community forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
582
show more
Kaspar

Thnikk wrote:

So I did this today:
[video]

I'm planning on adding it as another lighting effect, but I'd like another day or two for testing/tweaking.
This looks fantastic! If I ordered an RGB right this second would this mode come in a software patch or would I have to buy another?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Kaspar wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

So I did this today:
[video]

I'm planning on adding it as another lighting effect, but I'd like another day or two for testing/tweaking.
This looks fantastic! If I ordered an RGB right this second would this mode come in a software patch or would I have to buy another?
All my orders from after 12 today and tomorrow aren't going to be shipped out until Monday morning, so if it's ready by Sunday it'll come by default. If not, it'll be available with a patch that's pretty easy to install. If you want to look over the process, the guide is here: [link]
RedPanda
That RGB keyboard is sexy as fuck.
Also, where do you buy your gateron switches from?
FieryLight

Thnikk wrote:

People had the idea 5 years ago? Did they do anything with that idea? I never claimed to have come up with the magical idea of a 2 key keyboard, I just started making them for people because I figured they were interested since I was so interested.

I definitely wouldn't say the idea was stolen by any means, but I do find it convenient that the "official" keypad goes up for sale after I test the market. I do welcome competition, though ;)
Oh, my bad. I could've sworn I saw 2 years on your profile >< But yeah, I do think a lot of people have come up with this idea on their own but never actually went on to make them. And certainly you were the first to mass produce them for others. But really, it's not nice to shame them since they did clearly show that this was coming long ago
bolt997
I want to order the RGB osu! Keypad but I'm having trouble picking which gateron switch I should use.
Is gateron clear the best choice?
Currently using razer green switches, 50g
The Gambler
If you prefer the razer switches, I believe that the gateron blues are the ones most similar to razer greens; gateron browns being similar to razer orange. Gateron clears are the one similar to red switches if I recall. I haven't personally tested them yet; only read them from sites.
RedPanda

The Gambler wrote:

If you prefer the razer switches, I believe that the gateron blues are the ones most similar to razer greens; gateron browns being similar to razer orange. Gateron clears are the one similar to red switches if I recall. I haven't personally tested them yet; only read them from sites.
They shouldn't really be compared to Razer switches at all. Most keyboard enthusiasts prefer Gateron switches over cherry mx.
The Gambler

RedPanda wrote:

They shouldn't really be compared to Razer switches at all. Most keyboard enthusiasts prefer Gateron switches over cherry mx.
Just recommending the closest switch in terms of functionality/type. I'm not necessarily comparing them in terms of feel and performance.

OT: Are Matias switches also worth exploring? I've played with a friend's Quiet Pro keyboard and they are surprisingly tactile.
bolt997
I see, thanks for the feedback.

I certainly prefer a tactile feel for my keyboard switches.
To those who own gateron clears, do they give a tactile kind of feel? Some say they're linear and others say they're tactile.
ZenithPhantasm

bolt997 wrote:

I see, thanks for the feedback.

I certainly prefer a tactile feel for my keyboard switches.
To those who own gateron clears, do they give a tactile kind of feel? Some say they're linear and others say they're tactile.
Linear and smoother than reds.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

FieryLight wrote:

Oh, my bad. I could've sworn I saw 2 years on your profile >< But yeah, I do think a lot of people have come up with this idea on their own but never actually went on to make them. And certainly you were the first to mass produce them for others. But really, it's not nice to shame them since they did clearly show that this was coming long ago
I'm not trying to shame anyone, I just said it was convenient. There was the video before I started this and I thought it looked really cool, but it wasn't in existence and I wanted one so I made my own. People said they were interested so I started selling them. There was no talk of actually starting any sort of production (as far as I could see) until after I sold a decent amount. It makes sense for someone to be more willing to invest in something knowing it would be successful, there's no shame to be had there.

Also, I'm not really mass producing. All of my keypads are made by hand.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

bolt997 wrote:

I see, thanks for the feedback.

