forum

How to train consistency

posted
Total Posts
show more
chainpullz
If you aren't going to accept any answer but your own why do you even ask a question? They gave you an answer. In fact, they gave you the same answer people always give to this question.
buny

Akali wrote:

Did you read sticky threads on how to improve

WELL THAT'S JUST RUDE
Gumpy
Don't worry it's better than my consistency so actaully you should be pro.
Topic Starter
Nyxa

chainpullz wrote:

If you aren't going to accept any answer but your own why do you even ask a question? They gave you an answer. In fact, they gave you the same answer people always give to this question.
If you think that asking a question means that you have to accept whatever answer is given you then I feel sorry for you.

But I doubt that you really think that. I was just asking why said answer would work, and nobody managed to answer that. I'm still gonna give it a try regardless, it's not like I have anything to lose. But explanations are always nice, you know
Purple
Never retrying is damn stupid. The bandwagon mentality in these forums will never to impress me.

If you want to really improve consistency then learning low AR, playing technical maps and marathons on hidden AKA what WWW does is the way to go.

Examples of technical maps are maps like Scarlet Rose, Kirby MIXes, The Big Black.. anything that forces you to move your cursor in jerky ways. They will help you learn to keep your cursor steady, make straight lines between circles and to never skip any hit objects.. provided you play them right and not mash through them.
Vuelo Eluko
Zapy maps
buny
play more
RaneFire
Consistency is a bit of a paradox. As far as building consistency goes, I should be doing ok? I like to play maps once... or maybe just enough to count on one hand, with a few exceptions. I like playing maps to the end (I have a huge total score compared to my playcount). I also really like technical maps with complex patterns or aim requirements. Although not an awesome player, I do regard myself as pretty consistent, but somehow I don't agree with confining it to a definition of "play once and move on."

There are a select few maps which I choose to retry, because they can still teach me something. The goal is not just to fix random mistakes. Sometimes there aren't even any mistakes and I'm just reinforcing something like accuracy (being bad isn't a mistake). These are things I know I had trouble with anyway. So then I must learn to do them. I suppose once you reach a certain level of consistency, you'll be able to tell what you can and can't do without calling them mistakes.

If you just apply blanket methodology, never retrying and just move on, it doesn't mean you will make a better score on your first try. It just means that you will play more maps and have more chances of FC'ing stuff on the first try, and often those FC's will not contain the stuff that gives you problems.

If you come across something you can't do, then you know it's going to catch you out if you ever see something like it again. That's going to ruin your consistency right there, so you need to fix it. Although there are things which are slightly too hard at the moment. So then you just deal with it and move on. I suppose that's where "play it once and move on" comes from. But you certainly should retry stuff which can be fixed, if you're going to learn "consistency". You don't learn consistency by avoiding trouble. Let's not forget that rrtyui is pretty consistent even though he is infamous for retrying, because he retried stuff which gave him problems he could fix.

xi - time files [Another] is an example of a map I retried over 50 times just recently, because it taught me to be more consistent. I aimed to alternate the slider-streams more accurately (playstyle, even though 300/100/50 doesn't matter, I like them to be in the center of the hit error bar), to jump between patterns at exactly the right time, between triples and doubles etc. without tapping or jumping early/late, even to just make sure my reading method is the same for each play. I think of this as training consistency, because I focused on the fine details which I usually leave up to autonomous action while sight-reading.

Consistency is a mindset, not just a set of rules. Playing maps to the end is a consequence of training consistency, but you only need to play past the sections which give you trouble. Retrying vs playing once is not, and is only an indication of how consistent you are, since anything you can't do is a hole in your consistency. It's like studying vs writing a test.
chainpullz
The most beneficial play to training consistency is the first play since you have no memory of what is in the map. Each successive play becomes worse and worse for training consistency. Given a countably infinite set of maps of equal difficulty (whatever the fuck this actually means) and 0 repetition across all of the maps and music, the most efficient way to train consistency is to play each map once.

It is obvious that such an infinite map set does not exist and even if it were finite it probably would not either, nor is such an example particularly helpful since if there was any sort of repetition (note that repetition is not well defined but should include things like geometric patterns, correspondences between rhythmic patterns and hit circle mapping, rhythmic patterns, etc.) then playing maps that have the most in common with other maps that you want to be consistent at is more effective than maps that don't.

