forum

[duplicate] Numbered Level Ratings in beatmaps

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Garygoh884
I'd like to post this feature request which provides players the option to see Star Ratings in beatmaps by image visualization (current) or by number visualization (proposed). Because the current rating system may be sparse, due to the ambiguity of reading small stars as partial values and the inability to visualize ratings beyond 10, as calculated.

I'd like to propose a second rating system which resembles the current one, but visualizes the star ratings as level numbers instead of just recurreing star images. This would be efficient for most players as it's easier to read the difficulty level in numbers than looking tediously at these repetive images; and utilizes any star rating beyond 10 by calculations.

Level Ratings in a beatmap panel are drawn with spritefonts, using sprites from 0 to 9, and the "Lv." text sprite. All Level ratings comes in positive integers. After converting a Star value to a Level value, any decimal part in that value will be truncated, giving an integer value. Below is my conversion from a Star rating to a Level rating as follows.

L = (0.07 * S^3 + 8.13 * S^2 + 0.8 * S + 9) / 9,
where L stands for Level value, and S stands for Star value.

Conversion List (approximate)
Level 1: 0 Stars
Level 2: 1 Stars
Level 5: ~2.03 Stars
Level 10: ~3.06 Stars
Level 25: 5 Stars
Level 50: ~7.1 Stars
Level 100: 10 Stars
Level 150: ~12.17 Stars

Thanks for reading this request and I hope my idea would contribute readability improvements towards osu!. Feel free to leave feedback below.
Full Tablet
The current Star Rating value is shown in the upper left corner of the song selection screen (along with the OD, CS, etc..).

What is the purpose of changing the scale of the difficulty values?
Bara-

This is good enough
Oinari-sama
Support t/238352 instead. I don't see the revamped star rating replaced by an arbitary "level" anytime soon.