forum

New Tablet + Frustration

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
cylax
So recently for Christmas I asked for a tablet, and I got this: http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen ... ouch-small

I've gotten down to rank 12700 with mouse, and I figured tablet would allow me to become even better.

I've been using this tablet for two days and I am disappointed with it. It seems like it overshoots too many times and its so hard to go from either side of the screen (left/right). I turned off flicks and everything, so I don't know why but it just seems so bad. I'm so much better with mouse so I feel like I'm wasting my time on tablet worsening my accuracy.

My biggest problem is the pen. It's really thin and I keep losing grip of it mid-game and it causes me to miss when I readjust.
Also I don't know if I'm supposed to hover with the pen or keep it holding down on the tablet, because holding against the tablet has actually been working better.

Here are my settings:
http://imgur.com/JQi1M6L

Am I doing anything wrong? I play Osu! in my first screen (left) in full screen so the other monitor is useless but when I played around with the settings and set it to only the monitor I used it became really hard for me to move around freely.

Mouse sensitivity is 1 and raw input is off. I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
DeletedUser_4041880
Use the full tablet area rather than a small one, that's why you keep overshooting things (and having the area set for two monitors). As for the small pen you could try buying a rubber grip for pencils and see if it'll solve the problem. You can either hover or drag, but most people prefer hovering since they're either scared of scratching their tablet or their pen nib wears down too fast. When hovering, you aren't supposed to hold the pen far away from the tablet. It should be pretty close to the point of almost touching (though you can go slightly higher). I'm not sure if your tablet can detect the pen if it's above 1 cm.
Deathripi
You kennot expect to be completely comfortable with a tablet after 2 days if you never used one before.
Regarding overshooting, you are, like the person before me said, using a too small tablet area (assuming you're new to tablet)
Also you just have to find a grip you're confortable with.
Topic Starter
cylax
Thanks for the response.

I set the area to full but its way too slow to use. I have to move my arm to get anywhere.

I also set it to the monitor I use for osu.

@Deathripi

I suppose you're right, I just was upset cause I wasn't as good as some of my friends anymore lol
I'm gonna see if I can get a grip.

edit:
new settings (appears to be working better for me)
again, it just seems too slow when I set it to a larger area
Deathripi
Maybe it makes you somewhat happy: reading skills transfer when swapping from mouse to tablet.
Also you should still be able to play your usual songs after getting used to the tablet.

Personally I swapped to tablet at rank 35k or something like that and it took me 4 days to get completely comfortable with the tablet and I used to draw using that same tablet so that helped.

Gl learning the tablet and you might want to consider to keep using the mouse just because youll unlearn it after a while.
George Lopez
Just try using full area for a while. It took me a couple of days to get used to it and how to position my hand to not have to move my hand all over the place. I know it seems slow but you have to get used to it :/. Some of the best players of osu! played on full area, like Cookiezi, rrtyui and www (not 100% sure if he plays on full or almost full but you get my point) and probably much more, i just havent looked into more people. It makes you much more accurate once your muscle memory is good with the tablet.
Senpoii

Full tablet is the way of life.
I play with Osu! on 1280x768 windowed on my left monitor.
Gumpy
Why do you have the tablet set to both screens try lowering your osu! resolution.

Play more with it
George Lopez
I also forgot to say that if you wanna try and get used to full tablet area then you might wanna try lowering the osu resolution and putting it in windowed mode. That way you dont have to be looking all over your monitor and you dont have to move your hand all over the place.
Topic Starter
cylax
Thanks for all the responses. I'll switch over to full tablet and try messing around with resolutions and stuff.

Look good?
http://imgur.com/JBy26j6
IppE

full screen area, full tabet area

If moving your hand is a problem, lose weight.

As for adjusting to a tablet, it'll take time. It took me a full month to get even with my mouse scores when I first got a tablet, and I wasn't even all that good with a mouse either.
Topic Starter
cylax
Well I'm in windowed right now, should I go full screen?

I'm starting to get used to it, but the only problem is its not 100% portioned to the actual size of the window.
IppE

DrMrBlueX wrote:

Well I'm in windowed right now, should I go full screen?
If you want to you can, but then you have you move your hand even more.

DrMrBlueX wrote:

I'm starting to get used to it, but the only problem is its not 100% portioned to the actual size of the window.
Use the force proportions thing?
Topic Starter
cylax
Well I am pleased to say that I'm getting very close to being as good as I was with mouse.

I switched over to full screen and it actually helped.

This thread is solved, thank you for all your help.