forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
ZenithPhantasm
62g switches aren't that heavy. Fyi Omrons in most gaming mice that people consider soft and light are weighted at 75g if not higher.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 10/16/2015
This batch is sold out. I'd like to have batches of 25 once a week, but that would mean I'd have to order more parts around tuesday/wednesday of the week before. Still working out a better schedule so it might take me a week until today to get everything in, and I'm trying to keep my weekends open so I'll probably just wait until Monday the 26th to put the shop back up (all models will be back.) Again, thanks to everyone who's ordered. I just hit 450 sales which is absolutely incredible! :)

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

62g switches aren't that heavy. Fyi Omrons in most gaming mice that people consider soft and light are weighted at 75g if not higher.
Everything's heavy coming from Gateron clears. Even reds feel heavy now.
ZenithPhantasm

Thnikk wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Everything's heavy coming from Gateron clears. Even reds feel heavy now.

8-)
I Give Up

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

It is 75g if switch is bare but most mouse button are lever design so it feel softer.
The Gambler

KukiMonster wrote:

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

It is 75g if switch is bare but most mouse button are lever design so it feel softer.
If I recall switches from arcade boxes like Honeywell and Omron are significantly heavier than keyboard switches.

Like 80 g or higher.
puppy

The Gambler wrote:

If I recall switches from arcade boxes like Honeywell and Omron are significantly heavier than keyboard switches.

Like 80 g or higher.
IIRC, they usually use a combination of 50g / 75g omrons, with 100g springs.
ZenithPhantasm
http://www.gamo2.com/en/index.php?dispa ... uct_id=265
This would probably give someone nigh infinite stream stamina 8-)
DEAR SPARK
I think I should PM you about this one, Thnikk.

Update: Damn, you're quick to reply. Great support!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 10/22
Trinkets now use micro-usb which is a logistical positive for me (now I only need micro-usb cables!) This means that the basic and basic+ both have a micro-usb port now instead of mini. There's no other differences so the same code will still work, though there's not much to add in terms of functionality for these models.

Parts are still on their way and I'm sticking with the 26th for having everything back up.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

http://www.gamo2.com/en/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=265
This would probably give someone nigh infinite stream stamina 8-)
This is kind of how I felt with Gateron Clears when I first started using them. It was like pressing a button that didn't require any actual effort to press, almost like not pressing a button at all. 10g seems a bit low, though :P

Innovation wrote:

I think I should PM you about this one, Thnikk.
i got u :)
DiSSneyVACation
Yaay soon. Soon I can buy another Keypad :_>
Danger Melon
Do you carry gateron yellow, super black, or purple?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 10/26 (Did I used to include the year? Oh well.)
Shop is back up! The naming scheme has changed a little so I'll try to explain it quickly.

There are still four major models: the Basic osu! Keypad, Basic+ osu! Keypad, osu! Keypad, and RGB osu! Keypad. As you might have noticed, the white LED model has changed from the v2/v2.1 to just the osu! Keypad. This is to avoid confusion regarding which model is better by the v2.1 and 1.1 between it and the RGB model.

Now every model instead has (rX) in the title. This is there to show the revision number, which will be easier to manage and should be less confusing.

On the topic of revisions, every model has a new revision in this batch (and forward.) I've changed the pin for the side button on the LED models and the basic and basic+ models now use the new updated trinket with micro USB instead of mini. If you're having a hard time following, the RGB has gone from 1.1 to r2, the v2.1 has become the osu! Keypad (r2), and the basic and basic+ have had (r1) added to their names.

