forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mafurisu
Just recently purchased a keypad :)

now i'm praying that it will arrive before Friday next week :?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
I got an overwhelming amount of orders yesterday and now I'm out of reds. My supplier is ~30 miles away so I should get more in by Monday. Thanks to everyone for ordering!

Yazawa wrote:

Just recently purchased a keypad :)

now i'm praying that it will arrive before Friday next week :?
It's getting shipped out tomorrow morning so it should. I hope.

Edit: Gateron switches are in!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Cherry MX red switches and Gateron clears added to shop. I found this post on the gaterons before I bought them here, which I think is a good page if you're looking for info on them. They are essentially a smoother cherry mx red with a lighter spring. I agree with most of the things said in that imgur post, but I don't really like the term "knock-off" for these, simply for the bad connotation of the word. I'm testing all of these, so QC shouldn't be an issue and from what I've tested of them they feel superior to reds. The only reason everything is so similar (which is why konock-off was used) to cherry switches is for compatibility. They're not like knock-off headphones or glasses, which are meant to look visually similar while losing all integrity of the originals.
armido15
This is a brilliant idea, i've looked for cheap numpad with mechanical keys btt they aren't too many. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one.
What is the differnence between basic and basic+?
I am quite noob about mechanical switches, and you have lot of switches to choose from, where comes in the difference ?
FieryLight

armido15 wrote:

This is a brilliant idea, i've looked for cheap numpad with mechanical keys btt they aren't too many. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one.
I am quite noob about mechanical switches, and you have lot of switches to choose from, where comes in the difference ?
Basic + has a side button for "Esc."

Switches: Red - linear and light (45 cN) [linear as in you push with the same force the whole way through, you never physically feel when you've activated the key; cN is centiNewtons and that's how much force you need to apply to push the key down]
Black linear and heavier (60cN)
Brown - tactile and light (45cN) [tactile as in you can feel the click that tells you the key has been activated]
Blue - tactile and heavier (55cN) [you can hear these being activated]

Red is the most popular it seems. Many high ranked players use this (including the current top 3 I believe).
Black is used by many of the best streamers like jesus1412 or Staiain.
Brown is used by sayonara-bye.
Blue is used by SiLviA, mugio3 and I think Cookiezi used blue before switching to red.
So as you can see, there's no best switch, many different top players have different choices.
E m i

FieryLight wrote:

you never physically feel when you've activated the key

FieryLight wrote:

Blue is used by [...] mugio3
time to get blues for acc
-GN

FieryLight wrote:

Black is used by [...] Staiain.
pretty sure Staiain has preferred brown switches for his stepmania smashing, but blacks are supposed to be superior for pure speed, yes
FieryLight

-GN wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

Black is used by [...] Staiain.
pretty sure Staiain has preferred brown switches for his stepmania smashing, but blacks are supposed to be superior for pure speed, yes
I think I heard this was on blacks:
armido15

FieryLight wrote:

armido15 wrote:

Basic + has a side button for "Esc."

Switches: Red - linear and light (45 cN) [linear as in you push with the same force the whole way through, you never physically feel when you've activated the key; cN is centiNewtons and that's how much force you need to apply to push the key down]
Black linear and heavier (60cN)
Brown - tactile and light (45cN) [tactile as in you can feel the click that tells you the key has been activated]
Blue - tactile and heavier (55cN) [you can hear these being activated]

Red is the most popular it seems. Many high ranked players use this (including the current top 3 I believe).
Black is used by many of the best streamers like jesus1412 or Staiain.
Brown is used by sayonara-bye.
Blue is used by SiLviA, mugio3 and I think Cookiezi used blue before switching to red.
So as you can see, there's no best switch, many different top players have different choices.
Thank you, this was easiest explanation for this.
I think I am gonna get either brown or red, I don't know whether I want to feel the click or not. Any advice about that ?
ZenithPhantasm
Steelseries QS1.
FieryLight

armido15 wrote:

