forum

too little beatmaps for osu!mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tsugumi-_old
for osu!standard,there are tons of beatmaps. for taiko and ctb,maps that are converted from the osu!standard beatmaps are still nice (especially for ctb,it's not necessary to play exclusive ctb map to get a good beatmap since the converted ones are also nice).there are also nice converts for taiko from the osu!standard beatmap.however, for osu!mania, the converted beatmaps are not nice(like simple patterns,too easy,etc) osu!mania is lacking of (ranked) beatmaps. i also observed the BATs for osumania are also working slowly compared to the osu!standard's (qualified maps are fast to get ranked unlike osumania's) which is unfair.the point is,osu!mania is the only mode that's lacking of nice beatmaps. well just sharing my thoughts,maybe there are opinions? :D or people who are thinking like this as well? :)
Kamikaze
We all know that pretty damn well. We all know...
JamesHappy
Need more BATs in osu!mania.
Agka
as a disclaimer and because I see this complain far too often: I really hope you only refer to ranked beatmaps.
ikzune
why does it matter there are plenty of unranked maps to have fun with and improve on.... just because there arent many ranked maps doesnt mean that there are too little maps
Bobbias
People seem to forget that the ranking criteria is actually pretty demanding, considering it's literally impossible to be ranked without pestering people for mods, and then pestering BATs to look at your map. So even if someone releases a good map, if they don't actively try to rank their map, it's never going to be ranked no matter how good it is.
gintoki147
How exactly you guys look for new maps?
You just go here and that's all?
Topic Starter
Tsugumi-_old

Agka wrote:

as a disclaimer and because I see this complain far too often: I really hope you only refer to ranked beatmaps.
yea i only refer to the ranked beatmaps :D
Topic Starter
Tsugumi-_old

laishiou wrote:

why does it matter there are plenty of unranked maps to have fun with and improve on.... just because there arent many ranked maps doesnt mean that there are too little maps
well, ranked beatmaps have score rankings, which is nice ^^
Kamikaze

Bobbias wrote:

People seem to forget that the ranking criteria is actually pretty demanding, considering it's literally impossible to be ranked without pestering people for mods, and then pestering BATs to look at your map. So even if someone releases a good map, if they don't actively try to rank their map, it's never going to be ranked no matter how good it is.
The problem is, that even with a lot of pestering, it's extremaly hard to rank stuff, which demotivates mappers from even trying. I know that, because I myself have been on the edge of throwing ranking my maps away
Bobbias
I understand that all too well.

I barely have the motivation to finish a single 1:30 diff these days, let alone a full spread, plus all the pestering for mods, applying mods, and then bugging BATs till someone actually pays attention.
Topic Starter
Tsugumi-_old

Bobbias wrote:

I understand that all too well.

I barely have the motivation to finish a single 1:30 diff these days, let alone a full spread, plus all the pestering for mods, applying mods, and then bugging BATs till someone actually pays attention.
hard osu!mania maps will always be considered 'overmapped' eventhough it's actually nice,that's the problem i guess? :o
Kamikaze

Tsugumi- wrote:

hard osu!mania maps will always be considered 'overmapped' eventhough it's actually nice,that's the problem i guess? :o
That's the second biggest problem, although not all hard maps are indeed considered as "overmapped"
Getting mods for longer maps is total pain in the ass and getting BATs to rank it is ten times harder. That's the main problem.
Pinecone
It's because it's much easier to rank songs if you know lot of people and you're popular. It's a pity since some good unranked maps made by unknown mappers are better than lot of the current ranked maps. But then I wont say all ranked maps were ranked because of popularity but genrally that's the case.
Luna

Tsugumi- wrote:

there are also nice converts for taiko from the osu!standard beatmap.
ahahahahahahaha

good one

:cry:
Tidek
Mania BATs ,RiP?
konekokittenzzz

Luna wrote:

Tsugumi- wrote:

there are also nice converts for taiko from the osu!standard beatmap.
ahahahahahahaha

good one

:cry:
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/107875

do auto mode for champion on taiko mode and tell me it isn't garbage
Topic Starter
Tsugumi-_old

-Kamikaze- wrote:

Tsugumi- wrote:

That's the second biggest problem, although not all hard maps are indeed considered as "overmapped"
Getting mods for longer maps is total pain in the ass and getting BATs to rank it is ten times harder. That's the main problem.
what i don't get is it's different for the osu!standard mode(and other modes i guess?), even really hard maps are allowed to get ranked that easily compared to osu!mania. maybe the BATs wanted the osu!mania mode to be 'beginner friendly'? lol
Bobbias

Tsugumi- wrote:

what i don't get is it's different for the osu!standard mode(and other modes i guess?), even really hard maps are allowed to get ranked that easily compared to osu!mania. maybe the BATs wanted the osu!mania mode to be 'beginner friendly'? lol
Ok, so it's a bad idea to compare osu!mania to other game modes. Osu!Mania is the youngest game mode in osu. I believe we have the fewest number of BATs who focus on our game mode, and we still don't have many good mappers I'm serious. most mappers people say are good aren't nearly as good as people think. Not all, but most.. Most of the good mappers in osu!mania came from different games. Osu! and the other game modes have had much more time for their community to develop and mappers to figure out what kind of patterns are acceptable for hard maps in those game modes.

