forum

Would starting over be a good idea?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zein
I'm an overall casual player, and I would really like to improve.
My original (and current) mentality when it came to Osu was, just do whatever it takes to pass a map, and that's it. I would never try to get any good scores or overly repeat a map (when I started I did, but not anymore), so it resulted in me doing maps that were a bit harder than other people my rank could usually do with horrid accuracy. I don't care for PP or Rank though, what I care about is just getting better.

I've picked up some major flaws on the way though. I slider break a lot, I don't follow all sliders to the end, I suck at streams, I button mash, I don't really look at notes much, my accuracy is horrid (hovering around 90-91%), and I try too hard to do maps I just can't do.
These problems exist because I've never cared about any of that since starting. I was wondering if just starting over would be helpful?

By starting over I mean that I'd use either my current account, a keyboard smash-named smurf (so that I don't take a name someone may want in the future), or offline and try my best to S/SS lower stared maps, with different focus (i.e Jump maps, stream maps, etc). And after a set amount (100-300 per difficulty rating) of maps, I'd move on to the next until I get onto the types of maps I play on my main account.
Edit: No smurf, forgot it wasn't allowed. I am a stupid.

Thanks in advance for any input, and other suggestions for how to fix my overall gameplay would be appreciated!
Note: I'm also extremely rusty due to taking long breaks (can barely pass maps I breezed through before this break). If that's relevant.
silmarilen
short answer: no

long answer:
based on how you describe yourself as a player, it would indeed be a good idea to start all over and build yourself up again from ground level.
your options however are stupid.

Kyasma wrote:

a keyboard smash-named smurf (so that I don't take a name someone may want in the future),
if you want to get banned

Kyasma wrote:

or offline and try my best to S/SS lower stared maps
why would this be a better idea than just doing it online?
Topic Starter
Zein
Insightful (^:

edit: Yeah I realize that is pretty stupid.

I just feel like if I did it on my main my friends would pester me to play the kinds of map I try too hard to pass, but never do.
Full Tablet
Using another account is not allowed by the rules, you might get banned.

You can just start playing easier maps in your current account. Once you get better at the game you can just replace your low accuracy plays (also, your overall acc% won't be influenced by the low acc plays once your top performance list is filled with new scores).
Topic Starter
Zein
Do you guys think using mods would be helpful in the process?
Or should I work on playing with mods after I go through all this?
silmarilen
mods come after all this.
if you are stuck at some point you can try some mods, but for now stay off of them
Topic Starter
Zein
Thank you :).
Do you have any idea about how long I should stick on one difficulty?
silmarilen
until you can do the maps good enough for your satisfaction, but in general you want to be able to at least get close to 100% accuracy on maps that you can fc.
since you want to fix your basic skills, going for that is pretty much what you should do.
once you get that fixed you can start playing more difficult maps that you may not be able to fc, or have a hard time fcing. but dont forget to focus on that accuracy aswell. if you are getting 85% accuracy on a map, take a step back.
winber1
grab some popcorn and watch the hell brake loose
silmarilen

winber1 wrote:

brake
xasuma
aim to get ~95% on 2/3's of the songs you play.
winber1

silmarilen wrote:

winber1 wrote:

brake
intentionally accidental

hell has broken loose
Akali
No one cares what you play on your main account. My most played map is Gangnam Style on hard back from when I started playing the game and I regret nuthin
D e s

Akali wrote:

Gangnam Style
lol

@OP
practice offline, people will praise you for having low playcount
SomeLoli
It's true, people send me praise all the time.
Topic Starter
Zein

D e s wrote:

Akali wrote:

Gangnam Style
lol

@OP
ayy lmoa
Vuelo Eluko
i stay on my first account because I like using my # of hits/playcount vs my rank as a reminder of how hopelessly bad i am compared to other people.
sayonara_sekai

D e s wrote:

Akali wrote:

Gangnam Style
lol

@OP
then come back, set 15 new top scores and post on the forums after 2 months of zero playcount and claim your "computer broke" :lol:
I Give Up
If you are bad like me you won't get to #10k with 5k playcount. Play more then beat the other guy's top score.
good luck
Woobowiz

Akali wrote:

No one cares what you play on your main account. My most played map is Gangnam Style on hard back from when I started playing the game and I regret nuthin
To each our own Akali
dung eater
still no fc
Ohrami
at least the maps I played when I was a baby are actually decent
buny

Kyasma wrote:

I just feel like if I did it on my main my friends would pester me to play the kinds of map I try too hard to pass, but never do.
this is the kind of shit that makes me stop spectating people
Akali

Kyou-kun wrote:

at least the maps I played when I was a baby are actually decent
Everything you do is at least decent, most of it is perfect.
sayonara_sekai

jaaakb wrote:

still no fc

time well spent
Gumpy

phonics wrote:

jaaakb wrote:

still no fc

time well spent

plz
Nathan

This shit was just to get my first top 50
Xilver15
Yeah...that was just to pass it with HR

Vuelo Eluko

YAAAAAAAAAA~!!! STA KAAAA NA KA DA SHAAAA THE WAAAAH SKA DA SHAAA YSSSS SHAA YUUUUU VROOOOOOO
chainpullz

Xilver15 wrote:

True story. I sometimes contemplate playing with NF but then I scold myself for the stupidity and find a different map after 20-30 retries.
Nyxa

Kyasma wrote:

I've picked up some major flaws on the way though. I slider break a lot, I don't follow all sliders to the end, I suck at streams, I button mash, I don't really look at notes much, my accuracy is horrid (hovering around 90-91%), and I try too hard to do maps I just can't do.
Don't worry you're just an average inexperienced player.

Actually you're better because you're not blaming everyone but yourself for your lack of skill. Just practice the shit out of maps just above your comfort zone. If you can do 3 stars easily, play 3.3 stars for practice. When you can do those easily, do 3.5. Then make a jump to 4.0, whatever. As long as you're constantly pushing your limits (note that pushing your limits =/= LOL I PLAY BIG BLACK DT ON NOFAIL ALL DAY 4 PRACTIZ :3) and having fun you'll be fine.
Nyxa

chainpullz wrote:

Xilver15 wrote:

True story. I sometimes contemplate playing with NF but then I scold myself for the stupidity and find a different map after 20-30 retries.
Every time I put on NF I play better than without it, and same for offline play
It makes me cry
Vuelo Eluko

Tess wrote:

It makes me cry
i cant pass [Zetsubou!] without nofail, but when i put it on ive gone through the whole thing without running out of health

cruel stuff
otoed1

Tess wrote:

It makes me cry[/quote]
This is because your no longer nervous than when while you normally play. Playing NoFail makes you stop worrying so much. It's less stressful.
buny

Riince wrote:

Tess wrote:

It makes me cry
i cant pass [Zetsubou!] without nofail, but when i put it on ive gone through the whole thing without running out of health

cruel stuff
i can't even pass zetsubou ur so gud!
Vuelo Eluko

buny wrote:

i can't even pass zetsubou ur so gud!
bullshit on both accounts