I think I am gonna get either brown or red, I don't know whether I want to feel the click or not. Any advice about that ?
I tried my friend's worn brown's before and it was hilarious. His QWER keys might as well have been red because they were so worn but the "Insert" key felt practically new. Personally I think red > brown for this reason but if browns always felt fresh they'd be the best. I suppose you could just remap your keys every few months or something but yeah. And I think you can't really go wrong with reds b/c so many top players use them whereas with browns you might begin to feel like you made the wrong choice at some point. But forgetting all of that, the most important thing is how they feel to YOU. Go to a nearby Best Buy or something and try out different switches! =)
ZenithPhantasm

FieryLight wrote:

armido15 wrote:

I tried my friend's worn brown's before and it was hilarious. His QWER keys might as well have been red because they were so worn but the "Insert" key felt practically new. Personally I think red > brown for this reason but if browns always felt fresh they'd be the best. I suppose you could just remap your keys every few months or something but yeah. And I think you can't really go wrong with reds b/c so many top players use them whereas with browns you might begin to feel like you made the wrong choice at some point. But forgetting all of that, the most important thing is how they feel to YOU. Go to a nearby Best Buy or something and try out different switches! =)
As an owner of a Razer Orange switch keyboard I can confirm my zxcv keys no longer have a noticeable tactile bump. They feel like something between a broken red and black switch. Switching to QS1 keyboard in near future.
Mafurisu
Okay, so I ordered the keypad around last week and according to the tracking service, it said that it delivered yesterday to my friend's house (had it shipped to him so he could give it to me afterwards) but when I asked him today if he had it, he said that he never got it (wat) http://puu.sh/gQm5o/0c2fd203a5.jpg

hopefully nothing else bad happens and i eventually get it :?

Edit: okay the package just came a day late >:3 gonna get it tomorrow and will mess around with it during school and i'll leave my opinions, etc \:D/
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Everything on the shop is going to be down for the next few days as I'm going to be on a short vacation (and parts have to come in, everything sold a bit too fast ;))

Also, thanks to everyone for being so helpful and friendly in the thread!

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

As an owner of a Razer Orange switch keyboard I can confirm my zxcv keys no longer have a noticeable tactile bump. They feel like something between a broken red and black switch. Switching to QS1 keyboard in near future.
My keyboard uses browns and my wasd feels pretty worn out in comparison to my less used keys, too. Never even thought of that as a potential issue with the tactile switches.

Yazawa wrote:

Okay, so I ordered the keypad around last week and according to the tracking service, it said that it delivered yesterday to my friend's house (had it shipped to him so he could give it to me afterwards) but when I asked him today if he had it, he said that he never got it (wat) http://puu.sh/gQm5o/0c2fd203a5.jpg

hopefully nothing else bad happens and i eventually get it :?

Edit: okay the package just came a day late >:3 gonna get it tomorrow and will mess around with it during school and i'll leave my opinions, etc \:D/
That had me worried for a sec. Glad everything worked out and I hope you like it!

Edit: Something I've been working on recently. I don't know if I'd ever make this a product I sell, but the development can help with future projects and boards I might use for a higher polling rate model (teensy alternative since teensies are a bit too expensive to be viable.)

IH_

Thnikk wrote:

Everything on the shop is going to be down for the next few days as I'm going to be on a short vacation (and parts have to come in, everything sold a bit too fast ;))

Also, thanks to everyone for being so helpful and friendly in the thread!
Damn, and I was about to buy one :c

I'll just have to wait. Have a good vacation!
Storb
Any chance on releasing a guide on how to remap the keys each button is bound to (including escape, if possible)?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
I finished a special keypad I made for my friend today. It's using a Pro Trinket which has a lot more pins for buttons and analog pins for controlling LED brightness, but is still using USB 1.1 so the polling rate is still capped at 125. This is what I've been working on in all of my previous videos. It has four lighting modes-- "reactive" fade-out, on, off, and "breathe". I would like to eventually have a higher polling rate model with all of these lighting effects, but I'm trying to find a nice alternative board to a Teensy to avoid adding $13 to the cost, thus adding $13 to the price. If anyone was actually interested in this model in the video just for the lighting effects, let me know. The price would be ~$35 WITHOUT keycaps, plus the usual $1 for white DSA, $7 for keypop doubleshot, etc.

inohdtx wrote:

Damn, and I was about to buy one :c

I'll just have to wait. Have a good vacation!
Thanks a lot! Went to SoCal and had a lot of fun with the Project Diva arcade :)

I'm planning on having everything back up by the end of the week, probably sooner. I'm out of shipping boxes which is kind of a big deal...