Since osu!mania is very similar to a whole genre of games we now call Vertical Scrolling Rhythm Games (VSRGs), there are many players and mappers with experience in these games. This means that we have many potential mappers for osumania who have experience creating charts for other games, such as stepmania, o2jam, and BMS. Each of these games has developed their own stylistic approach to charts, but none of these games have a strict ruleset like we have here for determining of a map is rankable or not. In stepmania, there are no rules unless you're submitting your chart to a pack. For o2jam, there are no rules at all. For BMS, as far as I know there are no rules either, although the community does get involved in determining the difficulty rating. This has a few different effects.

One of the differences between osu!'s community and other games is that osu!'s ranking criteria are designed with the idea of making the game accessible to every skill level of player. This is why we have a rule requiring maps to have a proper difficulty spread, and mappers are encouraged to at least create an Easy, Normal and Hard (even though you only really need 2 of these to be rankable). In most other games, it's rare to create more than one difficulty for a given song. In o2jam and stepmania it's actually relatively rare for charters to make more than a single difficulty for a song at all. Other communities also do not have any sort of official modding process. It's up to the mapper/charter to find people to playtest their creation, and make any potential changes.

Now, the reason we lack difficult charts here has been discussed pretty recently in this thread but I'll talk about it a bit here too. In o2jam, for example, many of the difficult charts do not follow the music closely, focusing on creating interesting patterns rather than trying to be accurate to the music. In osu!mania, this kind of chart is unrankable, because they do not meet the quality that the ranking process demands of them. I said each game has it's own stylistic approach to charts, and this is most visible at the top level of difficulty. Top difficulty BMS charts would also be considered overmapped because of the extremely high note density. Look at these charts, and tell me how many of the patterns look like they match the music exactly, where every single note is clearly related to a sound in the music:

All other issues aside, I'm pretty sure neither of those would be considered rankable here, despite being accepted by the each game's community. However, if they were to try to get ranked here it would take forever to find anyone to mod those, and it would take even longer for them to be modded until they actually reach the sort of quality needed to be ranked. It seems to me that the harder a map is, the harder it is to make that map high enough quality to get ranked. Not to mention that the amount of work needed increases (nobody wants to hitsound a 6000 note chart unless they're a masochist).

I still think most of this 'quality' stuff is complete bullshit, but nobody listens to what I or any other player/mapper from a different game has to say. Our threads get locked, or we get ignored. On the off chance someone even bothers to reply, we get replies like the BAT posts in the 'We want ranked ET maps' thread, or loctav shits on our ideas without making a proper argument and repeating the same BS over and over. Sadly there's not much we can do about it.
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAS
You need to find more beatmaps
kidlat020
In o2jam, for example, many of the difficult charts do not follow the music closely, focusing on creating interesting patterns rather than trying to be accurate to the music. In osu!mania, this kind of chart is unrankable, because they do not meet the quality that the ranking process demands of them.
I think this much rule is acceptable. its not unreasonable either. because at the end of the day this is a rhythm game. If anything o2jam is the one breaking the very notion of this game being rhythm game in the first place.
Bobbias

kidlat020 wrote:

I think this much rule is acceptable. its not unreasonable either. because at the end of the day this is a rhythm game. If anything o2jam is the one breaking the very notion of this game being rhythm game in the first place.
I'm still not completely decided on where I think the line should be drawn. On one hand, I don't believe that kind of patterning should be acceptable for easier maps, but on the other hand, since I have experience playing many high level charts such as Aqua Trytone, I think some of them are extremely fun compared to maps that follow the rhythm more strictly. I will say that many o2jam ET charts are quite awful, but some of them are very good and fun, even if they don't follow the music strictly, and I feel that sometimes those kind of patterns should be acceptable. As you increase the difficulty of something, it becomes harder and harder to make patterns that follow the music perfectly, which is why you find that sort of mapping so commonly in the hardest maps. These kind of patterns are clearly only meant for the ET players, and if ET players enjoy them, I see no real reason they should be blocked.
Vuelo Eluko

Bobbias wrote:

kidlat020 wrote:

I'm still not completely decided on where I think the line should be drawn. On one hand, I don't believe that kind of patterning should be acceptable for easier maps, but on the other hand, since I have experience playing many high level charts such as Aqua Trytone, I think some of them are extremely fun compared to maps that follow the rhythm more strictly. I will say that many o2jam ET charts are quite awful, but some of them are very good and fun, even if they don't follow the music strictly, and I feel that sometimes those kind of patterns should be acceptable. As you increase the difficulty of something, it becomes harder and harder to make patterns that follow the music perfectly, which is why you find that sort of mapping so commonly in the hardest maps. These kind of patterns are clearly only meant for the ET players, and if ET players enjoy them, I see no real reason they should be blocked.
but then good players will have even more of an advantage they can use to rank up over the not good players!
or something
Spy
Actually,only 2 QAT active now,but a map only can be checked by 1 QAT,so it is impossible to rank maps if no BATs.
Ethereal-
why don't osu! change the osu!mania BATs? they're working too slow (or not active?), even it really took a long time to rank a qualified map :o . the QATs are fine but the BATs are slow. maybe we can nominate a new BAT or something,1 or 2 is enough :D
Lach

darrrzzz wrote:

why don't osu! change the osu!mania BATs? they're working too slow (or not active?), even it really took a long time to rank a qualified map :o . the QATs are fine but the BATs are slow. damn i really hope the staffs are reading this thread, maybe we can nominate a new BAT or something,1 or 2 is enough :D
Maybe more community members should step up and start modding maps more, and get nominations from BATs (because that's the way the BAT system works for some reason)
show more