posted
Total Posts
show more
Worvik
Deleted
Topic Starter
Thnikk

DoodleBlob wrote:

Time to dig out the double sided tape I may have thrown away.
Update: I managed to find one but not the other. I washed it with water and now it is soooo sticky. I found it annoying though when you had to dry it because it sticks to whatever you dry it with. My keypad is now attached very firmly onto the table, although it could be better as it is only has 1 bit of tape. Thanks for that info thnikk, and could you add that on the etsy page if that tape is going to be used on all keypads in the future?

Edit: I searched for those restickable strips but they are not available in the UK, unless you are willing to pay $10 import costs, which I am not willing to do on some tape... Oh well.
This will be added when the next batch goes up. Thanks for the reminder, there's a lot of stuff to add in the description. Sorry for not letting you know sooner :(

WhippetWolf wrote:

Speaking of those tapes, what kind of tables do you guys have? Most tables cooperate with these stickers like mine, which would probably almost last forever.
Mine's just an IKEA table with a vinyl top. Nothing sticks too well to it.

WhippetWolf wrote:

Made an advertisement in my free time for "Twitch" users! Hope you like it!

[image]

Note: This is not the "final" results of the advertisement... I'll make it look better if you want!
Thanks, that's great! I really appreciate it :)
Sylveon
I'm also from the UK and recieved my keys in literally 3 days after order. I can't be happier and would recommend this for anyone who doesn't have much room on their desk for a whole keyboard, or the money... I got the glow in the dark ones, and they do glow in the dark :D
stal
It has been 2 months since I got mine and would just like to say that everything is still in good condition. :D
Ayitzchance
Love the idea, really glad to see someone making stuff like this ^^

I'm pretty sold on the idea but just wondering if the tape works well with a granite surface, it unintentionally moving is my biggest concern
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Does anyone here play project diva? I looked into it a bit and found this to use with an arduino uno I've had sitting around for the past year. I just got ordered some arcade buttons and I'm excited to mess around with it.

Ayitzchance wrote:

Love the idea, really glad to see someone making stuff like this ^^

I'm pretty sold on the idea but just wondering if the tape works well with a granite surface, it unintentionally moving is my biggest concern
As long as it's polished granite it should stick well. Any glossy surface similar to glass should work best. I'm considering adding a tape option for anyone who isn't worried about portability and would rather use the heavy duty tape I included before for a more permanent solution.
ButteredPotato
Just wondering, but why don't you stick some rubber on the bottom? It will prevent it from slipping and it doesn't wear out nearly as fast as tape. Also, tape could possibly rip the paint off of some tables, lol.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
I've somehow managed to overlook the pro trinket this whole time. Looking into usb interface and polling rate, but I do have one on the way to play with. Only $4 more than the regular trinket, too! This could be promising for some more ambitious ideas.

ButteredPotato wrote:

Just wondering, but why don't you stick some rubber on the bottom? It will prevent it from slipping and it doesn't wear out nearly as fast as tape. Also, tape could possibly rip the paint off of some tables, lol.
My only concern with that would be that I'd need it to be sticky. The keypads are very light and don't have any weight to keep them down, so tape is almost necessary. I've tried to look around for alternative solutions but it's hard to find anything that doesn't cost an arm and a leg when I just need a small sample to test on one keypad.

The tape ripping paint off was a problem with the heavy duty stuff I used to use, but the scotch restickable strips aren't nearly as strong and I'd be shocked if anyone had a problem with it. I'm still open to ideas but I don't think rubber would really work.
E m i
you can also add some weights, which, combined with rubber, would keep it in place.
ZenithPhantasm
Worvik
Deleted
Stuffed Otter
Zenith to the rescue
Topic Starter
Thnikk

[ Momiji ] wrote:

you can also add some weights, which, combined with rubber, would keep it in place.
Even cheap lead fishing weights would still need some sort of insulation for 100% safety (not for the player but for the keypad to not short.) The rubber could match the price of the tape but the weights plus something to cover them wouldn't be viable without raising the price which I'd like to avoid.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

[image that looks like something else at first glance]
This isn't an awful idea but there's no easy way to mount it to the keypad without drilling holes into the bottom. Even then, there's not that much surface area so the best that would be reasonably possible is two and then it would rock back and forth.

