forum

thnikk's Osu! Keypads [Development]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Thnikk

MeanDeer wrote:

I've had it for about two months. I washed the tape once after it got dirty.
You should be able to wash it again and again and still be okay. If they do ever wear out after repeatedly cleaning them, all you have to look for is Scotch Restickable Tabs at your local office supply store. I use the 1x1" ones cut in half, but the 1/2"x1/2" ones would work too, just not as well. If you can't find them in any store or don't have any office supply stores near you, you can get a value pack on Walmart's website for around $5 with 27 tabs.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Kaoru wrote:

Hey, I'm actually curious if you PCB/ solder mount these, since I'd like to try interchanging my own switches on these
I think you mean PCB or plate mount. Im 99.9% sure Thnikk uses PCB mounted switches.
The switches themselves are pcb-mount but they're closer to plate-mounted. If you wanted to replace the switches, all you should need is your switches, a soldering iron, and a hot glue gun. Since you'd need a soldering iron to remove pcb-mounted switches, I can't imagine you'd run into any problems ;)

It's not ideal for me to be gluing the switches in, but hot glue is VERY easy to remove with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and a hot glue gun only costs ~$2.50 at most craft stores, so I'd rather have them solid on the unit than try to cut my cases with machine precision (by hand,) especially considering how easy it is to replace.

danteelesh wrote:

how much is this keypad+shipping ? cuz its out of stock on the website
Prices are available here for now: [link]

For all of the models that say keycaps aren't included in price, it's $1 for the white or red & blue DSA keycaps and goes up to I believe $8 for doubleshot keypop keycaps.

Edit: Shipping also not included which is $5 to the US and $10 everywhere else.
-Raiz

danteelesh wrote:

how much is this keypad+shipping ? cuz its out of stock on the website
Prices are available here for now: [link]

For all of the models that say keycaps aren't included in price, it's $1 for the white or red & blue DSA keycaps and goes up to I believe $8 for doubleshot keypop keycaps.

Edit: Shipping also not included which is $5 to the US and $10 everywhere else.[/quote]

when will you restock the keypads ?
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Brightness can now be changed on the RGB 1.1 between 20 and 100%!
Still contemplating whether I want to leave the option on every LED mode besides custom or not. It's changed the same way colors are changed on custom, but I might make the LEDs white to show the brightness after the two blinks, then back to normal when the side button is released. This way it can be available on all of them without any confusion as to the current brightness which can come up on the BPM mode, since no keys are detected as being pressed. Most of what I said probably sounds like gibberish but if one person who owns one understands, good enough.

The code will be updated on the website tomorrow after I work out the last kink. The change will also be made to the original RGB hopefully within the next few days unless I get terribly busy, but it will still be top priority regardless.

-Raiz wrote:

when will you restock the keypads ?
We already talked in-game but for anyone else interested I'm hoping to be back up tomorrow or Saturday, depending on when the last parts I need come in. It should be tomorrow.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Hello everyone! Time for a small update since I haven't made a post in over a week.

Update 8/15/15
I restocked on Gateron clears and got some Gateron blues in for the first time. After playing with them for a bit, I do really like them. It's hard to say if I think they're better for osu than Cherry's since I don't think any tactile switches make much sense considering how violently people slam their keys down, but I do think they feel better. The slightly higher actuation point and the characteristic smoothness of Gateron switches really doesn't make them a pleasure to use, albeit maybe better on an actual keyboard. If you are interested in blues on a keypad though, this is definitely a nice addition to the current switch lineup!

Keypads are down again. I'm waiting on microcontrollers for the v2.1 and RGB that should come in by around Wednesday as well as black cases that should be in around the same time. If anyone noticed, I did add an option for a white case, which I'll be changing a bit. Etsy limits you to two variations per listing (which is currently occupied by switches and keycaps on most of my models,) so I'm going to have black and white as different listings. The only problem here is that I need product shots which I need actual units for first, so I'm hoping to have time for that tomorrow after I finish today's orders and get white versions of the basic and basic+ up by Monday.

Brightness change for RGB 1.0 is still in the works but hopefully I'll have a little bit of time to work on it tomorrow and the code for the 1.1 hasn't gone up yet, but I'll do my best to get it up either today or tomorrow. Sorry to anyone that may have been waiting, I'll edit this post once I've done it. All keypads since my last post have shipped with the update, but I'd like to add some documentation to the shop page as well as the website.

tl;dr Gateron blues are nice and white models of everything are coming.

