forum

Is Osu! about memorizing or reflexes?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Mystearica
no
anonymous_old
There are two skills you're talking about here.

One is map reading. You must learn when to press the buttons. This comes both as a reflex (as the notes are approaching) and as memorization (if you have played the map before). Prediction is here too, but that goes with memorization in most cases (similar beat patterns).

The other is map playing. You must be able to press the buttons quickly enough after figuring out when to press them. This takes practice, obviously, and there are techniques to improve which you'll learn yourself. Lots of practice.

These two skills develop together but are still independent. To develop map reading, try playing songs with Hard Rock. To develop map playing, try playing songs with Double Time. That's how I'm improving. =]

Short answer: Yes.
Lybydose
I wouldn't recommend Hard Rock to improve with map reading. It makes maps easier to read, so it won't really help you. It will, however, improve your reflexes because you don't know where the next note is until RIGHT BEFORE YOU HAVE TO HIT IT.
anonymous_old

Lybydose wrote:

I wouldn't recommend Hard Rock to improve with map reading. It makes maps easier to read, so it won't really help you. It will, however, improve your reflexes because you don't know where the next note is until RIGHT BEFORE YOU HAVE TO HIT IT.
HR helps you read a map quicker. Most people read slowly, I think.
Torran
Yesno.
Zetta
There are some maps where reflexes and your gut instinct just take over but for the most part it's about timing and precision.
Derekku
Practice and sightreading.
Lunah_old
practice :)
Topic Starter
robryu
From the replies I've come to the conclusion that Osu! is about reflexes, since its possible to sightread/predict hard difficulty maps, and that ability involves reflexes (an action without thinking). (memorizing seems to be welcome too though)

And of course, to get that "godlike" ability you need to practice... alot... (I say godlike because it generally amazes spectators, and we'll be called n3rds/n0lif3rz :F xD) .

Thank you for the replies so far.

More are welcome and if I've come to the wrong conclusion correct me.
Sup A Noob
There are SOME songs where you do need to end up remembering at some point though *cough*Kanbu*cough*

But that is unless your reading is. That. Epic. Godlike.
Derekku

xXSupanoobXx wrote:

There are SOME songs where you do need to end up remembering at some point though *cough*Kanbu*cough*
Yeah, there are a bunch of older songs that require memorization, but that is no longer the case with newer songs.
anonymous_old

Derekku Chan wrote:

... but that should no longer be the case with newer songs.
fix'd.
awp
It is about rhythm
Lesjuh
It's all about reflexes... at least... if you only play random insane maps with the double time mod >_>
nomedeusuarionaodisp
It's about memorizing maps and having good enough reflexes to move your mouse precisely enou--
wait, but that's motor coordination.

So I guess it's more about reflexes on the first tries on a certain map, and memorization + coordination on the following tries. And rhythm. Although that sadly is unnecessary on certain maps.
anonymous_old

lesjuh wrote:

It's all about reflexes... at least... if you only play random insane maps with the double time mod >_>
^

Until you start memorizing them.

But it's still highly reflex-based at very high speeds (250BPM+).
Nobody
Oh wow. Hard Rock is now my official favorite. I love it so much. I no longer have to worry about hitting a note too early. I think I played it before but didn't like it. Sure, I can barely beat any song with it on... but with practice... I shall get better. I really like it a lot and think that in the long run I'll play it much better than regular mode. Though, the notes get smaller (which sucks because my accuracy is still mediocre :s), so maybe not.

I vote reflexes as the key attribute for a good Osu Player!
Liclaclalaclilac
I use both reflexes and map reading in playing osu, but some maps, I cannot use both of them, when the map is too fast, I haven't reached that level yet... And, you know, I cannot play slow beatmaps, I would miss a lot because I always click the notes too early... XD
anonymous_old

Destro168 wrote:

Oh wow. Hard Rock is now my official favorite. I love it so much. I no longer have to worry about hitting a note too early. I think I played it before but didn't like it. Sure, I can barely beat any song with it on... but with practice... I shall get better. I really like it a lot and think that in the long run I'll play it much better than regular mode. Though, the notes get smaller (which sucks because my accuracy is still mediocre :s), so maybe not.

I vote reflexes as the key attribute for a good Osu Player!
HR is awesome. DT is too.

DT basically gives +1 to the OD, so if the OD is a bit too low but HR makes it a bit too high, try DT.
loozkang
Well , i saw alot of insane maps have streams and jumps
I'm able to handle jumps but i cant even get it right on even short streams
Can anyone suggest me what can i do to improve my skill on playing insane map?(streams or jumps map)
Liiraye
I think it's a mix of both memory and reflexes, no idea tbh
Endaris
aaa
don't answer to the OP when the thread just got necro'd Liiraye x)
@loozkang: By getting used to them. When you can immediately recognize how long and how fast a stream is it is also feasible to properly play it.
This requires lots and lots of practice though. Most people find it easier to learn dealing with streams by playing slower maps where they have more time to react to the stream and less stress by having to tap really fast.
Xyrus_old_1

loozkang wrote:

Can anyone suggest me what can i do to improve my skill on playing insane map?(streams or jumps map)
Play more, necro less
Liiraye

Endaris wrote:

aaa
don't answer to the OP when the thread just got necro'd Liiraye x)
@loozkang: By getting used to them. When you can immediately recognize how long and how fast a stream is it is also feasible to properly play it.
This requires lots and lots of practice though. Most people find it easier to learn dealing with streams by playing slower maps where they have more time to react to the stream and less stress by having to tap really fast.
I was trying to help our poor malaysian friend up there tho :(
Endaris
Oh, looked like your answering the thread title...