Danger Melon wrote:

Do you carry gateron yellow, super black, or purple?
No and I don't think I plan to, sorry. I'm sure there would be a few people interested, but ordering x amount from another site, having to deal with either paying for a lot and having them sit here for months or paying a lot for a few and charging people the same amount, is just too much to handle. I'd be willing to have them sent to me if you have them on hand, though (for a slight discount, switches aren't a big part of cost.)
Danger Melon

Thnikk wrote:

No and I don't think I plan to, sorry. I'm sure there would be a few people interested, but ordering x amount from another site, having to deal with either paying for a lot and having them sit here for months or paying a lot for a few and charging people the same amount, is just too much to handle. I'd be willing to have them sent to me if you have them on hand, though (for a slight discount, switches aren't a big part of cost.)
Oh well :(
DEAR SPARK

Now to just keep my fucking arm from having spasms and shooting pains. StarCraft and Osu is really not a good combination of games.
ZenithPhantasm

Innovation wrote:

Now to just keep my fucking arm from having spasms and shooting pains. StarCraft and Osu is really not a good combination of games.
No pain no gain 8-)
- Shinjiteita -
Thnikk's a really friendly guy :)
Received mine a few days ago and I'm really happy with it. Great build quality!Sticking it to the edge of your desk makes it way easier to stream with than a regular keyboard IMO.

I r8 8/8 :D

Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 11/07

500 sales!

(And 60 reviews!)

Thank you guys so much. 500 is a huge milestone for me and I can tell you I definitely didn't think I'd have made 500 keypads at the beginning of the year. I really do enjoy doing this just to be able to give back to such a nice community. It's great having people to talk to in-game and hearing how happy you guys are to get your keypads. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and I'm very happy to be a part of it :)

Also, parts for the LED and RGB models are on their way and will hopefully be back up by the middle of the week. The basic and basic+ are available exclusively in white until my black cases come in (also around mid-next week.)
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 11/13

Everything's back in stock (except for glow in the dark keycaps.) There was also another slight name change from the osu! keypad (r2) -> LED osu! keypad (r2). Hopefully clears up some confusion.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 11/23

Reprogramming guide updated to include the LED and RGB r2 models
Sorry to anyone that was waiting! It's the same page for the other pro micro models [link]

Slight price drop for the LED and RGB models
The LED went from $31 to $28 and the RGB went from $35 to $32. I've been wanting to do this for a while to have smaller price jumps between models.

Working on a bluetooth prototype
Probably stupid because of latency but I figured it'd be a fun project :)

I'm also planning on using RGBW LEDs in it which may replace the LEDs in the current RGB model (though there's not much of a difference.)
ZenithPhantasm

Thnikk wrote:

Working on a bluetooth prototype
Probably stupid because of latency but I figured it'd be a fun project :)
Probably not a very good idea. Also many properly built desktops don't have bluetooth.
Gray766
Just purchased one. :)
Aibhin23
Does this device help with how fast you can push the buttons?

I think I am going to get myself one these for the holiday. I’ve been playing osu with my bad keyboard for the past two years and I feel like it is partially holding me back with how long it takes to press the keys. I was looking for something custom made for osu and happened to stumble across this promising device.
ZenithPhantasm
No it wont make you better but it will probably make it more fun because light up buttons are cool. The only way to improve in osu is the tried and proven method of playing the fucking game.
Parity
It depends on the switches you use, some are better for osu than others.
DEAR SPARK

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

No it wont make you better but it will probably make it more fun because light up buttons are cool. The only way to improve in osu is the tried and proven method of playing the fucking game.
switching from blues to gateron reds brought my rank up about 20,000 in a day
NyteShadows
For anyone who has issues with the tape not being sticky anymore:
Try using some rubbing alcohol on it.

My keypad wouldn't stay still anymore, the thing would slide a mile away as I tried to hit the pause button during my farming LOL. What I did was put some rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip, and cleaned the bottom of the tape with it.

Worked like a charm, and the tape is as good as brand new. 8-)
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Aibhin23 wrote:

Does this device help with how fast you can push the buttons?