Storb wrote:

Any chance on releasing a guide on how to remap the keys each button is bound to (including escape, if possible)?
I'm going to start working on that next while I have some down time. I'm hoping to have it done before all of my parts come in, but if I don't it might get pushed back up a bit. I don't think it'll be that much work though, so probably by tomorrow or Wednesday.
Nantakuuu

Thnikk wrote:

I finished a special keypad I made for my friend today. It's using a Pro Trinket which has a lot more pins for buttons and analog pins for controlling LED brightness, but is still using USB 1.1 so the polling rate is still capped at 125. This is what I've been working on in all of my previous videos. It has four lighting modes-- "reactive" fade-out, on, off, and "breathe". I would like to eventually have a higher polling rate model with all of these lighting effects, but I'm trying to find a nice alternative board to a Teensy to avoid adding $13 to the cost, thus adding $13 to the price. If anyone was actually interested in this model in the video just for the lighting effects, let me know. The price would be ~$35 WITHOUT keycaps, plus the usual $1 for white DSA, $7 for keypop doubleshot, etc.

Dude! You should totally do these, I haven't order one of your keypads yet because they always sell out when I get paid. Unlucky timing I guess, but if you do these custom orders, I'm down to buy it. I want the nice keycaps in the video too.

How much do you think it would be? Man, I'm going broke for osu.
IH_

Thnikk wrote:

Thanks a lot! Went to SoCal and had a lot of fun with the Project Diva arcade :)

I'm planning on having everything back up by the end of the week, probably sooner. I'm out of shipping boxes which is kind of a big deal...
That's nice to hear dude! (Although I'm not too familiar with Project Diva hehe)

Can't wait for weekend then! I hope you get those shipping boxes too :o

Cheers.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
For anyone interested in pricing and additional information, I added this page to my website. I'll add it to the OP along with the next major update when my parts come in on Friday.

Nantakuuu wrote:

Dude! You should totally do these, I haven't order one of your keypads yet because they always sell out when I get paid. Unlucky timing I guess, but if you do these custom orders, I'm down to buy it. I want the nice keycaps in the video too.

How much do you think it would be? Man, I'm going broke for osu.
I'm going with $47 shipped for now (to the US.) I made one for myself and I only have parts for one left now. I'm still working out the kinks, but if you're interested, PM me and I can hold the parts for you.

inohdtx wrote:

That's nice to hear dude! (Although I'm not too familiar with Project Diva hehe)

Can't wait for weekend then! I hope you get those shipping boxes too :o

Cheers.
Boxes are in (and much much nicer than my older ones!) Still waiting for some keycaps to come in (for sure by Friday) and everything will be back up.

edit: I wanted to post for one reason and I forgot. I'd like to eventually add some pictures and clean up a bit, but I made a guide for remapping the buttons on the keypad here.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Everything is back up on the shop! New additions include red and blue dsa keycaps (also available for basic and basic+), red and blue "bottle" translucent keycaps, red 8-bit heart translucent keycaps, frosted blue and orange keycaps, and Gateron clear switches (which were available before but I'm saying it again to sound more official.)

I have a lot of extras this time around so there should be less or no down time after this "batch" sells out.
Yuudachi-kun
Everytime you make a new "batch", I imagine you're baking cookie's and pulling them out with an oven mitt and a warm smile.
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

Everytime you make a new "batch", I imagine you're baking cookie's and pulling them out with an oven mitt and a warm smile.
10 brownies to go please.

In all seriousness keep up the good work.
Nantakuuu

Thnikk wrote:

Everything is back up on the shop! New additions include red and blue dsa keycaps (also available for basic and basic+), red and blue "bottle" translucent keycaps, red 8-bit heart translucent keycaps, frosted blue and orange keycaps, and Gateron clear switches (which were available before but I'm saying it again to sound more official.)

