forum

Nervousness

posted
Total Posts
show more
I Give Up
I only get nervous whenever I make a play that I know will be my next top score, or a song that has a really hard part and I managed to beat it after several months. However I never get nervous when playing easy maps. So basically get so good at the game so that you will never get nervous on 5 star songs any more coz ez game ez life.
-sev

Tess wrote:

Play a lot of Touhou until you can comfortably play Lunatics. It'll take some time, but that should solve your issue.
Thanks for the laughs.
dung eater
have fun, most people do get very nervous when they are getting their first scores they consider good, it usually gets less distracting as you play more
Nathan
Just deal with it, over time you'll improve under pressure, it'll always be there though
B1rd
Everyone get's nervous. It up to you to find ways to deal with it. Something that works for me is remember to just keep calm and keep playing that way I've been doing up until that point. If I miss I accept that it was because of my lack of abilities. And by doing that it prevents me from doing anything weird due to nervousness that would make me break combo.
Topic Starter
Lagel
I guess i'll just have to stick with it then. Also, i was wondering because of my rather odd grip, would that be effecting my overall control of the pen?
I only have 3 fingers touching my pen, pretty much ever. My wrist rests just on the surface of the black part of my wacom intuos.

Grip:
SPOILER
http://imgur.com/a/CBk38
Karuta-_old_1
If you are comfortable with it, why not?
SomeLoli
No need to get nervous over clicking circles mate. Realise it's just a game for fun and you will have an epiphany (probably not)
E m i

SomeLoli wrote:

No need to get nervous over clicking circles mate. Realise it's just a game for fun and you will have an epiphany (probably not)
:? :? circle clicking game is my life :( :(
Comet
Taken from ScarletStory's How-to-get-better thread (no, that's not the actual title, but anyhoo)

Let me tell you something interesting about your brain. When our brain anticipates a stressful event it makes your muscles tense up in preparation to deal with whatever is causing the stress.

-----

The muscles-tensing up part is actually still relevant here because it will be a byproduct of this thing we call "nervousness."

To put it simply, if you don't want as much muscle-tensing and nervousness, then you need to gear away your brain from being anticipatory.

So, as weird as it sounds, you actually need to gear down and concentrate MORE. The more you concentrate on the actual game instead of anticipating that one hard spot/section, the better you'll do.

I'll give thelewa https://osu.ppy.sh/u/thelewa and Azer https://osu.ppy.sh/u/azer as examples. If you ever noticed how both players never complain about that troll-like hard part in this beatmap they're doing coming up? (Azer does it sometimes in SpeedRunners, but that's completely irrelevant, haha)

It's because they're both trying their hardest to keep their concentration without breaking it, which allows them to get past points that would otherwise screw them over. And thus, thelewa got the No. 1 spot in World's End https://osu.ppy.sh/b/335628?m=0 and held it for around 4 months before Nitro barely beat it by about 80k points. In the same regard, Azer is in the top 5 spots at #5 on Magic Girl (which is around 234 bpm on DT, by the way) https://osu.ppy.sh/s/53519# and has a startling 99.82% accuracy.

Keep your concentration without breaking it too many times and I guarantee you will perform better on some level (I'm assuming you've read ScarletStory's thread as well as Jesse's about getting better https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/187364 and https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/99612, respectively.

Glad to help :)
The Gambler
Hmmm... Deep breath???

And give yourself a cookie every time you DO sliderbreak or what not. It helps to have food around.
Glucose and water does help the brain a lot ;)
Topic Starter
Lagel
Alright thanks guys, i guess i shouldn't be worrying too much with only 6k plays in 3 months. I tend to push myself too much to only then realize it's okay to be bad (for now anyway)
Nyxa

SnapFlash wrote:

The most useful post in this thread.
-sev

SnapFlash wrote:

blah blah
Incredible, by actively trying to stay concentrated I ended up getting nervous for the first time in a while! :>
dung eater
Concentrating on doing the simplest things and not concentrating on 'not messing up omg i want to fc' can help. Stuff like doing the motion from one circle to another, pushing buttons at the right time.
ruikoH
Nerves will always be there, but a banana before playing will help ever so slightly.
Black Wolf159
You can begin with shot maps like Tv size or Radio Edit. Doesn't matter if you fail, keep playing. Then, go up with 2 minutes maps and do the same process. You will see that you nervousness is gonna be less~

Play more maps too, that helps a lot.
SomeLoli

samlinvc wrote:

Nerves will always be there, but a banana before playing will help ever so slightly.
Can confirm, just ate 10 bananas and feel unstoppable with nerves of steel
E m i
sayonara_sekai
1) replace the BG of every map you want to FC with a black image with the text UNRANKED on it and turn on backgrounds
2) choke anyway
Deathripi

phonics wrote:

