forum

New tablet player here, am I doing something wrong?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Sophia
Tablet area is like Mouse DPI, just preference.

Hand shaking may come from a grip that isn't natural for you or a grip that may be harming you in the long run. Try to hold the pen like you'd hold a normal pen. If you're already doing that try some different grip styles. It could also be that you're simply nervous.

I don't see the problem at 3.

Of course you need to play more to tablet to get adjusted to it. You bought it monday - It's friday. It hasn't even been a week.

The only thing you're doing wrong is trying to find what you're doing wrong when honestly you haven't even picked up the tablet yet.
Topic Starter
rorarii

Dm1321 wrote:

Tablet area is like Mouse DPI, just preference.

Hand shaking may come from a grip that isn't natural for you or a grip that may be harming you in the long run. Try to hold the pen like you'd hold a normal pen. If you're already doing that try some different grip styles. It could also be that you're simply nervous.

I don't see the problem at 3.

Of course you need to play more to tablet to get adjusted to it. You bought it monday - It's friday. It hasn't even been a week.

The only thing you're doing wrong is trying to find what you're doing wrong when honestly you haven't even picked up the tablet yet.
Thanks, I just was confused if I was doing something wrong, just need more practice is all
Oni_old_1
Hold it like an ordinary pen. Don't focus on the pen, but on the cursor. Anyways, are you hovering or dragging you pen? There's more control when you drag. :cry:
Topic Starter
rorarii

Dishonest wrote:

Hold it like an ordinary pen. Don't focus on the pen, but on the cursor. Anyways, are you hovering or dragging you pen? There's more control when you drag. :cry:
I hover, but it also feels like a delay when im playing, idk how to put it but, It's not
'smooth' if you know what im talking about, I have raw input off, using 1x mouse sensitivity and 0 offput
xasuma
Nothing wrong, relax and keep practicing.

pd: my area is like as small as yours.
try unlimited fps (press f7 a few times)
winber1
by buying a tablet you have done something gravely wrong
ZenithPhantasm

winber1 wrote:

Nyxa
I've had a tablet for nearly a year

Glazed wrote:

1. Tablet area http://puu.sh/drMNg/c3a5319b90.jpg I'm only able to do anything with this size, regardless of people saying "hurr durr big area=more accuracy" I cant do it.
You can't do it because you don't practice with it. Not making immediate progress doesn't mean that you won't make it in the future. Use a bigger area. Really, unless your tablet is like 8x6 inches just use the full area. That's not recommended since it cuts into your speed but if you play with full area for 6 months and then chip off like 1/5th of the area you'll feel like you doubled in speed. As long as you keep "force proportions" on adjusting to the new area will be a piece of cake.

Glazed wrote:

2. My hand shakes while I play sometimes while gripping the pen, i'll be on like a 800x combo for example then BOOM my hand starts shaking for no fukin reason.
It's called excitement. People get it when they're about to complete something amazing or see big butts. Mostly the latter.

Glazed wrote:

3. I play 1920x1080 borderless, I can do a lot of songs that I couldn't? do before on mouse I THINK, and I feel like my accuracy has improved??? I'm not sure.
What kind of question is this even
Like what do you want to know

Play at 1366x768

Glazed wrote:

In conclusion am I doing anything wrong? Am I just not fully adjusted to tablet yet? do I just need more practice with tablet?
More practice more discipline more patience

Less panicking less complaining less whining less insecurity

The only thing you're really doing wrong is thinking you're doing something wrong, and thinking shit like "I can only play with this area". That's bullshit, you can change your area to any size you want and unless it's 1x1-tier tiny you'll be able to learn to play with it just like anyone else. Stop limiting yourself. It's not that you can't. You're just not able to yet.

Glazed wrote:

also, http://puu.sh/drNcX/ae8b08ddd7.jpg this song I did SIGNIFICTANTLY BETTER than mouse, so yeah
Yeah, so? Before I got my mech I got some pretty good plays with my laptop keyboard. My #2 performance was with laptop keyboard, and when I play the song again with a mech I can't get that high an accuracy. Does that make my mech shitty? Does that mean I'm better with the laptop keyboard? No.

I think your big deal is that you're trying to blame everything but yourself and your lack of practice for your lack of progress. It's you, not the equipment (and by "equipment" I'm also referring to your hands).
Topic Starter
rorarii

Tess wrote:

I've had a tablet for nearly a year

Glazed wrote:

1. Tablet area http://puu.sh/drMNg/c3a5319b90.jpg I'm only able to do anything with this size, regardless of people saying "hurr durr big area=more accuracy" I cant do it.
You can't do it because you don't practice with it. Not making immediate progress doesn't mean that you won't make it in the future. Use a bigger area. Really, unless your tablet is like 8x6 inches just use the full area. That's not recommended since it cuts into your speed but if you play with full area for 6 months and then chip off like 1/5th of the area you'll feel like you doubled in speed. As long as you keep "force proportions" on adjusting to the new area will be a piece of cake.

Glazed wrote:

2. My hand shakes while I play sometimes while gripping the pen, i'll be on like a 800x combo for example then BOOM my hand starts shaking for no fukin reason.
It's called excitement. People get it when they're about to complete something amazing or see big butts. Mostly the latter.

Glazed wrote:

3. I play 1920x1080 borderless, I can do a lot of songs that I couldn't? do before on mouse I THINK, and I feel like my accuracy has improved??? I'm not sure.

I'm 100x more comfortable with small area, but I increase it by a tiny bit every day, so not sure.

