forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Aibhin23 wrote:

Does this device help with how fast you can push the buttons?

I think I am going to get myself one these for the holiday. I’ve been playing osu with my bad keyboard for the past two years and I feel like it is partially holding me back with how long it takes to press the keys. I was looking for something custom made for osu and happened to stumble across this promising device.
I would definitely say you could see an improvement if what you're currently using is holding you back. This is what I generally say for any "gaming" peripherals. Going from rubber dome to mechanical does help quite a bit, and f you have a mechanical keyboard with blues or browns and you don't like them for osu, you'll probably also see an improvement moving to linear switches like DEAR SPARK (or moving to lighter switches if you have bad stamina.)

Where you wouldn't see any improvement is going from the LED to the RGB model, it just looks cooler :P

NyteShadows wrote:

For anyone who has issues with the tape not being sticky anymore:
Try using some rubbing alcohol on it.

My keypad wouldn't stay still anymore, the thing would slide a mile away as I tried to hit the pause button during my farming LOL. What I did was put some rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip, and cleaned the bottom of the tape with it.

Worked like a charm, and the tape is as good as brand new. 8-)
Have you seen my guide (posted in the OP)? I say to use water here as I'd be afraid of rubbing alcohol removing the adhesive.
NyteShadows

Thnikk wrote:

Have you seen my guide (posted in the OP)? I say to use water here as I'd be afraid of rubbing alcohol removing the adhesive.
Yeah, I've been doing the water thing for a while, but the thing is that it still actually wore off over time (not sure if related to water or not), but searched up how to make double sided tape sticky again, and I read that rubbing alcohol works. Surprisingly, it pretty much makes it stick like it's brand new again. I guess I would suggest using a minimal amount on the Q-Tip to avoid removing the adhesive. Mine is still stuck on perfectly fine, but I'll update whether it affects it or not in the future.
Miralyn
Sent you a PM.
The Gambler
Your greatest challenge awaits. Build a mania controller :)

Pictures moved to Art forums
Topic Starter
Thnikk

NyteShadows wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

Yeah, I've been doing the water thing for a while, but the thing is that it still actually wore off over time (not sure if related to water or not), but searched up how to make double sided tape sticky again, and I read that rubbing alcohol works. Surprisingly, it pretty much makes it stick like it's brand new again. I guess I would suggest using a minimal amount on the Q-Tip to avoid removing the adhesive. Mine is still stuck on perfectly fine, but I'll update whether it affects it or not in the future.
I'll try this out the next time mine wears out. Thanks for the tip, I'll add it to the guide if it works :D

The Gambler wrote:

Your greatest challenge awaits. Build a mania controller :)

Pardon my use of Sketchup. My Autodesk skills are non-existent.
I'm actually thinking about getting a 3d printer for myself for chirstmas. I don't play osumania so I haven't bothered making one, but maybe doing something with some 1.5 and 2x DSA keycaps could be fun. I've also been playing with fusion 360 lately so maybe I'll try to throw something together myself :)
The Gambler
DEAR SPARK
The Gambler
At this point I'm just gonna move my pictures to Art forums in the hopes of avoiding the imminent thread lock.

Pls respect this thread as it is one of the more serious ones in G&R
autoteleology
-
The Gambler
It just occurred to me that one can simply reskin a pop'n music controller with osu! graphics to make a mania controller.
Gray766
The keypad finally arrived! But Im having trouble making it work. It seems as though my computer doesn't detect it. help!

edit: The keypad is listed as "arduino leonardo" under other devices on device manager. Ive tried different usb ports and using a different cable but it still doesnt work.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Supa hot fire wrote:

The keypad finally arrived! But Im having trouble making it work. It seems as though my computer doesn't detect it. help!

edit: The keypad is listed as "arduino leonardo" under other devices on device manager. Ive tried different usb ports and using a different cable but it still doesnt work.
PMed with fix, sorry ! :|
samotoda
Don't blast me on this because im too lazy to see if he's said this already, but how come most of the keypads are no longer for sale on the store?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

samotoda wrote:

Don't blast me on this because im too lazy to see if he's said this already, but how come most of the keypads are no longer for sale on the store?

Here you go :P
LeKekz
What switches do you prefer?
ZenithPhantasm
Optical>All
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 12/7

All black and pro micro models are back up! [shop]

LeKekz wrote:

What switches do you prefer?
Gateron clears are my favorites, followed by Gateron reds and Cherry MX reds.
ZenithPhantasm
Ever lubed your clears?
Pituophis

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Optical>All
shitpost or confused?
ZenithPhantasm
Google A4Tech Optical Switch or Flaretech Optical Switch. Mech switches are an old design from 1980's.
Pituophis
I guess I'm the one who's confused.
Miralyn
Mine just came in today! I love the gateron clear switches already, a huge improvement over my cherry mx blues.
Thanks thnikk for the amazing keypads! :D
ZenithPhantasm

Pituophis wrote:

Niw you are less ignorant
KanoSet

Pituophis wrote:

google is your friend

Miralyn wrote:

i love the gateron clear switches already, a huge improvement over my cherry mx blues.
wai u do zis
Claire
The keypad was shipped to Finland in 10 days and I'm loving it so far. However this one problem came up just now; after four hours of gameplay, the other switch (which I tap more) is noticably harder to press than the other? It's not such a big deal as you don't notice it when playing, though I would like to fix this if possible.
EDIT: Okay, I can clearly feel it being harder. :L