Also, if we have maps of different difficulty (however you want to define this will work), then there is a possibility that the nth play of one map is more beneficial than the first play of another map. An extreme example of this might be to consider a 4 hr long marathon map with an extreme variety of mapping and an extreme difficulty (never dipping 7* on a 30 second interval perhaps) versus an easy TV Size (perhaps 5* average but only really 4.4* in most areas with one 15 second section that is like 5.6* difficulty perhaps). You could probably play the marathon a lot before it becomes better to move onto the tv size.

Since there are too many factors, we can't really compare the nth play of one map versus the 1st play of another. Assuming that the maps you play are close enough to a situation where we can compare them and that there are enough of them, then the "greedy" (Comp Sci term) answer is to just play each map once. This is the accepted answer and since nothing is defined well enough there is no way to give an actual proof that one answer is better than the other.

(Note that this also means there is no "best" answer and this applies to a good 90% of the questions that are asked here. Any answer claiming to be absolute is usually wrong though, unless it's in response to an absolute question such as "I'm doing x,y,z when I play. Will this make it impossible for me to improve" and the answer is no)
RaneFire

chainpullz wrote:

The most beneficial play to training consistency is the first play since you have no memory of what is in the map. Each successive play becomes worse and worse for training consistency. Given a countably infinite set of maps of equal difficulty (whatever the fuck this actually means) and 0 repetition across all of the maps and music, the most efficient way to train consistency is to play each map once.
And what would you say about being able to perform exactly the same on repetitive plays "consistently"? Isn't this a measure of consistency? That is what it means after all... without deviation. This is not hypothetical. It actually happens to me.

The problem with defining consistency is that people equate it to being perfect. This isn't true because it is fundamentally a level of understanding of what you can and can't do. It's what you can do on your first play, as though it was your 100th.

If you are consistent, you will usually FC something you can FC on the first play. There is nothing to stop you from FC'ing the next either. Similarly, if you don't FC something on the first play, then you probably won't FC it in next 100 either, because you'll just do the same thing again. So then you can move on after 1 play.
chainpullz

RaneFire wrote:

chainpullz wrote:

And what would you say about being able to perform exactly the same on repetitive plays "consistently"? Isn't this a measure of consistency? That is what it means after all... without deviation. This is not hypothetical. It actually happens to me.

The problem with defining consistency is that people equate it to being perfect. This isn't true because it is fundamentally a level of understanding of what you can and can't do. It's what you can do on your first play, as though it was your 100th.

If you are consistent, you will usually FC something you can FC on the first play. There is nothing to stop you from FC'ing the next either. Similarly, if you don't FC something on the first play, then you probably won't FC it in next 100 either, because you'll just do the same thing again. So then you can move on after 1 play.
You make a good point. I do think it is important to differentiate between consistency and memorization though. If you are consistent after the nth play but variable before then, is that the consistency you are looking for? I agree that consistency should include that the nth play is the same as the first play. When training consistency though how do we factor in memorization?

Moreover, assume we have some metric that allows us to measure a play such that the distance between each play coincides with the consistency between them. We could then write a sequence of plays in terms of this metric and have that the nth play is consistent with the (n+2)th play but the nth play and the (n+1)th play be as inconsistent as we desire. Would we consider this sequence of plays consistent even though it never converges? In fact, we could even just fix the odd plays and choose the even plays at random. Would you consider a player who played consistently only every odd play to be consistent? I wouldn't.
Kunino Sagiri
well I got the exact same situation except far worse than you do and I have 95k playcount already and probably more since I play more offline

Some of the plays I've made there are several months before but when I played them today I have 0 improvement.
But at least I know where the problem comes from and it's from my shit 3$ mouse and I don't plan on changing this till the day I quit. Every jump I do makes me lose my balance and is plain suffering to even move it so I just gave up on trying to even FC jump maps
chainpullz
If you play the same now 3 months later then that is the exact opposite problem of what we are discussing. In fact, I would say you are very consistent then.
Kunino Sagiri

chainpullz wrote:

[shitpost]
contain yourself to osu shitposting threads
buny
[insert 5 paragraphs that ultimately lead to "play more"]
Topic Starter
Nyxa
Wow people actually replied

Purple wrote:

Never retrying is damn stupid. The bandwagon mentality in these forums will never to impress me.

If you want to really improve consistency then learning low AR, playing technical maps and marathons on hidden AKA what WWW does is the way to go.

Examples of technical maps are maps like Scarlet Rose, Kirby MIXes, The Big Black.. anything that forces you to move your cursor in jerky ways. They will help you learn to keep your cursor steady, make straight lines between circles and to never skip any hit objects.. provided you play them right and not mash through them.
That's some really neat advice, thanks. I'll try that.

I think that everyone in this thread is saying something that holds a little truth, you guys are just looking at it too one-sidedly. I think consistency can be broken down into three things;

Aim consistency
Tapping consistency, and
Reading consistency

Now, each of those three needs to be up on a certain level to be able to FC a map (besides the necessary skill required). In my case, my main issues are with aim and reading, since my tapping is only ever inconsistent when I can't keep up with the map, which doesn't really relate to consistency as much as skill. Over the past few days, I've found that my aim is inconsistent partially due to my reading (which is the big problem really), and partially due to how I aim, I think. I hold the stylus pretty low down (like where you'd hold a normal pen) and rest my pinkie on the tablet. I use full area though, and I have tiny hands/wrists so I need to move around quite a bit, and I think that this is the problem. My table doesn't provide much friction so it's easy for my wrist to slip a little bit, which at cs4 isn't that drastic but when playing HR it's awful, and causes for those stupid misses that I shouldn't have made. In a simple example, when playing Remote Control, I'll consistently FC the fullscreen jumps but miss at the easy parts.

Which brings me to my next issue. My reading is reaaally inconsistent, and I have no clue how to train it. I play more EZ and FL than almost everyone else on my friends list, so it's not like I don't practice reading, and really, I can read, but I lose focus reaaally often. And I have no clue how to keep that focus. Most of the time when I'm playing my thoughts will be in Oompa Loompa Land and when I snap back to my senses and realize I'm doing a good play I panic and miss. I tried focusing for the duration of an entire map but I can't do it. I'll focus for 10 seconds and drift off again. The only thing I can focus on consistently is tapping (when I'm paying attention to my accuracy) but doing that still doesn't do much for my aiming. So, basically, I need to either not realize that I'm doing a good play (which happened with both my #1 and #2 performances), or be lucky enough to be able to play through the panic.

Whenever I'm FCing something good and come close to the end I get super nervous and with every circle I click my focus deteriorates up to a point where I'm barely aware of what's going on in the playfield. It feels like playing FL except the shit is right there, it just doesn't register or something. Really annoying. I tried playing more FL to deal with the nervosity but I always panic when I hit 200 combo and the area becomes super tiny, just like when I'm nearing the end of any impressive FC.

So yeah all of the "play a map once" stuff sounds nice and all but it doesn't really help much, and I'm sort of stumped on what else I could do. I'm still gonna try to fix up the aim shit but when it comes to staying focused I don't know what I could do to practice that. I'm gonna try out Purple's "Marathons with HD" suggestion, I think that trying to FC marathons with HD might help improve my focus a little. Nothing to lose, anyway.

Thanks for all the advice so far though, I really appreciate it.

Also buny your "play more" posts are getting more original by the day, it's awesome
Keep up the good work
buny
thx i'm aiming for 5k posts by the end of the year
Topic Starter
Nyxa
Post more
tfg50

Tess wrote:

I play more EZ and FL than almost everyone else on my friends list, so it's not like I don't practice reading, and really, I can read, but I lose focus reaaally often. And I have no clue how to keep that focus. Most of the time when I'm playing my thoughts will be in Oompa Loompa Land and when I snap back to my senses and realize I'm doing a good play I panic and miss. I tried focusing for the duration of an entire map but I can't do it. I'll focus for 10 seconds and drift off again. The only thing I can focus on consistently is tapping (when I'm paying attention to my accuracy) but doing that still doesn't do much for my aiming. So, basically, I need to either not realize that I'm doing a good play (which happened with both my #1 and #2 performances), or be lucky enough to be able to play through the panic.

Whenever I'm FCing something good and come close to the end I get super nervous and with every circle I click my focus deteriorates up to a point where I'm barely aware of what's going on in the playfield. It feels like playing FL except the shit is right there, it just doesn't register or something. Really annoying. I tried playing more FL to deal with the nervosity but I always panic when I hit 200 combo and the area becomes super tiny, just like when I'm nearing the end of any impressive FC.

So yeah all of the "play a map once" stuff sounds nice and all but it doesn't really help much, and I'm sort of stumped on what else I could do. I'm still gonna try to fix up the aim shit but when it comes to staying focused I don't know what I could do to practice that. I'm gonna try out Purple's "Marathons with HD" suggestion, I think that trying to FC marathons with HD might help improve my focus a little. Nothing to lose, anyway.

Thanks for all the advice so far though, I really appreciate it.

Also buny your "play more" posts are getting more original by the day, it's awesome
Keep up the good work
That happens to me all the time. Nervousness is the only reason I don't have (at least) 3-4 (HD)HR SS scores. I always starting shaking like hell on the ending because I'm thinking stuff like "OK OK just complete the score as usual and you will have the SS" "gotta fc this now". That's why I hate maps with pauses near the end I almost always miss right after the pause T.T . Also, this has nothing to do with reading, it's just your mindset when you are fcing a map. If it happens all the time try to focus on ALL the circles (individually), that has helped me MANY times (especially on hr).

That is with hr, nomod is another thing. I'd say I can SS/fc nomod without getting nervous unless the map means a lot to me and I'd also say that I can do that because of the consistency training I did when I changed my tablet area. I kept playing easy maps (ar>8 star>4.2 star<4.7) with nomod until I could fc some maps in 1 try or get really close to doing that. For example, my fc in this (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/134963) took 2 or 3 retries but bancho decided to not submit the score so I played the map 1 more time and fced it. idk how people are consistent at hard stuff, hard stuff is too hard I'm trying to move up in difficulty when I think about easy maps (something like before 4.2 was easy now 4.6 is easy) really slowly and just trying to fc maps that I feel I can fc comfortably.
Topic Starter
Nyxa

tfg50 wrote:

Nervousness is the only reason I don't have (at least) 3-4 (HD)HR SS scores.
I really really know how this feels
One time I got either 1x100 or 1xmiss on the same hdhr map like 6 times in a row, and the mistake always happened at a different spot in the map.

tfg50 wrote:

I'd say I can SS/fc nomod without getting nervous unless the map means a lot to me and I'd also say that I can do that because of the consistency training I did when I changed my tablet area.
I was thinking back this morning on a period I had where I was really really consistent
Like I would fire up Placebo Dying and SS the first 2/3rds of the map over and over again, and only miss near the end due to lack of stamina or nervousness. I can't do that at all anymore, but during that time period I was really super consistent, and I have no clue why it started or why it stopped. It was preceded by a month break followed by offline practice to get back into the difficulties I used to play, and at first I only played a bunch of easy maps so that I wouldn't hurt myself

After 2 days of doing that I could deathstream and keep combos like mad on almost any map. I went from not being able to pass the scarlet rose intro to passing it with like a 200-300 combo in a single try. I think that playing easy maps might be the way to practice consistency since they're a simple gateway to get used to keeping a combo.

Also, I think that I might have so many consistency issues because I'm constantly pushing myself to the limit. I'm gonna try and stay around a lower level and avoid super hard shit for now until I'm at a rank where I feel like I can't get any more scores to climb up with my skill at that particular time. I'll post any progress or results in here, of course.
Omgforz

Omgforz wrote:

If you want good consistent aim

don't try to pass maps.

Go for fcs in one try, don't even think about retrying, just play through the song, don't mind any misses. Misses are a sign that you suck and you did something wrong, accept them and move on, no excuses.

Try playing songs you can most probably fc but you still miss randomly on once every day, until you can fc it in one try for like 2 days straight or whatever rule you want to come up with.

If you just get random misses, but you know how to read, this is the way to remove them, if you get ABSOLUTELY DEMOLISHED by the map/pattern and you have no clue how to read the pattern, look at it in the editor, remember how the pattern's flow actually goes, and then proceed to play the map again, until you get it down once, afterwards maybe try playing it once every day until you can fc that pattern in one try.

Also, focus on your movement, if you die, don't just click back to menu or retry, try using that handy watch replay function when you die, look how you died or where you missed, detect random misses and see the cause for it. (Half replay speed helps in that regard too)
Just leaving this here, as it's what I basically did to get to where I am right now. I would most likely agree to ranefire that it's more of a mindset thing than anything else, just like when you want to be a really fast player you have to have a bit of a different mindset too.

Although, Tess, maybe you're overthinking this, it almost seems you want more information than actually playing the game.
Topic Starter
Nyxa
I probably am overthinking this, but I think I have a good idea of what I can try to practice now, so thanks. Overthinking is probably why I play 1000x better offline or with nofail, but I can tackle that by just

buny wrote:

play more

Thanks again!
RaneFire

chainpullz wrote:

You make a good point. I do think it is important to differentiate between consistency and memorization though. If you are consistent after the nth play but variable before then, is that the consistency you are looking for? I agree that consistency should include that the nth play is the same as the first play. When training consistency though how do we factor in memorization?
I thought about this and played a bit. Yes, memorisation is a factor, since sometimes there might be something I didn't expect on a sight-read, or just didn't read it properly. If this happens, I make mental notes of areas I mis-read during the sight-read play, so on the 2nd play I typically FC any song I am capable of. When there are no surprises however, 1 play is usually enough.

So... "consistent after the nth play but variable before then" applies after the 1st full playthrough, and it's why I like playing maps to the end first. Whether it is the 2nd or the 100th after that, doesn't really matter, I always do better on the second play for the reason regarding memorisation, and immediately start focusing on the finer details and my accuracy will typically improve as well as a result.

I'm not going to consider HD in this equation, because that depends on your skill level and how much memorisation you need to do, and some people can sight-read a good portion of maps. Though, If there are things I can't do, then there will be variability. That's a given though, until I can finally play those things and then do them "consistently."
- Milhofo -
You can really practice everything by just playing, of course some specific maps for specific let's call it "skills". Consistency is one of those things that just comes with overall experience I'd say. And I can agree with everyone saying to not retry maps too much, I might try 5-10 times if I really want that score but that's the max.

And if I learn a new difficulty of maps I don't expect to FC it right off the bat, I just play the song, finishing without FC'ing might not give you PP but it'll improve your gameplay. My usual improvements go like: FC easy map -> Pass harder diff with low % -> pass with high % -> FC -> move to next diff

You're higher ranks than me but I still wanted to share my opinion..
Topic Starter
Nyxa
I set my retry limit at 20 and it's still not enough sometimes
1missing the map over and over only further convinces me that I'm able to do it

Also one time I redid a map like 103 times and I did get the score I wanted. It gave me no pp, but it was my first Insane SS, so it was very worth it for me. That might seem like a lot of plays to most but I sometimes just retry a map really often because I like the song. Dunno, it helps me train my patience and think about stuff. I don't think that retrying is inherently bad, the big issue is that people will keep retrying to FC a pattern they can't do. If you keep 1missing in different spots of the map it means you can do it but are losing focus or something other. That said, even if you do have the ability to FC a map, if you can't do it within 20-25 tries, odds are you won't do it within 200 either (save for FL). That's why I limit myself to 20 tries, and then I'll need to play at least 3 other maps before trying again, to clear my mind a bit. I think that retrying a map too often starts boring you and then you start losing focus (maybe that's why this stuff is happening to me. I should experiment playing with newly downloaded maps a lot) and that's why you'd miss.

There's a lot of variables when it comes to consistency so it's really hard to figure out how to deal with it, especially since it's a more abstract aspect of gameplay.
I'm not overthinking this shut up
Saphirshroom
I feel like the best way to counteract nervousness is to accept it. It's not like you can get rid of it anyway other than having a don't-give-a-fk-mentality which is almost impossible to achieve. Studies have shown (and as we all know, studies are 100% accurate and should be trusted blindly) that almost all musicians get symptoms of nervousness on stage - like high heart frequency and stuff. However, musicians that accepted and found joy in it were much less likely to make mistakes.
I do not have a source for this study but it does make sense. When you hate nervousness you'll just get nervous about being nervous and think about how you could get rid of it during playing.
RaneFire

Tess wrote:

That said, even if you do have the ability to FC a map, if you can't do it within 20-25 tries, odds are you won't do it within 200 either (save for FL). That's why I limit myself to 20 tries, and then I'll need to play at least 3 other maps before trying again, to clear my mind a bit.
That's a good start. You'll get more consistent and then that retry limit will get smaller. Imo if you start playing songs through to the end a lot, you'll get the picture a lot sooner whether you can FC something.

Also as Saphirshroom said, how you handle nervousness is very important. I have a different way of handling it than others, and I find mine to be more effective, while they find theirs to be. Up to you whether you want to stick a plaster over the problem, or solve the root cause, which can change depending on the person.
Topic Starter
Nyxa
So instead of treating it as nervosity/stage fright, I should treat it as excitement?

That actually sounds like a pretty neat idea
Omgforz
Easier said than done though, I would just start doing insane shit, once you started doing something really difficult you'll find easier stuff on which you were nervous before, a lot easier to deal with, because you're used to doing harder things. Or do whatever works for you, as for this it's just a mental thing. (can actually recommend the don't-give-a-fuck attitude, does wonders)

But in your case I would prefer actively splitting your time focusing constantly on a single thing. If you want to train consistency, just don't use retries, 20 as a limit is too huge.

If you want to train speed or stamina, go ahead, retry as much as you want, the more the better.

If you're going for 20 retries on a song and you just want to fc it, don't even think about your consistency and training it, retrying will not ruin your consistency, so you won't have any problems later on, sometimes you just want to retry a song a bunch of times, but for consistency's sake I wouldn't do it on every single song 24/7, because your consistency needs to grow in combination with your newly reached height of skill. (which actually HAS been reached due to you retrying)

Retying is not a bad thing, go ahead, just retry if you want to learn something new, whether it is reading, aiming or streaming.

The ideal work flow would be learning something once with retrying a lot, and then trying to get it down every time by training consistency.
sayonara_sekai
you're my favoritest poster on these forums Tess
nrl

Purple wrote:

All of my top ranks happened in less than a handful of retries. All of them. A lot were set in multiplayer rooms too. Consistency is a matter of mindset, and never retying fosters that mindset.
Topic Starter
Nyxa

Omgforz wrote:

Retying is not a bad thing, go ahead, just retry if you want to learn something new, whether it is reading, aiming or streaming.

The ideal work flow would be learning something once with retrying a lot, and then trying to get it down every time by training consistency.
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you.

I'm only capable of not giving a fuck offline or with nofail, or when I'm having an awesome-day. Still gotta find a workaround for that.

Narrill wrote:

Purple wrote:

All of my top ranks happened in less than a handful of retries. All of them. A lot were set in multiplayer rooms too. Consistency is a matter of mindset, and never retying fosters that mindset.
This is true, really. My best plays happen in 2 plays or less, 3 at best. My #1 play (which is like 50pp ahead of my #2) practically happened on the first try, since I retried it after 5 seconds for hitting too many 100s. It was also the only time I decided to play Diamond without HD. I really should train HD. I'm even better at FL.

phonics wrote:

you're my favoritest poster on these forums Tess
I'm not half as cool a poster as Obama though

To thank you guys for all the support, here are some uncommon tips that may or may not help you on your journey to peppy's fedora
  1. Eating lots of protein-rich foods like eggs or peanut butter or other proteiny stuff during training periods will help you recover and improve faster.
  2. The #1 thing that makes people hit a brick wall is mentality. You can't constantly improve, but you can continue improving if you believe in yourself.
  3. Sometimes corny advice is good advice. Don't listen to something just because it sounds cool.
  4. If you want to practice deathstreams, stream all day long. Whenever you're bored or in a waiting room, alternately tap your fingers at as high a speed as you're comfortable with, and try to maintain that until you start slowing down. Stop, wait for a few minutes, then start over. This may also help you become more accurate and rhythmically consistent.
  5. Playing Touhou helps with reading osu, as well as with staying focused for longer periods of time. I'm always more consistent after a good amount of Touhou practice.
  6. Drinking any caffeine-based drinks before playing, mainly energy drinks like red bull, give you a temporary boost in speed and focus. However, in my experience, once the boost is over I'm completely worn out, and drinking more energy doesn't bring me back.
  7. You'll get more FCs if you avoid songs/genres you don't enjoy listening to. It's easier to get distracted because there's not much interest in playing the map
  8. Jump maps don't help you train aim as much as fast sliderspam maps (Reiwai Terrorism, No,39, Adult's Toy, Talent Shredder, etc.) with HR. For fullscreen jumps though, the only good practice is high spaced maps. They don't have to be fast, as long as the spacing is big.
  9. When first practicing EZ, play it on slow AR8 maps. Once you're comfortable with that, add DT to those maps. The note density stays the same but you learn how to read low ARs at higher speeds.
  10. Practicing with FL only for a few days helps combat nervosity.
  11. Learning to map may make you more efficient with use of slider leniency (this happened for me but I don't know if it's the same for everyone)
  12. Your performances aren't what define you as a player. Your attitude and mentality do. Thinking you can't improve will lead to slow or no improvement.
    And lastly, and probably the most important one
  13. When you're trying out a new practice method, give it some time before giving up on it. Even if it feels horrible at first, just push through it for a while until you're sure it's not for you.
Wow that's pretty big I hope some of this helps

Thanks again~
winber1
the more you wish for something the less realizable it becomes

#link2014
Lhijn
finish the map you play, even if you missed, then play a different, continue
buRitos1337

Shiro wrote:

Never retry. Play a map, finish it, and play a different one.

Ok I legit do this so much and I can't FC any map ever on first try or after a farm
dung eater
Play easier maps if you want to fc. Keep playing/trying and don't stop if you miss/make mistake to train your consistency.

Play long maps. Short maps will feel very easy to focus in after.