forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Caeh
Ordered mine yesterday. I already have blue switches but i don't like the tactile bump for osu. Thought this would be a better idea than having to buy another keyboard just for osu. :)
chanhien
May get this after VN new year if the shipping didn't cost half the price of the keypad >_>
Topic Starter
Thnikk
I've gotten some emails and PMs asking about pricing and shipping, so just to clear things up I'd like to say this:

I will only take custom orders through pm/email for things I don't already offer through Etsy. They only take a 3.5% cut (I'm used to ebay's 10% so that's nothing in comparison) and simplify the transaction a lot, so I'd like to use it whenever possible.

Kachemine wrote:

Ordered mine yesterday. I already have blue switches but i don't like the tactile bump for osu. Thought this would be a better idea than having to buy another keyboard just for osu. :)
Thanks for posting! It's nice to know when people are from the forum :D

chanhien wrote:

May get this after VN new year if the shipping didn't cost half the price of the keypad >_>
I wish I could do something about it, but international shipping isn't cheap, even for small and light things.

It's better than express shipping from Japan to the US (a lot heavier but still) :?

SupraKyun
Yea from US to France, added like 7euro just for shipping xD.
Te Amo
If anyone is interested in seeing more gameplay with the keypad, My friend [Rank 33k] came over and i had him play with it for a while :D https://osu.ppy.sh/u/fernan12
ztrot
if you could custom make me some mlp keys i might be interested in picking one up
ZenithPhantasm

ztrot wrote:

if you could custom make me some mlp keys i might be interested in picking one up
Pony swag
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Batch #1 is all gone! Thank you guys so much for your support! :D

Parts for the next batch are on their way and it should be up within the next week. I've bumped the length of the cables up to 6 feet and I'll spend the week experimenting with some new methods of keeping the keypads from moving around on your desk.

Still messing around with the teensy and got the LEDs to fade out properly today! It's not that amazing but I'm proud of myself. Since I have some leftover keyswitches I'm going to see what I can do with an 8-10 key keypad with the teensy.

KevEz wrote:

If anyone is interested in seeing more gameplay with the keypad, My friend [Rank 33k] came over and i had him play with it for a while :D https://osu.ppy.sh/u/fernan12
[video]
...I don't play well under pressure. I hope your friend wasn't with you when you were spectating me :(

Thanks for another video!

ztrot wrote:

The keypads use cherry mx keyswitches and I offer a no keycaps option on etsy, so if you could find them you could put them on. Since keycaps are personal (even more so for a 2 key thing,) I want to leave any choices beyond what I offer up to the buyer. I welcome suggestions for my own stock but only if they seem like something everyone would like. I'm content with my current offerings and I don't really plan on changing them too much.

By the way, thank you very much to Dreamify for the wonderful review on etsy!
SupraKyun
I just received it and tested it for 10min! Very fast delivery! It seems very awesome! Also for your message it is "Bonjour! Merci pour ton achat"
Almost right, you wrote: "Bonjour! Merci pour son achat" xD

So i sticked it to my old mousepad and it is working fine, i tell you more later! Np for the support :3
crud41
What are you using for the board/where did you get it?
SupraKyun
what do you mean by "what are you using for the board?"
I got it from his shop when he was selling the first batch on etsy? xD
crud41

SupraKyun wrote:

I mean what is he using for input (What PCB board) is being using within the keypad? Like arduino for example.
Deimos

crud41 wrote:

SupraKyun wrote:

I mean what is he using for input (What PCB board) is being using within the keypad? Like arduino for example.

Adafruit Trinket - Mini Microcontroller - 5V Logic
Topic Starter
Thnikk

SupraKyun wrote:

I just received it and tested it for 10min! Very fast delivery! It seems very awesome! Also for your message it is "Bonjour! Merci pour ton achat"
Almost right, you wrote: "Bonjour! Merci pour son achat" xD

So i sticked it to my old mousepad and it is working fine, i tell you more later! Np for the support :3
Darn, I almost got it. Glad you like it so far!

