forum

how to not get nervous when about to fc

posted
Total Posts
show more
- Milhofo -
I get nervous everytime. You just get used to it over time, doesn't mean you stop getting nervous though.

I have tons and I mean tons of last second misses and 100's which ruin my acc. A lot of times I have 98-99% and I get a 95-96% because I ruin it in the last 15 seconds of the song..
Gumpy
Almost topped my top play by getting an SS on the map got all 100s in the end.
Yarissa
Try not to think about the pp you'll get and just clear your mind (or let it wander to non-osu things)

That works decently for me. I also pause when I get a break before the end of the song to calm myself down if I start getting riled up. Also, proper breathing helps (my breathing patterns get really messed up from holding my breath from excitement or from intense songs)
silmarilen

exozion wrote:

stop playing for pp
this doesnt work, i still get nervous on maps that wouldnt even give me 0.001pp
Sophia

Kaoru wrote:

Try not to think about the pp you'll get and just clear your mind (or let it wander to non-osu things)

That works decently for me. I also pause when I get a break before the end of the song to calm myself down if I start getting riled up. Also, proper breathing helps (my breathing patterns get really messed up from holding my breath from excitement or from intense songs)

This, specially the first line.

Alternatively, you can learn to play even when nervous as heck.
dung eater
don't retry so much

use larger tablet area
Reyvateil
Keep playing the map. Not saying to retry it a lot, but play it every few days three to five times, try to always play the whole map and only retry if you miss/accuracy sucks in the first fourth. Eventually the FC will come out as you improve at the game and keep the map in memory.
-sev
Stop overthinking. Breathe. Enjoy game. FC.
lilelf29
Pretty sure there's literally nothing you can do about it.
Either hope to get lucky so your nerves don't effect it or reach a point where you're so stupidly good that it doesn't even matter if you choke because you know you can reach that point with that acc again.
B1rd
Become a Zen monk.
Varetyr
FrzR
Happy thoughts.

And this.

B1rd wrote:

Become a Zen monk.
lilelf29

B1rd wrote:

Become a Zen monk.
+1 best suggestion yet.
Would actually solve this problem.
Karuta-_old_1
Think about how rrtyui can retry so many times to get a FC
Nyxa
I love how everyone is giving completely different advice

Listen to Kaoru. Best way is to not focus on the value of the results so much. That distracts you from actually playing the map (on top of making you nervous)
Also what Riince said is true. Try getting a bunch of easy FCs (not on Easy diffs, just FCs that are easy to do for you) for a few days, and then slowly start going for harder and harder stuff. Even if you're doing Normals with HDDTHR it helps since you get used to FCing. I've developed an issue where I'm not used to FCing anymore so whenever I'm about to do complete a good score (even if it's not super duper hard for me) I panic and do dumb shit, because I'm not even expecting to FC the map, which is bad.

tl;dr clear your mind and become a zen monkey
otoed1
playmore. AFter a while it just becomes less relevant. I do it all the time and still get fcs. Frankly, the nervousness is from a lack of self confidence which everyone is guaranteed to have. As you improve, maps will become easier and nervousness will appear less, as you can fc those songs with more ease. Frankly just playmore and it gets better. It will always be a thing tho. TBH IDK how those people play in the osu cup it must be so nerve racking.
Topic Starter
Yangu
Really good advice everyone, thanks

Tess-it's funny that you mention the HDDTHR normals, I actually always do this to warm up :P
Nyxa
When I was a lower rank (before ppv2 came out) I used to try to FC every map in a mapset with as many mods as I could, and it made me very consistent over time. Then I started retrying and everything went to shit. It's a tricky business but you'll just need to learn to use your nervousness to fuel your gameplay. I've noticed that when I'm nervous my muscles are way more relaxed, which would be amazing if I were relaxed myself since I could use the relaxed muscles to make even smoother movements, but since I'm panicky it actually makes missing easier because there's less control over my arms. It's sort of like the difference between scissor and red switches for me. At first reds made me really inaccurate because they were so light and I could easily slip up and accidentally hit a note too soon or too late, and I overstreamed a lot. But after I got used to it it actually made me more accurate than before because there was more flexibility so I could exert more control. Hope that some of this makes any sense.
Synpoo

Riince wrote:

exozion wrote:

stop playing for pp
idonno, wanting to FC isnt always about PP, i know there's a few maps i try to FC just because I like the song, whether or not its worth pp..
like https://osu.ppy.sh/s/124390

something about how the singing is ever so slightly off key to the music at some parts is actually really pleasant.
i accidentally just fc'd this right now but i'm not logged in

good thing it was really shitty accuracy (97%) or i actually would've been kind of sad
chainpullz
Move on to a different song (or take a break if you can't focus due to adrenaline rush) and come back to that song later. Eventually you'll get the go or will have moved on to bigger and better maps.
Rewben2

xasuma wrote:

shitft+tab+dont-care
Normally shift+tab won't help me at all when it comes to nervousness (although it may help me because I get less distracted by looking at my acc) but for one play - my top play - I actually didn't realise I was near the end of the song so I finished it before I would have normally got nervous from the fc hype.
silmarilen
shift tab only really works on first playthrough, after that you recognize certain patterns near the end of the map and you know you're almost there.
Topic Starter
Yangu

Rewben2 wrote:

xasuma wrote:

shitft+tab+dont-care
Normally shift+tab won't help me at all when it comes to nervousness (although it may help me because I get less distracted by looking at my acc) but for one play - my top play - I actually didn't realise I was near the end of the song so I finished it before I would have normally got nervous from the fc hype.
Lol I look at my acc and timer way too much-that may be part of the reason why I f up so much. And for songs I've played more than once, I know exactly when the end is so yeah..
yumi

Kaoru wrote:

clear your mind
ty Morpheus
Sh0keR
I feel you, I have the same problem sometimes when I'm about to FC, I would make the stupidest mistakes just as the song was about to end such as slider break or clicking way too early on a note and breaking the combo, I've done a few things such as hiding the score board on the side and lowered the size of the score and the accuracy hud so it's less visible to me and I just don't think about that as much.
x_Co0ki420ezi_x
roll it up

light it up

smoke it up

in the haaaaaaaaaaand like a saaaaaaaaaaand

#getlifted
ZenithPhantasm