Tape isn't great but it just werks.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Batch #4 is up! I'm going to be moving away from batches now in favor of having large stock and buying parts in batches individually. This should mean there's less (and hopefully no) downtime, you might just have to wait for the keycaps or keyswitches you want to come back in stock which shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks. I'm also working on a new model that I hope to have up within the next month or two ;)

If you're interested in stock and development updates, I would recommend subscribing to my lewsletter here.
carlisle_
So my keypad arrived yesterday, unfortunately I was busy so I couldn't play around with it until later that night. When I finally had a chance to try it out it was incredibly light as everyone was saying, I used an old mousepad to stop it from moving for now. I've been loving the light up on actuation. Another thing too is the keys feel really stiff for cherry reds due to the o rings, though it's helped me practice to not bottom out the keys when I play since it only requires a tap. :3

I'm definately looking forward to what you have planned coming out in the future, I'd also be interested in an arcade pad for Project Diva in the near future!
Thanks for the excellent service ~
Mafurisu
How long would you think it'd take for this product to deliver if you live in the west coast? (ex. california)
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Kaizhou wrote:

So my keypad arrived yesterday, unfortunately I was busy so I couldn't play around with it until later that night. When I finally had a chance to try it out it was incredibly light as everyone was saying, I used an old mousepad to stop it from moving for now. I've been loving the light up on actuation. Another thing too is the keys feel really stiff for cherry reds due to the o rings, though it's helped me practice to not bottom out the keys when I play since it only requires a tap. :3

I'm definately looking forward to what you have planned coming out in the future, I'd also be interested in an arcade pad for Project Diva in the near future!
Thanks for the excellent service ~
Thanks for the feedback! Glad to know someone's interested in the Project Diva pad. I got my buttons today so now I'm just waiting on a case for it. 30 mm buttons seem WAY too small.

Yazawa wrote:

How long would you think it'd take for this product to deliver if you live in the west coast? (ex. california)
I've seen shipping take 5 days to get delivered to someone in another country and 6 days to get to someone on the other side of the SF bay. My estimate would be about a week after ordering, but take it with a grain of salt as first-class is somewhat unpredictable.
Yarissa

Thnikk wrote:

This is a good idea.

Anyone in the top 100 of the US interested? ;)
Hi yes me pls
Te Amo

Kaoru wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

This is a good idea.

Anyone in the top 100 of the US interested? ;)
Hi yes me pls
I already did it for him but maybe he wants more experienced players? :)
Yarissa
I'd honestly love to personally try something with clears/ something more portable for when I get a laptop and this suits the bill. I have multiple mechanical keyboards so an honest review wouldn't be hard
Topic Starter
Thnikk

KevEz wrote:

I already did it for him but maybe he wants more experienced players? :)
Two testers are better than one ;)

Kaoru wrote:

I'd honestly love to personally try something with clears/ something more portable for when I get a laptop and this suits the bill. I have multiple mechanical keyboards so an honest review wouldn't be hard
You have been deemed worthy.
Mafurisu
Just recently purchased a keypad :)

now i'm praying that it will arrive before Friday next week :?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
I got an overwhelming amount of orders yesterday and now I'm out of reds. My supplier is ~30 miles away so I should get more in by Monday. Thanks to everyone for ordering!

Yazawa wrote:

Just recently purchased a keypad :)

now i'm praying that it will arrive before Friday next week :?
It's getting shipped out tomorrow morning so it should. I hope.

Edit: Gateron switches are in!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Cherry MX red switches and Gateron clears added to shop. I found this post on the gaterons before I bought them here, which I think is a good page if you're looking for info on them. They are essentially a smoother cherry mx red with a lighter spring. I agree with most of the things said in that imgur post, but I don't really like the term "knock-off" for these, simply for the bad connotation of the word. I'm testing all of these, so QC shouldn't be an issue and from what I've tested of them they feel superior to reds. The only reason everything is so similar (which is why konock-off was used) to cherry switches is for compatibility. They're not like knock-off headphones or glasses, which are meant to look visually similar while losing all integrity of the originals.
armido15
This is a brilliant idea, i've looked for cheap numpad with mechanical keys btt they aren't too many. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one.
What is the differnence between basic and basic+?
I am quite noob about mechanical switches, and you have lot of switches to choose from, where comes in the difference ?
FieryLight

armido15 wrote:

This is a brilliant idea, i've looked for cheap numpad with mechanical keys btt they aren't too many. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one.
I am quite noob about mechanical switches, and you have lot of switches to choose from, where comes in the difference ?
Basic + has a side button for "Esc."

