forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Thnikk
I've added a few pages to my website along with all of the prep work for the new keypad going up.

[link] Updated page for the v2 remapping guide, adding the RGB to the guide since they use the same microcontroller
[link] Added a page for the "v2.1", a new version of the v2 that uses the Pro Micro instead of the Teensy LC. The .1 doesn't mean it's any better, I just wanted a different name to avoid confusion with these guides.
[link] Added a page for LED modes of the v2/v2.1 to show them off to people who may be interested.
[link] Added a page for LED modes of the RGB keypad.
I also changed the navigation a bit to make it less confusing.

KevEz wrote:

I couldn't get it to start working again, tried it on a different PC with no luck and bought another cable just to make sure my cables weren't the issue, no luck their either. Theirs nothing wrong with it physically so all I can think of is that the programming must of gotten messed up or something and I wouldn't know how to fix that either ways, lol. Either ways it was great while it worked xD
I'd still like to check it out to see what's wrong with it. I'm thinking it's just a fluke and the trinket died, but I'd have to see for sure.
Free upgrade to RGB from a free model before would be cool though, huh? ;) I really wouldn't mind doing it, you've helped me out a lot.

[ Momiji ] wrote:

KevEz wrote:

Theirs nothing wrong with it
whose?
No grammar sticklers in my thread, pls.
THE FLAT EARTH
Awww, everything is out of stock besides the keycaps.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Alright, everything's up. To quickly outline the changes for people who haven't read through the thread:

The v1 and v2 are gone and replaced with the v2.1, which has taken the v1's place in price.

The RGB keypad is up for $36. There are no alternate keycap options right now, but glow in the dark may be added in the near future. It also exclusively uses Gateron switches for their semi-transparent housing which is perfect for the backlighting.

Cherry MX black switches are back in stock and Gateron reds, blacks, and browns have been added.

All keycaps are back in stock (though maybe not for long.)

There were a bunch of changes made to my website to add more information, including remapping/reprogramming guides for all models, a cleaning guide for my tape, an FAQ page, and pages showing off LED modes for the v2/v2.1 and RGB models.

[Shop] [RGB] [v2.1] [Basic+] [Basic]

[Website]

Kaas wrote:

Awww, everything is out of stock besides the keycaps.
^
Shizuyi
Im thinking about ordering one.
2 Questins before:
1. Whats the differnece between the RBG and the v2.1 besides the Ligghning effects of course? :P
2. WHats the difference between GAteron and Cherry Switches? I never used GAteron; are there the same differences´between the colours as at the Cherrys?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Shizuyi wrote:

Im thinking about ordering one.
2 Questins before:
1. Whats the differnece between the RBG and the v2.1 besides the Ligghning effects of course? :P
2. WHats the difference between GAteron and Cherry Switches? I never used GAteron; are there the same differences´between the colours as at the Cherrys?
1) Lighting effects are the only difference besides there being no option for Cherry switches on the RGB.

2) All of the Gateron colors match the corresponding Cherry colors except for clears which are a 35g linear switch and yellows (which I don't have) which are a 100g(?) linear switch. Beyond that, they are almost identical physically except for the semi-transparent white housing and the Gaterons feel a lot smoother.
Shizuyi
What about Basic and BAsic +? WHat makes em worse than RGB or v2.1?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Shizuyi wrote:

What about Basic and BAsic +? WHat makes em worse than RGB or v2.1?
The 125hz polling rate instead of the 1000hz found on the RGB and v2.1. Other than that, no backlighting and no escape button on the basic.
Shizuyi
Im very sorry for t´his much questions but the more appreciate your fast, informativ answers! :) I just wanted to get sure about buying it because its soooo much money for just 2 Keys (espeically if you live in Germany and have to handle 10$ shipping). But i think its worth an investemt since i HATE my Cherry Browns for Osu!. i could also be just bad but i i still hope to have more fun with other Switches.
Nib105N05
These look really cool, too bad I probably can't buy some from you. I would be concerned that there wouldn't be a wide enough gap between the keys. (I play with index and ring finger.)
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Shizuyi wrote:

Im very sorry for t´his much questions but the more appreciate your fast, informativ answers! :) I just wanted to get sure about buying it because its soooo much money for just 2 Keys (espeically if you live in Germany and have to handle 10$ shipping). But i think its worth an investemt since i HATE my Cherry Browns for Osu!. i could also be just bad but i i still hope to have more fun with other Switches.
No problem, I'm glad to be able to answer any questions you have. My keyboard with browns was the biggest reason I got into this so I understand :lol:

Nib105N05 wrote:

These look really cool, too bad I probably can't buy some from you. I would be concerned that there wouldn't be a wide enough gap between the keys. (I play with index and ring finger.)
I could make one for you to accommodate that. I have a wider housing (that's a little deeper too but the height is the same) that would probably work perfectly for 3 keys (or two with a 1 key space in the middle.)

I can't do this for everyone as I only have one of these cases right now. If anyone else is interested you can PM me and we can try to work something out.
THE FLAT EARTH
Awesome, ordered one with gateron clears :).
Topic Starter
Thnikk
So I did this today:

I'm planning on adding it as another lighting effect, but I'd like another day or two for testing/tweaking.

