forum

Mechanical Keyboard Reccomendations

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
c h e f
Okay first off, I would prefer if this wasn't created into a complete debate about which mechanical keyboard is better than the other. Please just post your opinion, but you can do whatever.

Okay, with my question I am wondering what keyboard I should get for a osu! improvement. I know most of the keyboards are based on preference but I don't have the money nor time to try out the variety of keyboards out there. I am looking for a good mechanical keyboard with a price under 200$ (Not sure what the other currency prices are). Similar to Mouse vs. Tablet, this question is all about preference. I would like to know each of your opinions.

Additional Question - You don't need to answer this one. I would like to know your preference on what switches are best for osu! (Yes I know this is another opinion question but whatever)

Anyways thank you all for visiting this post :D

Edit: I am switching from a Logitech G105, so this will be my first mechanical keyboard. I am personally thinking about the Corsair K70s as they have switch options. I am debating whether I should get the blue switches or red switches as they seem to be different but similar. Blues - Click sound when u press, less sensitive Red - No click sound, very sensitive. I kind of want an in between. And I know there are probably keyboards just as good as the K70 out there and cheaper. If any of you do know one that performs basically just as good as a K70 than I would like for you to post that.
[Bystander]
Go with Mx Reds that's the best advice
Corsair K70 is nice
Gumpy
Quickfire storm tk is nice
-Ephemeral-
Personally own 5 keyboards, 2 mx blues, 2 mx reds and 1 mx browns. It's no surprise that you'd probably get most speed out of reds due to the marginally lower resistance. However I probably prefer blues due to better accuracy. The difference between the resistances is small because all three use the same spring, just different sliders.

I use my laptop's membrane keyboard for osu.

As for recommendations, you'd have differing options depending your location. But seeing that you're probably in the US, you'd quite easily get a CoolerMaster board. The best price to quality would be a Quickfire Rapid or Rapid-I depending whether you want backlight or not. Choices for mech boards are much more abundant than most people think, but it really comes down to how much effort and money you want to dedicate to your board. If you have time, take a look on http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/
AnotherEpicName

[Bystander] wrote:

Go with Mx Reds that's the best advice
Corsair K70 is nice
got this
can confirm
very nice build quality, reds are great for gaming tho ofcourse the first day you'll have to get used to it.
IppE

IcyyyHD wrote:

I am looking for a good mechanical keyboard with a price under 200$
If your budget is really that high, Filco Majestouch 2.

If you want something cheaper, look at CM Storm keyboards and the Qpad MK-50.

Corsairs aren't really worth the price premium unless you really like the design.
AnotherEpicName

IppE wrote:

IcyyyHD wrote:

Corsairs aren't really worth the price premium unless you really like the design.
the 'premium' you pay is basicaly because its pretty much made of steel, so you can smack someone in the face with it and it'll be fine
keyboards with similar build quality and options pretty much cost the same
Gumpy
Hitting someone in the face isn't exactly a selling point to put on the box.
AnotherEpicName

Gumpyyy wrote:

thats only when you fail to concider the possibility of having to fight someone who tries to steel your cookies irl when gaming
Gumpy

AnotherEpicName wrote:

Gumpyyy wrote:

thats only when you fail to concider the possibility of having to fight someone who tries to steel your cookies irl when gaming
How would I be able to pull out the cord so quickly?
Maus
Red switches brah
AnotherEpicName

Gumpyyy wrote:

How would I be able to pull out the cord so quickly?
it features a long cord, hue
Topic Starter
c h e f

IppE wrote:

IcyyyHD wrote:

I am looking for a good mechanical keyboard with a price under 200$
If your budget is really that high, Filco Majestouch 2.

If you want something cheaper, look at CM Storm keyboards and the Qpad MK-50.

I'm not really buying a keyboard much for the design but for the quality.
Of course I would prefer if it looked nice :P But if It comes down to it than I don't really need what it looks like/ design.
Thanks for ur rec. :)
Topic Starter
c h e f

-Ephemeral- wrote:

Personally own 5 keyboards, 2 mx blues, 2 mx reds and 1 mx browns. It's no surprise that you'd probably get most speed out of reds due to the marginally lower resistance. However I probably prefer blues due to better accuracy. The difference between the resistances is small because all three use the same spring, just different sliders.

I use my laptop's membrane keyboard for osu.

As for recommendations, you'd have differing options depending your location. But seeing that you're probably in the US, you'd quite easily get a CoolerMaster board. The best price to quality would be a Quickfire Rapid or Rapid-I depending whether you want backlight or not. Choices for mech boards are much more abundant than most people think, but it really comes down to how much effort and money you want to dedicate to your board. If you have time, take a look on http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/
Alright first off, I would like to thank you for spending your time writing that. I appreciate your answer and I well idk.
Either way thanks for your answers and time. I'll look into the reddit page too :D
Topic Starter
c h e f

AnotherEpicName wrote:

the 'premium' you pay is basicaly because its pretty much made of steel, so you can smack someone in the face with it and it'll be fine
keyboards with similar build quality and options pretty much cost the same
Hmm that seems... interesting :P
Tbh I like how Corsairs look but like my other post, I'm really looking for quality of the keyboard over the design of it.
But I mean of course how would anyone NOT want to have a keyboard you can smack someone with :P
Lol but thanks for the post :P
Gumpy
Learn to quote properly instead of triple post.
Topic Starter
c h e f
lol ok I'm not good at forums :P
BrokenArrow
Gumbpyyy always so grumpy
Chokladboll
If you want something in between, then you should really get a keyboard with Cherry MX Browns, as they are very light, but also have the tactile feel of the blue switches