Edit: Updated code for the RGB 1.1 is up on the site now.
ChokeMeister
Hello, I've been playing osu! on a laptop keyboard for about 10 months now and am currently at 13k. I am pretty good for a laptop user but my streaming and singletap stamina and accuracy is so horrible compared to my aim that it is holding me back a lot. I have been looking at these for quite a while and I am planning on purchasing one very soon! It is quite expensive, ~$30 for 2 keys and a button, but I understand that it's a homemade item and it takes time, effort, and labor to make each individual one. I just don't want to spend $100-200 on a full mechanical keyboard, so I am going with one of these! Plus a keyboard won't fit on my desk with my laptop here, so I don't really have a choice :D . But yeah, product looks great, quality, the reviews are great, can't wait to get one of these!
iTurret
I've ordered a Basic+ with cherry reds and i'm waiting for the keypad to be delivered to germany :D Can't wait to finally be able to try how mx reds feel :P
quattro cani

hammerschuss wrote:

I've ordered a Basic+ with cherry reds and i'm waiting for the keypad to be delivered to germany :D Can't wait to finally be able to try how mx reds feel :P
Did you buy it today? I'm also looking for one but it seems to be out of stock.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

SLG3 wrote:

Did you buy it today? I'm also looking for one but it seems to be out of stock.
All models should be back up tomorrow (but waiting on keycaps so the variety might be a little limited for the next week.)
NyteShadows
Just ordered a Basic+ with MX Reds as well! Excited for them to get here! 8-)
Wasn't excited about Canada's terrible exchange rate though LOL
-Makishima S-
Hi Thnikk,

I tryed to contact with you via your contact form on web but maybe something went wrong.
My question is - it is possible to you to make bigger spread on keypad for player who use Ring + Index finger?
Checked on normal mechanical keyboard and using normal spread z/x hurts, i still need to use z/c or a/d.

Thanks for feedback.
Keep up great job sir!
Topic Starter
Thnikk

NyteShadows wrote:

Just ordered a Basic+ with MX Reds as well! Excited for them to get here! 8-)
Wasn't excited about Canada's terrible exchange rate though LOL
I actually saw it a few days ago and ouch, I'm sorry.

[Taiga] wrote:

Hi Thnikk,

I tryed to contact with you via your contact form on web but maybe something went wrong.
My question is - it is possible to you to make bigger spread on keypad for player who use Ring + Index finger?
Checked on normal mechanical keyboard and using normal spread z/x hurts, i still need to use z/c or a/d.

Thanks for feedback.
Keep up great job sir!
Sorry, I got that message at a very busy time but that contact form does work. PMed! :)
Mr MuZhiE

SomeLoli wrote:

PremiumRich wrote:

PS/2 connectors are pretty old and modern machines don't have them.
what? all modern machines have them. Even Asus lastest version of its Rampage Extreme range has a ps/2 port
i got the v2.1 one but there were no drivers. can someone send me some? (sorry for bothering just you im new to forums xD)
Mr MuZhiE
I got the v2.1 keypad and it didnt have the drivers :C could someone plz send me like a link or anything? :D
-stratosphere-
I got the keynoard today and i am more than happy with it, keep up the good work !!
Topic Starter
Thnikk
The shop is still down until either later today or tomorrow. Just trying to work out some logistical stuff before I put everything back up.

Mr MuZhiE wrote:

I got the v2.1 keypad and it didnt have the drivers :C could someone plz send me like a link or anything? :D
Sorry for taking so long to respond to you on Etsy! There are no drivers and I've messaged you with all of the information you should need.

-stratosphere- wrote:

I got the keynoard today and i am more than happy with it, keep up the good work !!
Thank you, glad you like it! :)
Acme Deizd Void
Can't wait to buy it :D
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 8/31
Keypads are back up with white models added to the shop!

Nothing else but maybe stuff in the works ;)
ChokeMeister
Hey Thnikk, I sent you a PM. Please read it :)
Camimaou
Hey, what's the difference between Basic & 1.1 version of the keyboard, please ?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

-[CoalMiester]- wrote:

Hey Thnikk, I sent you a PM. Please read it :)
I did at least read it when i read the post, it just took a while to respond :P

Again, sorry for the late reply!