I have a lot of extras this time around so there should be less or no down time after this "batch" sells out.
I don't have the extra money, but I will next month. If you are still doing these next month
E m i

Kheldragar wrote:

this describes it perfectly
IH_

Thnikk wrote:

Just bought a basic+ with red & blue DSA :)
Can't wait to try it!

Cheers.
Fys
Any issues with stability? These seems very small and light.

*Would it be possible to custom order a bigger/heavier base?
ZenithPhantasm

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Topic Starter
Thnikk

Kheldragar wrote:

Replace cookies and oven mitt with plastic boxes and a dremel and you're spot on :)

Nantakuuu wrote:

I don't have the extra money, but I will next month. If you are still doing these next month
I don't plan on stopping any time soon so that shouldn't be a problem.

Fyss wrote:

Any issues with stability? These seems very small and light.

*Would it be possible to custom order a bigger/heavier base?
I honestly have never had an issue with stability myself, but I'm also the guy with rolls of heavy duty and restickable tape. I think as long as you're careful with the restickable stuff (which is what I include now) and put it on a clean surface you shouldn't have any problems. If it loses stickiness, you can clean the tape off with some water and it'll be almost good as new.

Having said that, I'm aware that it's not a permanent solution if you plan on moving it around a lot. My only recommendation if you are planning on transporting it a lot is to have a non-stick surface to put it on when you move it. Even a piece of wax paper would work.

I'd like to be able to offer an alternate base, but the only thing that would solve the issue would be something like a metal case, which I don't have the proper tools to cut. Something bigger might help, but it would have to be laughably big.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

1) Cut 4 holes in bottom of keypad to accommodate end bits of suction cups, exposing internals.

2) Cut smaller holes underneath those but attached so they can be slid in and out, as that would be the only way to get them in in the first place, exposing internals more.

3) Have a matte ikea desk that is best friends with dust and have it never stick, or have them get dirty all the time.

4) :(
Khyo
I cannot wait to receive my keypad!!!!
jayiduhn
Well, my osu! keypad just arrived and it's absolutely amazing. The only problem was finding where to stick it as I am planning to be moving it around often. :/ After long and hard searching, I have finally found a solution! (for me at least)
Sticking it on my external harddrive!

It works wonders, fully portable and stable as it has rubber feet!

If anyone else if having portability problems, I hope this solution can help you haha :)
ZenithPhantasm
Osu keypad and hentai collection all in one place. You. Are. A. Genius.
[Aiko]
[deleted]
Fibbbb
Got my keypad a day ago and loving the lights.
I'm so glad I upgraded from my laptop keyboard and bought this, feels soooo much better. Thanks so much for making this Thnikk!
Nantakuuu
Where do you get the black container? I'm looking for something similar for one of my school projects. Would appreciate it
Topic Starter
Thnikk

jayiduhn wrote:

Well, my osu! keypad just arrived and it's absolutely amazing. The only problem was finding where to stick it as I am planning to be moving it around often. :/ After long and hard searching, I have finally found a solution! (for me at least)
[iimg] Sticking it on my external harddrive!

It works wonders, fully portable and stable as it has rubber feet! [img]

If anyone else if having portability problems, I hope this solution can help you haha :)
This is a good idea as long as you don't hammer it too hard. Hard drives are mechanical so they are prone to damage through vibrations and such, so be careful.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Osu keypad and hentai collection all in one place. You. Are. A. Genius.
Now the aluminum enclosures for SSDs makes sense. Just put your boot SSD in an aluminum enclosure with rubber feet and put your keypad on top :P

CelticDog wrote:

Awesome keypad. I'm using one cherry MX reds, and its been working great. The LEDs with red/blue keycaps looks really nice. It feels extremely durable considering how often I play. I also haven't had any issues with the sticky tape yet, and I move it around quite a bit. This was definitely a worthwhile purchase, thanks!
Thank you for the feedback!

Fibbbb wrote:

Got my keypad a day ago and loving the lights.
I'm so glad I upgraded from my laptop keyboard and bought this, feels soooo much better. Thanks so much for making this Thnikk!
You're welcome, glad you like it!

