today or tomorrow. Sorry to anyone that may have been waiting, I'll edit this post once I've done it. All keypads since my last post have shipped with the update, but I'd like to add some documentation to the shop page as well as the website.

tl;dr Gateron blues are nice and white models of everything are coming.

Edit: Updated code for the RGB 1.1 is up on the site now.
ChokeMeister
Hello, I've been playing osu! on a laptop keyboard for about 10 months now and am currently at 13k. I am pretty good for a laptop user but my streaming and singletap stamina and accuracy is so horrible compared to my aim that it is holding me back a lot. I have been looking at these for quite a while and I am planning on purchasing one very soon! It is quite expensive, ~$30 for 2 keys and a button, but I understand that it's a homemade item and it takes time, effort, and labor to make each individual one. I just don't want to spend $100-200 on a full mechanical keyboard, so I am going with one of these! Plus a keyboard won't fit on my desk with my laptop here, so I don't really have a choice :D . But yeah, product looks great, quality, the reviews are great, can't wait to get one of these!
iTurret
I've ordered a Basic+ with cherry reds and i'm waiting for the keypad to be delivered to germany :D Can't wait to finally be able to try how mx reds feel :P
quattro cani

hammerschuss wrote:

I've ordered a Basic+ with cherry reds and i'm waiting for the keypad to be delivered to germany :D Can't wait to finally be able to try how mx reds feel :P
Did you buy it today? I'm also looking for one but it seems to be out of stock.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

SLG3 wrote:

Did you buy it today? I'm also looking for one but it seems to be out of stock.
All models should be back up tomorrow (but waiting on keycaps so the variety might be a little limited for the next week.)
show more