Camimaou wrote:

Hey, what's the difference between Basic & 1.1 version of the keyboard, please ?
I'd just like to clarify at the beginning here that the keypads are not ordered numerically. They go in this order, from least to most features:

Basic: A simple 2-key keypad with a polling rate of 125hz.

Basic+: A simple 2-key keypad with a side button for pausing your game with a polling rate of 125hz (side button is remappable.)

v2.1: Same as the basic+ but with white LEDs with 5 different LED modes. It also has a polling rate of 1000hz instead of 125hz like the cheaper models.

RGB (1.1): Same as the v2.1 but with RGB lighting instead of white.

The .x is the revision number so you know what code to use on my website. You can check out and compare the LED modes between the two models from this page here: [link]
nebbii
how much for a 7+1k or 14key one
Miralyn
When is the shop coming back up? Labor day weekend is over
Topic Starter
Thnikk
The shop will be down indefinitely. Just trying to work out some life stuff and I don't have a whole lot of time to work on keypads. I do hope to have it up soon though, hoping within the next week.

nebbii wrote:

how much for a 7+1k or 14key one
I've said I was interested in doing this in the past, but I think it's just too much work for me with the way things are set up. Not within the near future.

Miralyn wrote:

When is the shop coming back up? Labor day weekend is over
Sorry, I know it's way past labor day now. I'll update the thread and the shop page.
Delk
So have you ever shipped one of these to Argentina? My country is kind of f*ked up when it comes to receiving products from the outside....
Sinpai
Will the shop be open any time soon? wanting to purchase one of these :) :x
ChokeMeister
Is it possible to swap out the switches on the keypad for a different one?
MxsicSlimx
Whens the shop up? :D
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Hello everyone!

I'm sorry for such a long break between updates (and to anyone who's been waiting for a PM reply here on the forum.)

The reason I started making these is because I wanted one and nobody was selling them. I put the time in to make my own and I thought it would be cool to share them with everyone. I had no plans for mass producing them or making any real money, but I did have cooler projects in mind for the future (like what is now the v2.1 and RGB.) Since I finished the RGB two things have happened. I haven't had any new keypad ideas that i thought were worth doing (things adding more keys and adding LED effects to the RGB) and I would spend 4-8 hours a day on orders. I only actually decided to sell these because I thought they were fun to make and make better, but it's hit the point where I'm just fulfilling orders and I don't have any time to develop anything anymore. This is why I've taken such a long break.

I still don't plan on stopping right away though. I have a lot of parts left over that I'd at least like to clear out first. I'm hoping to have the shop back up within the next week for what might be my last batch, though I'm not sure. Maybe I'll feel different after this one. I'll still be happy to help anyone with their potential problems or questions for modifications and such.

I really would like to thank everyone here from the forum for their tremendous support. I never thought that I'd ever hit 400 sales within 6 months and I couldn't have done it without you guys. I'm happy I got to make something that so many of you got to use and enjoy so thank you.

I'd also like to thank everyone for telling me that they're interested via email, youtube, the forum, etsy, and anywhere else.

-[CoalMiester]- wrote:

Is it possible to swap out the switches on the keypad for a different one?

Thnikk wrote:

The switches themselves are pcb-mount but they're closer to plate-mounted. If you wanted to replace the switches, all you should need is your switches, a soldering iron, and a hot glue gun. Since you'd need a soldering iron to remove pcb-mounted switches, I can't imagine you'd run into any problems ;)

It's not ideal for me to be gluing the switches in, but hot glue is VERY easy to remove with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and a hot glue gun only costs ~$2.50 at most craft stores, so I'd rather have them solid on the unit than try to cut my cases with machine precision (by hand,) especially considering how easy it is to replace.
puppy
I hope I get into the last batch. Thanks for doing what you've been doing :)
Sinpai
Hope i get into that last batch also :c
Topic Starter
Thnikk
UPDATE 10/12/2015

Okay guys, the shop is back up. I've decided on a few things:

1) This probably won't be the last batch, so you shouldn't have to worry about getting in. My stock of everything is uneven and I'd like to get rid of everything on the last batch, so I'll probably have another 1-3 after this one.

