forum

Is this bad playstyle?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden
Hi all!

I have been really pondering if I should fix the way I play, I hover when I play but when it comes to the point when I hit the circles I tap the tablet. When it comes to really high bpm maps my pen ends up like a woodpecker stabbing at the tablet area. (When it comes to streams I go back to hovering through them *thank god..*)

Is this play style weird?

As of now I am playing consistently on maps between 4 -5 stars but I am starting to think that for me to head pass the 5 star/ 200+ bpm maps I should get rid of this habit and force myself to hover or just drag fully.

Any feedback is good because as it stands, not only am I giving my pen nib a beating but I really cannot see it working in the future on some of the well-known insane maps like scarlet rose or airman I wanna challenge because I'd probably end up destroying my tablet area.

I mainly want to find out if any long term experienced player plays the way I do and if they stuck to it and can clear the 5 star + maps that I can only try to achieve one day.
Yuudachi-kun
How do you do streams?
chainpullz
Tap/x is a viable play style. I don't see how what you are doing could be overly detrimental. Any major problems you are currently having are probably unrelated and will occur even if you switch styles.

Edit: Yuleiyu is an example of a tap/x player. A little different from what you are describing but again still quite similar. Other people can probably name people who even fully alternate pen and keyboard clicks.
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

Kheldragar wrote:

How do you do streams?
Well as I mentioned I hover through them lol it would be pretty hilarious if I tap through every stream :)

thing to note is on the space streams though my tapping habits will surface and I will usually fail if there is more them 5 in a row and it can be frastrating
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

chainpullz wrote:

Tap/x is a viable play style. I don't see how what you are doing could be overly detrimental. Any major problems you are currently having are probably unrelated and will occur even if you switch styles.
Oh I see so that is a technique people use as well?

Does that mean the the tapping part will activate the hit circle cause mine doesn't.
E m i
easier hand coordination (huge bonus)
potentially slight aim inconsistency
potentially slight acc inconsistency
potentially easier to fuck up with fast tapping etc.
fully viable
ZenithPhantasm
You could convert to mouseism and it will solve your problems.

In all seriousness just take the nib off your pen.
D e s
Not bad playstyle but bad for your tablet health point
ZenithPhantasm

D e s wrote:

Not bad playstyle but bad for your tablet health point
Tablet covers exist to protect the tablet's HP.
tfg50
http://youtu.be/pghkUEIHXT0 enough said (actually, let me add one thing. he even uses tap+kb for the streams.)
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden
Thank you for all your feedback I appreciate the time you spent on posting.

One of the main reasons why I posted is that the play style I use I have been very comfortable with for a while but in the back of my mind I thought "Is this even viable to continue playing?" because I'm thinking that in the long run I will not progress any further or improve to play the maps I really want to play.

It has been playing mind games on me affecting my game play because subconsciously I'm thinking that its screwing me up and not the right way to play.

[ Momiji ] wrote:

easier hand coordination (huge bonus)
potentially slight aim inconsistency
potentially slight acc inconsistency
potentially easier to fuck up with fast tapping etc.
fully viable
[ Momiji ] is right about one thing when it comes to single tapping a chain of circles especially in a snake formation it becomes a 50/50 for me to clear but I guess I will have to get over it some how.

tfg50 wrote:

http://youtu.be/pghkUEIHXT0 enough said (actually, let me add one thing. he even uses tap+kb for the streams.)
Thanks tfg50 for showing me that video, at least i can put that tap + x thing out of my mind and play as I do.

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

You could convert to mouseism and it will solve your problems.

In all seriousness just take the nib off your pen.
I tried playing with the nib off but when I tap menus it pisses me off cuz nothing activates..I guess I will buy a Cover :?
SomeLoli

Kwonaiden wrote:

Hi all!

I have been really pondering if I should fix the way I play, I hover when I play but when it comes to the point when I hit the circles I tap the tablet..
Whats wrong with that? I hover as well except I tap the tablet during jumps across the map as I find it's more accurate. I started doing that to avoid ''overhovering'' if you like. Sometimes I do it all map if most of the circles are spaced out.

I have the tap disabled though and just use the keyboard to click.
Nathan
Never tried it before, but tapping with tablet probably gets rid of hand sync problems (so you don't miss even if your aim is on point)
daikichi
that's actually fkin hilarious that u got to ur rank by tapping beats with ur tablet lmaoo props xD

yea, i'd imagine that playstyle would be pretty damn horrid in the long run. u should slowly change to keyboard :P. pretty cool though.
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

cooksgochu wrote:

that's actually fkin hilarious that u got to ur rank by tapping beats with ur tablet lmaoo props xD

yea, i'd imagine that playstyle would be pretty damn horrid in the long run. u should slowly change to keyboard :P. pretty cool though.
lol well yea I can just play with 1 hand and tap on maps that don't have more than triples in them and fc them but I do play with the keyboard when it is required for streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5J2e_MFmb4

Here is how it looks, as you can see how choppy my cursor is :(

kinda looks silly compared to the people that hover or drag, at least the cursor looks smooth for them techniques..

maps that go over 200+ bpm is hell for me using the tapping method, I play alot and I feel I'm stuck against a wall that is going to take a while for me to climb over to progress any further :?
Vuelo Eluko
anything works if you put the time in. take writing for example, everyone develops their own way to make the letters on the paper, but regardless of how inefficient or weird of a method they took to as a child for shaping each particular letter, everyone learns how to do it fast, consistently, and accurately. you can replicate that phenomenon on osu by playing any way you want, as long as you commit to it.
Ennowyn
There's nothing wrong with your playstyle; everyone has their own. It's definitely different and it might take a bit longer to improve on others but:

Riince wrote:

anything works if you put the time in. commit to it.
daikichi
can u make a liveplay? im super interested.
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

cooksgochu wrote:

can u make a liveplay? im super interested.
zomg notice me senpai! :P

lol dunno why you wanna watch me, i guess the pen poking is amusing to you. I only live stream occasionally cuz i have a tendency of cursing alot :? unless I mute

Here is a live play record i did a few days back should you wanna watch. warning there will be cursing :)

http://www.twitch.tv/kwonaiden/b/606367279
I Give Up
I thought you tapped with tablet but nm ^^

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3107696

Another tablet player with exactly the same play style, says it helps with jumps.
Topic Starter
Kwonaiden

KukiMonster wrote:

I thought you tapped with tablet but nm ^^

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/3107696

Another tablet player with exactly the same play style, says it helps with jumps.
Awesome! such a big community I knew I would find people that tap to activate circles or just tap and hit the keyboard

Just for lols, just stabbing the board only..

byfar
I actually don't even understand how hovering can possibly be a good option.
Vuelo Eluko
i could say the same about dragging, but its preference
ZenithPhantasm
If it works for you then just stick with it. If youre worried about scratches on your tablet because of OCD or whatever then buy a tablet cover. I heard they protect against scratches and also cosmetically more appealing than the blank canvas of a tablet.