Switches: Red - linear and light (45 cN) [linear as in you push with the same force the whole way through, you never physically feel when you've activated the key; cN is centiNewtons and that's how much force you need to apply to push the key down]
Black linear and heavier (60cN)
Brown - tactile and light (45cN) [tactile as in you can feel the click that tells you the key has been activated]
Blue - tactile and heavier (55cN) [you can hear these being activated]

Red is the most popular it seems. Many high ranked players use this (including the current top 3 I believe).
Black is used by many of the best streamers like jesus1412 or Staiain.
Brown is used by sayonara-bye.
Blue is used by SiLviA, mugio3 and I think Cookiezi used blue before switching to red.
So as you can see, there's no best switch, many different top players have different choices.
E m i

FieryLight wrote:

you never physically feel when you've activated the key

FieryLight wrote:

Blue is used by [...] mugio3
time to get blues for acc
-GN

FieryLight wrote:

Black is used by [...] Staiain.
pretty sure Staiain has preferred brown switches for his stepmania smashing, but blacks are supposed to be superior for pure speed, yes
FieryLight

-GN wrote:

FieryLight wrote:

Black is used by [...] Staiain.
pretty sure Staiain has preferred brown switches for his stepmania smashing, but blacks are supposed to be superior for pure speed, yes
I think I heard this was on blacks:
armido15

FieryLight wrote:

armido15 wrote:

Basic + has a side button for "Esc."

Switches: Red - linear and light (45 cN) [linear as in you push with the same force the whole way through, you never physically feel when you've activated the key; cN is centiNewtons and that's how much force you need to apply to push the key down]
Black linear and heavier (60cN)
Brown - tactile and light (45cN) [tactile as in you can feel the click that tells you the key has been activated]
Blue - tactile and heavier (55cN) [you can hear these being activated]

Red is the most popular it seems. Many high ranked players use this (including the current top 3 I believe).
Black is used by many of the best streamers like jesus1412 or Staiain.
Brown is used by sayonara-bye.
Blue is used by SiLviA, mugio3 and I think Cookiezi used blue before switching to red.
So as you can see, there's no best switch, many different top players have different choices.
Thank you, this was easiest explanation for this.
I think I am gonna get either brown or red, I don't know whether I want to feel the click or not. Any advice about that ?
ZenithPhantasm
Steelseries QS1.
FieryLight

armido15 wrote:

I think I am gonna get either brown or red, I don't know whether I want to feel the click or not. Any advice about that ?
I tried my friend's worn brown's before and it was hilarious. His QWER keys might as well have been red because they were so worn but the "Insert" key felt practically new. Personally I think red > brown for this reason but if browns always felt fresh they'd be the best. I suppose you could just remap your keys every few months or something but yeah. And I think you can't really go wrong with reds b/c so many top players use them whereas with browns you might begin to feel like you made the wrong choice at some point. But forgetting all of that, the most important thing is how they feel to YOU. Go to a nearby Best Buy or something and try out different switches! =)
ZenithPhantasm

FieryLight wrote:

armido15 wrote:

I tried my friend's worn brown's before and it was hilarious. His QWER keys might as well have been red because they were so worn but the "Insert" key felt practically new. Personally I think red > brown for this reason but if browns always felt fresh they'd be the best. I suppose you could just remap your keys every few months or something but yeah. And I think you can't really go wrong with reds b/c so many top players use them whereas with browns you might begin to feel like you made the wrong choice at some point. But forgetting all of that, the most important thing is how they feel to YOU. Go to a nearby Best Buy or something and try out different switches! =)
As an owner of a Razer Orange switch keyboard I can confirm my zxcv keys no longer have a noticeable tactile bump. They feel like something between a broken red and black switch. Switching to QS1 keyboard in near future.
Mafurisu
Okay, so I ordered the keypad around last week and according to the tracking service, it said that it delivered yesterday to my friend's house (had it shipped to him so he could give it to me afterwards) but when I asked him today if he had it, he said that he never got it (wat) http://puu.sh/gQm5o/0c2fd203a5.jpg

hopefully nothing else bad happens and i eventually get it :?

Edit: okay the package just came a day late >:3 gonna get it tomorrow and will mess around with it during school and i'll leave my opinions, etc \:D/
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Everything on the shop is going to be down for the next few days as I'm going to be on a short vacation (and parts have to come in, everything sold a bit too fast ;))

Also, thanks to everyone for being so helpful and friendly in the thread!