1) replace the BG of every map you want to FC with a black image with the text UNRANKED on it and turn on backgrounds
2) choke anyway
It's unranked anyways might as well miss. 8-)
Nyxa
I've recently found that trying to "get over it" won't do much for you, nor will ignoring it. Use it to your advantage instead. Just take a deep breath and refocus on the map, and use your heightened awareness to nail it. Don't be afraid of missing, only avoidant of it. Like a fly. You don't want it around but if it's there it's no big deal. Also helps to think about the results screen with your desired achievement rather than about failing.
E m i

Tess wrote:

I've recently found that trying to "get over it" won't do much for you, nor will ignoring it. Use it to your advantage instead. Just take a deep breath and refocus on the map, and use your heightened awareness to nail it. Don't be afraid of missing, only avoidant of it. Like a fly. You don't want it around but if it's there it's no big deal. Also helps to think about the results screen with your desired achievement rather than about failing.
Yuudachi-kun
Taking a deep breath in breaks throws me off because it makes me lightheaded and the map harder.
SomeLoli
balance a plant pot on your head so its a bit heavier
dung eater
100% of people who get nervous die
Nyxa

Kheldragar wrote:

Taking a deep breath in breaks throws me off because it makes me lightheaded and the map harder.
There's a difference between taking a deep breath and taking a breath in preparation to blow one of the three little pigs' houses away.
gregest
disable interface
D e s
drink redbull
Kwonaiden
I think everyone gets nervous when they are about to FC a map no matter how good they are but from my viewpoint I realise that composure is about your own confidence in your technique. If you discipline yourself in following a set of procedures that you do no matter how simple the map is, it will carry you through.

Everyone has their own way of holding their playstyle but when it comes down to the crunch moments they just forget about everything for that moment due to nerves. Thats why the top tier players are beasts when it comes to holding all them nerves in. Not because they are used to nerves but because they have brought their technical faults to the bare minimum due to the ridiculous amount of plays and experience.

For example I'm 1000+ combos into a map and there is like 200 beats to go. I switch into a another thought pattern and focus really hard on following the rhythm of the hit notes more to hold myself together. You can say you know you have the song in the bag if you are in the "zone" where its like you auto mode your technique from start to finish.

Like in all sports once you forget about all your have practiced you will lose your confidence and nerves will set in and you WILL fk up.
winber1
just get a lobotamy
Daborgia
Protips for nervousness ( they work at me ) ;) :

- Disable ranking showing

Normally u play maps where Top 50 Fc´ed everything, and u see the max combo and your combo -> u see the end is incoming -> u eff up 100%

- Be the map

Don´t play the map for effing PeePee only, just play it and "feel" the rhythm of the map and. Play your fav Maps. Your Aim will be 100%+ or blame the Creator because he effed up the map.

- There´s more

If max Combo is 1000...then imagine its 1500 and maybe you are tired or silly enough to believe it . Worked for my score at "Wanna be my dream" :P

- Take some "Thingys" or ask yourself why you still get nervous and if its Osu only

Because then its just you! 8-)
SomeLoli

Sichurin wrote:

Protips for nervousness ( they work at me ) ;) :

- Be the map
this is some Buddha shit right here
dung eater
Playing maps to the end, only retrying if you want to play the whole map again. Not sure if it makes you less nervous but it might make it more fun to play.
-sev
I don't see what's the problem with retrying maps.

-Mess up
-Watch replay
-See where you messed up
-Proceed to correct your mistake

Nervousness has nothing to do with how many times you retry a map. It's about focus and mindset.

Edit: And some amount of nervousness will always be there. The thing that matters is how you handle your nerves.
D e s
goodluck
GSG95

Kaienyuu wrote:

I don't see what's the problem with retrying maps.

-Mess up
-Watch replay
-See where you messed up
-Proceed to correct your mistake

Nervousness has nothing to do with how many times you retry a map. It's about focus and mindset.

Edit: And some amount of nervousness will always be there. The thing that matters is how you handle your nerves.
-Mess up
-Watch replay
-See where you messed up
-Attempt to correct your mistake
-Throw keyboard out of the window.

But Kai is probably right, doe.
Nakano Itsuki

Kaienyuu wrote:

And some amount of nervousness will always be there. The thing that matters is how you handle your nerves.
I really hope there is some way to overcome it...

Every time near the end of a song, my hand gets super shaky, no matter how I tell myself to relax.

#chokerino
winber1
#getbetter
ZenithPhantasm
show more