Deimos wrote:

Adafruit Trinket - Mini Microcontroller - 5V Logic
and it's available here ;)
Te Amo
ive recently started to feel delay/lag on the keypad might be my computers problem but thought id just mention it.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
New batch is up! Prices are down by a dollar since I unfortunately had to omit the clear switch tops :(

On the bright side, cables are now 6 feet long and the tape won't rip parts of your desk off (and you can clean it!)

KevEz wrote:

ive recently started to feel delay/lag on the keypad might be my computers problem but thought id just mention it.
The polling rate should be the same as your old one so maybe you're just getting better ;)
Nameless
Although this is a great idea and I'm sure this will/has sold pretty well, doesn't it move a bit when you hit the keys? You could add some grip so this doesn't happen, but hey, this is still a prototype product.
Te Amo

MintLatios wrote:

Although this is a great idea and I'm sure this will/has sold pretty well, doesn't it move a bit when you hit the keys? You could add some grip so this doesn't happen, but hey, this is still a prototype product.
Not as shaky as you think it would be after getting used to it,

On a side note, More boring gameplay with the keypad.
ZenithPhantasm

Thnikk wrote:

KevEz wrote:

The polling rate should be the same as your old one so maybe you're just getting better ;)
Topic Starter
Thnikk

MintLatios wrote:

I'll add an FAQ to the OP soon.

KevEz wrote:

Not as shaky as you think it would be after getting used to it,

On a side note, More boring gameplay with the keypad.
It's really cool to see someone doing this with something I made :lol:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

It's true!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Hey guys, just wanted to post to say I'm not dead. Everything's been going well and the last batch sold out within a week, so I bumped up the quantity of the next batch to 20 and I'm now waiting for the last parts to come in. I should have batch 3 up within the next week.

Here's a preview ;)
Aerislol
Awesome!
i sent you an email earlier, can´t wait to test this out.
DeletedUser_3905941
buying two of these could get you a high quality 21 key keypad
buying three of these could get you a low budget cherry keyboard
im not trying to stop your sales, but it doesn't make sense to me buying a 2 key usb input for £20. i dont know if it's because of shipping rates or whatever, but damn its too expensive.
ZenithPhantasm

RedPanda wrote:

im not trying to stop your sales, but it doesn't make sense to me buying a 2 key usb input for £20. i dont know if it's because of shipping rates or whatever, but damn its too expensive.
You only need two keys for standard, four keys for taiko, three keys for CTB,
DeletedUser_3905941

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

You only need two keys for standard, four keys for taiko, three keys for CTB,
your point?
cheezstik

RedPanda wrote:

Just call me thnikk's osu keypad salesman, but it's cos if you really don't need the mechanical keys for anything else other than osu standard, then you only need 2 keys. No point paying more than double the price for an extra 100 keys you don't need. Plus, the portability of this thing paired with a laptop as opposed to a whole mech kb / numpad + laptop could be another good point about it.
DeletedUser_3905941

cheezstik wrote:

Just call me thnikk's osu keypad salesman, but it's cos if you really don't need the mechanical keys for anything else other than osu standard, then you only need 2 keys. No point paying more than double the price for an extra 100 keys you don't need. Plus, the portability of this thing paired with a laptop as opposed to a whole mech kb / numpad + laptop could be another good point about it.
indeed. i was probably thinking that a keypad serves as a multiple purposes, and a mech keyboard even more. if you want a solution just for playing osu then this is a good choice. it doesn't seem like a suitable option for me though tbh
Topic Starter
Thnikk

RedPanda wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

indeed. i was probably thinking that a keypad serves as a multiple purposes, and a mech keyboard even more. if you want a solution just for playing osu then this is a good choice. it doesn't seem like a suitable option for me though tbh
I'd still like to make an FAQ but I haven't had a whole lot of time recently. Here's a post I made in the noodlefighter thread in response to a similar question:

Thnikk wrote:

byfar wrote:

2 keys for 25 dollars. Man I'd rather get me an 108key all purpose mech kb for 100
-This isn't really something anyone needs to play osu, it's just a nice luxury hardware accessory to have.

