forum

Using both mouse and keyboard to click

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jstore
A friend of mine told me that I'm better off just using the keyboard to click and the mouse to move, the problem is that since I've started playing I've always used both keyboard and mouse.I usually use the mouse to click the single notes and keyboard for sliders and streams.
So for the past 3 days I've been practicing using only keyboard but my performance has suffered drastically from this as I can barely complete maps that I could do before without any problems.
My question for you is should I continue practicing by using only the keyboard to hit notes or should I switch back to my old play style?
Bauxe
Use whatever you want. There are good players who click with mouse / stream with keyboard.
Sophia
Use what's comfortable for you. And there are people with that playstyle who are quite good.
cheezstik
There are people with this playstyle that are good, but there are also people that could be good with touchscreen, or playing with their feet or some ridiculous shit, doesn't mean you should play like that. Play in the way that lets you play at your best. Tap/x, or click/x if on mouse, is a playstyle that grants you ridiculous speed and stamina, at the cost of accuracy / unstable rate. It'd be very hard to master that playstyle, or get to the point where you'd be as accurate if you played regularly z/x, or even mouse only.

You could probably play at your best with z/x + mouse, take a day to get used to it, and you will be better than if you spent the next month playing click/x.
winber1
try downgrading to windows 98
chainpullz
Salochin made it into the top 1k players using such a style. Hes currently on break from the game after recovering from carpal tunnel to finish his degree but you can find a lot of his videos on youtube.
ZenithPhantasm

chainpullz wrote:

Salochin made it into the top 1k players using such a style. Hes currently on break from the game after recovering from carpal tunnel to finish his degree but you can find a lot of his videos on youtube.
He destroyed his mouse hand's index finger using this style.
cheezstik
Best tap/x player as far as I'm aware is yamemasita, who is #19 at this point, and not just tap/x, but also perfectly full alt tap/x. He's got the #1 and only top 50 DT score on Dream Walker, as well as Prism Magical and Highlander.
I Give Up

KukiMonster wrote:

Mouse click players are more prone to rsi/cts, but if this isn't a problem for you then I see no reason to change. In terms of performance, you will gain nothing by changing your play style.
Topic Starter
Jstore
Thanks to everyone for posting!
After reading through all your posts I decided that I'm going to try and switch to tapping with keyboard and moving with the mouse.
I'll still check this thread for a couple more days so if anyone else has anything to add or any advice on how to get used to tapping faster then I'd gladly appreciate it.
chainpullz

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

He destroyed his mouse hand's index finger using this style.
He also averaged 8 hours a day when he played he says. I think it's more related to that than anything else. I'd imagine if you average 8 hours a day with any style you are going to be hard pressed not to get carpal tunnel. That and he played 3k dpi so his grip involved applying lots of downward pressure so that was probably a huge contributing factor too.
-sev

chainpullz wrote:

I'd imagine if you average 8 hours a day with any style you are going to be hard pressed not to get carpal tunnel
Uh oh. :roll:
Deathripi

Kaienyuu wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

I'd imagine if you average 8 hours a day with any style you are going to be hard pressed not to get carpal tunnel
Uh oh. :roll:
Sigh.
Prepare for the carpal tunnel boiz.
ZenithPhantasm

Deathripi wrote:

Sigh.
Already have it :)
Deathripi

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

Deathripi wrote:

Sigh.
Already have it :)
Explains your graph :? .

Also, nice play count.
chainpullz
Nah, someone said something to make him salty and start playing offline until he gets good. Carpal tunnel probably came after that.