Thanks for the critiscm, and I understand it all comes down to practice practice practice.
Play at 1366x768

Glazed wrote:

In conclusion am I doing anything wrong? Am I just not fully adjusted to tablet yet? do I just need more practice with tablet?
More practice more discipline more patience

Less panicking less complaining less whining less insecurity

The only thing you're really doing wrong is thinking you're doing something wrong, and thinking shit like "I can only play with this area". That's bullshit, you can change your area to any size you want and unless it's 1x1-tier tiny you'll be able to learn to play with it just like anyone else. Stop limiting yourself. It's not that you can't. You're just not able to yet.

Glazed wrote:

also, http://puu.sh/drNcX/ae8b08ddd7.jpg this song I did SIGNIFICTANTLY BETTER than mouse, so yeah
Yeah, so? Before I got my mech I got some pretty good plays with my laptop keyboard. My #2 performance was with laptop keyboard, and when I play the song again with a mech I can't get that high an accuracy. Does that make my mech shitty? Does that mean I'm better with the laptop keyboard? No.

I think your big deal is that you're trying to blame everything but yourself and your lack of practice for your lack of progress. It's you, not the equipment (and by "equipment" I'm also referring to your hands).
-Ephemeral-
I began with an area smaller than that I think. As you get more comfortable using a tablet, you can gradually increase the tablet area and still feel natural. All being said, it's not right to assume that full area is the best, since it might be physically uncomfortable to use such a large area depending on your grip.

In case you're not doing this already, try to use your tablet whenever you can, outside of osu. It will help you get used to it.
Nyxa
Glazed why did you quote my post without replying to any of it
And why is your nick lewd

Also -Ephemeral- your nick is confusing aa
You keep reminding me of birdguy with guy arms guy
buny

winber1 wrote:

yea i pirated mine for free
winber1
i torrented mine
Nyxa
You people are scum

Just buy it from iTunes like any decent person would
Bauxe
I fucking love when people answer their own questions in their own post.
buny

Bauxe wrote:

I fucking love when people answer their own questions in their own post.
are you calling me stupid?
Sophia

Tess wrote:

Glazed why did you quote my post without replying to any of it
And why is your nick lewd

Also -Ephemeral- your nick is confusing aa
You keep reminding me of birdguy with guy arms guy
He answered you, Tess. It's just that it's within the quote. For example :

I'm 100x more comfortable with small area, but I increase it by a tiny bit every day, so not sure.

Thanks for the critiscm, and I understand it all comes down to practice practice practice.
Play at 1366x768
Bold is what's Yours, but what's not bolded is his answer to your post. He just didn't make it stand out - Plus he wrote it inside the quote box. But there were answers.
Nyxa
Oh wow I hadn't seen that at all. Thanks for pointing it out.
GoldenWolf
Why does every thread has to derail somehow
ZenithPhantasm
Join #MouseArmy
EcksDee

Glazed wrote:

Dishonest wrote:

I hover, but it also feels like a delay when im playing, idk how to put it but, It's not
'smooth' if you know what im talking about, I have raw input off, using 1x mouse sensitivity and 0 offput
I think I might know what you mean by this.

Go into task manager - services and disable/stop UxSms

My cursor lags like half a second behind my pen when DWM is running. I got no idea why, it just happens.
winber1

GoldenWolf wrote:

hey
silmarilen

GoldenWolf wrote:

because we dont have any mods in here, so people can go free with whatever shit they want and nobody will do anything about it.
B1rd
I think there's one mod who occasionally comes here and goes into one random thread and locks it.
Nyxa
My G&R General thread got deleted pretty quickly
winber1
i would be best G&R mod

huehue
cheezstik

Tess wrote:

My G&R General thread got deleted pretty quickly
Cos it had discussion about banned players, or something that the mods actually don't want people to see, there was recently a thread about peppy that got deleted within minutes of it being up, some people might have seen it and know what I'm talking about. There are mods constantly around checking shit, they just don't delete the minor shitposting (winber, cookiezi420 / damntrain whatever) cos it really doesn't matter much, it would be shit if this forum was as strict as the #osu chat in game.
buny

silmarilen wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

because we dont have any mods in here, so people can go free with whatever shit they want and nobody will do anything about it.
are you calling me stupid?
eggstreme

Glazed wrote:

Hello, i'll start off by saying I KNOW I JUST NEED TO PRACTICE, but my main concern is that I've recently picked up tablet on Monday, so using for a few days, and I've been using mouse for about 5 months before I picked up tablet. Now, I understand there is nothing I can do to make myself instabetter, but I have a few concerns, because I REALLY feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I'm on-topic!
I've been using tablet for about a month and a half, I started off hating it and regretting my purchase but now it's super comfortable. Here's what I've found:
Starting with a small area is fine, I slowly increased it to about as big as it can be without me having to move my whole arm. 2.90*1.63 inch right now.
Pen grip takes a while. Keep experimenting, my tablet pen grip is completely different from my writing grip. You're probably better off holding the pen upright for better control, and gripping it not too close to the tip (try like 1/3 to 1/2 way up the pen). I also switched from a 4-finger grip to 3-finger because using the ring finger is too taxing on my hand.

Have fun 8-)
Deathripi
Own experience: Playing with the same resolution as you ,full tablet. Changed the tablet range so that I can keep my hand mostly on one place and move only my fingers around.
Basically what I've done was get a comfortable position to place my hand while holding my pen and then stretch my hand to a comfortable place and that would be my tablet : screen ratio. I'll post a picture tomorrow since im posting from my phone ✌️.