forum

[resolved] Attempting to stream osu! crashes my PC instantly! [OBS]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kurabuman
Problem Details:

To be able to put my problem and its history in to perspective, I'll explain under bullet form:

-About 2 months ago I re-formated my computer
-I was able to stream osu! perfectly for a while
-Re-formatting got rid of everything, all updates for my drivers, Windows... etc.
-I was OK with everything for a long time
-Bought Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, wanted to play it
-Needed to update video drivers, I did
-Next day I tried to stream osu!
-Computer freezes instantly as soon as I hit "Start Streaming"
-Force restart PC
-Repeat

Thing is, I was able to stream prior to the driver update, so my settings on OBS should be fine, no? I had nice quality streaming at 60fps and playing at 120+. Now it doesn't crash the game or OBS but my whole PC! I can stream many games, only one that crashes is osu! and others occasionally (but not my whole PC, just the game). I've searched for answers but my problem is a little different than just osu! or OBS crashing which seems to be a common problem.

Also I should mention I had this problem prior to re-formatting my PC. If needed I have highlighted gameplay at twitch.tv/sebaman124
My PC specs

Hardware is dated but hey, it has worked plenty fine in the past

OBS settings
Video Encoding: Encoder [x264], Use CBR, Enable CBR padding, Max bitrate [1000] -- I've played around with this and nothing seems to change

Audio Encoding: Codec [AAC], Format [48kHz], Bitrate [160], Channel [stereo]

Resolution: 1360x768, Aspect Ratio [85:48]
Other video settings: Resolution downscale [1.75], Filter [Bilinear], FPS [60], Disabled Aero

Advanced General: Use Multithreaded Optimizations [NO], Process Priority Class [Normal], Scene Buffering [700], Allow modifiers on hotkeys [YES]
Advanced Video: x264 CPU Preset [veryfast], Encoding Profile [main], Keyframe Intervale [2sec], Use CFR [YES], Custom Encoder [NO]

If something is missing and you would like the information I'm more than happy to give it out!

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

EDIT: Here's a video showcasing what happens (pardon my pronunciation of osu!, it's just a habit)

osu! version: 20141226.7 (latest)
Full Tablet
Does your PC have any video card? What is it's GPU?

When the PC freezes, does the game sound stop also?
Topic Starter
Kurabuman

Full Tablet wrote:

Does your PC have any video card? What is it's GPU?

When the PC freezes, does the game sound stop also?

2. Everything, image, sound. No commands work (i.e Ctrl-Alt-Del)

I just don't understand why updating my video drivers would make it worse, shouldn't it have helped?
AdventTechno
Try to change your OBS OSU! Scene to a Monitor Capture with Point Filter and Cascaded Window Capture on and try to make your Aspect ration 16:9... Maybe will help?

Edit: Also check your Live Stream Settings... Here is my settings to make OSU! local and Live Stream recordings possible... Yes I know my quality sucks XD

http://puu.sh/dIAd4.mp4
Pluto
Your OBS settings is probably not the issue here.
Try using Window Capture on Osu! (unless that's what you're doing, then try Game Capture) and see what the results are.
Other than that it seems to be some video card driver issue as you are experiencing this after updating it.
Topic Starter
Kurabuman
Right so I decided to give window capture a go. The quick version is that it does NOT crash my pc instantly, but I had to sacrifice beautiful frames. I've got it to stay at a solid 60fps sometimes dropping to 50-54 or 40 at worst. It'll have to do, so thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking of re-installing my drivers but again, wouldn't be able to do so without sacrificing my other games.
drum drum
Is this good to mark resolved?
Topic Starter
Kurabuman

drum drum wrote:

Is this good to mark resolved?
Sure