Kaas wrote:

Shipping out tomorrow morning!
sonoda
Very cool. I ordered one with Gateron clears. I'm looking forward to it!
THE FLAT EARTH

Thnikk wrote:

Kaas wrote:

Shipping out tomorrow morning!
Awesome, just got the shipping confirmation from Etsy!
Can't wait to get it.
disfunny
are you associated with the osu keypads on the osu site?
drum drum

disfunny wrote:

are you associated with the osu keypads on the osu site?
no
disfunny
feel like they kinda stole your idea :/
FieryLight

disfunny wrote:

A lot of people have had this idea before thnikk even began to play osu!. The idea was not stolen. This thread is 5 months old. Peppy showing everyone the osu!keyboard in this video is 10 months old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOLnWUeRovw
Topic Starter
Thnikk

FieryLight wrote:

disfunny wrote:

A lot of people have had this idea before thnikk even began to play osu!. The idea was not stolen. This thread is 5 months old. Peppy showing everyone the osu!keyboard in this video is 10 months old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOLnWUeRovw
People had the idea 5 years ago? Did they do anything with that idea? I never claimed to have come up with the magical idea of a 2 key keyboard, I just started making them for people because I figured they were interested since I was so interested.

I definitely wouldn't say the idea was stolen by any means, but I do find it convenient that the "official" keypad goes up for sale after I test the market. I do welcome competition, though ;)

lanour wrote:

Very cool. I ordered one with Gateron clears. I'm looking forward to it!
Also shipped out this morning!
Kaspar

Thnikk wrote:

So I did this today:
[video]

I'm planning on adding it as another lighting effect, but I'd like another day or two for testing/tweaking.
This looks fantastic! If I ordered an RGB right this second would this mode come in a software patch or would I have to buy another?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Kaspar wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

So I did this today:
[video]

This looks fantastic! If I ordered an RGB right this second would this mode come in a software patch or would I have to buy another?
All my orders from after 12 today and tomorrow aren't going to be shipped out until Monday morning, so if it's ready by Sunday it'll come by default. If not, it'll be available with a patch that's pretty easy to install. If you want to look over the process, the guide is here: [link]
DeletedUser_3905941
That RGB keyboard is sexy as fuck.
Also, where do you buy your gateron switches from?
FieryLight

Thnikk wrote:

People had the idea 5 years ago? Did they do anything with that idea? I never claimed to have come up with the magical idea of a 2 key keyboard, I just started making them for people because I figured they were interested since I was so interested.

I definitely wouldn't say the idea was stolen by any means, but I do find it convenient that the "official" keypad goes up for sale after I test the market. I do welcome competition, though ;)
Oh, my bad. I could've sworn I saw 2 years on your profile >< But yeah, I do think a lot of people have come up with this idea on their own but never actually went on to make them. And certainly you were the first to mass produce them for others. But really, it's not nice to shame them since they did clearly show that this was coming long ago
bolt997
I want to order the RGB osu! Keypad but I'm having trouble picking which gateron switch I should use.
Is gateron clear the best choice?
Currently using razer green switches, 50g
The Gambler
If you prefer the razer switches, I believe that the gateron blues are the ones most similar to razer greens; gateron browns being similar to razer orange. Gateron clears are the one similar to red switches if I recall. I haven't personally tested them yet; only read them from sites.
DeletedUser_3905941

The Gambler wrote:

If you prefer the razer switches, I believe that the gateron blues are the ones most similar to razer greens; gateron browns being similar to razer orange. Gateron clears are the one similar to red switches if I recall. I haven't personally tested them yet; only read them from sites.
They shouldn't really be compared to Razer switches at all. Most keyboard enthusiasts prefer Gateron switches over cherry mx.
The Gambler

RedPanda wrote:

They shouldn't really be compared to Razer switches at all. Most keyboard enthusiasts prefer Gateron switches over cherry mx.
Just recommending the closest switch in terms of functionality/type. I'm not necessarily comparing them in terms of feel and performance.

OT: Are Matias switches also worth exploring? I've played with a friend's Quiet Pro keyboard and they are surprisingly tactile.
bolt997
I see, thanks for the feedback.

I certainly prefer a tactile feel for my keyboard switches.
To those who own gateron clears, do they give a tactile kind of feel? Some say they're linear and others say they're tactile.
ZenithPhantasm

bolt997 wrote:

To those who own gateron clears, do they give a tactile kind of feel? Some say they're linear and others say they're tactile.
Linear and smoother than reds.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

FieryLight wrote:

Oh, my bad. I could've sworn I saw 2 years on your profile >< But yeah, I do think a lot of people have come up with this idea on their own but never actually went on to make them. And certainly you were the first to mass produce them for others. But really, it's not nice to shame them since they did clearly show that this was coming long ago
I'm not trying to shame anyone, I just said it was convenient. There was the video before I started this and I thought it looked really cool, but it wasn't in existence and I wanted one so I made my own. People said they were interested so I started selling them. There was no talk of actually starting any sort of production (as far as I could see) until after I sold a decent amount. It makes sense for someone to be more willing to invest in something knowing it would be successful, there's no shame to be had there.