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

As an owner of a Razer Orange switch keyboard I can confirm my zxcv keys no longer have a noticeable tactile bump. They feel like something between a broken red and black switch. Switching to QS1 keyboard in near future.
My keyboard uses browns and my wasd feels pretty worn out in comparison to my less used keys, too. Never even thought of that as a potential issue with the tactile switches.

Yazawa wrote:

Okay, so I ordered the keypad around last week and according to the tracking service, it said that it delivered yesterday to my friend's house (had it shipped to him so he could give it to me afterwards) but when I asked him today if he had it, he said that he never got it (wat) http://puu.sh/gQm5o/0c2fd203a5.jpg

hopefully nothing else bad happens and i eventually get it :?

Edit: okay the package just came a day late >:3 gonna get it tomorrow and will mess around with it during school and i'll leave my opinions, etc \:D/
That had me worried for a sec. Glad everything worked out and I hope you like it!

Edit: Something I've been working on recently. I don't know if I'd ever make this a product I sell, but the development can help with future projects and boards I might use for a higher polling rate model (teensy alternative since teensies are a bit too expensive to be viable.)

IH_

Thnikk wrote:

Everything on the shop is going to be down for the next few days as I'm going to be on a short vacation (and parts have to come in, everything sold a bit too fast ;))

Also, thanks to everyone for being so helpful and friendly in the thread!
Damn, and I was about to buy one :c

I'll just have to wait. Have a good vacation!
Storb
Any chance on releasing a guide on how to remap the keys each button is bound to (including escape, if possible)?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
I finished a special keypad I made for my friend today. It's using a Pro Trinket which has a lot more pins for buttons and analog pins for controlling LED brightness, but is still using USB 1.1 so the polling rate is still capped at 125. This is what I've been working on in all of my previous videos. It has four lighting modes-- "reactive" fade-out, on, off, and "breathe". I would like to eventually have a higher polling rate model with all of these lighting effects, but I'm trying to find a nice alternative board to a Teensy to avoid adding $13 to the cost, thus adding $13 to the price. If anyone was actually interested in this model in the video just for the lighting effects, let me know. The price would be ~$35 WITHOUT keycaps, plus the usual $1 for white DSA, $7 for keypop doubleshot, etc.

inohdtx wrote:

Damn, and I was about to buy one :c

I'll just have to wait. Have a good vacation!
Thanks a lot! Went to SoCal and had a lot of fun with the Project Diva arcade :)

I'm planning on having everything back up by the end of the week, probably sooner. I'm out of shipping boxes which is kind of a big deal...

Storb wrote:

Any chance on releasing a guide on how to remap the keys each button is bound to (including escape, if possible)?
I'm going to start working on that next while I have some down time. I'm hoping to have it done before all of my parts come in, but if I don't it might get pushed back up a bit. I don't think it'll be that much work though, so probably by tomorrow or Wednesday.
Nantakuuu

Thnikk wrote:

I finished a special keypad I made for my friend today. It's using a Pro Trinket which has a lot more pins for buttons and analog pins for controlling LED brightness, but is still using USB 1.1 so the polling rate is still capped at 125. This is what I've been working on in all of my previous videos. It has four lighting modes-- "reactive" fade-out, on, off, and "breathe". I would like to eventually have a higher polling rate model with all of these lighting effects, but I'm trying to find a nice alternative board to a Teensy to avoid adding $13 to the cost, thus adding $13 to the price. If anyone was actually interested in this model in the video just for the lighting effects, let me know. The price would be ~$35 WITHOUT keycaps, plus the usual $1 for white DSA, $7 for keypop doubleshot, etc.

Dude! You should totally do these, I haven't order one of your keypads yet because they always sell out when I get paid. Unlucky timing I guess, but if you do these custom orders, I'm down to buy it. I want the nice keycaps in the video too.

How much do you think it would be? Man, I'm going broke for osu.
IH_

Thnikk wrote:

Thanks a lot! Went to SoCal and had a lot of fun with the Project Diva arcade :)

I'm planning on having everything back up by the end of the week, probably sooner. I'm out of shipping boxes which is kind of a big deal...
That's nice to hear dude! (Although I'm not too familiar with Project Diva hehe)

Can't wait for weekend then! I hope you get those shipping boxes too :o

Cheers.
show more