-I have a mechanical keyboard, but to use it when playing osu means I have to reach past my tablet to play which is uncomfortable.

-I wouldn't necessarily say a mechanical keyboard is inherently better for playing the game when accounting for travel distance. Especially when playing a game like this, it's very difficult to not bottom out the keys with a linear keyswitch since there's no bump. If you have this in mind when shopping for a keyboard, you could get tactile switches, but even then it's still somewhat difficult to discern the actuation point in the heat of the game. I haven't included this in the product description (because I forgot) but I include two 2 mm o-rings (so 4 mm total) to lower the travel distance to just a little bit after the actuation point, which should make them a lot easier to hit in quick sequence.

-Reducing wear on your keyboard. It would suck to be typing and find out that your z or x keys stopped working.

-Portability if you move around a lot/have multiple computers.

-Customization without having to buy a whole set of keycaps.

If it seems cost prohibitive, keep in mind that I'm just making these for fun and not really making much of a profit. They do take time to make and I don't want to outsource to child labor :(
ZenithPhantasm
Thnikk you should also include these in your pitch:
- No more letters wearing off because of osu
- Doubleshot keycaps
- Backlight (swag)
Elric
I've been searching for one like this for a long time, and I guess I did.
Sent an email and waiting for answer :)
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Hello everyone! The keypads are back up on my shop.

I've gotten a lot of emails for this batch asking when they will be available, so I've made a newsletter here: [link]
This should make it a lot easier to let everyone know instead of trying to separately manage Etsy messages, PMs here, emails, and twitter.

The only major addition to this batch is the new keyswitch options. You can now choose between the 4 major Cherry MX keyswitch variants as well as greens and clears! This is also a batch of 20 instead of the previous batches of 10, so it shouldn't sell out quite as quickly.

I'm also working on my website so I can have a page that shows information and pricing when they're out of stock on Etsy (since I can't leave the page up for a sold out item, weird.) I'm hoping to have that up within the next few days but it's mainly a priority for when they sell out.

Elric wrote:

I've been searching for one like this for a long time, and I guess I did.
Sent an email and waiting for answer :)
Replied! :D
DoodleBlob
Ordered myself one, will take a while to arrive as I live in the UK. Cannot wait to test it out, must be better than my current membrane keyboard. I will probably leave a quick review either here or on Etsy once I had enough time to test it!
Elric
I wish I had a paypal account to get this, unfortunaly I still don't have a credit card.
Still trying to make a deal with thnikk to buy this, really excited.
Te Amo

Elric wrote:

I wish I had a paypal account to get this, unfortunaly I still don't have a credit card.
go out and buy a prepaid gift card :)
ZenithPhantasm

KevEz wrote:

Elric wrote:

^^^^^^^ 4.95$ fee tho
Elric

KevEz wrote:

I never saw one here so idk..
Yuudachi-kun

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

^^^^^^^ 4.95$ fee tho
Just deal with it like I Do.
ZenithPhantasm

Kheldragar wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

^^^^^^^ 4.95$ fee tho
Just deal with it like I Do.
I have my own debit card. Hbu?
Yuudachi-kun
I'm perfectly fine without one and $5 fees are nothing. It's a third of a large pizza.
Nocookies4u
Im so very hyped to get this but just cant bring myself to pay like $41 for that cute arse heart sign ugh why you do this to my wallet ;~; I have to decide between buying a crappyish tablet and this or buying a good ta- nvm in the middle of writing this i decided im buying one of these anyway i remembered the backlight good job making an irresistible product @_@ also firstpostonfourmsyay (i think?)
show more