forum

[added] Block Windows key in-game

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +77
show more
oddysea682
Support, but I dunno how it would work out
Zekira
Yes please,
especially since I use keys Ctrl-Alt, which is extremely close to Windows Key...

(yes I z/c and not z/x, my ifngers hate each other)
FurukawaPan
The only time it should be "blocked" is while *playing*. If I need to check my browser or my e-mail blips, I often hit Esc to pause the game, tap the windows key to get to my start menu and check my email. Please don't break this on me. Thank you.

Edit: yes I am exclusively using this game in fullscreen mode, and have absolutely no intention to ever play in windowed mode.
mm201

MetalMario201 wrote:

Same logic/flag as mouse capture. Problem solved.
Zetta
WHY DO KEYBOARDS STILL COME WITH A FUCKING WINDOWS KEY!

NOBODY uses it.

/rage
James2250
I still use it when I am on an annoying full screen game that doesn't like to minimize and I don't feel like using any other way
D:
Azure_Kite
I use the windows key. It's good for when I need to get into the start menu and dont want to move my cursor all the way to the bottom left corner.

Because that's such a chore.
mm201
Win+L
Win+D since they went and hid the show desktop button on windows 7 orz
Win+tab if you like crazy m$ gimmicks
sp1ky

MetalMario201 wrote:

Win+L
FireballFlame

Zetta wrote:

NOBODY uses it.

/rage
I use it to minimize osu :|

Oh, and by the way, outside of osu a lot. Learn hotkeys.
Esupanitix
Only supporting if it can be made toggleable.
[Strike]
support!
intermu
supporting ONLY IF there's an opt-in/opt-out thing in options.
Numbbi
Well I guess I will support this if it's toggleable.
Guy-kun

MetalMario201 wrote:

Win+D since they went and hid the show desktop button on windows 7 orz
What's hidden about the massive lump at the end of the taskbar that shows the desktop when clicked?
mm201
It's easier to use keyboard shortcuts than to learn new habits. :P
NOMMI_old
Support if you put it in options, so people who want to disable it and don't have keyboards that can disable in game, have the ability to.
and maybe have an exeption option as well if your not playing the specials. or be able to use the windows key when the game is paused or in menus.
laport
Tenacious J
Judging by the way osu! is structured, I'm sure this can be done. The Windows Key isn't the only way to minimize osu!, we could also minimize by using Alt+Tab as goes for any other app. (XP users must have another window already open like a browser or a folder) But if it can't, then you should have it automatically pause in a solo osu! game. Don't know what to say about internet osu! games...

But remember: options, options, options! More customization options is a good thing and peppy has done a great job already. An option to to disable the Windows Key should added (if it can be disabled) in the process.
MDuh
eddieee
add a disable windows key in options menu?
ziin
I can turn on and off my windows key in my keyboard settings. Looks like you guys just need a better keyboard.
Anzo

peppy wrote:

If it's just the windows key, I can block that...

YESS!!!! No more Winkey...
I remembered my bad experience on that key...
theowest
I've failed countless times because of the Windows key. SUPPORT ALL THE WAY!!

FireballFlame wrote:

Zetta wrote:

NOBODY uses it.

/rage
I use it to minimize osu :|

Oh, and by the way, outside of osu a lot. Learn hotkeys.
Use Alt + Tab
Suimya
its always happens to me Dx
and i support this.
theowest

laport wrote:

easy: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216893
^ That.

But it should be a option in osu! to disable the windows key when playing beatmaps. Not browsing through your songs, chatting, mapping, etc.
winber1
Actuallly, this only happened to me once lol. oddly enough, I actually accidentally press the "a" key more often I press the windows key >_>. uhh, yea, idk, im weird.

still i don't see a reason why implementing it would be bad, so i guess i support as well.
Bittersweet
I wonder why it wasnt blocked yet :<
D33d
The Windows key still has plenty of relevance. I use it a lot with Aero Snap and Win+M minimises everything. Moreover, it makes it easier to access the start menu/search function. Nevertheless, this has my support as an option.
Nessuka
Win+R > CMD is my only use for it.
Plus I have failed countless times due to the Win key.

This has my support.

<!-- insert pun about it being a 'win' key as opposed to a 'fail' key -->
Piotrekol
bumpy bump and shooting a star

theowest wrote:

But it should be a option in osu! to disable the windows key when playing beatmaps. Not browsing through your songs, chatting, mapping, etc.
pls
Graphite Edge
Support +1 for sure!
XPJ38
I like the Windows key :< It helps me to easily switch to the Desktop and display the taskbar to see if there are any new notifications from other programs, both from full screen mode. And I never pressed it accidentally. If this feature is considered, please make it an option.
Kurokami

peppy wrote:

If it's just the windows key, I can block that...
I just wondering why this is still missing. o.o Peppy already aware of this...

EDIT: I use it to quit doing something else while playing multiplayer which is already failed. So I like this as an option.
Shohei Ohtani
Move keyboard keys to A,S

everything is better.

Like it's so miniscule that I'm neutral on it, but it seems kind of easy to fix without implementing a toggle.

Windows key is still useful, also. Especially with the way Windows 8 works, I often have to use the Windows key to access certain programs (Or it at least makes it kind of easier, since they were like "Let's hide every useful program for CDFA woo woo"
RBRat3
:< I need that key to move osu & windows across monitors on a whim and other window functions...
I would rather see osu! automatically pause itself on loss of focus like some games although this would only extend it's usefulness to solo. All things considered this really isn't a problem anymore since you can remap the keys, right?
Nathanael
I love to support this even I haven't got my stars.
But anyway, the Windows key is still very useful to many people so it shouldn't be just instantly disabled.

I'd suggest to include an option on the settings "[ ] Disable Windows key while playing a beatmap".

Not to mention my "alt" key doesn't work so I use the windows key to switch windows while osu! is on full screen. 'orz
Piotrekol
bump(and throwing my second star there) >.>

Nathanael wrote:

I'd suggest to include an option on the settings "[ ] Disable Windows key while playing a beatmap".
^basically this PLEASE
I'm using this program for the time being http://winkill.clangen.org/ (opensource~)
peppy
Windows key is blocked during gameplay now. Please test this on test build to make sure it works as expected.
bomber34
Test built:
uh in window mode the windows key still works but the game does not get unfocused so you can still play
in full screen you just get kicked out completly to desktop while playing
show more