I certainly prefer a tactile feel for my keyboard switches.
To those who own gateron clears, do they give a tactile kind of feel? Some say they're linear and others say they're tactile.
Linear and smoother than reds.
Yup. For anyone who wants the info on Gateron switches, this is from Massdrop:

Peak force:
Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Clears - 35g Linear
Browns - 45g Tactile
Reds - 45g Linear
Yellows - 50g Linear

They all feel smoother, too. It's most noticeable on lighter switches since there's less resistance.
autoteleology
If I was going to buy one of these, would you be willing/able to put some kind of weight in mine? I watched the test video and I saw the keypad wobbling all over the place.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Philosofikal wrote:

If I was going to buy one of these, would you be willing/able to put some kind of weight in mine? I watched the test video and I saw the keypad wobbling all over the place.
Was it Kev's video? He stuck it to his mousepad so it was pretty shaky, but if you stick it directly to your desk it shouldn't move around at all. The one I sent him was before I started using the tape I use right now. It was way too strong at the time and I think took some paint off his table so he stuck it to his mousepad. I've since switched to Scotch Restickable Tabs that stick well (but not too well to take paint off) and they can be cleaned.
Shizuyi
How often can you reattach and clean the tape? Since if i would buy one i would do it multiple times a day?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Shizuyi wrote:

How often can you reattach and clean the tape? Since if i would buy one i would do it multiple times a day?
I would rate it at twice a day for a month before the first time you should have to clean it as long as you're putting it on a clean surface. You can extrapolate from there, so if you doubled it you'd probably have to clean it for the first time a few weeks after you got it.

It seems like after cleaning it the first time you do have to do it more frequently to get the same effect, but not to the degree of eventually having to do it every day. My friend has had a keypad that he's been using for the past few months and moves it multiple times a day, and he doesn't need to clean it more than about once a week. Of course, eventually replacing them would be better, but he's told me he doesn't think he'll have to replace them anytime soon.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Small update 6/11:

BPM lighting effect added to the RGB keypad.
[link] Gif added to RGB page
[link] Code on remapping page updated to 1.1 and a changelog was added

For anyone who's ordered an RGB keypad, you all get the new LED mode. I made the change late Sunday night and everything was shipped out Monday morning.
THE FLAT EARTH
Got my keypad in the mail today!
Smoothest switch I've ever used, and awesome build quality as well.

Decided to make an (awful) video of my first impression/review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRkpvaiRt0

Reddit thread if you care about that stuff.
http://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comment ... mpression/
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Kaas wrote:

Got my keypad in the mail today!
Smoothest switch I've ever used, and awesome build quality as well.

Decided to make an (awful) video of my first impression/review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRkpvaiRt0

Reddit thread if you care about that stuff.
http://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comment ... mpression/
The video is perfect because you said my name perfectly! :)

Video added to the OP. Thanks for posting on Reddit, too. Sharing really helps me a lot.
I'm Probably just going to add a link to a playlist soon, it's getting too long with all of the videos now (which is a good thing.)
Magicrider
Hey thnikk, your keyboards seems really cool; I'd like to buy one but I have some questions to ask because I don't want to waste my money stupidly:

Is 8ms a too high latency to play Osu? I'm actually playing Osu since 4 months ~~ with my laptop, I would like to have mechanical switches since a long time and I don't want to buy a 200$ keyboard, so this would be the best for me. But I don't know what really 8ms represents in Osu!, and I can't buy the keyboard v2.1 because I don't have a micro usb port on my laptop and I can't find any adaptator.. I don't even know how much latency there is on a true mech keyboard.

Can someone tell me, is 8ms latency a real problem to play or this is not even noticeable ? Thanks :)
ZenithPhantasm

Magicrider wrote:

Hey thnikk, your keyboards seems really cool; I'd like to buy one but I have some questions to ask because I don't want to waste my money stupidly:

Is 8ms a too high latency to play Osu? I'm actually playing Osu since 4 months ~~ with my laptop, I would like to have mechanical switches since a long time and I don't want to buy a 200$ keyboard, so this would be the best for me. But I don't know what really 8ms represents in Osu!, and I can't buy the keyboard v2.1 because I don't have a micro usb port on my laptop and I can't find any adaptator.. I don't even know how much latency there is on a true mech keyboard.

Can someone tell me, is 8ms latency a real problem to play or this is not even noticeable ? Thanks :)
Unless you're playing AR11 no. Just change your offset to like -8 ms.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply