forum

osu! nearly broke me...ish~

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
a1l2d3r4e5d6
This is probably because I play too much in one session.

After 11 months of playing I have learned that:
-Whenever after I have these long sessions, I start to see the game itself playing when I close my eyes. I'd have a few minutes of gameplay going on inside my head before it disappears when I'm about to sleep
-When I put music on, my head instantly creates a beatmap for it for me to mentally play along with.

On the plus side though, I'm pretty sure I got better at badminton because of osu! This friend that I usually play with hasn't won a match against me after I started attempting harder AR8+ maps. His 5-match lead got destroyed in another 5 matches against me! :P

Anyways, has anyone else experienced this mental gameplay when you close your eyes? It annoys me a bit because I can't enjoy my music collection when it happens as the game puts me on edge. my poor collection of supercell, EGOIST and ClariS songs T_T
Ringohan
It's a real thing, and it's called the Tetris effect.

Wikipedia wrote:

The Tetris effect (also known as Tetris Syndrome) occurs when people devote so much time and attention to an activity that it begins to pattern their thoughts, mental images, and dreams. It is named after the video game Tetris. (...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect
Topic Starter
a1l2d3r4e5d6

Ringohan wrote:

It's a real thing, and it's called the Tetris effect.

Wikipedia wrote:

The Tetris effect (also known as Tetris Syndrome) occurs when people devote so much time and attention to an activity that it begins to pattern their thoughts, mental images, and dreams. It is named after the video game Tetris. (...)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect
Wow quite an interesting syndrome. After reading further, I would consider it a habit but not serious enough that I start hitting circular shapes in real life.
I think this also has something to do with how I play badminton as well. I always hit too early in the sport because I almost always hit circles way too early in the game.
Granger
Im noticing the same thing, strange enough i start imaginally playing osu!standart maps while i only play catch the beat.

Then again, i always started imagining shapes and patterns when hearing music. In that sense, osu! maps are just another pattern.
Nathan
One time I was fingering someone and accidentally started streaming 400 bpm, that person died
-_Lazy_-_old

sukiNathan wrote:

One time I was fingering someone and accidentally started streaming 400 bpm, that persion died
this
Gumpy
osu! is actually designed to make you insane.
Athrun
My table tennis and minecraft skills actually improved thanks to osu lel.

And there are times when I'm listening to music, a beatmap is present in my head.
domSaur

sukiNathan wrote:

One time I was fingering someone and accidentally started streaming 400 bpm, that person died

anyways, yes i did experience this before. Now no longer since i'm barely enthusiastic to play the game..
Athrun

sukiNathan wrote:

What the...
buckiehero
omg haha i also create beatmaps in my mind that are sooo perfect that i want to map them, bad news is i dunno how to map :C SAD SAD SAD SAD
silmarilen

Athrun_Yamato wrote:

My table tennis and minecraft skills actually improved thanks to osu lel.
are you sure it wasnt just because you played table tennis and minecraft?
Choco x Mint
It's too normal. Sometimes after a game I see my background swirling like it's apart of some special effect. It's perfectly normal I say XD
Shohei Ohtani
How the fuck do you have skills in minecraft its literally just legis ahaaahahahaha
Gumpy

CDFA wrote:

How the fuck do you have skills in minecraft its literally just legis ahaaahahahaha
Need to mine those blocks faster.
- Marco -
minecraft level?

k lel
Granger

CDFA wrote:

Hes most likely reffering to the PvP part of MC... as in, he can aim better now.
Not that that helps much in MC, whoever got the better gear/first strike almost always wins because the PvP there is god awfull. (the whole combat system is...)
Kouya-
I think it's time to take a break .
Athrun

CDFA wrote:

Shit happens when you play minecraft and you need the skills to kill people. Lel.
Scintillate
the game didnt break you. you're just obsessed with it and its all you think about. its what i did with league a year ago; i work up and all i did was play league until my eyes hurt too much then i just went to sleep. then, its all you think about. like a swear i used to hear champions sounds or i used to hear them talk when my room was quiet. it was stupid and makes everything else in your life miserable. if youre so obsessed with a game and its all you think about then stop playing it.. anyway congrats at getting better at badminton. ;)
thelewa
when I was on my most active I didn't even remember anything outside of the game and all of my dreams were just me playing osu!
to this day I still sometimes realize that some score I thought I had was actually just a dream

my sense of time is still recovering, the past four years in terms of osu! are compressed into what feels like a week
I was often baffled by how some scores of mine were over two years old when I could remember doing them yesterday or the day before that

I also had very intense closed-eye visuals about osu!