forum

Looking for advice.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Corrderio
Is there anyone that's experienced making beatmaps that can give me a hand on my project? So far I think I got the general idea down however I'd like a 2nd opinion from someone who actually knows how to do this stuff.
Torran
And what sort of project is this?
Topic Starter
Corrderio
Well, more like my first beatmap. I think I got the general idea however still wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion on how I'm making it until I post it for further comments/etc.
0_o

Corrderio wrote:

Well, more like my first beatmap. I think I got the general idea however still wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion on how I'm making it until I post it for further comments/etc.
Why not just submit it? You have both of your upload slots.
Topic Starter
Corrderio
Well I'm still kinda new to the forum thing and I only have one difficulty ATM, and I don't want to do a lot of work to find out I have to scrap everything if I made harder beatmaps.

EDIT: To put it in another way...

I relied on 1/8th divisor for this and wanted advice from someone with more experience than me on this kind of thing. Since I'm kind of worried that if I alter the BPM or something else I'll throw everything off. And the way I see if it I have to redo only one difficulty ATM instead of all 4 that'll hopefully save me some time.
RandomJibberish
Submit it to the WIP forum and get it modded. Most likley your BPM's wrong which isn't a problem as you can just fix and and resnap and everything will slot back into place.
Topic Starter
Corrderio

RandomJibberish wrote:

Submit it to the WIP forum and get it modded. Most likley your BPM's wrong which isn't a problem as you can just fix and and resnap and everything will slot back into place.
Okay I'll try that in a bit. I'm adjusting markers and then might try for a Normal/Hard mode. I'm still waiting for someone at Deviant to give me an OK to use his program for the background as well so I have plenty of time to kill.
RandomJibberish
You can always update with new diffs and bgs, so you may as well upload it for now. You shouldn't make any more diffs with a wrong BPM :P
Topic Starter
Corrderio
I'm still working on Normal, about 50ish% done with it.

Either way speaking of backgrounds got a quick question about that.

I put a background in there for the heck of it to see how it'd look in the game, I didn't like it so I removed it (Erased it from the song's folder). However 2 problems arise:

1. The background is just a solid black, and setting BG color isn't helping either. Is there a way to fix that? Thankfully this was just a copy I'm going to erase either but thought it'd be best to ask about it in case I run into this problem again.

2.Every time I go to the design tab it still shows the filename of the BG I used even though it's not there. Is there any way to remove that permanently? Or will the filename always be there every time I open the song again?
Torran
You have to actually remove the background from the osu file itself. In your song folder should be osu files, one for every difficulty you make. Open an osu file in Notepad.

Look for "//Background and Video events" and you should find under it something like this:

0,0,"[background filename here]"

Delete the line and save. Repeat this for any other osu files.

I don't know why osu! makes you have to manually remove the background but it's a flaw that I want to point out.
Topic Starter
Corrderio
Okay thanks. I'll tinker with that after I finish up on my beatmap difficulty.
Topic Starter
Corrderio
Okay another dumb question, how do I go updating my beatmap if I find screwups or if someone mods it for me?
0_o

Corrderio wrote:

Okay another dumb question, how do I go updating my beatmap if I find screwups or if someone mods it for me?
The same way you uploaded it initially: File -> Upload Beatmap
Topic Starter
Corrderio
Ahh, was wondering if that would work or if it'd just make a 2nd topic in the beatmap thread.