2) International shipping has increased to $15 and Canadian shipping has increased to $10. I'm sorry about this, but I was losing $2.50 on shipping per order before (for months, almost half a year) and I had to bump it up.

3) Not immediately, but I might just aim for selling 20-25 a week and then take the shop down until the next week to avoid getting overwhelmed. We'll see how it goes for now.

Also, my website has been updated to be a little less ugly and I added a little bit of information. If you'd like to preview the lighting effects, reprogram your keypad, clean the tape on your keypad, or see a short FAQ, please check it out: [link]
Sinpai
Just ordered mine! Thanks alot for your hard work on these
puppy
Ordered. :)
Camimaou
Hey, do you send it in Belgium ? I'm very interested, and Peppy's products are always out of stock. :o

EDIT: What is this size ? http://prntscr.com/8quh49
And what's the difference between RGB version, and Basic ?

Thank you. I'm surry if it was written.. :?

EDIT2: Last question.. haha. :lol:
Can I still buy an RGB osu! Keypad (1.1) ?
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Kamisole wrote:

Hey, do you send it in Belgium ? I'm very interested, and Peppy's products are always out of stock. :o

EDIT: What is this size ? http://prntscr.com/8quh49
And what's the difference between RGB version, and Basic ?

Thank you. I'm surry if it was written.. :?

EDIT2: Last question.. haha. :lol:
Can I still buy an RGB osu! Keypad (1.1) ?
I do ship to Belgium.

The port in the picture is mini-USB but the port depends on the model. The basic and basic+ use mini and the v2.1 and RGB use micro. This cannot be changed because they're attached to the microcontroller.

A feature list for the models can be found here and all of the led modes for the v2.1 and RGB can be seen here by clicking on the model you want to see.

The RGB is out of stock right now but I'm hoping to have it back up by around mid-next week.

puppy wrote:

Ordered. :)

Polyenso wrote:

Just ordered mine! Thanks alot for your hard work on these
Thank you guys! :)

Edit: I've changed the way white cases worked from this point on. You have to request a white case on whatever model you choose and if I run out of black cases I'll list the white models. This is for easier stock management since etsy isn't flexible enough.
Wingler
Got some Zelios today in the mail and decided to see how they would be on a classic V1 Keypad
I've only got to gluing them on the base, but once i get some solder going I can share some impressions on both the switch and gameplay in osu.
May plan on getting a RGB keypad to see how they'd look with the clear housing.
Camimaou
Hey, thanks for your answer.
But, by

Kamisole wrote:

What is this size ? http://prntscr.com/8quh49
, I mean the size of the keypad. Not the port. :D
Dunno if it's mention anywhere, I didn't see it.
Topic Starter
Thnikk

Wingler wrote:

Got some Zelios today in the mail and decided to see how they would be on a classic V1 Keypad
I've only got to gluing them on the base, but once i get some solder going I can share some impressions on both the switch and gameplay in osu.
May plan on getting a RGB keypad to see how they'd look with the clear housing.
These seem pretty interesting. They seem way too heavy for me to like them, but I might try to pick some up in a week or two to try out.

Kamisole wrote:

Hey, thanks for your answer.
But, by

Kamisole wrote:

What is this size ? http://prntscr.com/8quh49
, I mean the size of the keypad. Not the port. :D
Dunno if it's mention anywhere, I didn't see it.
Haha, sorry. Here are the dimensions from the product page (applicable for every model:):

// DIMENSIONS //
Length: 350mm
Width: 650mm (600mm without side button)
Height: 350mm (300mm without keycaps and 200mm without keyswitches)
ZenithPhantasm
62g switches aren't that heavy. Fyi Omrons in most gaming mice that people consider soft and light are weighted at 75g if not higher.
Topic Starter
Thnikk
Update 10/16/2015
This batch is sold out. I'd like to have batches of 25 once a week, but that would mean I'd have to order more parts around tuesday/wednesday of the week before. Still working out a better schedule so it might take me a week until today to get everything in, and I'm trying to keep my weekends open so I'll probably just wait until Monday the 26th to put the shop back up (all models will be back.) Again, thanks to everyone who's ordered. I just hit 450 sales which is absolutely incredible! :)

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

62g switches aren't that heavy. Fyi Omrons in most gaming mice that people consider soft and light are weighted at 75g if not higher.
Everything's heavy coming from Gateron clears. Even reds feel heavy now.
show more