Also, I'm not really mass producing. All of my keypads are made by hand.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

bolt997 wrote:

Linear and smoother than reds.
Yup. For anyone who wants the info on Gateron switches, this is from Massdrop:

Peak force:
Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Clears - 35g Linear
Browns - 45g Tactile
Reds - 45g Linear
Yellows - 50g Linear

They all feel smoother, too. It's most noticeable on lighter switches since there's less resistance.
autoteleology
If I was going to buy one of these, would you be willing/able to put some kind of weight in mine? I watched the test video and I saw the keypad wobbling all over the place.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Philosofikal wrote:

If I was going to buy one of these, would you be willing/able to put some kind of weight in mine? I watched the test video and I saw the keypad wobbling all over the place.
Was it Kev's video? He stuck it to his mousepad so it was pretty shaky, but if you stick it directly to your desk it shouldn't move around at all. The one I sent him was before I started using the tape I use right now. It was way too strong at the time and I think took some paint off his table so he stuck it to his mousepad. I've since switched to Scotch Restickable Tabs that stick well (but not too well to take paint off) and they can be cleaned.
Shizuyi
How often can you reattach and clean the tape? Since if i would buy one i would do it multiple times a day?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Shizuyi wrote:

How often can you reattach and clean the tape? Since if i would buy one i would do it multiple times a day?
I would rate it at twice a day for a month before the first time you should have to clean it as long as you're putting it on a clean surface. You can extrapolate from there, so if you doubled it you'd probably have to clean it for the first time a few weeks after you got it.

It seems like after cleaning it the first time you do have to do it more frequently to get the same effect, but not to the degree of eventually having to do it every day. My friend has had a keypad that he's been using for the past few months and moves it multiple times a day, and he doesn't need to clean it more than about once a week. Of course, eventually replacing them would be better, but he's told me he doesn't think he'll have to replace them anytime soon.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Small update 6/11:

BPM lighting effect added to the RGB keypad.
[link] Gif added to RGB page
[link] Code on remapping page updated to 1.1 and a changelog was added

For anyone who's ordered an RGB keypad, you all get the new LED mode. I made the change late Sunday night and everything was shipped out Monday morning.
THE FLAT EARTH
Got my keypad in the mail today!
Smoothest switch I've ever used, and awesome build quality as well.

Decided to make an (awful) video of my first impression/review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRkpvaiRt0

Reddit thread if you care about that stuff.
http://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comment ... mpression/
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Kaas wrote:

Got my keypad in the mail today!
Smoothest switch I've ever used, and awesome build quality as well.

Decided to make an (awful) video of my first impression/review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRkpvaiRt0

Reddit thread if you care about that stuff.
http://www.reddit.com/r/osugame/comment ... mpression/
The video is perfect because you said my name perfectly! :)

Video added to the OP. Thanks for posting on Reddit, too. Sharing really helps me a lot.
I'm Probably just going to add a link to a playlist soon, it's getting too long with all of the videos now (which is a good thing.)
Magicrider
Hey thnikk, your keyboards seems really cool; I'd like to buy one but I have some questions to ask because I don't want to waste my money stupidly:

Is 8ms a too high latency to play Osu? I'm actually playing Osu since 4 months ~~ with my laptop, I would like to have mechanical switches since a long time and I don't want to buy a 200$ keyboard, so this would be the best for me. But I don't know what really 8ms represents in Osu!, and I can't buy the keyboard v2.1 because I don't have a micro usb port on my laptop and I can't find any adaptator.. I don't even know how much latency there is on a true mech keyboard.

Can someone tell me, is 8ms latency a real problem to play or this is not even noticeable ? Thanks :)
ZenithPhantasm

Magicrider wrote:

Hey thnikk, your keyboards seems really cool; I'd like to buy one but I have some questions to ask because I don't want to waste my money stupidly:

Is 8ms a too high latency to play Osu? I'm actually playing Osu since 4 months ~~ with my laptop, I would like to have mechanical switches since a long time and I don't want to buy a 200$ keyboard, so this would be the best for me. But I don't know what really 8ms represents in Osu!, and I can't buy the keyboard v2.1 because I don't have a micro usb port on my laptop and I can't find any adaptator.. I don't even know how much latency there is on a true mech keyboard.

Can someone tell me, is 8ms latency a real problem to play or this is not even noticeable ? Thanks :)
Unless you're playing AR11 no. Just change your offset to like -8 ms.
autoteleology

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Magicrider wrote:

Just change your offset to like -8 ms.
This does nothing whatsoever to solve the problem. Having a polling rate of 125Hz means the input is sampled anywhere from 0-8ms late. All you've done is (a desync the music and b) make the input poll exactly the same on a different polling period.

Don't buy the cheap keypads. Get the two more expensive ones because they poll at 1000Hz. Buy this. http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/Product ... 317&cpnCd=
show more