Miralyn wrote:

Mine just came in today! I love the gateron clear switches already, a huge improvement over my cherry mx blues.
Basically this, a huge improvement from Cherry MX Blue to Gateron Clear. It is a bit weird at first but I'm getting used to it!
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Miiqa wrote:

The keypad was shipped to Finland in 10 days and I'm loving it so far. However this one problem came up just now; after four hours of gameplay, the other switch (which I tap more) is noticably harder to press than the other? It's not such a big deal as you don't notice it when playing, though I would like to fix this if possible.
EDIT: Okay, I can clearly feel it being harder. :L

Miralyn wrote:

Basically this, a huge improvement from Cherry MX Blue to Gateron Clear. It is a bit weird at first but I'm getting used to it!
PMed with fix! :)
Zenyatta
Hey peeps,

one quick question. Got the Basic Keypad and it just doesnt work on windows 10. it worked before on it. I plug it in, it doesnt even blink red and just goes green and windows says its not working. Code 43. looked it up and didnt help. :x
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 12/27/2015

-The shop is back up with black RGB Keypads (glow in the dark keypads are back too!) There are 5 in stock so they'll last as long as they last, but everything will be back up by the end of this week/the beginning of next week.

-Giveaway is still going on! Post in this thread to enter: t/397995/start=75

CrsTramorio wrote:

Hey peeps,

one quick question. Got the Basic Keypad and it just doesnt work on windows 10. it worked before on it. I plug it in, it doesnt even blink red and just goes green and windows says its not working. Code 43. looked it up and didnt help. :x
resolved via PM :P
Pituophis
geez, They're already gone :/
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Pituophis wrote:

geez, They're already gone :/
Yep, I blinked and they're all gone. The last parts are scheduled to arrive by next Tuesday (curse you, national holidays!) so that's when I should have everything back up :)
Qenomo
What was the fix to the switch becoming harder to press?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 1/2/2016
I hit 600 sales for 2015! Absolutely incredible. I started this out just thinking I was going to make one for myself, but I'm so happy that I was able to make keypads for 600 people. I would like to take a moment to thank you all for supporting me and say what my plans are for the beginning of the year:

-Make an osu!mania and taiko controller (with the advent of a 3d printer to help with the enclosures)

-Make a wireless keypad that doesn't suck

-Add RGBW LEDs to my rgb keypads for better whites and simplified code

-More that I'm forgetting right now

Qenomo wrote:

What was the fix to the switch becoming harder to press?
I think it came down to the way they were being pressed. Pulling down a bit (towards you) causes a lot more resistance in the switch, but they aren't really meant to be pressed like that.
KanoSet
wew thnikk is going serious :D
the wireless would be perfecr with the idea of the keypad purpose but i'm not sure about the latency tho
gl
The Gambler
Oh shit Thnikk is going for the mania controller.... Ganbatte
Not Jeef
Hit me up with those sexy RGB key caps

(I want those key caps)
Chyo-Kun
A mania controller would be awesome.

I'm guessing you're going for a classic 8 key controller without the beatmania style spinner (that would be hard to make)
Do you have any idea how the keys are going to be configured? Since there are a lot of styles

If you don't get what I mean:

http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2339078/ Arcade

http://cdn.overclock.net/a/a0/a0f0e028_ ... style.jpeg Korean

http://cdn.overclock.net/b/bd/bdb6b990_ ... oning.jpeg Hybrid

http://cdn.overclock.net/0/0d/0d2f538f_ ... style.jpeg Dexterity / "AEXFJI"

http://cdn.overclock.net/9/9c/9c88c1c7_ ... oplay.jpeg Full Arcade
The Gambler

Chyo-Kun wrote:

-snip-
Like this:

or this:

Or whatever Thnikk comes up with... He did say something about rendering in Fusion or something..

I'd say the hardest part is getting the casing. I'm sure there are shops that cut sheet acrylic though.
Chyo-Kun

The Gambler wrote:

Chyo-Kun wrote:

-snip-
Like this:

or this:

Or whatever Thnikk comes up with... He did say something about rendering in Fusion or something..

I'd say the hardest part is getting the casing. I'm sure there are shops that cut sheet acrylic though.
Holy, those casings are so big.
I honestly think that if he's going for an 8 straight key desing, a longer type of the Osu!standard one with 8 keys with a little space in the middle would do the trick, those looks sooo expensive to make and ship around. I wouldn't buy it if it costed more than a standard beatmania controller
Cataclysm
I ordered the keypad but unfortunately I didn't get the keys. What???!?! I am 100% sure I ordered them as I have the receipt.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
The mania controller was definitely a plan for late-early 2016. I definitely want to make the taiko one first for simplicity's sake and trying out my ideas. I'm definitely leaning towards something smaller for the mania controller though, not arcade size.

Symacon wrote:

I ordered the keypad but unfortunately I didn't get the keys. What???!?! I am 100% sure I ordered them as I have the receipt.
The keycaps come in a bag NOT pre-attached to the keypad so maybe you missed them in the package. If that's not the case, can you message me on Etsy so I can see your order?
show more