forum

Is razer that bad?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
FishingForToby
I am thinking about getting the deathadder chroma but i keep hearing bad things about razer is it really all true? Or are these all just myths and people say these things when they do not even have a razer mouse? Please someone tell me why they are hated so much
Sophia
One thing I DO hear about razer is that it breaks/borks quite easily.
cheezstik
Think of it like how everyone just hates on mac or iphones etc., it becomes a bandwagon and people just start saying "don't get that" without even knowing the reason. There is a lot of blind hate. In this case, razer do have some problems worth noting, despite most telling you not to get them cos of reasons they don't even know.

Razer keyboards and mice had a lot of problems in the past, and customer service wouldn't do shit, also razer keyboards aren't even using authentic cherry mx switches, they are using a chinese copy of cherry mx switches, called kailh, and claiming that they are better than cherry mx switches. Their marketing strategy and product lineup overall tends to favour looks way too much (chroma everything) and disregard price, making their products a bit overpriced (Tournament edition blackwidow keyboard is an exception of this, one of the cheapest mechanical keyboards out there, but their overpriced products are mainly the chroma products and their headsets).
Bauxe
Their stuff seems to have a history of breaking quickly. A lot of their stuff is pretty overpriced too.

But the mice are honestly really nice.
xasuma

Bauxe wrote:

Their stuff seems to have a history of breaking quickly.
I've heard that of their keyboards. Havent had one so I can confirm nor deny.

Bauxe wrote:

Yes, they are really nice actually. They don't break. I can confirm.
Topic Starter
FishingForToby
Hm i am gonna get the newest mouse which is the deathadder chroma and some people say it is good but does anyone actually have experience with this mouse or a friend that does?
FieryLight
I got an abyssus. One of the switches on the bottom got loose after 4 hours (no, I didn't fiddle with that like crazy, or that much at all really). 2 months in, internals wobbly. 4 months in, way more wobbly, unbearable, got a CM storm spawn.

I callled customer service, they asked me a question and then hung up on my as I was replying.

Look around online and you see the same kinds of things everywhere. If their build quality was up to the standards of that like Logitech or Coolermaster then it'd be great but as it stands, you're throwing your money away.
Fraudo
From my experience with my razer mouse, it hasn't broken yet, but it doesn't click as nicely as when I got it, and the razer software is god awful. Almost everytime I've opened it it's changed my dpi or made my mouse zoom around the screen randomly. So take the criticisms semi-seriously, but no Razer isn't too bad. Generally speaking they are overpriced though, mouses included.
I Give Up
I ordered a product from razor once and it disappeared during shipment. It is so bad that it couldn't remain in this universe few hours after purchase.
Yuudachi-kun
Their keyboards look nice and I think they would be better than the generic HP keyboard I got out of the box that has one of its legs broken so I have to put a piece of paper underneath it to keep it standing up.

Razer - better than what I have™
XGeneral2000
I have a rubber-dome keyboard (5 years old) and headset (3 years old) from Razer that still both work perfectly, so I'm not sure about all of the complaints about their durability. I still have peripherals (keyboards, mice, controllers, etc) that still work after 10+ years, though, so maybe I just get lucky with the stuff I buy.

Razer products are pretty pricey, though.
Sh0keR
I recently bought Razer abyssus mice, my only complain it's not very comfortable for my hand for some reason or I just need some time to get used to it.
D e s
too expensive to tank
SnowflakeStreet
My brother has had a razer deathadder for the past year or so and he seems to be content with it.
winber1
nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so
Xayne

FishingForToby wrote:

Hm i am gonna get the newest mouse which is the deathadder chroma and some people say it is good but does anyone actually have experience with this mouse or a friend that does?
If you have already decided to get it, what is the point of this thread? Multiple people told you why you shouldn't go with Razer. If that hasn't changed your mind by now, nothing will. Just buy it and pray it doesn't break within 3 months of having it.
Purple
Their marketing is cringe inducing, and their new blackwidow keyboards are no more special than cheap chinese ripoffs of cherry MX key switches
Noobsicle
the deathadder is decent, i've had one working fine (3.5g version) for 2-3 years before the scroll wheel started failing

there are lots of horror stories about their keyboards and headphones dying within weeks/months of purchase, you'd be lucky to get a non-faulty razer product
uberpancake
I've had two razer mice and one razer headset. One mouse broke within a year of usage and the headset broke only after a few months. One mouse made it but the buttons felt so mushy and weird that I bought a new mouse from another brand instead. From my experience razer quality is not good quality, but maybe your mouse won't have problems.
Sojana
I have a razor naga, bought it like 5years ago, it still works fine. No ideaa, about the other models.
Midget

Sojana wrote:

I have a razor naga, bought it like 5years ago, it still works fine. No ideaa, about the other models.

Same with my deathadder. Don't know if I'm lucky or the feedback is crappy.
winber1
the original deathadders apparently had drifting issues, which I also experienced. also the deathadder is tiny and i don't like small mice.tjhe naga is for mmo's so it's a big waste of money if you aren't gonna use the numbers.

the newer versions of the deathadder are apparently decent tho

the point still stands that razer over prices most of their products.
vincaslt
I have a Deathadder, and I'm really happy about it.
NinjaNick
Why buy an over priced piece of garbage when better companies like Steelseries and Logitech make the best stuff around. I bought a Razer headset and I have since regretted that decision. It hurts my ears at times and is too tight on my head even when I stretch the speakers all the way down. My opinion, don't do it.
George Lopez
i have a razer deathadder and it works great and has worked fine the last 2 years. If i were to buy something now though i would probably get something else. I dont know about other equipment since im no expert on it but theres much better keyboards like the Corsair vengeance k70 instead of the razer stuff.
FreshMint
Been using my Deathadder since 4 years ago, and still going stronk.
Can confirm:

Bauxe wrote:

Xayne
The OLD mice are nice. Just like the 2013 version of the Black Widow is decent because they still used Cherry MX switches. Now they're using chinese knockoffs and trying to cut corners/costs, which leads to a less reliable product. As others have stated, the new mice tend to wear down quickly, typically the mouse buttons. Razer is charging the same and/or more for products that they've cut costs and lowered quality on. THAT's why Razer is "that bad". You can spend the same amount of money on another mouse/keyboard and get WAY better quality than you would with Razer. It may not have the yoloswag420 360noscopeMLG mountain dew and doritos shiny bright colors and super edgy font and acid-green color, but it will also still be working a year from now. Want a keyboard? Get a Ducky. Want a mouse? Get a Logitech. Same price as Razer, WAY better quality.
Karuta-_old_1
it is just an overpriced brand, made for gamers who don't mind spending money
ZenithPhantasm
Yes Razer is terrible. The only thing they did right was their pre synapse Deathadder 3.5G and their mousepads. Everything else sucks.
Yuudachi-kun

Xayne wrote:

It may not have the yoloswag420 360noscopeMLG mountain dew and doritos shiny bright colors and super edgy font and acid-green color, but it will also still be working a year from now.
That actually sounds pretty nice; I'll take ten.
show more