forum

Please explain PP formula calculation in an analogy?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Saneaux
Fruit analogy is preferable, but whatever works for you. I suck at math and I really can't make sense of the formula's used in the wiki.

https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points

EDIT: I don't get the weight system either.
sangu
Ok, say you are in a competition with a friend to see who can get the most weight in fruits. So you go to the supermarket, and you buy one grape. you take this grape and you are so excited, positive that you will win. You place the grape on the scale, then decide that you need more fruits. You run back to the store and buy a strawberry which weighs more than the grape. You come back to the scale and put the strawberry next to the grape. But, oh no, worms have eaten part of the grape, it now only weighs 95% of what it was before. Angered by this and concerned for your ability to win, you run back to the store and buy an apple. Upon arriving at the scale, you place the apple down, but the weight gain isn't as high as you expected. You look at the grape and strawberry and they both have been eaten by those pesky worms. Now the grape only weighs 90% of what it had originally, and the strawberry weighs 95% of what it originally did. Becoming more desperate to get weight, you run to the store for a fourth time, buying a pomegranate. When you get back to your scale, you find that the apple, grape, and strawberry have been eaten by the worms. The Apple weighs 95%, the strawberry 90%, and the grape 86%.

You continue this process until you have collected 200 fruits, and each time you get a new fruit, the worms eat the rest of the fruits. After your 200th fruit you take a look at the other fruits and notice: "Wow, the grape is so small, it's only 1% of its original size! o.o That means that its contribution to the total is very small. And then you realize further, that every time you bought a larger fruit, the worms ate the smaller fruits that you already had, so when you placed a 4kg fruit on the scale, the weight did not increase by 4kg, but by a bit less due to the other fruits being eaten."

Hope that clears up the weighting system a bit for you.
manjumochi
Nice analogy.
winber1
pp is like fruit. they grow naturally.
silmarilen

winber1 wrote:

omg now i finally realise how it works!
jasian

winber1 wrote:

So buying tablet and mechanical keyboard is like using fertilizer?
xasuma
Don't you want a poem too ?
chainpullz
You also get some amount of pp just for playing the game up to a cap (that or the diminishing returns kick in so hard that there is practically a cap). Thus simply adding the weighted pp for each of your top ranks will sum to less than your actual pp.
Topic Starter
Saneaux

sanguisinvia wrote:

I understood it to some extent haha, but I'm not sure what each element of the analogy represents in the game. Is the weight of the fruit the score I get in a song? Is me returning to the store to get more fruit playing a song over and over to get better scores? What exactly is it I'm aiming to do and how can I see if what I'm doing is achieving anything?

xasuma wrote:

Don't you want a poem too ?
Sure why not! xD
sangu

Saneaux wrote:

sanguisinvia wrote:

I understood it to some extent haha, but I'm not sure what each element of the analogy represents in the game. Is the weight of the fruit the score I get in a song? Is me returning to the store to get more fruit playing a song over and over to get better scores? What exactly is it I'm aiming to do and how can I see if what I'm doing is achieving anything?
The weight of the fruit was the amount of pp a play contributed to the total and the returning to the store was you getting High scores on other songs. So after you had 200 fruits, or 200 songs in your top plays, your highest play was worth 100% and your lowest plays 1% ect. In the analogy, you were aiming to get the most total weight. So if we relate it to real life, you are aiming to get the most total pp.
ZenithPhantasm
DT=pp. Nuff said.
DroidBass

ZenithPhantasm wrote:

DT=pp. Nuff said.
High OD on silly pattenrs + acc>99% = tons pp

This is the general answer, but DT is the most used mod to abuse the overweighted priority on OD instead of map difficulty or amount of circles.
buny

winber1 wrote:

tiem to play ctb
Nyxa
pp is like asking santa for a new computer and waking up on christmas day and seeing a big rectangular present by the christmas tree and then you open it and inside there's a bunch of styrofoam so you remove that and find a picture of santa fucking your mother
Birdy

Tess wrote:

pp is like asking santa for a new computer and waking up on christmas day and seeing a big rectangular present by the christmas tree and then you open it and inside there's a bunch of styrofoam so you remove that and find a picture of santa fucking your mother
Comparison on-point.