Nantakuuu wrote:

Where do you get the black container? I'm looking for something similar for one of my school projects. Would appreciate it
Check PMs

Edit: Pro trinket keypad on the backburner as it's been giving me a lot of problems (usb connectivity is super iffy.) I'm going to move all of the code onto the teensy in the mean time and try to find another microcontroller.
Storb
When attempting to compile the code to remap the keys, I'm getting this error message. Correct board (Adafruit Trinket 16MHz) and programmer (USBtinyISP) are selected. Hope there's any advice for this, because otherwise these keypads are absolutely perfect in every way.
DiSSneyVACation

Thnikk wrote:

Plug and play for all of the operating systems I've tested, which has been Win 7, 8.1, OS X Mavericks, and Ubuntu 14.04. I think it's recognized as a generic keyboard so it should work on almost everything without having to install any drivers.

Unless you want to reprogram it, then the drivers are available from adafruit along with all the necessary software.

What should I do, in the rare case that it doesn't work plug and play with ALL OS? For me it works fine with windows 8.1 , but on windows 7 it's only recognized that there is something in the USB port and that's it.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Storb wrote:

When attempting to compile the code to remap the keys, I'm getting this error message. Correct board (Adafruit Trinket 16MHz) and programmer (USBtinyISP) are selected. Hope there's any advice for this, because otherwise these keypads are absolutely perfect in every way.
Edit: I've updated the page on my website. Adafruit updated their code to work on version 1.6.3 of the Arduino IDE (it was running on 1.0.5) and an issue with not being able to detect libraries properly seems to have been fixed. Please delete your current arduino folder and redownload the IDE in step 6 and follow the newly edied steps afterward.

ZarTaen wrote:

What should I do, in the rare case that it doesn't work plug and play with ALL OS? For me it works fine with windows 8.1 , but on windows 7 it's only recognized that there is something in the USB port and that's it.
The only thing it should be is the port or the cable you're using. I've had bad mini usb cables that'll tell me usb device not recognized, and a bad port would probably say the same thing. Otherwise it might be a compatibility issue with the USB controller on your motherboard, so if you can try other rear ports or a usb 3.0 port that might help.
DiSSneyVACation

Thnikk wrote:

The only thing it should be is the port or the cable you're using. I've had bad mini usb cables that'll tell me usb device not recognized, and a bad port would probably say the same thing. Otherwise it might be a compatibility issue with the USB controller on your motherboard, so if you can try other rear ports or a usb 3.0 port that might help.
Well, now there is the funny thing that makes it weird: it worked the first time i plugged it in, after then it never worked again on my pc. I also tried all 6 ports (that pc only has 2.0), so I think it's a motherboard compatibility issue, since it is powered, but not recognized (I get the error code 43: device malfunctions and therefore is stopped.). Everything works just fine on my windows 8.1 laptop, so i don''t think it's the cable.

Anyway, thanks for your reply :D

Edit: Anyone with a similar problem, consider disconnecting your PC from any power sources for a while and then connecting again with the trinket plugged out..
3rd Edit: I found a real solution: One should simply look for the USB host controller in the device manager, for me it is a chipset from intel. "Update" the drivers-> browse my computer -> let me pick from a list of device drivers .... -> there I had 2 choices: the standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller or that intel chipset thingy. I have chosen the standard Enhanced PCI one and it works.
4th Edit: I shouldn't have unplugged it..

5th Edit: I finally did it.. THIS IS THE SOLUTION: Step 1: Unplug your PC from any power sources. Step 2: Have the keypad unplugged, and boot up the PC Step 3: plug the keypad in when windows has booted. Step 4: uninstall the keypad in the device manager. Step 5: If you have 2 USB host controllers, plug the mouse in a port that isn't on the same controller of the keypad. Then proceed to uninstall the USB Host controller of the keypad. Do not do that with the controller of your mouse, or you can't use it for obvious reasons. Step 6: After uninstalling the USB host controller, check for new hardware, it will be installed again. Step 7: The keypad should be recognized as a USB Input Device now.

Sorry for that huge post, hopefully I can help someone with this.
show more