forum

Deciding between red and black switches

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Ikikaera
After using my laptop keyboard (which has an 80g actuation force) for a almost a year, I've made the decision to finally buy a mechanical keyboard.
Now, since I've been using a keyboard with such a high actuation force for a while, would you recommend me to use red, or black switches?
Vuelo Eluko
If youve been using 80g keys, you already have the stamina to benefit from the advantages black switches have over red, so i'd definitely recommend those, as someone who went from red to black and never looked back.

reds are overhyped, infinite stamina is a myth, they're actually worse for that since those muscles that pull the fingers back up which happen to be way weaker than the ones that push them down have to do overtime.
Topic Starter
Ikikaera

Riince wrote:

If youve been using 80g keys, you already have the stamina to benefit from the advantages black switches have over red, so i'd definitely recommend those, as someone who went from red to black and never looked back.

reds are overhyped, infinite stamina is a myth, they're actually worse for that since those muscles that pull the fingers back up which happen to be way weaker than the ones that push them down have to do overtime.
Thanks. I also became a pretty heavy tapper over the time, so even my laptop keyboard makes a lot of noise.
I'm having trouble finding decent keyboards though, since I'm looking for something that doesn't cost more than 70€.
Vuelo Eluko
if its just for osu you could look into getting a numpad and it would serve much the same purpose for osu but be substantially cheaper.
Topic Starter
Ikikaera
I'm going to buy a PC soon, so buying a complete keyboard would make much more sense.
Vuelo Eluko
well i donno, 100$ isnt an impossible price range, you'll just have to look into some different brands.
thats another reason why blacks are better than reds though, if you're going to be using the computer for any kind of typing, reds are damned annoying to type with.
Seizure

Riince wrote:

well i donno, 100$ isnt an impossible price range, you'll just have to look into some different brands.
thats another reason why blacks are better than reds though, if you're going to be using the computer for any kind of typing, reds are damned annoying to type with.
Disagree, had blues which are supposedly best for typing before getting reds and typing has gotten faster/easier for me
Holorin
For 70 Euros I think Cm Storm Quickfire will do the job. It will be hard to find a good Filco or Ducky in that range, maybe a 2nd hand one, idk.
I recently have bought a Ducky DK2108 Red switch and I must say I'm very pleased with red. Not too much noise so that I can play at night and I can last longer with red than black. I owned a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid Black switches and I had to sold it because it wore my hand down too fast in my assignment.
Topic Starter
Ikikaera
The problem is, I've found a 55€ Corsair K60. And I asked some friends for their opinion. They said it's an incredible keyboard, especially for such a low price.
I really want something in that price-range with black switches though.
B1rd
While laptop keyboards technically have 80g of actuation, that is only for a for a very small distance. Black switches have 60g of actuation force, but your fingers have to be pushing down the weight for a much longer time so black switches are much more taxing on finger stamina.
I'd recommend reds, but that's only because in my personal experience I found them easier to use. There's not really a common consensus about which key is better, so it's down to personal opinion really. A simplistic comparison is that blacks are better for speed and reds are better for stamina and control.
Noobsicle
if you're a heavy typist/tapper you may as well get blacks

not sure if that brand is good or not so do some googles
Topic Starter
Ikikaera

Noobsicle wrote:

if you're a heavy typist/tapper you may as well get blacks

not sure if that brand is good or not so do some googles
I'm hesitant about buying second-hand stuff. I always worry what kind of person used it previously.
Although.. the price..

edit: There were a bunch of reviews on amazon, but they weren't really good (except one). However, there was this review: http://www.totallydubbed.net/2014/02/25 ... heap-price
which seems kind of promising, but I'm kinda doubtful about this.
Topic Starter
Ikikaera
Sorry for self-bumping, but it's better than creating a new thread I guess.
Any opinions about this keyboard? http://www.amazon.com/CHERRY-MX-Board-3 ... ofessional

I've never heard of this brand, and the reviews on the german amazon were pretty mixed. there were many complaints, but a lot more positive reviews. I'm still not sure though. Has anyone used this keyboard?

edit: Oh, and don't pay attention to the price. it's 60€ in the german amazon.
B1rd
so you decided on blacks?
gregest
rubberdome master race
Nyxa
Just read this entire thread and use some reasoning and you will realize that one's fingers are not like another's and it is best to just read through all the switch descriptions and get the ones that seem like the best to you

Never ever ask other people for their opinions because they have different bodies and what works for them might not work for you

I got a cherry mx 3.0 with reds and i'm pretty content though if you decide to get reds I'd advise to get browns instead since they're just as light as reds but with tactile feedback. I don't see how those aren't objectively better than reds for a game like osu since you'll be able to keep track of your accuracy way better. I'm pretty happy with my reds though since I've always had lots of trouble with streaming because I have tiny hands and fingers that weren't all that well developed.

I don't think "infinite stamina" can ever be a thing but I do know that I sped up quite a bit after switching from laptop (scissor) switches to reds. I had to relearn accuracy but that didn't take too long, and now I don't really want to play with anything else, though I'm considering getting a brown numpad. Also if you're only getting it for osu then yes listen to Riince and get a numpad it saves you money and space. I bought mine for other stuff than osu but whenever I use it for osu I can only use the numpad and that is pretty inconvenient.

tl;dr buy blues rrtyui uses them so they must be good
Topic Starter
Ikikaera

B1rd wrote:

so you decided on blacks?
I guess I'll go for blacks if I can't get the corsair k60 for 55€.

@Tess

As I stated before, I'll have to get a complete keyboard sooner or later anyways, so buying a numpad is definitely not a good choice. I'm hoping to get rid off my laptop as soon as possible as well.

Also, thanks for all the replies. I think blacks fit me more though. I'm tapping pretty heavily, thanks to using this laptop keyboard for such a long time.