I think I am going to get myself one these for the holiday. I’ve been playing osu with my bad keyboard for the past two years and I feel like it is partially holding me back with how long it takes to press the keys. I was looking for something custom made for osu and happened to stumble across this promising device.
I would definitely say you could see an improvement if what you're currently using is holding you back. This is what I generally say for any "gaming" peripherals. Going from rubber dome to mechanical does help quite a bit, and f you have a mechanical keyboard with blues or browns and you don't like them for osu, you'll probably also see an improvement moving to linear switches like DEAR SPARK (or moving to lighter switches if you have bad stamina.)

Where you wouldn't see any improvement is going from the LED to the RGB model, it just looks cooler :P

NyteShadows wrote:

For anyone who has issues with the tape not being sticky anymore:
Try using some rubbing alcohol on it.

My keypad wouldn't stay still anymore, the thing would slide a mile away as I tried to hit the pause button during my farming LOL. What I did was put some rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip, and cleaned the bottom of the tape with it.

Worked like a charm, and the tape is as good as brand new. 8-)
Have you seen my guide (posted in the OP)? I say to use water here as I'd be afraid of rubbing alcohol removing the adhesive.
NyteShadows

Thnikk wrote:

Have you seen my guide (posted in the OP)? I say to use water here as I'd be afraid of rubbing alcohol removing the adhesive.
Yeah, I've been doing the water thing for a while, but the thing is that it still actually wore off over time (not sure if related to water or not), but searched up how to make double sided tape sticky again, and I read that rubbing alcohol works. Surprisingly, it pretty much makes it stick like it's brand new again. I guess I would suggest using a minimal amount on the Q-Tip to avoid removing the adhesive. Mine is still stuck on perfectly fine, but I'll update whether it affects it or not in the future.
Miralyn
Sent you a PM.
The Gambler
Your greatest challenge awaits. Build a mania controller :)

Pictures moved to Art forums
Topic Starter
Thnikk

NyteShadows wrote:

Thnikk wrote:

Yeah, I've been doing the water thing for a while, but the thing is that it still actually wore off over time (not sure if related to water or not), but searched up how to make double sided tape sticky again, and I read that rubbing alcohol works. Surprisingly, it pretty much makes it stick like it's brand new again. I guess I would suggest using a minimal amount on the Q-Tip to avoid removing the adhesive. Mine is still stuck on perfectly fine, but I'll update whether it affects it or not in the future.
I'll try this out the next time mine wears out. Thanks for the tip, I'll add it to the guide if it works :D

The Gambler wrote:

Your greatest challenge awaits. Build a mania controller :)

Pardon my use of Sketchup. My Autodesk skills are non-existent.
I'm actually thinking about getting a 3d printer for myself for chirstmas. I don't play osumania so I haven't bothered making one, but maybe doing something with some 1.5 and 2x DSA keycaps could be fun. I've also been playing with fusion 360 lately so maybe I'll try to throw something together myself :)
The Gambler
DEAR SPARK
The Gambler
At this point I'm just gonna move my pictures to Art forums in the hopes of avoiding the imminent thread lock.

Pls respect this thread as it is one of the more serious ones in G&R
autoteleology
-
The Gambler
It just occurred to me that one can simply reskin a pop'n music controller with osu! graphics to make a mania controller.
Gray766
The keypad finally arrived! But Im having trouble making it work. It seems as though my computer doesn't detect it. help!

edit: The keypad is listed as "arduino leonardo" under other devices on device manager. Ive tried different usb ports and using a different cable but it still doesnt work.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Supa hot fire wrote:

The keypad finally arrived! But Im having trouble making it work. It seems as though my computer doesn't detect it. help!

edit: The keypad is listed as "arduino leonardo" under other devices on device manager. Ive tried different usb ports and using a different cable but it still doesnt work.
PMed with fix, sorry ! :|
samotoda
Don't blast me on this because im too lazy to see if he's said this already, but how come most of the keypads are no longer for sale on the store?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

samotoda wrote:

Don't blast me on this because im too lazy to see if he's said this already, but how come most of the keypads are no longer for sale on the store?

Here you go :P
show more